SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Jonathan Gruden (3 Years / $802,500 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 3, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.
Jonathan Gruden has signed a new contract with the Ottawa Senators.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Pierre Dorion
Length: 3 years
Value: $2,490,000
Expiry Status: RFA
Cap % Tooltip: 0.99
Signing Team: Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
Signing Date: Apr. 3, 2019
Source: CapFriendly

Jonathan Gruden signed a 3 year, $2,490,000 contract with the Ottawa Senators on Apr. 3, 2019. The contract has a cap hit of $788,333.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2019-20$815,833$830,000$82,500ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDE
2020-21$788,333$802,500$42,500$82,500$700,000$782,500$70,000
2021-22$788,333$802,500$0$82,500$750,000$832,500$70,000
2022-23$788,333$802,500$0$0$750,000$750,000$70,000
TOTAL$3,180,832$3,237,500$42,500$247,500$2,117,500$2,365,000$210,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $787,500
Apr. 3, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Mixed feelings about this. I like Johnny G, but I don't think he's close to ready. Could have really benefited from a couple more seasons of college hockey.

Would think he's CHL bound, because I don't think he's ready for pro hockey.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
Head coach, TV analyst, hockey player, he does it all.
Apr. 3, 2019 at 5:06 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Mixed feelings about this. I like Johnny G, but I don't think he's close to ready. Could have really benefited from a couple more seasons of college hockey.

Oh yeah! He's your typical London Knight bound player. Just based on highlights, I think he'll develop much better in the OHL than in Ohio! And hopefully, he can play a role on the US world juniors Team.
Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:20 p.m.
Banned

yeah I agree completely, he should have stayed in the NCAA or went to the canadian leagues for at least another year.
Apr. 4, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
yeah I agree completely, he should have stayed in the NCAA or went to the canadian leagues for at least another year.

Apparently Ottawa may have had concerns about his school's Development Program. If that's the case, I'm totally okay with the team pulling him out and getting him into the London system.

I'd be concerned if he actually turned pro next year.
Apr. 4, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.
Banned
Apparently Ottawa may have had concerns about his school's Development Program. If that's the case, I'm totally okay with the team pulling him out and getting him into the London system.

I'd be concerned if he actually turned pro next year.

there are easier solutions, like transferring schools.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
there are easier solutions, like transferring schools.

If you transfer schools, you have to sit out an entire year before being eligible to play again. So that wasn't really an option.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ThatGuy
If you transfer schools, you have to sit out an entire year before being eligible to play again. So that wasn't really an option.

actually I know this rule well and I'm not sure that is true. First off he has to be on scholarship. I don't know if he is or isn't.
Second
"An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does."

You can simply ask for the waiver which would most likely be given.

It's a tricky subject but the fact that it's hockey and not division one basketball or football, he has a lot more options.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
actually I know this rule well and I'm not sure that is true. First off he has to be on scholarship. I don't know if he is or isn't.
Second
"An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does."

You can simply ask for the waiver which would most likely be given.

It's a tricky subject but the fact that it's hockey and not division one basketball or football, he has a lot more options.

You cleverly left out the first part of your quote: ''An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may.......''

Not being happy with your ice time, or wanting to join a better team isn't considered to be a specific, extraordinary circumstance. You can't simply ask for a waiver.

Jumping from one school to another doesn't happen in NCAA Div I. It's a pretty standard and well-known practice.

''Requiring student-athletes to sit out of competition for a year after transferring encourages them to make decisions motivated by academics as well as athletics. Most student-athletes who are not eligible to compete immediately benefit from a year to adjust to their new school and focus on their classes.''

The first purpose of NCAA is getting your education. They don't want universities to be run like an OHL team.

Nice try though
Apr. 5, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
You cleverly left out the first part of your quote: ''An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may.......''

Not being happy with your ice time, or wanting to join a better team isn't considered to be a specific, extraordinary circumstance. You can't simply ask for a waiver.

Jumping from one school to another doesn't happen in NCAA Div I. It's a pretty standard and well-known practice.

''Requiring student-athletes to sit out of competition for a year after transferring encourages them to make decisions motivated by academics as well as athletics. Most student-athletes who are not eligible to compete immediately benefit from a year to adjust to their new school and focus on their classes.''

The first purpose of NCAA is getting your education. They don't want universities to be run like an OHL team.

Nice try though

you clearly left out the part where there were questions about the hockey organization as being the reason he went pro. Which is clearly a "extraordinary circumstance". The waiver rule is there for a reason, aka so kids aren't stuck in a bad program negatively effecting their growth. That isn't good for the NCAA or the kid.
On top of it, we don't know if he has a scholarship. If there isn't one he can do anything he wants. He was a 4th round pick not a 1st round pick. He might not be riding on a scholarship.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
you clearly left out the part where there were questions about the hockey organization as being the reason he went pro. Which is clearly a "extraordinary circumstance". The waiver rule is there for a reason, aka so kids aren't stuck in a bad program negatively effecting their growth. That isn't good for the NCAA or the kid.
On top of it, we don't know if he has a scholarship. If there isn't one he can do anything he wants. He was a 4th round pick not a 1st round pick. He might not be riding on a scholarship.

1) What does scholarships have to do with anything?
2) Doesn't matter if there are questions regarding the hockey program. You technically go to school for the education.
Apr. 6, 2019 at 12:59 a.m.
Banned
1) What does scholarships have to do with anything?
2) Doesn't matter if there are questions regarding the hockey program. You technically go to school for the education.

1. If you aren't on scholarship you can transfer and play there is no waiting period at all.
2. that isn't true. Players have been moved from all leagues in the NCAA over program issues. Now I don't know what the issue is, the other user above noted it. But if there is a fundamental issue there you could get a waiver. Not to mention you can easily PC fabricate an issue and be done with it. I know this for a fact. I have seen kids transfer to other schools for "family reasons" and get a waiver. Lets not pretend the NCAA is some straight and narrow organization. It's never been that.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
1. If you aren't on scholarship you can transfer and play there is no waiting period at all.
2. that isn't true. Players have been moved from all leagues in the NCAA over program issues. Now I don't know what the issue is, the other user above noted it. But if there is a fundamental issue there you could get a waiver. Not to mention you can easily PC fabricate an issue and be done with it. I know this for a fact. I have seen kids transfer to other schools for "family reasons" and get a waiver. Lets not pretend the NCAA is some straight and narrow organization. It's never been that.

Can you name me one NHL player who transferred schools during his NCAA career?
Apr. 8, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
Can you name me one NHL player who transferred schools during his NCAA career?

I know in football Shea Patterson did it.

It's hard to name them off hand because most of them aren't well know, and most kids go into a school on a scholarship.

I know a lot of a lot of NCAA players transfer on the (4-2-4) transfer rule and have immediate eligibility.

But you are looking for NHL players. People who have that skill level most likely are on a scholarship which makes it impossible to not sit. If you are on scholarship, as I said above you have to sit. But if you aren't the rules are different for you. You don't owe the school anything because you are paying for your experience. You are a walk on.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
I know in football Shea Patterson did it.

It's hard to name them off hand because most of them aren't well know, and most kids go into a school on a scholarship.

I know a lot of a lot of NCAA players transfer on the (4-2-4) transfer rule and have immediate eligibility.

But you are looking for NHL players. People who have that skill level most likely are on a scholarship which makes it impossible to not sit. If you are on scholarship, as I said above you have to sit. But if you aren't the rules are different for you. You don't owe the school anything because you are paying for your experience. You are a walk on.

Ok, football is very different and not a good comparable. There roster size is like 500 whereas the hockey roster is 30ish.

I don't know any hockey players who transferred schools. I know a lot of players who opted out of school to go play in the CHL. Especially after being drafted. So to say it's an easier solution to transfer schools, I completely disagree regardless of whatever loophole you were able to dig up.

And you keep talking about scholarship / non-scholarship transfers? Wanna send me a link?
Apr. 8, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
Ok, football is very different and not a good comparable. There roster size is like 500 whereas the hockey roster is 30ish.

I don't know any hockey players who transferred schools. I know a lot of players who opted out of school to go play in the CHL. Especially after being drafted. So to say it's an easier solution to transfer schools, I completely disagree regardless of whatever loophole you were able to dig up.

And you keep talking about scholarship / non-scholarship transfers? Wanna send me a link?

It's directly on the NCAA page.

"If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship."

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
Apr. 8, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
It's directly on the NCAA page.

"If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship."

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Thanks. You are right.

When I first read it, I interpreted it a different way. So I learned something today.

That being said, most Div 1 hockey teams don't usually have open tryouts (like football teams would). I guarantee you that 99% of the players playing div1 are recruited. Especially US players, who end up committing at a very young age (15-16 years old). And all recruited players, except for Ivy league schools, get some form of scholarship (partial, full ride, etc.). Which is why I was sketical.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 5:13 p.m.
Banned
Thanks. You are right.

When I first read it, I interpreted it a different way. So I learned something today.

That being said, most Div 1 hockey teams don't usually have open tryouts (like football teams would). I guarantee you that 99% of the players playing div1 are recruited. Especially US players, who end up committing at a very young age (15-16 years old). And all recruited players, except for Ivy league schools, get some form of scholarship (partial, full ride, etc.). Which is why I was sketical.

Bowling Green had open try outs when I played there. The problem was, you don't find anyone coming off the streets who can play.

The real issue is that teams can only give out so many scholarships 18 so divide by 4 and you get roughly 4 per year. They are usually given to players who are 20+ Which is why college hockey players tend to be older. Then general rule is that under 20s can transfer pretty easily because no one gave them anything.

But in general, unless you are getting a ride, you can move fairly easily.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
cautious optimism
Dual sport personality: Football head coach and left winger. awesome.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit