Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2019
Published: Mar. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Draft:
#9. (LW) Matthew Boldy (USNTDP)

I think that the new Oilers management would need McDavid's blessing to take a season to perform some addition-via-subtraction. The wings are not substantially improved, but the PK, blueline, and goaltending should be, which might just be enough to keep Edmonton in wildcard contention all season.

There is no legitimate Lucic trade where the Oilers don't get royally screwed. The buyout cost is disgusting, but it guarantees that he's off the roster. Not retaining on him allows Edmonton to use their salary retentions on Russell and Sekera.

Next season, Brodziak, Gagner, Kassian, Manning, the Gryba buyout, and all of the one-year UFA placeholder deals expire. Benson, Bouchard, Jones, Marody, Starrett, and Yamamoto would be NHL regulars, occupying those spots on cheap deals for the time being. Odds are Koskinen is bought out as well, the only tough deals to manage will be extensions for Brown and Nurse. Works out to $15.8M off the books and $9.4M on the books in RFA extensions and rookies before bonuses. Net space of just over $6M. Larsson, the Pouliot buyout, and the Russell and Sekera retentions come off the books the next year, freeing up an additional $10M in cap space. Boldy, due to competition ahead of him, can take a year in the AHL to progress his game and provide to be a cheap option once RNH and the other kids need a pay raise.

The team is paying $11.258M dollars for 7 guys to not play for them. Ridiculous how poorly managed this team has been.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$855,833
2$720,000
2$720,000
2$825,000
3$839,166
3$839,166
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
2$850,000
2$1,350,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,250,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
2$1,950,000
4$6,700,000
3$3,333,333
Trades
EDM
  1. 2020 4th round pick (FLA)
FLA
  1. Russell, Kris ($2,000,000 retained)
EDM
  1. 2020 5th round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Sekera, Andrej ($2,750,000 retained)
EDM
  1. 2021 5th round pick (NJD)
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$82,522,832$0$0$477,168

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$1,950,000$1,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
RD
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Emil_Sweden
I think edmlnton n
Mar. 25, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Emil_Sweden
Edited Mar. 25, 2019 at 2:03 a.m.
I think edmlnton needs Sekera until Bouchard and Bear is fulltime rooster. He is a good player. I guess he will be traded mayve next season. If anyone of the NMC boys go, its Russel. Lucic can be traded retainef like 1,5 - 2 $ +with a prospect + 2nd rounder + maybe a pick more for a less bad contract, like Pearson vancouver. But it will be hard I guess. But its better than buy him out. Have you seen the cost year 2? RW looks still horrible.

Good thing for edmonton is they having a coming logjam at defence, so they can make profitable trades
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
Quoting: EmilFo
I think edmlnton needs Sekera until Bouchard and Bear is fulltime rooster. He is a good player. I guess he will be traded mayve next season. If anyone of the NMC boys go, its Russel. Lucic can be traded retainef like 1,5 - 2 $ +with a prospect + 2nd rounder + maybe a pick more for a less bad contract, like Pearson vancouver. But it will be hard I guess. But its better than buy him out. Have you seen the cost year 2? RW looks still horrible.

Good thing for edmonton is they having a coming logjam at defence, so they can make profitable trades

Agree with most of this. A Lucic trade with $3M retained won't cost much (if anything) in terms of assets, and a Sekera buyout saves $3M immediately which is $6M saved going forward - better than the plan above.

But you're right, they shouldn't buyout Sekera, it's not a great idea*. And the trades above are crap: Sekera with nothing retained is worth more than a 5th, Russell is worth less than Sekera and Benning is worth more than Brown. He's got the values all wrong.

* Although I think between Lagesson, Gravel, Benning and Persson they could put together a decent 3rd pairing, so a Sekera trade/buyout wouldn't kill the team.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 11:36 a.m.
Emil_Sweden
Edited Mar. 25, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: CD282
Agree with most of this. A Lucic trade with $3M retained won't cost much (if anything) in terms of assets, and a Sekera buyout saves $3M immediately which is $6M saved going forward - better than the plan above.

But you're right, they shouldn't buyout Sekera, it's not a great idea*. And the trades above are crap: Sekera with nothing retained is worth more than a 5th, Russell is worth less than Sekera and Benning is worth more than Brown. He's got the values all wrong.

* Although I think between Lagesson, Gravel, Benning and Persson they could put together a decent 3rd pairing, so a Sekera trade/buyout wouldn't kill the team.

Edmintin has tre hardest offseason if all teams, that makes them interessting to challange. What thry first nees to do is scan tge leauge of who is willing to take prospects and high picks for Lucics contract, then see if they can retain only 1 ' 1,5 m$,and or three or four years. Eait one year, then shoot away also Sekera for anything. After Lucics gone, Nurse and Kassian gets even morr needed thoughness. Defence is young but inexperienced. Larsson and Benning needs to stay if Bouchard anc Bear cant rake heavy load. If anyone can, trade the D with besg value in market. I suspect both Yamamoto and Puljujlrvi is development failures. Draisaitl and McD needs though and hardchecking wingers with some playingsense. Pulju doesnt fit the team at all. . Needs a trade.edmonyon in a year needs a top UFA winger, and needs to save cap for that purpose + Nurse contract. Thats the ground.

Next step for succes is a good 3C. Next problem is that Nuge is a good player, bad center with poor faceoff, and for his toolbox highly overpaid and hard to trade for value, cause I think edm. Needs another cheaper 3C. Nuge is a 6 m winger, thats bad value - but is also bad tradebait. Edmonton finds smart 3C for max 4$. That would be perfect piece to the puzzle - then trade Nuge, maybe even retained - value back is most imporrant for edmonton for the future.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 12:17 p.m.
Edited Mar. 25, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Edmintin has tre hardest offseason if all teams, that makes them interessting to challange. What thry first nees to do is scan tge leauge of who is willing to take prospects and high picks for Lucics contract, then see if they can retain only 1 ' 1,5 m$,and or three or four years. Eait one year, then shoot away also Sekera for anything. After Lucics gone, Nurse and Kassian gets even morr needed thoughness. Defence is young but inexperienced. Larsson and Benning needs to stay if Bouchard anc Bear cant rake heavy load. If anyone can, trade the D with besg value in market. I suspect both Yamamoto and Puljujlrvi is development failures. Draisaitl and McD needs though and hardchecking wingers with some playingsense. Pulju doesnt fit the team at all. . Needs a trade.edmonyon in a year needs a top UFA winger, and needs to save cap for that purpose + Nurse contract. Thats the ground.

Next step for succes is a good 3C. Next problem is that Nuge is a good player, bad center with poor faceoff, and for his toolbox highly overpaid and hard to trade for value, cause I think edm. Needs another cheaper 3C. Nuge is a 6 m winger, thats bad value - but is also bad tradebait. Edmonton finds smart 3C for max 4$. That would be perfect piece to the puzzle - then trade Nuge, maybe even retained - value back is most imporrant for edmonton for the future.

Ok, that was a tough read but my Swedish is non-existent, so I'll give you a pass and try to respond. I'm giving my opinion only as there are undoubtedly many ways to fix the mess that Chiarelli left, and we can't possibly know the correct one without a crystal ball.

- Edmonton has the hardest offseason: probably true, but it isn't anything of historic proportions. Boston dealt with a similar situation when Chiarelli let and they were able to shed about $21M in cap in one summer. This has been done before. Of note: there are no high profile RFA's this summer that are being blocked by the legacy contracts, so there isn't as much cap pressure as some teams have.
- who is willing to take prospects and high picks for Lucics contract: the Lucic contract isn't necessarily the first priority. It's large and no doubt they'd like to move on (player and team), but it won't be an easy move and the only reason to pay significant assets to do so is if there is a UFA deal on the table that won't fit under the cap. There are other contracts that are easier to move in that case. Oh, and if you retain it has to be over the duration of the contract, you can't do it for 1 or 2 years.
- Defence is young but inexperienced: no it isn't. Sekera and Russell are in their 30's, Larsson and Klefbom are in their primes and are veterans. Even Nurse will be starting his 5th full year of NHL hockey. Bouchard and Bear will likely play in the AHL next year, the team President has stated this several times already. If anyone is traded it will most likely be one of Sekera or Russell, with a veteran UFA coming in to replace them.
- I suspect both Yamamoto and Puljujlrvi is development failures: you are basing this on what? How many 22nd overall picks are playing in the NHL 1.5 years later? Yamamoto has played 26 NHL games, only one player picked after him has played more. Your expectations are completely unrealistic. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html
As for Puljujarvi, he's only 20 and has been playing with hip issues for some time now, that inhibited his skating ability. He's younger than Jordan Kyrou, who many still talk about as a top prospect. Again, premature to make the call on this player.
- Pulju doesnt fit the team at all. . Needs a trade: disagree. Look at his numbers with McDavid (and McDavid's numbers with JP) and you'll see that they work very well together. This while JP has been playing through pain.
- edmonyon in a year needs a top UFA winger: not sure about this, I think they'd do better getting 2 or 3 mid-range wingers instead. I know you said "in a year", but I'll give you an example from this summer: they could probably sign all of Connolly, Ferland and Donskoi for about the same money as Panarin. Which makes the team better?
Mar. 25, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Emil_Sweden
Ok, that was a tough read but my Swedish is non-existent, so I'll give you a pass and try to respond. I'm giving my opinion only as there are undoubtedly many ways to fix the mess that Chiarelli left, and we can't possibly know the correct one without a crystal ball.

- Edmonton has the hardest offseason: probably true, but it isn't anything of historic proportions. Boston dealt with a similar situation when Chiarelli let and they were able to shed about $21M in cap in one summer. This has been done before. Of note: there are no high profile RFA's this summer that are being blocked by the legacy contracts, so there isn't as much cap pressure as some teams have.
- who is willing to take prospects and high picks for Lucics contract: the Lucic contract isn't necessarily the first priority. It's large and no doubt they'd like to move on (player and team), but it won't be an easy move and the only reason to pay significant assets to do so is if there is a UFA deal on the table that won't fit under the cap. There are other contracts that are easier to move in that case. Oh, and if you retain it has to be over the duration of the contract, you can't do it for 1 or 2 years.
- Defence is young but inexperienced: no it isn't. Sekera and Russell are in their 30's, Larsson and Klefbom are in their primes and are veterans. Even Nurse will be starting his 5th full year of NHL hockey. Bouchard and Bear will likely play in the AHL next year, the team President has stated this several times already. If anyone is traded it will most likely be one of Sekera or Russell, with a veteran UFA coming in to replace them.
- I suspect both Yamamoto and Puljujlrvi is development failures: you are basing this on what? How many 22nd overall picks are playing in the NHL 1.5 years later? Yamamoto has played 26 NHL games, only one player picked after him has played more. Your expectations are completely unrealistic. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html
As for Puljujarvi, he's only 20 and has been playing with hip issues for some time now, that inhibited his skating ability. He's younger than Jordan Kyrou, who many still talk about as a top prospect. Again, premature to make the call on this player.
- Pulju doesnt fit the team at all. . Needs a trade: disagree. Look at his numbers with McDavid (and McDavid's numbers with JP) and you'll see that they work very well together. This while JP has been playing through pain.
- edmonyon in a year needs a top UFA winger: not sure about this, I think they'd do better getting 2 or 3 mid-range wingers instead. I know you said "in a year", but I'll give you an example from this summer: they could probably sign all of Connolly, Ferland and Donskoi for about the same money as Panarin. Which makes the team better?

Yeah, small keys, bugger fingers made text a mess. Sry about that. We van only hope that pulju was i injured. From whst I heard, draisaitl and McD find it hard to play with him, doesnt fi theirs style oc play, no matter what numbers say. So he will be a Nuge winger. Prob 3 line. Yamamoto ineeds a ton of developement, I think he needs at least two more years. Prob bedt stampled wiyj McDavid than Drais.I find Russel anx sekera good fur the team and is needed until someone otheg plays better. Not many of Sekeras caliber is moving to edm as a FA

AND to lasy. Koskinens contract was mega stupid and maube gonna be bought out soon
Mar. 25, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Yeah, small keys, bugger fingers made text a mess. Sry about that. We van only hope that pulju was i injured. From whst I heard, draisaitl and McD find it hard to play with him, doesnt fi theirs style oc play, no matter what numbers say. So he will be a Nuge winger. Prob 3 line. Yamamoto ineeds a ton of developement, I think he needs at least two more years. Prob bedt stampled wiyj McDavid than Drais.I find Russel anx sekera good fur the team and is needed until someone otheg plays better. Not many of Sekeras caliber is moving to edm as a FA

AND to lasy. Koskinens contract was mega stupid and maube gonna be bought out soon

- We van only hope that pulju was i injured: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-jesse-puljujarvi-undergo-season-ending-hip-surgery/

- I heard, draisaitl and McD find it hard to play with him, doesnt fi theirs style oc play: Link? Lots of rumours around, I don't think either guy has made that statement at any time.

- Yamamoto ineeds a ton of developement, I think he needs at least two more years: that would be pretty normal, although his scoring rates are better than any of the forward prospects that were drafted right behind him, and a few that were drafted ahead, too.

7. Anderson 6 goals in 36 AHL games NHLE: 6.64
11. Vilardi 0 goals in 4 AHL games
12. Necas 14 in 55 AHL games NHLE: 10.14
22. Yamamoto 10 in 27 AHL games NHLE: 14.76
24. Vesalainen 4 in 12 AHL games NHLE: 13.28
25. Poehling 8 in 35 NCAA games NHLE: 6.24
28. Bowers 11 in 37 NCAA games NHLE: 9.58
30. Tolvanen 12 in 49 AHL games NHLE: 9.76
31. Kostin 8 in 58 AHL games NHLE: 5.50

Glass (6), Tippet (10), Suzuki (13) and Frost (27) are still in junior so I didn't include their seal-clubbing stats. Rasmussen (9) and Thomas (20) are in the NHL but have scored just 8 goals in 62 and 63 games, respectively. Chytil (21) has 10 in 70 NHL games. Even though he's battled injuries this year, I'd say Yamamoto is developing ahead of his peer group. Nothing to worry about here.

- I find Russel anx sekera good fur the team and is needed until someone otheg plays better: I agree. I''d like to see a puck-moving 2RD replace Russell, but he isn't doing too badly in that spot.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Emil_Sweden
- We van only hope that pulju was i injured: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-jesse-puljujarvi-undergo-season-ending-hip-surgery/

- I heard, draisaitl and McD find it hard to play with him, doesnt fi theirs style oc play: Link? Lots of rumours around, I don't think either guy has made that statement at any time.

- Yamamoto ineeds a ton of developement, I think he needs at least two more years: that would be pretty normal, although his scoring rates are better than any of the forward prospects that were drafted right behind him, and a few that were drafted ahead, too.

7. Anderson 6 goals in 36 AHL games NHLE: 6.64
11. Vilardi 0 goals in 4 AHL games
12. Necas 14 in 55 AHL games NHLE: 10.14
22. Yamamoto 10 in 27 AHL games NHLE: 14.76
24. Vesalainen 4 in 12 AHL games NHLE: 13.28
25. Poehling 8 in 35 NCAA games NHLE: 6.24
28. Bowers 11 in 37 NCAA games NHLE: 9.58
30. Tolvanen 12 in 49 AHL games NHLE: 9.76
31. Kostin 8 in 58 AHL games NHLE: 5.50

Glass (6), Tippet (10), Suzuki (13) and Frost (27) are still in junior so I didn't include their seal-clubbing stats. Rasmussen (9) and Thomas (20) are in the NHL but have scored just 8 goals in 62 and 63 games, respectively. Chytil (21) has 10 in 70 NHL games. Even though he's battled injuries this year, I'd say Yamamoto is developing ahead of his peer group. Nothing to worry about here.

- I find Russel anx sekera good fur the team and is needed until someone otheg plays better: I agree. I''d like to see a puck-moving 2RD replace Russell, but he isn't doing too badly in that spot.

OK, so if we will agree on a list. I would say for Edmonton main thing is
1. Wait out this year of the Lucic contract, 3 years let is easier to handle than 4 years left. Deal with it for at least 1 or 2 more years - then trade or buy out.
2. Who is to TRADE (Don´t want a buy out for this players)Sekera, Russel, or Koskinen, if we want to get capspace?
3. Or is the answer trading Nugent Hopkins? He is too valuble for the forwardpart, but too bad value to that money. Trading Brodziak?
4. Fixing the 3C, or at least 1 wing option, with this small amout of cap. Is it just to go with the same team for one year, and let the new preospects compete and fight for a roosterspot. I think it is.

sign Chiasson, Gambardella, , sign Puljujärvi to lowest cost possible. Don´t sign Rattie.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
OK, so if we will agree on a list. I would say for Edmonton main thing is
1. Wait out this year of the Lucic contract, 3 years let is easier to handle than 4 years left. Deal with it for at least 1 or 2 more years - then trade or buy out.
2. Who is to TRADE (Don´t want a buy out for this players)Sekera, Russel, or Koskinen, if we want to get capspace?
3. Or is the answer trading Nugent Hopkins? He is too valuble for the forwardpart, but too bad value to that money. Trading Brodziak?
4. Fixing the 3C, or at least 1 wing option, with this small amout of cap. Is it just to go with the same team for one year, and let the new preospects compete and fight for a roosterspot. I think it is.

sign Chiasson, Gambardella, , sign Puljujärvi to lowest cost possible. Don´t sign Rattie.

One of my creatons:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/209339

1. After July 1st this summer Lucic's contract only has $16M left, or $4M per year on average. I think it's movable with retention for a late pick - no sweetener. Or, as I showed in the mock above, for another bad contract in return, one that is a position of need and can be bought out without much headache. Summer of 2020 Lucic will have $10M and 3 years left, so $3.33M per year. This is also an option.
2. Russell would be my #1 target, but only if I can get a replacement signed. Who would mind the net if we traded Koski?
3. I don't trade Nuge. He's hugely valuable to the Oilers, probably moreso than to another team, so they're unlikely to overpay for him. He is NOT bad value for money, you won't be able to replace him with a UFA for anything close to $6M. I have no issue with trading Brodziak, but he isn't going to create much space - you could just bury him in the minors.
4. Hard to fix anything with the cap space, true. But I think the new GM will do some drastic cutting this summer to create space.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll