Bruins 2019-2020

Created by: Breakaway
Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 4, 2019
Published: Mar. 4, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pretty simple here.

Backes moved to Minnesota w/ a prospect for something minimal. Probably have to retain a portion of his salary too.

Johansson out because of a lack of cap space.

Bjork recovers and wins a top 9 job to start the season.

Cehlarik and Heinen signed to affordable contracts.

McAvoy and Carlo sign long deals.

Chara comes back on a 4M deal.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
4$2,500,000
3$1,750,000
7$7,000,000
8$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,000,000
2$1,250,000
Trades
BOS
    Future Considerations. Maybe the right to swap 5th round draft picks next season or something.
    MIN
    1. Backes, David ($1,500,000 retained)
    2. Forsbacka Karlsson, Jakob
    Additional Details:
    Backes is from Minnesota so he'd likely waive his NTC to go there even though they are kind of retooling. They still have enough talent imo to make the playoffs and he'd be a useful piece to their team to help their young players learn to play the right way. He finishes every check and blocks shots.

JFK is the sweetener to get them to take Backes. The Bruins don't need him quite as much for the future if they resign Coyle at the end of his current contract.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,000,000$82,146,667$0$662,500$853,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,666,667$6,666,667
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 7:58 a.m.
    Doubt MIN take his contract since they want youngsters. Yet they get JFK but $6M is not small. Not sure if Acciari comes back and a D could be moved imo. Let's see.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 8:02 a.m.
    I think if you sign Carlo to a long term extension its gonna cost the bruins an extra million dollars at the minimum. I think its more likely he signs at a 3 year 4 mil extension. He's been fabulous for the most part this year and if he signs long term hes gonna get paid.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
    Quoting: ngikas
    I think if you sign Carlo to a long term extension its gonna cost the bruins an extra million dollars at the minimum. I think its more likely he signs at a 3 year 4 mil extension. He's been fabulous for the most part this year and if he signs long term hes gonna get paid.

He doesn't have the offensive numbers to justify the 4 million price tag. A 4 year, $12 million contract is more likely
    Breakaway liked this.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
    I think you have to sign Chucky and Carlo to bridge deals for our future, Chucky 3 years at 5.5 and Carlo at 3 at 3.5. Based on their injury history I think it is very fair. I doubt the Wild takes it unless we hold 2mill. on Backes contract.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 9:49 a.m.
    Bruins Fan
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    Doubt MIN take his contract since they want youngsters. Yet they get JFK but $6M is not small. Not sure if Acciari comes back and a D could be moved imo. Let's see.

I retained 1.5M making it only 4.5M.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 9:51 a.m.
    Bruins Fan
    Quoting: ajc
    I think you have to sign Chucky and Carlo to bridge deals for our future, Chucky 3 years at 5.5 and Carlo at 3 at 3.5. Based on their injury history I think it is very fair. I doubt the Wild takes it unless we hold 2mill. on Backes contract.

I think the Bruins want to sign them to long term deals though. I think that's the strategy in play here. If the Bruins had to retain 500K more they'd be able to do it.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 9:59 a.m.
    Pop Pop
    carlo is just tough to value. He is a top 4 guy but lacks offense but has great size and this year hes come a along way. I think maybe he signs a bridge deal 3 years 4 million per or even 2 year 4 mil and hopes he gets the offence up a bit more and can tip up to 6 million next contract.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.
    Quoting: Chopper02
    He doesn't have the offensive numbers to justify the 4 million price tag. A 4 year, $12 million contract is more likely

Just cuz he doesn't contribute offensively doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to get paid. He's been one of our most reliable and consistent defensemen on the team. Good on the PK, makes good decisions with the pucks, can skate well for his size and shows glimpses of offensive talent. I just don't think you can justify a contract for a defenseman based off numbers. Looking at his advanced stats briefly and not really knowing what they all mean, he fits into the the top 3 in pretty much every category, if not being in the top 2. One specifically that shows his impact on the ice is his oiSV% (even strength save percentage when player is on the ice) at .951. I just don't think you can pay a player less when he doesn't put up points when he's doing really well at what he does best and thats defend.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
    Just cuz he doesn't contribute offensively doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to get paid. He's been one of our most reliable and consistent defensemen on the team. Good on the PK, makes good decisions with the pucks, can skate well for his size and shows glimpses of offensive talent. I just don't think you can justify a contract for a defenseman based off numbers. Looking at his advanced stats briefly and not really knowing what they all mean, he fits into the the top 3 in pretty much every category, if not being in the top 2. One specifically that shows his impact on the ice is his oiSV% (even strength save percentage when player is on the ice) at .951. I just don't think you can pay a player less when he doesn't put up points when he's doing really well at what he does best and thats defend.

A 4 year, $3 million contract is getting paid for a young defensive defenseman with relatively no offense. If you think he deserves $5 million then every NHL fan thanks you for not being a GM. That would be Peter Chiarelli level bad and people would be calling for your head on a stake for paying a one dimensional defenseman $5 million.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
    A 4 year, $3 million contract is getting paid for a young defensive defenseman with relatively no offense. If you think he deserves $5 million then every NHL fan thanks you for not being a GM. That would be Peter Chiarelli level bad and people would be calling for your head on a stake for paying a one dimensional defenseman $5 million.

I said if they were to sign him long term such as the OP had at 8 years, he isn't going for 4 mil, it would be around 5 mil per year. Bridge contract will be 3 years for 4 imo. It's not an overpayment, I think that Carlo has gotten better every year, maybe not production wise but he's never gonna be a guy that puts up the points but overall as a defenseman he will be a top 2nd pair RHD in this league in the future. I also think trying to lock up both Charlie and Carlo long term this summer isn't the best idea for the bruins. They should look to bridge both of them imo.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 11:43 a.m.
    I said if they were to sign him long term such as the OP had at 8 years, he isn't going for 4 mil, it would be around 5 mil per year. Bridge contract will be 3 years for 4 imo. It's not an overpayment, I think that Carlo has gotten better every year, maybe not production wise but he's never gonna be a guy that puts up the points but overall as a defenseman he will be a top 2nd pair RHD in this league in the future. I also think trying to lock up both Charlie and Carlo long term this summer isn't the best idea for the bruins. They should look to bridge both of them imo.

Again, no doubt Carlo is really good defensively. But good enough to justify 4 mil? Not right now. Give it a couple years. Maybe a bridge deal at 3, 3.5 max and see where it goes
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 5:02 p.m.
    Bruins Fan
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    carlo is just tough to value. He is a top 4 guy but lacks offense but has great size and this year hes come a along way. I think maybe he signs a bridge deal 3 years 4 million per or even 2 year 4 mil and hopes he gets the offence up a bit more and can tip up to 6 million next contract.

Personally I don't think he's better than Trouba was when he got 3M per on a bridge deal.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
    Bruins Fan

He actually dipped his 2nd season imo. He's no better than Trouba was when he got a 3M bridge. That's basically fact. Plus add in the fact that Sweeney's done his best job on resigning guys with the two big names (Marchand + Pasta) getting less than they were thought to have deserved.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 7:12 p.m.
    Minnesota might be one of the few places Backes might actually waive to go to. There is no way Cehlarik is getting $1.75M, as a matter of fact I'd give him to the Wild if they take Backes. I'd even throw another draft pick on top. Cehlarik isn't in Bostons future plans IMO.

Quoting: Jfstompers

I agree it is probably in the Bruins best interest to bridge both McAvoy and Carlo. Especially if they can't move Backes.

Although Acciari has been a good soldier it is time to cut him loose so he can sign a bigger contract elswhere ala Nash and Schaller. I think we can all agree that not resigning those two was the right move. The $.5M savings in playing someone like Fitzgerald or Kuhlman might be needed for an addition at the next trade deadline.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.
    You are still short one skater and with little cap space left there is little you could add at the trade deadline. Sweeney likes his depth too much for the lineup to look like this.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 7:51 p.m.
    Bruins Fan
    Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
    Minnesota might be one of the few places Backes might actually waive to go to. There is no way Cehlarik is getting $1.75M, as a matter of fact I'd give him to the Wild if they take Backes. I'd even throw another draft pick on top. Cehlarik isn't in Bostons future plans IMO.

I agree it is probably in the Bruins best interest to bridge both McAvoy and Carlo. Especially if they can't move Backes.

Although Acciari has been a good soldier it is time to cut him loose so he can sign a bigger contract elswhere ala Nash and Schaller. I think we can all agree that not resigning those two was the right move. The $.5M savings in playing someone like Fitzgerald or Kuhlman might be needed for an addition at the next trade deadline.

I'd like to give him less money, but I think he has a chance to play well if he's got Coyle on his line. I think he's an alright player if he's paired with skill guys. I hope he gets the ice time down the stretch instead of Nordstrom on line 3. Nordstrom just isn't skilled enough to make anything happen.

As for Acciari; I could see it going either way. They signed Kuraly and guys like Wagner and Nordstrom to build a 4th line. I personally like what Acciari brings more than Nordstrom, so if anything I'd trade Nordstrom instead. Someone might want Nordstrom for future considerations.
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
    Bcarlo25

A 4 year contract is about as likely as aliens landing tomorrow. A 4 year deal off a 3 year elc has never happened in the cap era history
    Mar. 4, 2019 at 8:30 p.m.
    Bcarlo25

Actually, it’s the 4 year deal that would have fans and the owner calling for his head
    ngikas liked this.
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    Actually, it’s the 4 year deal that would have fans and the owner calling for his head

Length is irrelevant in this case. It could be 3, 4, 5, doesn't matter. It's the dollars. Money wise, Carlo is a $3 million defenseman max.
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Length is irrelevant in this case. It could be 3, 4, 5, doesn't matter. It's the dollars. Money wise, Carlo is a $3 million defenseman max.

No. Not even a little bit. The difference between 3 and 4 years is drastic. One has him as an rfa, one has him as a ufa.
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
    Bruins Fan
    No. Not even a little bit. The difference between 3 and 4 years is drastic. One has him as an rfa, one has him as a ufa.

I think it's gonna be 2 years if it's only 3M. Carlo's been good so it'd probably be hard to get him to sign for 3 years at 3M because that delays him getting a raise by another year.

Yeah he won't get a 4 year deal and be an UFA. There really isn't even much chance CMac gets one and he'd still be an RFA I believe because he didn't play the 40+ or whatever (i forgot the amount and too lazy to look up now) games needed in his first season to get a year of professional play towards UFA status.
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 8:38 p.m.

Focus on the money, not term! I dont give a **** about the term at this point. Money wise he's a 3 million dollar defenseman!
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Focus on the money, not term! I dont give a **** about the term at this point. Money wise he's a 3 million dollar defenseman!

No. Term matters. How can we pretend it doesn’t
    Mar. 5, 2019 at 9:15 p.m.
    No. Term matters. How can we pretend it doesn’t

You can make the term whatever you want. I don't care! If you want it to be 3, then make it three in your head. Point of this exercise is the money. 3 million per year for whatever term you want.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll