Forums/Armchair-GM

Cap Space and Myers Elliot Ferland

Created by: RWellington
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 25, 2019
Published: Mar. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton needs to rid themselves of 2-3 pricey contracts this offseason, find talented wingers to fit in the top 6 and sign a 1B goalie who can play 20-30 times if need be. Build around McDavid, Drai, RNH & Klefbom

The contract that everyone can agree on that needs to go is Lucic, how you remove said contract is up for debate. Couple (3) options: 1. Buyout, its ugly and in the 4 years of contract remaining it saves you $5M ($3,625,000 + $5,625,000 + $4,125,000 + $5,625,000 = $19M) in cap space (an additional 4yrs of $625K still owed). However, the addition by subtraction community seems to feel this option is perfectly fine and sadly i tend to agree. It would allow a younger talent like Tyler Benson as an example to play more significant minutes in the NHL assuming he is ready.
Option 2. is a equally bad contract coming back (forget it being a LTIR contract, they dont count against the cap, insurance pays the money owed and Lucic would count directly against someone's cap) The obvious candidates are Bobby Ryan, Corey Schneider, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Callahan and maybe Ilya Kovalchuk. If i'm GM and my only option is too deal Lucic for a bad deal contract I would have time for Ryan, Callahan and Kovy. They would each require sweeteners but they address an area of weakness in EDM. Callahan is super unlikely due to his NTC and Tampa needs to shed salary in order to sign Point. Kovy has a NMC and says no to EDM plain and simple. Ryan at seasons end will have 3 more years @ $7.25M but has 39pts (which would be 4th currently on EDM). Ryan is possible however his deal contains a NMC and you would need to sweeten the deal in order for OTT to consider it.
Option 3. Retained Salary trade. This could be the most beneficial option to moving Lucic however there is plenty of debate within Oilers AGMs on the subject, which basically boils down to "how much are you willing to retain and add as a sweetener" to move Lucic? I've pushed the idea and seen many variations of a $3M RS (1/2 cap hit max retain) + 2nd round pick + prospect (mid level) in return of a bottom six $2M player. I've floated the idea of a 3 way retained salary deal which saw multiple teams retain $2M and EDM adding 3rd round picks in exchange for bottom six forwards. In the AGM world it seems great however i dont think its worth the price to essentially pay someone to take Lucic. After smashing my head thinking about how to "re"move lucic i come to the same conclusion time after time, buyout the player. If it is going to cost EDM 2nd & 3rd round picks to remove the player why do it? They need those picks to either trade for NHL talent or to stockpile prospects, the buyout savings is mediocre at best however it provides minor cap flexibility and EDM needs it more than ever now.

Kris Russell: It is public knowledge that Kris Russell prefers Western Canada & Mid-west USA and when he submits his 10 team trade list this summer it will likely include CGY, VAN, WPG, CHI, STL, MIN, COL and of those teams only a few seem like realistic targets VAN & STL. Teams are able to retain salary on 3 contracts total, if you arent retaining salary on Lucic but expect to retain on Sekera and possibly Koskinen down the way if it doesnt work out you could consider retaining on Russell to improve the return / increase the viability of a trade. EDM should look to deal Russell in return for a bottom six forward however cap space is preferable as there are a few UFA options available.
Andre Sekera: Sekera has shown well since his return but has shown exactly what many thought he would with decreased foot speed and slower response time. Dealing Sekera depends on EDMs ability to move Lucic and Russell and his 15 team trade list (I have no idea where he would wanna be at) . He provides good leadership and knowledge to the young players (Jones, Bear, Lagesson) however at $5.5M is a serious contender to be shopped. His departure wouldnt be the worst move considering the pipeline of incoming D seems to be working and a trade involving Sekera would open up a spot on the 3rd pair.
Sam Gagner: This one may sting because he has been wonderful in his return to EDM however @ $3.15M his buyout equals $2M in savings this year upcoming and if cap space is needed this is an easy find. I would do everything in my power to move Lucic, Russell, Sekera and Manning before i entertained a Gagner trade or buyout.
Zack Kassian: Moving Kassian is not about cap savings to me it would be about potential return and i would only entertain it at the 2020 TDL if and only if EDM is on the outside of the playoff picture.
Darnell Nurse: What is DN next contract going to look like? Is DN a 30pt guy or a 40pt guy? His play in the 2019/2020 season is going to show lots, i believe he will begin to project and really show where he belongs. If his next contract ask is $5M+ they may consider moving him for a scoring forward.
Adam Larsson: Much like DN Larssons play in the 2019/2020 season is going to show lots and EDM needs to be realistic in evaluating Larsson. He could be used as a trade chip to find a true #1 RHD but then again @$4.5M AAV in a 2nd pairing role he brings a lot of value.
Matt Benning: What is Benning away from Sekera? EDM should consider dealing Benning in favour of the young prospects coming in.
Brandon Manning: leave buried in the minors his contract ends at the end of the 2020 season and buying him out provides nothing in savings.
Kyle Brodziak: Honest trade value is a late round pick at the TDL (no value in moving him before the deadline)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$850,000
2$750,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
5$5,500,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
Draft floor trade
STL
  1. Russell, Kris ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2019 6th round pick (EDM)
MTL
  1. Sekera, Andrej ($1,500,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the STL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$81,388,665$0$70,000$1,611,335
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA
$950,000$950,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$741,666$741,666
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Shaw (27) is having a career year. Sekera (32) is just trying to find his game again after two back to back injury plagued seasons. I'm not sure why Montreal would take a risk on soon to be 33 year old Sekera over a guy that is literally playing great for them.

Until Sekera, plays roughly 70+ games and has like 20+ points in a season, he will be considered a cap dump in any trade. His NTC detracts from his value even further since you'd have half the teams for him to accept to.

The best EDM can hope for is a swap with another teams cap dump player. Something like a Phaneuf, Dubinsky, Macdonald, etc. The goal for both teams would be that they both rekindle their careers with a new team. Nothing more.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 4:51 p.m.
RW90
Quoting: F50marco
Shaw (27) is having a career year. Sekera (32) is just trying to find his game again after two back to back injury plagued seasons. I'm not sure why Montreal would take a risk on soon to be 33 year old Sekera over a guy that is literally playing great for them.

Until Sekera, plays roughly 70+ games and has like 20+ points in a season, he will be considered a cap dump in any trade. His NTC detracts from his value even further since you'd have half the teams for him to accept to.

The best EDM can hope for is a swap with another teams cap dump player. Something like a Phaneuf, Dubinsky, Macdonald, etc. The goal for both teams would be that they both rekindle their careers with a new team. Nothing more.

I could see EDM needing to add something in order to make the trade happen but i disagree MTL would be risking it to take on Sekera.

MTL LHD next season (currently under contract) Mete, Reilly (RFA), Kulak (RFA) and Alzner. They may address the area in free agency but they have a clear short coming on LHD and Sekera would fit well. Sekera has done himself and the Oilers well in returning from injury and i wouldnt doubt other teams will have taken notice. Prior to the last 2 seasons Sekera has remained relatively healthy since coming to the NHL.

Assuming the NTC would devalue Sekera is fair when talking about a commodity like Lucic. But not when talking about Sekera, he has value and teams wont be able to drive the value down to buying at 50 cents on the dollar. Assuming the "best EDM can hope for is a swap with another teams cap dump player" is wrong, dont be surprised if he is moved with retained salary for a lesser cap hit this summer (Smith in OTT or Cogliano inDAL) Also your list of possible players doesnt make much sense: Macdonald has 1 year after this season @ $5 not sure why philly would add term and cap. Phaneuf has a NTC and is not coming to a Canadian market again. Why would CBJ move Duby for Sekera as they are deep on the back end?
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Quoting: RWellington
I could see EDM needing to add something in order to make the trade happen but i disagree MTL would be risking it to take on Sekera.

MTL LHD next season (currently under contract) Mete, Reilly (RFA), Kulak (RFA) and Alzner. They may address the area in free agency but they have a clear short coming on LHD and Sekera would fit well. Sekera has done himself and the Oilers well in returning from injury and i wouldnt doubt other teams will have taken notice. Prior to the last 2 seasons Sekera has remained relatively healthy since coming to the NHL.

Assuming the NTC would devalue Sekera is fair when talking about a commodity like Lucic. But not when talking about Sekera, he has value and teams wont be able to drive the value down to buying at 50 cents on the dollar. Assuming the "best EDM can hope for is a swap with another teams cap dump player" is wrong, dont be surprised if he is moved with retained salary for a lesser cap hit this summer (Smith in OTT or Cogliano inDAL) Also your list of possible players doesnt make much sense: Macdonald has 1 year after this season @ $5 not sure why philly would add term and cap. Phaneuf has a NTC and is not coming to a Canadian market again. Why would CBJ move Duby for Sekera as they are deep on the back end?

Going to have to agree to disagree hard on this one. Lots of shining light up Sekera's back end with little but going into the pats to justify it..... Truth is he's 33 by the time this trade would happen and the Habs are not looking for 33 year old vets on the blueline. Especially ones that are oft injured. Saying Habs are weak on LHD so they should want Sekera is like saying EDM should want David Backes because they are weak on the wing. There other options on defence that would be less risky, cheaper, and more effective than Sekera.

Shaw, even if he isn't the player everyone thinks he is, is still having a career year, is way younger and is a player MB actively went out to get. There is zero incentive here for Montreal. As for the NTC, it absolutely does play a factor. Its one more added notch that sekera has that Shaw's contract doesn't. If ever this trade went through, there is more flexibility with Shaw than with Sekera.

Regardless, the stats back it up. Sekera is not playing up to snuff and injuries are a huge part of that. Shaw is however. No one risks losing a player that is already playing well for them for a player that is currently not playing well for the other team he's playing on AND is injured a lot. It simply does not make sense. Habs don't need LHD THAT badly.

Those players I mentioned above are just examples of players teams would trade in exchange for Sekera right now with no salary retained. Players like that but not precisely those players. The point was to find a comparable player on a team that isn't worth their contract and has similar term and cost as Sekera does.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
So you're accepting an ugly buyout so you can overpay Ferland??

*pukes*
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.
RW90
Quoting: CD282
So you're accepting an ugly buyout so you can overpay Ferland??

*pukes*

Are you suggesting keeping Lucic instead ? shakes head

Don't disagree its an overpay (90% of UFA signings are overpays imo) but i wouldnt doubt someone pays him in the $4M realm... Use Tom Wilson as a comparable and Ferland is going to be looking at a nice pay raise.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
Are you suggesting keeping Lucic instead ? shakes head

Don't disagree its an overpay (90% of UFA signings are overpays imo) but i wouldnt doubt someone pays him in the $4M realm... Use Tom Wilson as a comparable and Ferland is going to be looking at a nice pay raise.

I have repeatedly made my position on Lucic clear. Here, for instance: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/210153
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:58 p.m.
RW90
Quoting: F50marco
Going to have to agree to disagree hard on this one. Lots of shining light up Sekera's back end with little but going into the pats to justify it..... Truth is he's 33 by the time this trade would happen and the Habs are not looking for 33 year old vets on the blueline. Especially ones that are oft injured. Saying Habs are weak on LHD so they should want Sekera is like saying EDM should want David Backes because they are weak on the wing. There other options on defence that would be less risky, cheaper, and more effective than Sekera.

Shaw, even if he isn't the player everyone thinks he is, is still having a career year, is way younger and is a player MB actively went out to get. There is zero incentive here for Montreal. As for the NTC, it absolutely does play a factor. Its one more added notch that sekera has that Shaw's contract doesn't. If ever this trade went through, there is more flexibility with Shaw than with Sekera.

Regardless, the stats back it up. Sekera is not playing up to snuff and injuries are a huge part of that. Shaw is however. No one risks losing a player that is already playing well for them for a player that is currently not playing well for the other team he's playing on AND is injured a lot. It simply does not make sense. Habs don't need LHD THAT badly.

Those players I mentioned above are just examples of players teams would trade in exchange for Sekera right now with no salary retained. Players like that but not precisely those players. The point was to find a comparable player on a team that isn't worth their contract and has similar term and cost as Sekera does.

You're putting words in my mouth and youre picking and choosing stats that you see relevant. You're painting a picture that sees Sekera as a 1 legged hobo no better than Karl Alzner, yet seem to ignore the fact EDMs D has been much improved since his return, he makes his d partner better and many of his linemates too. In his career prior to last 2 seasons Sekera was consistently healthy player. And 33 is not the end of an NHL career ( go to players and sort them by age see how many impact D are still playing above the age of 33 )

MTL's depth on LHD would factor in to them trading for a player like Sekera because either they really like the player and feel like he would improve their team or that the options in free agency arent what they are searching for (and no doubt there may be cheaper less risky options available in free agency) but no one said because they are thin on LHD that they want to deal for Sekera so dont be dramatic and delusional. They would "want" to deal for Sekera because he is a fit.

Forget the return if Shaw is too much of an asset loss, even though i remember MTL fans running him outta town last season. The point of the deal is i see MTL as a viable trading partner for a few reasons: they have cap space, lack LHD depth and could include a forward with salary and term in return.

What stats show "Sekera is not playing up to snuff"?
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
RW90
Quoting: CD282
I have repeatedly made my position on Lucic clear. Here, for instance: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/210153

Am i supposed to go hunt through someone elses thread because you didnt pick up on sarcasm?
Mar. 26, 2019 at 1:03 p.m.
You're putting words in my mouth and youre picking and choosing stats that you see relevant. You're painting a picture that sees Sekera as a 1 legged hobo no better than Karl Alzner, yet seem to ignore the fact EDMs D has been much improved since his return, he makes his d partner better and many of his linemates too. In his career prior to last 2 seasons Sekera was consistently healthy player. And 33 is not the end of an NHL career ( go to players and sort them by age see how many impact D are still playing above the age of 33 )

MTL's depth on LHD would factor in to them trading for a player like Sekera because either they really like the player and feel like he would improve their team or that the options in free agency arent what they are searching for (and no doubt there may be cheaper less risky options available in free agency) but no one said because they are thin on LHD that they want to deal for Sekera so dont be dramatic and delusional. They would "want" to deal for Sekera because he is a fit.

Forget the return if Shaw is too much of an asset loss, even though i remember MTL fans running him outta town last season. The point of the deal is i see MTL as a viable trading partner for a few reasons: they have cap space, lack LHD depth and could include a forward with salary and term in return.

What stats show "Sekera is not playing up to snuff"?

Not putting words in anyone's mouth? Only giving my opinion. Nowhere did I say he's equivalent to Alzner. I just think you are painting the 33 year old 5.5M Sekera to be a solid top 4 right now but frankly there isn't anything to support it. You saying he's making his line mates better is irrelevant. He's playing bottom pairing minutes, hasn't produced offensively, is at the age when injuries take huge tolls on players, is still paid a lot for services he more than likely won't be able to fulfill etc etc

Is he the worst player to ever live? No. Is he an AHL'er? No. Nowhere did I say this. But there is nowhere that shows he is what he once was and there is ample data to show that players at that age will decline, especially ones that are oft injured like Sekera has been for the past two years. Yeah yeah I know he was good when he was 30 but that is a long time ago and lots has changes since then. I love my Shea Weber but he is not the same Weber he was in Nashville. He has gotten significantly slower and its quite apparent. He has been through two bad injuries as well btu you know what he has? Data to support that he can still play at a high level. As high as he once was at? No but at least still a high level. Sekera has played on avg 16 mins a game this season and last. He hasn;t scored a goal in over two years. He was only worth his contract before he got injured, now? How can you justify it? You can't.

Injuries do play a huge part in ones value. Same thing for Tanev in Vancouver. Guy is a good player but he ALWAYS injured. What good is a player that doesn't play? What can Sekera do to prove people wrong? He can come back and prove he can stay healthy. If Sekera plays 75+ games next year and scores 20+ points, then he has shown that he still has it in him. Then we can talk turkey but until then..........not much to support the risk.

NOW, I have advocated for trading for Sekera. He's a LHD, yes but that isn't my grand objective. My objective is that EDM needs to trade Sekera more than Montreal needs Sekera on their team. Montreal has cap space to burn and EDM needs more cap space. Therefore we can help each other out but if you think I am actively going after Sekera because of his ability, think again. I'm taking him off your hands with a draft pick and in exchange I'd give you a roster player that no longer fits my roster but may fit yours and is also cheap so that you get the cap space you'd want. Which is the main goal for EDM in that deal. Otherwise, keep Sekera then. Any number of Reilly, Kulak, or any other free agent cheapish dman will be able to give the Habs what Sekera has been able to give these past couple years and the real bonus for us..... I don't have to lose Shaw for that risk. Who as I said is playing well. Increasing his value from what it once was.

"Forget the return if Shaw is too much of an asset loss, even though i remember MTL fans running him outta town last season. The point of the deal is i see MTL as a viable trading partner for a few reasons: they have cap space, lack LHD depth and could include a forward with salary and term in return."

You offered, I gave the response I would give if offered but since this comment rather irked me, lets play game then shall we? Let's go back in time and trade to 16-17 and trade Shaw for Sekera. Deal? Oh no?Didn't think so. Unless your completely naive to the fluctuation in values of anything in life, surely you can see that a players value can increase and decrease depending on his play. That's generally how valuation works. So yeah, Shaw is out of the question, not because he is an all star, but because he is giving the Habs value right now. Sekera guarantees nothing right now because there is nothing to ensure he lives up to his contract. His play wouldn't even get him into the Habs lineup right now. Reilly has been a decent habs dman this yera and he is a 7th dman currently. We'd have to take the risk that he plays like 16-17 again and stays healthy. Then we'll see the benefit of that trade. Now judging by ages and typically how players careers go, whose more likely to decline right now? Shaw or Sekera? This isn't rocket science. 33 isn't the end of a players career but it sure isn't his prime either. Generally speaking players don't get better after their 30's. That is compounded even more with a player who goes through two back to back big injuries during their 30's. It doesn't always mean they'll fall off the earth, take Weber for example. Still playing quite well for the Habs. Whats Sekera's excuse? Weber still plays top pairing minutes and produces. Sekera has been relegated to bottom pairing in both seasons.....

"What stats show "Sekera is not playing up to snuff"?"

Plays avg 16 mins a night due to his play. Hasn't scored a goal in over two years and the points the offense is non existent. Has played less than 30% of the games of the past two years. Etc etc etc Do we need to go any further? Is that completely indicative? No, but there's no beating around the bush, other players with injuries have come back and still looked like a shell of their former self. Sekera doesn't look like the 5.5M player he once was and I don't think anyone wants to risk losing an asset to find out if he ever does.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll