Forums/Armchair-GM

My Take on 2019-2020 Ducks

Created by: Ducksfan93
Team: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2019
Published: Apr. 5, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I have said this before, but I think Kesler might hang them up, but stay on LTIR. Guy is one tough SOB, but what he has to do to play is just crazy to read about. He is one of my favorite players on the Ducks cause of his toughness and style of play.

I see the same fate for Eaves.

I can see the ducks going full youth movement. Next year especially the way Jones, Steel and Terry have been playing down the stretch.

But I think they need to add a RHD d man to play with Fowler and leave Manson with Lindholm.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$2,000,000
2$890,000
5$6,200,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the STL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the STL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$58,013,757$0$2,732,500$23,986,243
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,463,139$2,463,139
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,541,000$1,541,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$6,200,000$6,200,000
RD
UFA - 5
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
UFA - 8
$2,602,778$2,602,778
LD
UFA - 3
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,166$894,166
LD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,133,333$1,133,333
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 5, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
Would you consider trading Getzlaf?
Apr. 5, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
RETIRED
I really feel like the wheels are going to fall off on this team very soon...
Perry & Gretzlaf will be 34 next year (making 8.6mil and 8.2mil)
Kesler will be 35 (making 6.9mil)
Apr. 5, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: McRanteskog
I really feel like the wheels are going to fall off on this team very soon...
Perry & Gretzlaf will be 34 next year (making 8.6mil and 8.2mil)
Kesler will be 35 (making 6.9mil)

These comments always make me laugh
awatt liked this.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
Jah1722
Those lines aren’t great and if they’re going to fork out over 6M for Myers they might as well find 5M more and just go after EK.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: Jah1722
These comments always make me laugh

Care to elaborate?
Ducks got swept 4-0 last year in the playoffs and this year, didnt even make the playoffs (24th overall through 81 games). Team is in a decline and its obvious
Apr. 5, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
Those lines aren’t great and if they’re going to fork out over 6M for Myers they might as well find 5M more and just go after EK.

That would be so awesome!

Care to elaborate?
Ducks got swept 4-0 last year in the playoffs and this year, didnt even make the playoffs (24th overall through 81 games). Team is in a decline and its obvious

Because we have an unbelievable amount of talent coming through. Anyone who follows the Ducks knows that Randy C was the problem with this team. We’ve been at 0.500% since he was fired and that is with a career GM running the bench and a bunch of kids carrying the team.

We’re going through a transition. Getzlaf has slowed, but is still a legit top 6 C. Perry fell off years ago. Kesler will retire next year. Meanwhile, Terry, Steel and Jones appear to be on the verge of breakout seasons, Gibson is a god and we’re going to be adding another top quality talent at this draft. The team is in very good shape. Assuming we have a summer of hard work from the kids and add a good coach, we’ll be fine next year.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Jah1722
Care to elaborate?

Quoting: mytduxfan

Because we have an unbelievable amount of talent coming through. Anyone who follows the Ducks knows that Randy C was the problem with this team. We’ve been at 0.500% since he was fired and that is with a career GM running the bench and a bunch of kids carrying the team.

We’re going through a transition. Getzlaf has slowed, but is still a legit top 6 C. Perry fell off years ago. Kesler will retire next year. Meanwhile, Terry, Steel and Jones appear to be on the verge of breakout seasons, Gibson is a god and we’re going to be adding another top quality talent at this draft. The team is in very good shape. Assuming we have a summer of hard work from the kids and add a good coach, we’ll be fine next year.

Exactly what mytduxfan said. Everyone calls the ducks “old” and list thise 3 as the reason. Yes their older and make a big chunk of money and didn’t get the cup they were brought to get but the actual core of this team is like 26 or younger. Rakell Silf Lindholm Manson Fowler and Gibson with the kids like terry steel jones Comtois and a Guhle/Larsson/Mahura coming plus Kase who if healthy could be a big part of this team and even the moveable pieces of Ritchie and Shore are still kinda young.

The wheels fell of this year with RC behind the bench but when GMIHCBM took over they were miles better. They may not win a cup in the next couple years but they shouldn’t be a basement team.
Apr. 5, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: mytduxfan

I like some of the younger DUK pieces too and that should be the focus...YOUNGER! Let's say it again YOUNGER (ahhhhh that feels refreshing)...

Don't think EK at 29 yrs old (at puck drop next year) is the answer for the DUKS (or any re-build/transitioning team "long-term").

Case-in-Point - Here's the latest EK math lesson to ponder: 52 / 80 games played this year (+plus) groin injury (kinda IMPT 'piece of meat' in hockey) + achilles hangover during his OTT days (-minus) US$10/12Mil his agent/wife want to sign over 7 yrs (36 yrs @ End of Deal!) = DIS-ASS-TER.

Don't pay muy-dinero for what a guy has done in the past - shell out the big-buck$ for an up an coming STAR..........DUK fan message to Bob Murray should be: "Make HOCKEY trades NOT Fantasy..."
Apr. 8, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Care to elaborate?

I'm a Ducks fan and I'm totally with you. We have a lot of promising, young, offensive talent but as long as Getzlaf and Perry are still on this team, we're going to be stagnant at best. They make up a huge chunk on the salary cap and their play is in total decline (well Perry's more than Getzlaf's but Getz's days as PPG player are over). And the worst part is we really can't do anything about it. They both have full NMC and have been icons on this team for over a decade. I fear we're going to take a couple more years like this one before we dig ourselves out. Unless our next coach is the next Jon Cooper or we miraculously win the first or second pick.
McRanteskog liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
And there's something you have to keep in mind about stashing Kesler and Eaves on LTIR. That only happens when the season starts so we have to be cap-compliant up until that point so signing expensive free agents will be dicey. Not to mention this franchise doesn't do that as well as the fact that we'd have to grossly over-pay because this is a small market team, California taxes are really high, and we're rebuilding.
McRanteskog liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: TheJoeMan
I'm a Ducks fan and I'm totally with you. We have a lot of promising, young, offensive talent but as long as Getzlaf and Perry are still on this team, we're going to be stagnant at best. They make up a huge chunk on the salary cap and their play is in total decline (well Perry's more than Getzlaf's but Getz's days as PPG player are over). And the worst part is we really can't do anything about it. They both have full NMC and have been icons on this team for over a decade. I fear we're going to take a couple more years like this one before we dig ourselves out. Unless our next coach is the next Jon Cooper or we miraculously win the first or second pick.

I appreciate your unbiased opinion dude +1.
TheJoeMan liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.

I really didnt take all the time in the world to look at the lines. And there is no way EK would come here. So that is why went for Myers. And we have to pay a little more to get him to come here...
Apr. 8, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: Ducksfan93
I really didnt take all the time in the world to look at the lines. And there is no way EK would come here. So that is why went for Myers. And we have to pay a little more to get him to come here...

Why wouldn’t EK go to ANA? Already have a Swede influence. Weathers great. Usually a winning franchise.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Why wouldn’t EK go to ANA? Already have a Swede influence. Weathers great. Usually a winning franchise.

Bob Murray wont shell out that type of money. Only way is if Kesler actually retires not the LTIR way. Even getting money back, they have to pay that contract. Same goes for Eaves.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.

For the same reasons big time free agents never come here. It's a small market (in terms of fans at least), the taxes are really high here, and the team simply can't afford it. Throw in the new development of this team being really bad and on a rebuild and you have all the reasons you need why he (or anyone else) won't sign here. The only big time free agent this team has signed in the Samueli's era is Scott Niedermayer and that was largely due to his brother. There's a reason why Murray makes as many trades as he does. That's the only way to get impact players on this team that aren't home-grown.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Jah1722
For the same reasons big time free agents never come here. It's a small market (in terms of fans at least), the taxes are really high here, and the team simply can't afford it. Throw in the new development of this team being really bad and on a rebuild and you have all the reasons you need why he (or anyone else) won't sign here. The only big time free agent this team has signed in the Samueli's era is Scott Niedermayer and that was largely due to his brother. There's a reason why Murray makes as many trades as he does. That's the only way to get impact players on this team that aren't home-grown.

So why didn’t Canadians, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry leave when they hit UFA and we’re guaranteed a massive payday anywhere? Why did Silfverberg stay even tho this team is “so bad”? Why did Mike Trout stay across the freeway whence probly could have gotten $500M from a team back east where he’s from? Every reason you gave is bs. The Samuelis can afford another big name if the cap works too.
Ducksfan93 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
So why didn’t Canadians, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry leave when they hit UFA and we’re guaranteed a massive payday anywhere? Why did Silfverberg stay even tho this team is “so bad”? Why did Mike Trout stay across the freeway whence probly could have gotten $500M from a team back east where he’s from? Every reason you gave is bs. The Samuelis can afford another big name if the cap works too.

Getzlaf, Perry and Silfverberg all have one thing in common in terms of the contracts you mentioned: they all re-signed. They were drafted or were traded here and grew to love this community and team. Why haven't other free agents signed here then? And sorry but didn't this team just finish with the 8th worst record and having scored the fewest goals out of every team? I love this team dearly but I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Haven't you ever wondered why this team NEVER signs top free agents? I mean, part of it is economics. I've been arguing with Ducks fans for years about how "the Samueli's can afford it" even though it's no secret this franchise doesn't make them any money. Every dollar over the budget comes out of their pockets. But aside from that, star free agents have to WANT to come here. Yes, a lot of guys who play here learn this is an amazing place to live and the franchise is top notch but that's only after they've played here. This team is clearly near the bottom of player's lists when they have the whole league to choose from. I wish that weren't the case but facts are facts. Everyone just assumes Murray sits on his thumps every July 1st but I'm sure if he believed he could actually sign players like Karlsson he would. He's as aggressive a GM as any in the league when it comes to trades so why wouldn't he be in free agency?

I would love Erik Karlsson to be a Duck but it's just never going to happen.

Oh and bringing up the Angels helps my point. The Angels had the sixth-best attendance in the league last year and are the 8th ranked MLB team on Forbes' valuation list. They had 25 million dollars of operating income last year. The Ducks on the other hand were one of six teams last season that lost money (again according to Forbes) and are in the bottom-third in attendance. The Angels make money so they can afford to sign big-time free agents. The Ducks do not so they can not.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 5:22 p.m.
Jah1722
Getzlaf, Perry and Silfverberg all have one thing in common in terms of the contracts you mentioned: they all re-signed. They were drafted or were traded here and grew to love this community and team. Why haven't other free agents signed here then? And sorry but didn't this team just finish with the 8th worst record and having scored the fewest goals out of every team? I love this team dearly but I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Haven't you ever wondered why this team NEVER signs top free agents? I mean, part of it is economics. I've been arguing with Ducks fans for years about how "the Samueli's can afford it" even though it's no secret this franchise doesn't make them any money. Every dollar over the budget comes out of their pockets. But aside from that, star free agents have to WANT to come here. Yes, a lot of guys who play here learn this is an amazing place to live and the franchise is top notch but that's only after they've played here. This team is clearly near the bottom of player's lists when they have the whole league to choose from. I wish that weren't the case but facts are facts. Everyone just assumes Murray sits on his thumps every July 1st but I'm sure if he believed he could actually sign players like Karlsson he would. He's as aggressive a GM as any in the league when it comes to trades so why wouldn't he be in free agency?

I would love Erik Karlsson to be a Duck but it's just never going to happen.

Oh and bringing up the Angels helps my point. The Angels had the sixth-best attendance in the league last year and are the 8th ranked MLB team on Forbes' valuation list. They had 25 million dollars of operating income last year. The Ducks on the other hand were one of six teams last season that lost money (again according to Forbes) and are in the bottom-third in attendance. The Angels make money so they can afford to sign big-time free agents. The Ducks do not so they can not.

When the ducks wanted a star they kept their own and signed Niedermayer. When else have the ducks wanted to add a star UFA?
Apr. 8, 2019 at 5:36 p.m.
When the ducks wanted a star they kept their own and signed Niedermayer. When else have the ducks wanted to add a star UFA?

So the Ducks haven't wanted a star player for 14 years? And why are they going to start now? You're basically agreeing with me now.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Jah1722
So the Ducks haven't wanted a star player for 14 years? And why are they going to start now? You're basically agreeing with me now.

When was the last time a top 5 player at his position was available? Niedermayer? I honestly don’t know.

I also never said they’ve never wanted a star, just that they havent gone after one. When have the ducks been rumored to be in on the big fish UFA? Have to have cap room and 11-12 (11-12 was the furthest season back on sportrac) season was the only season I found with more than $6M cap space available and there weren’t any UFA stars available.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
When was the last time a top 5 player at his position was available? Niedermayer? I honestly don’t know.

I also never said they’ve never wanted a star, just that they havent gone after one. When have the ducks been rumored to be in on the big fish UFA? Have to have cap room and 11-12 (11-12 was the furthest season back on sportrac) season was the only season I found with more than $6M cap space available and there weren’t any UFA stars available.

Exactly. You keep giving good reasons why the Ducks never sign top UFAs. All of these apply to Karlsson this summer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll