Forums/Armchair-GM

Penguins players season rankings

Created by: mhockey91
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 7, 2019
Published: Apr. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Crosby- A+ : Not only did he score 100 points, he fine tuned his game to become one of the best two way players in the league. Sid is probably the Selke favourite this year. most complete season of his career.

Malkin- B- : he had a slump season, injuries affected him. With that being said, an "off year" of over a PPG is still impressive. he's still an elite talent.

Kessel- B :not as good as last season and there was times he looked disengaged, but 82 points is still a very impressive accomplishment. people are too hard on Kessel. hes still a great player. id still move him in the offseason though while his value is high.

guznetal- A+ :40 goals, 76 points, one of the best even strength players this season. enough said, kid is a stud and is CRUCIAL to Pittsburgh moving forward.

Hornqvist: C :wasn't a fan of that extension. certainly a declining season. id like to move him in the offseason. still brings a very valuable physical presence.

McCann: B+ :very impressed with how McCann played for us. I think that was a great trade and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up becoming a 50 point guy.

Rust- B :hes a good top 9 guy. got off to a brutal start (1 goal in first 29 games) but ended up getting it going the second half of the season. Good two way and is not afraid to hit

Bjustaad- B- :a very good 3rd line centre imo. I think hes a bit too rich for Pittsburgh but id be happy with him as 3C for next season. his defensive game is under rated. hes a good 30-40 point player. similar to Bonino.

Simon- B- :solid top 9 guy. don't have very high expectations for him so I think hes good for what he brings. dont see him ever becoming a true top 6 forward.

ZAR- B- :once again hes a top 9 forward. he very physical, dont know what his ceiling is but im not gonna be complaining about ZAR. if he didn't get injured he wouldve got over 30 points.

dont really have much opinion on guys like Blueger, Wilson and Cullen. Wilson is just a grinder. dont see him being an NHL regular. Cullen isn't as good as he was back in 2016 and 2017 but hes a decent 4C. we'll see about Blueger, probably wont be an NHL regular but you never know, hes got some skill.

Letang- A- :Was having a Norris season till he went down. WHEN HEALTHY he's one of the best D in the league. feel bad for the guy, hes been robbed so much due to injuries.

Dumolin: A- :such an underrated defensive D. another great season and a huge part of our D core.

Schultz: C+/B- :he wasn't great and missed majority of the season due to injury but thats cause hes paired with Jack Johnson. he'd look much better paired with dumo or maatta.

Maatta: C. :maatta is a bottom 4 D, he can't carry a pairing and id like to see him paired with letang. in a small sample size hes had alot of success with him in the passed. I think hes traded in the offseason.

Petterson- b+ :he looks like he could be a dumolin junior. late bloomer imo. im a fan of his game. played great with Gubranson.

Gubransson- B+: ill eat my words on this one. Gubransson has been GREAT since coming to pit. him and Petterson make a very good bottom pairing. posted a 54.7% CF and averaged nearly 20 minutes per game. he'll probably regress and turn back into a pylon but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Still overpaid at 4 million though.

Jack Johnson- F- :horrible player, horrible contract, brings everyone he plays with down. I cant defend him

Murray: b+ :terrible start to the season, finished amazing. 2nd best save percentage in the league since coming back from injury. hes going into the playoffs hot and that'll cause havoc for any team we play

Desmith: A. :did not expect him to play as good as he did but he was a very solid backup and was great for us when Murray was injured / struggled. signed a great contract extension.

below are the lines id run in the playoffs (though it wont happen)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$75,011,559$0$132,500$4,488,441
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$794,167$794,167
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 7, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
Max
I like what you said about most players I don't think I would give Johnson a F though he was bad but not that bad. Honestly I think Kessel deserves an A but other than that it's pretty accurate.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 6:41 p.m.
Quoting: Molson22
I like what you said about most players I don't think I would give Johnson a F though he was bad but not that bad. Honestly I think Kessel deserves an A but other than that it's pretty accurate.

dude, he brings everyone around him down. Johnson is a disaster. plus that 5 year contract too... pens should've gave him a 1 year 5 million "show me deal"
kessel was good, like I said, 82 points is a very good season, but not "great". if he got 30+ goals and 90+ points it wouldve been great
Apr. 7, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Johnston should be a C-, an F is really harsh.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 6:59 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeylover360

he was so bad man. he brings down every single player he plays with. Petterson struggled heavily paired with JJ and looks great next to Gubranson... that says something. I feel bad for Schultz. its unfair to him hes playing with an anchor
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: mhockey91
he was so bad man. he brings down every single player he plays with. Petterson struggled heavily paired with JJ and looks great next to Gubranson... that says something. I feel bad for Schultz. its unfair to him hes playing with an anchor

Uh... He did well with Schultz, he didn't amazing but he did better these last couple of months and being healthy also boasts a letter grade especially to players on this team. Also, Peterson hasn't looked great since being with Gudbranson, alright sure, not great, though. With our C sqaud defense, Peterson was the worst ''roster player'' (Not counting guys like Trotman etc.).
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:19 p.m.
Uh... He did well with Schultz, he didn't amazing but he did better these last couple of months and being healthy also boasts a letter grade especially to players on this team. Also, Peterson hasn't looked great since being with Gudbranson, alright sure, not great, though. With our C sqaud defense, Peterson was the worst ''roster player'' (Not counting guys like Trotman etc.).

dude.. petterson since playing with Gubranson has been CF55%. hes been sick. Petterson imo is our 4th best D. hes dumolin JR imo. hes a late bloomer. I could absolutely see him being a top 4 D one day
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
dude.. petterson since playing with Gubranson has been CF55%. hes been sick. Petterson imo is our 4th best D. hes dumolin JR imo. hes a late bloomer. I could absolutely see him being a top 4 D one day

I didn't say he was bad but he was disappointing since January. Also I agree with pretty all of them expect those 2.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:37 p.m.
I agree with everything but Johnson is ok and his money isnt bad but the years are bad
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:39 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: penzillafan
I agree with everything but Johnson is ok and his money isnt bad but the years are bad

Yeah, his player ranking are pretty good with the exception of Johnston. 3.2 million is fine for bottom pair guys but the 5 years aren't.
penzillafan liked this.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 7:54 p.m.
Yeah, his player ranking are pretty good with the exception of Johnston. 3.2 million is fine for bottom pair guys but the 5 years aren't.

I think pens would be much better off running the lines that I suggested and scratching Johnson. All 6 of those D are better
Pens
Pretty good ratings. Especially JJ. He is a toxic dumpster fire on the ice. His ONLY upside is that he can block shots, but so could Ian Cole. They should have kept him and never signed JJ. Jack has made the JJ-Schultz pairing quite terrible. He should be watching games in the press box all playoffs (barring injury), but Sullivan likes to tongue punch his fart box, so he’ll play every game.
mhockey91 liked this.
CHI NYI
Gonna be a great series between you and the Isles. May the best team win
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: Sqm918
Pretty good ratings. Especially JJ. He is a toxic dumpster fire on the ice. His ONLY upside is that he can block shots, but so could Ian Cole. They should have kept him and never signed JJ. Jack has made the JJ-Schultz pairing quite terrible. He should be watching games in the press box all playoffs (barring injury), but Sullivan likes to tongue punch his fart box, so he’ll play every game.

agreed. I liked Ian Cole for pit. idk why he was in Sullivans dog house. he was very good for us. you're right about sully, no way pens scratch JJ unfortunately
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
agreed. I liked Ian Cole for pit. idk why he was in Sullivans dog house. he was very good for us. you're right about sully, no way pens scratch JJ unfortunately

It’s because he said something to the media that Sully didn’t like or something.
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:25 p.m.
I think these rankings are pretty accurate. I’d probably give Schultz a slightly better grade only because he has had his good moments even being paired with JJ. And we all know it’s JJ bringing him down.
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.
GaudsWish
Great job, not sure about JJ an F- is too good, is their anything lower, we should toss him in the ECHL to help him develop, whatever he is doing it ain't working
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.
Quoting: Pensfan89
I think these rankings are pretty accurate. I’d probably give Schultz a slightly better grade only because he has had his good moments even being paired with JJ. And we all know it’s JJ bringing him down.

Yeah that’s very true. I’d love to see him with maatta or Dumo
Apr. 7, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Quoting: gaudetster
Great job, not sure about JJ an F- is too good, is their anything lower, we should toss him in the ECHL to help him develop, whatever he is doing it ain't working

Lmao haha I agree
Apr. 8, 2019 at 5:31 a.m.
Banned

The penguins went down hill last year after trading Cole. I thought that was a really dumb decision then and I stand by it today.
The reason Sully didn't like cole is because he's a penalty machine.
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 6:00 a.m.
Banned
dude, he brings everyone around him down. Johnson is a disaster. plus that 5 year contract too... pens should've gave him a 1 year 5 million "show me deal"
kessel was good, like I said, 82 points is a very good season, but not "great". if he got 30+ goals and 90+ points it wouldve been great

Quoting: penzillafan

Quoting: Pensfan89

Quoting: gaudetster

I think we should be fair about what JJ we are talking about here.
JJ had to play a lot this season on his off side. That's really hard to do. He really doesn't have the ability to pull it off. At one point he was a -20 playing over there and he was bringing everyone around him down doing it. It was a huge mistake on the organizations part for putting him there from the beginning and I don't think we should blame him because of it. They should have all known playing him on the RHD for months with Schultz out wasn't going to work out well. The coaching staff should have adjusted. But it seems they let it be sink or swim with him. Maybe that was Sully's way of saying, if that's the way you want it, that's the way you'll get it in a power move. I don't know. Either way it had to come to an end but I don't think JJ should really be judged by his time on the right side.

On top of it, JJ was brought in as a rehabilitation project in his 30s. Which I think kind of irked fans and the media. You don't rehab 30+ year old players. So I think from the get go things were kind of against him.

Having said that he's only a -4 on the year. Which says a lot about his play on the left side. I'm not saying he's the greatest defense man in the history of the game, but he played well enough on his left side to at least get close to even from spending a large amount of time on the disastrous right side.

'What I do know is his even strength goif is a 54 and goiA is a 63. So you are looking at -9 on the year there. I don't think they are all his fault. I seen a lot of goals where I think he's just bad luck to be on the ice with and he gets dinged as giving up a goal. Like the kessel playing defense goal. Yeah, I would have liked JJ to not pinch there there because well Kessel, but he did and that was his mistake. But my god, if he got any help from kessel there I don't think there is a goal against. He was just rotating and pinching down in the zone to help. At some point you need other players to have your back there. I think there were a few goals I looked at this year and thought, it's not really JJ fault. Not that some weren't, but it's not as bad as I think people make it. He just happens to always be the one on the ice when something stupid happens. Like a bad penny.

I think as long as JJ plays conservatively and doesn't roam he's a really solid player on the Left side, he just has to play his game. My honest feeling is if he played on the left side all year we wouldn't be talking about him like we are now. It wouldn't have been that bad. Hell I even think he would have been in the + in goal difference. But we can't change that now.

Does he deserve an F. For his time on the RHD I'd say definitely. But who's fault is it for putting him over there.
As for his time on the LHD. I'd say he's at least a C grade. Hell he's been no worse than Maatta over there.
penzillafan liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 7:46 a.m.
Most advanced stats are offense based, so it is quite obvious that Johnson will lower those numbers because he is not offensive. That's just to be expected. No one is saying that he did a good job, he just wasn't F level, especially in the second half.

Hornqvist is my biggest disappointment of the year.

Even though Letang is really good when he is good... he has far too many complete brain farts to get an A of any kind. Too many goals against come straight from Letang-isms for an A-.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: biglite351
Most advanced stats are offense based, so it is quite obvious that Johnson will lower those numbers because he is not offensive. That's just to be expected. No one is saying that he did a good job, he just wasn't F level, especially in the second half.

Even though Letang is really good when he is good... he has far too many complete brain farts to get an A of any kind. Too many goals against come straight from Letang-isms for an A-.

Yeah, I'm so disappointed in Horny.
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Yeah, I'm so disappointed in Horny.

I wasn’t a fan of the extension. I hope they can move out his cap hit
Apr. 8, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Quoting: biglite351

Letang this season has been so steady defensively. I agree last season he struggled but he was very good this season before he got injured. Of course he made mistakes, every offensive D does. But he was looking like a prime Norris candidate before injury

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll