SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Nicolas Petan (2 Years / $775,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 27, 2019 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Just because you put up points in the AHL means absolutely nothing. There are tons of PPG AHL players that will never play an NHL game in their Career.
Once again, points don't mean everything.

Correct - but they do give you higher POTENTIAL ....
Mar. 28, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: drewjenks
Yeah ....

The D leading the AHL in points is a potential #5 .... and the D with the best D+1 stats in decades is a potential #3 ......

Rosen is already 25, so he's about as good as he's gonna get. He's likely a #4 at best.
HabsForEver liked this.
Mar. 28, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Rosen is already 25, so he's about as good as he's gonna get. He's likely a #4 at best.

He's not gonna ever be a #4. If you aren't good enough to play top 6 minutes in the NHL at 24, chances are, you aren't ever going to become a full time NHLer
Apr. 2, 2019 at 11:41 p.m.
Just because you put up points in the AHL means absolutely nothing. There are tons of PPG AHL players that will never play an NHL game in their Career.
Once again, points don't mean everything.

Correct .... but his points aren't the reason he's one of the best defense in the AHL .... it's his whole game.

The points just underscore the fact that if he makes the NHL he has top 4 potential .... and we're talking about potential.

If Montreal drafts a player 2nd overall because he had 100 points in the OHL .... do people say he has top line potential .... or do they say OHL points mean nothing ?
Apr. 2, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

That's fine.

Rosen has to prove he can defend at the NHL level.

But a point per game at the AHL level translates to roughly 0.6 points per game at the NHL level (historically .... people make charts).

So even if he doesn't improve ... he's a potential 40-50 point player as long as he can keep pucks out of his net.

Which makes him a potential top 4 defensman.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 6:00 a.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
1 season with 1 of the best forward groups in the league doesn't make him a #1, it also doesn't help that his TOI is around 23 minutes, usually around what a #2-3 gets, it shows babcock doesnt trust him like a #1, and rightfully so, hes average at best defensively and there are mamy Dmen in the league that are better than rielly but arent even the best on their team

This is factually incorrect

23 minutes is not a #2-3. It is a #1 to maybe number 2. Here is Rielly ties for 30th in the league at 23:05 http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,30&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

For the record a #2-3 (or mid 60s) came in at about 21:20.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 6:06 a.m.
He's not gonna ever be a #4. If you aren't good enough to play top 6 minutes in the NHL at 24, chances are, you aren't ever going to become a full time NHLer

You are correct that undrafted free agents who don't establish themselves early are rarely much. But they are a unique group with the odd gem and Rosen has had consistent growth in his game over the years. There are always the great exceptions (rafalski, Dan Boyle, etc), but realistically I think he is comfortably looking like an an NHL defenseman (read as someone who will have a few years of NHL saralies), and has a pretty decent shot at being a second pairing defenseman. I think expecting more than that is nuts, and hoping for more than that is likely dreaming.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 7:33 a.m.
Correct .... but his points aren't the reason he's one of the best defense in the AHL .... it's his whole game.

The points just underscore the fact that if he makes the NHL he has top 4 potential .... and we're talking about potential.

If Montreal drafts a player 2nd overall because he had 100 points in the OHL .... do people say he has top line potential .... or do they say OHL points mean nothing ?

OHL points mean nothing. The teams don't look at a players offensive production in juniors to determine a players production. They look at everything else
Apr. 3, 2019 at 7:34 a.m.
That's fine.

Rosen has to prove he can defend at the NHL level.

But a point per game at the AHL level translates to roughly 0.6 points per game at the NHL level (historically .... people make charts).

So even if he doesn't improve ... he's a potential 40-50 point player as long as he can keep pucks out of his net.

Which makes him a potential top 4 defensman.

LMAO. Cmon bud. He won't ever be any more than a #6 defensemen
Apr. 3, 2019 at 7:39 p.m.
OHL points mean nothing. The teams don't look at a players offensive production in juniors to determine a players production. They look at everything else

OK sure they mean "nothing".

Solid input.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 7:41 p.m.
LMAO. Cmon bud. He won't ever be any more than a #6 defensemen

Same with Juulson I guess.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 10:18 p.m.
Same with Juulson I guess.

I guess so. Even though he has proved otherwise
Apr. 4, 2019 at 1:04 a.m.
I guess so. Even though he has proved otherwise

Why?

He's in the AHL after a stint in the NHL.

Same as Rosen - but no where near the performance of Rosen this year.

I'm just using your logic here.
Apr. 4, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Why?

He's in the AHL after a stint in the NHL.

Same as Rosen - but no where near the performance of Rosen this year.

I'm just using your logic here.

Juulsen is hurt. Not in the AHL.

You are using my logic, but it's not the same situation
Apr. 5, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
Juulsen is hurt. Not in the AHL.

You are using my logic, but it's not the same situation

TBH your logic just seems to imply that nothing that happens outside the NHL matters (in predicting NHL performance).

That's not true.

IF Rosen is (or becomes) an NHL level defender and earns a spot in the league ....

His AHL production indicates that he can produce points at a top 4 level in the NHL (possibly even top 2 level).

No one is guaranteed to reach the potential of their skill set though .... so I don't know if Rosen will be a top 4 NHL defensmen (or even stick in the NHL at all).

But he definitely has the potential to be one ... since which is all I ever claimed.

And being 25 doesn't erase his potential ... he's a late bloomer that vastly improved over the last 2 years (opposite of a Griffen Reinhart situation).
Apr. 5, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
TBH your logic just seems to imply that nothing that happens outside the NHL matters (in predicting NHL performance).

That's not true.

IF Rosen is (or becomes) an NHL level defender and earns a spot in the league ....

"His AHL production indicates that he can produce points at a top 4 level in the NHL (possibly even top 2 level)."

No one is guaranteed to reach the potential of their skill set though .... so I don't know if Rosen will be a top 4 NHL defensmen (or even stick in the NHL at all).

But he definitely has the potential to be one ... since which is all I ever claimed.

And being 25 doesn't erase his potential ... he's a late bloomer that vastly improved over the last 2 years (opposite of a Griffen Reinhart situation).

His AHL production indicates that he can produce points at a top 4 level in the NHL (possibly even top 2 level).

Christ, can't wait until Matt Taormina starts winning consecutive Norris's. That will be cool.

There isn't even an argument here. Nothing he does makes me think he will ever become a quality NHL defensemen.

In 3 Games this year

1G 0A 1P -2

Damn. you might just be right. His 46 AHL points means he is next in line for the Norris!
Apr. 5, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.

Christ, can't wait until Matt Taormina starts winning consecutive Norris's. That will be cool.

There isn't even an argument here. Nothing he does makes me think he will ever become a quality NHL defensemen.

In 3 Games this year

1G 0A 1P -2

Damn. you might just be right. His 46 AHL points means he is next in line for the Norris!

Nice 3 game sample size.

You need a bigger sample .... for example:

Juulsen = 44 NHL Games = 2 goals / 8 points
Mete = 119 NHL Games = 0 goals / 20 points

See? Both of these guys are guaranteed busts.

Not the guy with 3 GP ...... LMAO.

Your logic awesome face
Apr. 5, 2019 at 7:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Nice 3 game sample size.

Your logic awesome face

I agree with you that the Leafs are depending on Rosen to make the team next year. With Reilly, Muzzin and Rosen at LHD....Leafs just might be OK. Who knows maybe the Leafs solidify at RHD and Dermot stays at LHD. And if Rosen isn't good enough to stay a Leaf his 750,000 contract doesn't affect the cap

Gee, why all this hatred by Hab fans for Rosen. It's not like the Leafs are paying him 4.625m to play in Laval.....as a premier UFA signing.
drewjenks liked this.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 7:41 p.m.

In 3 Games this year

1G 0A 1P -2

Quoting: palhal
I agree with you that the Leafs are depending on Rosen to make the team next year. With Reilly, Muzzin and Rosen at LHD....Leafs just might be OK. Who knows maybe the Leafs solidify at RHD and Dermot stays at LHD. And if Rosen isn't good enough to stay a Leaf his 750,000 contract doesn't affect the cap

Gee, why all this hatred by Hab fans for Rosen. It's not like the Leafs are paying him 4.625m to play in Laval.....as a premier UFA signing.

HabsForEver is clearly upset because the Habs missed the playoffs and will miss out on a top 10 pick.

We should probably give him a break .... Price had a great season and it still wasn't enough to punch their ticket.

He's won't be this good for many of his next 8 years .... neither will Weber .... but they'll be stuck with the $20,000,000 until their both 40 .... and they don't have any top prospects.

So lets give him a pass on this one.Confused
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:34 p.m.
Nice 3 game sample size.

Your logic awesome face

Like my logic says. Point production means absolutely nothing. These guys are both in the NHL because they are capable of it. Their jobs aren't to produce points. It's to play defense. Your logic is that since Rosen has put up good points in the AHL, it will translate to the NHL. It has not done that. It's only 3 games because that's all that he has played.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:35 p.m.

I have no reason to hate Rosen. I could care less about him. I would take him on Laval because he can put up points.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:36 p.m.
HabsForEver is clearly upset because the Habs missed the playoffs and will miss out on a top 10 pick.

We should probably give him a break .... Price had a great season and it still wasn't enough to punch their ticket.

He's won't be this good for many of his next 8 years .... neither will Weber .... but they'll be stuck with the $20,000,000 until their both 40 .... and they don't have any top prospects.

So lets give him a pass on this one.Confused

Believe it or not, I didn't want the Habs to make the playoffs. I would rather take my chances in the draft lottery and perfect the team next season. Everything else you said in that statement was obviously just a troll, so it doesn't warrant a response.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:51 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I have no reason to hate Rosen. I could care less about him. I would take him on Laval because he can put up points.

Rosen at Laval? Gee and bump Alzner to the ECHL?
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:56 p.m.
Rosen at Laval? Gee and bump Alzner to the ECHL?

Nawh. Alzner has definitely benefited Laval. Apparently he is a big leader down there. Rosen would add some good depth to Laval's defense.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:58 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Nawh. Alzner has definitely benefited Laval. Apparently he is a big leader down there. Rosen would add some good depth to Laval's defense.

"Leader" is just a word that fans use for justifying having a player who has no useful purpose but eats up cap and takes roster spot from a more deserving player. Rocket has the third worse record in the conference with maybe the highest paid roster

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit