Who is more valuable
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 19, 2019 at 2:57 p.m.
Who's more valuable, Hughes or Makar
Mar. 22, 2019 at 3:49 a.m.
Quoting: aspina25
Who's more valuable, Hughes or Makar

Makar...No question whatsoever right now. Makar will have the benefit of playing alongside the MacKinnon line, one of the top lines in the NHL. Hughes could make an immediate impact next season, but in my opinion, Alex Edler will still be VAN's top offensive D. If COL trades Tyson Barrie, Makar could be the Avs' #1 D as soon as next season. Makar is also better defensively at this point. I see Hughes as being similar to Werenski or maybe Gostesbehere.
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 6:20 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Makar...No question whatsoever right now. Makar will have the benefit of playing alongside the MacKinnon line, one of the top lines in the NHL. Hughes could make an immediate impact next season, but in my opinion, Alex Edler will still be VAN's top offensive D. If COL trades Tyson Barrie, Makar could be the Avs' #1 D as soon as next season. Makar is also better defensively at this point. I see Hughes as being similar to Werenski or maybe Gostesbehere.

The question wasn't as much about the impact they'll have on their respective teams as it was about who is the better player of the 2.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.
Below Market Value
The question wasn't as much about the impact they'll have on their respective teams as it was about who is the better player of the 2.

Personally I prefer Hughes just because his skating is so elite which is a very valuable tool in today's NHL. I haven't watched much of Makar, but just from looking at the numbers he has the better offensive tools of the two. Makar is also a year older which swings the comparable numbers in his favor. It's hard to go wrong with either.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
Its undoubtedly Makar, look at any recent prospect rankings
Mar. 22, 2019 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: moli92
Its undoubtedly Makar, look at any recent prospect rankings

Not in Pronman's (who I trust infinitely more than Button)
He's got Hughes at 1 and Makar at 10.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Not in Pronman's (who I trust infinitely more than Button)
He's got Hughes at 1 and Makar at 10.

How long ago was that ranking from? I dont have a subscription to the athletic so im actually curious
Mar. 22, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Below Market Value
How long ago was that ranking from? I dont have a subscription to the athletic so im actually curious

January 15 was his most recent ranking. His top ten were

1. Hughes
2. Necas
3. Tippett
4. Zadina
5. Hayton
6. Kyrou
7. Denisenko
8. Kupari
9. Glass
10. Makar
Mar. 22, 2019 at 5:13 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
January 15 was his most recent ranking. His top ten were

1. Hughes
2. Necas
3. Tippett
4. Zadina
5. Hayton
6. Kyrou
7. Denisenko
8. Kupari
9. Glass
10. Makar

Thanks

I have a hard time understanding some of these rankings. Owen Tippett has lower production in the OHL this season than he had last season. As a 20 year old he has 1.37 P/GP in the OHL as a winger and is ranked ahead of Hayton who is 1.5 years younger and is producing 1.69 P/GP in the same league. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Same with Makar and Hughes. I get that Makar is a year older but he has much higher production and carried UMass from a bad team to one of the best in the country while Michigan has trended down this season. Maybe im biased but I dont see how Hughes could be ranked higher than Makar.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 9:50 p.m.
Thanks

I have a hard time understanding some of these rankings. Owen Tippett has lower production in the OHL this season than he had last season. As a 20 year old he has 1.37 P/GP in the OHL as a winger and is ranked ahead of Hayton who is 1.5 years younger and is producing 1.69 P/GP in the same league. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Same with Makar and Hughes. I get that Makar is a year older but he has much higher production and carried UMass from a bad team to one of the best in the country while Michigan has trended down this season. Maybe im biased but I dont see how Hughes could be ranked higher than Makar.

Pronman gives each player a ranking on skating, puck skill, physical game and hockey sense (plus shot grade for forwards) on a 20-80 point scale. Makar got 65-60-40-60. Hughes got 70-65-35-65. Tippett got 55-65-45-65-60.
Mar. 22, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.

Are you sure that's not Jack Hughes at #1?
Mar. 22, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Are you sure that's not Jack Hughes at #1?

Jack isn't a team-affiliated prospect
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
Below Market Value
Thanks

Yeah, I don't usually pay attention to his actual rankings since they can be all over the place; I usually just focus on his actual write-ups about the prospects. Here's what he said about Makar:

"Makar returned for his sophomore season at UMass, where he’s been the best player on one of the better teams in the nation. He’s one of the best puck rushers you’ll see, as his great speed combined with his skill level can make him a nightmare to handle for defensemen when he’s coming up the ice. He’s at his best on the rush, but he’s also a very smart player who can make the tough passes. Makar will never be the best defender as a pro due to his size, but at the collegiate level, he’s defended more than fine. The 2017 fourth-overall pick by the Avs will likely sign and suit up for them this spring."
Mar. 25, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I see Hughes being the better skater of the two, and having a guy that transports the puck up the ice like that is an amazing luxury to have. But Makar is better in the offensive zone, and is right handed. That alone may make Makar more valuable, regardless of who ends up becoming the "better" player. But Doc got it right when he said that you can't go wrong with either. Both have the potential to be high end #1s in the NHL.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit