Forums/Armchair-GM

Kapanen for PesceMarleau 50

Created by: MarcShow
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 13, 2019
Published: Mar. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No idea what the NHL rules are on a flip then re-acquisition at 50% salary. Imagine the league frowns on a trade/buyout/sign like Orpik.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,275,000
3$9,616,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Marleau, Patrick
1$3,125,000
Trades
TOR
ARI
  1. Marleau, Patrick
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Marleau and a 2nd for a 7th, Coyotes then flip Marleau back to Leafs with 50% retained for another 2nd and the same 7th.
CAR
    Kapanen + whatever prospect(s) or pick(s) need to be added.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$83,000,000$82,706,532$0$482,500$293,468
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,275,000$2,275,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $9,616,000$9,616,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    Marleau, Patrick
    $3,125,000$3,125,000
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    The canes aren’t moving pesce for a package that’s built around Kapanen
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:21 p.m.
    Chicago
    The league probably frowns upon it, I'm curious to see at what point GMs would discuss in their annual meetings the idea of trading cap space for picks/prospects/roster players.

For example: AZ trades $,5,000,000 dollars in cap space to Tampa Bay for Cal Foote, Connor Ingram and a 1st round pick.

Never going to happen, and it's essentially cap circumvention, but it'd be interesting. Teams like AZ don't want to spend to the cap and this would be an interesting idea.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.
    Quoting: Bcarlo25

Switch in Nylander and re-sign Kappy? Or forget the trade all together. More curious about the trade/retention and trade back rules on contracts.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
    Quoting: NickC1988
    The league probably frowns upon it, I'm curious to see at what point GMs would discuss in their annual meetings the idea of trading cap space for picks/prospects/roster players.

For example: AZ trades $,5,000,000 dollars in cap space to Tampa Bay for Cal Foote, Connor Ingram and a 1st round pick.

Never going to happen, and it's essentially cap circumvention, but it'd be interesting. Teams like AZ don't want to spend to the cap and this would be an interesting idea.

Not only is cap circumvention the league could view it as cash (1/2 of Marleau's salary) for picks which is not allowed.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:42 p.m.
    Banned

Kapanen + a 2nd is more than fair for Pesce. Stop being anti-bias against the Leafs just cause it's not your team. That's a pretty good deal for both teams. Nylander is a massive overpayment. So that's not happening. Canes have been said to have significant interest in Johnsson and Kapanen. Toronto might be more likely to try to trade Johnsson depending on his contract demands, but I'd prefer it if they moved Kapanen just cause they have more right handed wingers than they do left. Carolina likes that Kapanen has his dad's connection to the team and he would slot in their top 6 immediately next season. It's a fair deal.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
    Quoting: jonesryan
    Kapanen + a 2nd is more than fair for Pesce. Stop being anti-bias against the Leafs just cause it's not your team. That's a pretty good deal for both teams. Nylander is a massive overpayment. So that's not happening. Canes have been said to have significant interest in Johnsson and Kapanen. Toronto might be more likely to try to trade Johnsson depending on his contract demands, but I'd prefer it if they moved Kapanen just cause they have more right handed wingers than they do left. Carolina likes that Kapanen has his dad's connection to the team and he would slot in their top 6 immediately next season. It's a fair deal.

Dude I like the leafs and even I know the value is way off lmao. Like I keep saying kappanen would struggle slotting in Carolina’s top 6. He could MAYBE take out Justin Williams next season but they have guys like Necas who very well could be better than kappanen. They’re not moving a guy who plays top 2/4 minutes depending on the season and does it extremely well for a guy who would struggle to make Carolina’s top 6. It’s just unrealistic. Kappanen away from the leafs dynamic offence and on Carolina could very well struggle heavily. He could be nothing more than a 3rd line forward on that team.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.

I think every time we see a kappanen for Pesce Trade we both comment lmao. I’m just gonna give up cause leafs fans will never understand that Kapanen doesn’t equal Pesce.
    LGBstl, Bcarlo25 and awesome liked this.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
    If Leafs want Pesce they have to give up Nyalnder or possibly Kadri but Kapanen and picks/prospects is not enough.
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mhockey91
    Dude I like the leafs and even I know the value is way off lmao. Like I keep saying kappanen would struggle slotting in Carolina’s top 6. He could MAYBE take out Justin Williams next season but they have guys like Necas who very well could be better than kappanen. They’re not moving a guy who plays top 2/4 minutes depending on the season and does it extremely well for a guy who would struggle to make Carolina’s top 6. It’s just unrealistic. Kappanen away from the leafs dynamic offence and on Carolina could very well struggle heavily. He could be nothing more than a 3rd line forward on that team.

There's nothing to back up your opinion of Kapanen falling out of Carolina's top 6. He would slot in there. What wingers would replace him? Teraveinen. Maybe a Svechnikov. That's about it. Ferland will be gone. Kapanen could easily slot in beside Aho. And the 2 have played together and played well at the World Juniors. Yes it's a different stage of hockey, but it shows they have chemistry together. Kapanen is one of the top 5-10 speed guys in the league. With the game trending more and more towards speed and skill, Kapanen is an ideal guy to excel in a top 6 role. He's got an insane shot, just doesn't use it enough. He's been seen as a guy since he was drafted with top 6 potential. He's playing with Matthews frequently and showing that he can maintain that level of play so playing with Aho and excelling shouldn't be a problem.
    There's really no reason to believe he wouldn't be in a top 6 role in Carolina immediately except anti-Leafs bias. All these people on here saying Kapanen isn't what he is, then wanting to overpay him in an offer sheet is kinda hilarious. Plus I said Carolina would be getting a 2nd in the deal, which absolutely makes it more than fair.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo

It’s actually a good idea to keep teams with less money more competitive. I could see some really crazy offers as teams compete to buy cap space. This could also help rebuilding teams to rebuild faster.

You’re absolutely right though, it would never happen.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
    Still a Leafs Fan

like the idea. The league certainly would not want this but its something that i cant see being an issue moving forward. One team gives up something to give them an advantage. Win win
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
    There's nothing to back up your opinion of Kapanen falling out of Carolina's top 6. He would slot in there. What wingers would replace him? Teraveinen. Maybe a Svechnikov. That's about it. Ferland will be gone. Kapanen could easily slot in beside Aho. And the 2 have played together and played well at the World Juniors. Yes it's a different stage of hockey, but it shows they have chemistry together. Kapanen is one of the top 5-10 speed guys in the league. With the game trending more and more towards speed and skill, Kapanen is an ideal guy to excel in a top 6 role. He's got an insane shot, just doesn't use it enough. He's been seen as a guy since he was drafted with top 6 potential. He's playing with Matthews frequently and showing that he can maintain that level of play so playing with Aho and excelling shouldn't be a problem.
    There's really no reason to believe he wouldn't be in a top 6 role in Carolina immediately except anti-Leafs bias. All these people on here saying Kapanen isn't what he is, then wanting to overpay him in an offer sheet is kinda hilarious. Plus I said Carolina would be getting a 2nd in the deal, which absolutely makes it more than fair.

Kappenen would be a #6 forward in their top 6 for next season with Aho, tero, neideretier all clear cut better right now, schenikov who will most likely be better next season; and Jordan staal whose a centre. Maybe not even depending on Justin Williams. He’s having a great year (more points than kappanen on a worse team) So with that being said kap will have to fight for a top 6 spot with Justin Williams while guys like Necas are also gonna be making a push. Carolina could easily keep Pesce and sign a guy to slot into their top 6 as well. I don’t see nylander as anything else than a product of his situation which is fine; there’s nothing wrong with that, but he doesn’t hold the value to bring in a great shut down D like Pesce. Yeah sure he’s fast but that’s about it. His shot is unnoticeable, and I watch him a lot being in Ontario and his hands are nothing special. He’s a “more finish” version of Carl Hagalin. (No pun intended).
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mhockey91
    Kappenen would be a #6 forward in their top 6 for next season with Aho, tero, neideretier all clear cut better right now, schenikov who will most likely be better next season; and Jordan staal whose a centre. Maybe not even depending on Justin Williams. He’s having a great year (more points than kappanen on a worse team) So with that being said kap will have to fight for a top 6 spot with Justin Williams while guys like Necas are also gonna be making a push. Carolina could easily keep Pesce and sign a guy to slot into their top 6 as well. I don’t see nylander as anything else than a product of his situation which is fine; there’s nothing wrong with that, but he doesn’t hold the value to bring in a great shut down D like Pesce. Yeah sure he’s fast but that’s about it. His shot is unnoticeable, and I watch him a lot being in Ontario and his hands are nothing special. He’s a “more finish” version of Carl Hagalin. (No pun intended).

That might be the worst analysis of Nylander I've heard lmao
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
    That might be the worst analysis of Nylander I've heard lmao

I meant kappenen obviously, was typing away at work.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 7:53 p.m.
    Chicago
    Quoting: Gauss
    Not only is cap circumvention the league could view it as cash (1/2 of Marleau's salary) for picks which is not allowed.

I know it's not allowed. I'm just saying with the amount of teams that don't want to spend money and the amount of teams constantly fighting the cap, it makes the league less competitive.
    Mar. 14, 2019 at 7:56 p.m.
    its not allowed. The Orpik situation shouldn't have been allowed probably but it wasn't a trade back to the same team. That is the loophole they took advantage of most likely.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll