SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2019 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Apr. 12, 2019 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So far the teams i've picked to win are 2-5, though Calgary (whom i picked) is up 2-0 after 2.

I highly doubt that anyone is 8-0 so far. CBJ will destroy almost everyone's brackets. Dallas and SJS will hurt many, many more.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 2:45 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Brian2016
I highly doubt that anyone is 8-0 so far. CBJ will destroy almost everyone's brackets. Dallas and SJS will hurt many, many more.

Obviously a lot of those series could change, but you're right. However, I do see Tampa Bay still beating Columbus, so after game 1 almost no one will be 8-0, but after the series that could be different, especially if Tampa Bay and Nashville end up winning their series.
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 2:47 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I still don't trust Mike Smith, despite the shutout. He was on fire tonight though.

He's a question mark. But he's a good goalie who has struggled this season. He could keep it up and he could completely fall off. He's really unpredictable this playoff IMO. The rest of the team is good enough though that I think they win this series either way, especially because they're up 1 game to nothing.
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 8:16 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Having the visitor team and allegedly inferior teams win the first game on the road, just makes all those series more interesting, and we had four them.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 6:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
It will be interesting to see what happens in game 2 TBL-CBJ. About to start. I feel like Tampa Bay is going to tie the series 1-1, but I could be wrong, of course.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 8:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Isles had a 5-on-3 for almost a minute and couldn't score. They weren't able to score on the rest of the 2nd power play, either. Still 0-0 in the 2nd.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 6:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Really? Just one game for Kucherov?
Apr. 14, 2019 at 1:51 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
So, 4 series are 2-0 and 4 series are 1-1 after 2 games.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 9:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
3-0 series lead for CBJ ... not many people were predicting that would happen. But the series isn't over until it's over.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
ISLES ARE GOING TO ROUND 2!!!!
Apr. 19, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The Avalanche have been the better team this series. 3-1 lead over the Flames in the 2nd period. They just need to win this game and they're in round 2. It will be interesting to see if Calgary can come back.
Apr. 19, 2019 at 11:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Anyone have an opinion on the Johnny Gaudreau no-goal? I think it was probably the right call but it was close. Could have gone either way.
Apr. 20, 2019 at 6:09 a.m.
The Avalanche have been the better team this series. 3-1 lead over the Flames in the 2nd period. They just need to win this game and they're in round 2. It will be interesting to see if Calgary can come back.

Crazy how both Tampa and CGY were absolutely steamrolled despite being #1 seeds. We could actually have 7 of the bottom 8 seeds advance to the 2nd round. NYI were seeded higher than PIT, but most people would consider that series an upset, especially in 4 games.
palhal liked this.
Apr. 20, 2019 at 12:20 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Crazy how both Tampa and CGY were absolutely steamrolled despite being #1 seeds. We could actually have 7 of the bottom 8 seeds advance to the 2nd round. NYI were seeded higher than PIT, but most people would consider that series an upset, especially in 4 games.

It depends what "upset" means. There has been some disagreement about that. Some people think an upset is if the lower seeded team wins the series, and some think it's the team who was picked to win by less people wins. However, some people think not every series is a potential upset series. For example, whether it's Winnipeg or St. Louis who wins that series, maybe neither is an upset, because even though the Jets were probably the favourite going into the series, it was very close. IMO an upset is when the clear favourite who was getting way more picks to win the series than the other ends up losing the series. I wouldn't call the Islanders-Penguins series an upset, just because as much as Pittsburgh was the favourite, it was somewhat close. Columbus and Colorado were upsets in my opinion, because WAY more people were picking Tampa Bay and Calgary to win those series. I also usually don't think about number of games when talking about how big an upset it was. Sure, maybe it's more surprising, but if I'm looking for the biggest upset, I'm not thinking as much about the number of games. I'm trying to think of the biggest surprise series winner. So, for example, Montreal beating Washington in 2010 was a bigger upset in my opinion than Nashville sweeping Chicago in 2017, even though it took Montreal 7 games. Because even though Nashville and Chicago was an upset (because way more people were picking Chicago to win the series) and not a very high percentage of people were picking Nashville to win the series, there were more people picking them to beat Chicago than there were picking Montreal to beat Washington.
Apr. 20, 2019 at 10:08 p.m.
It depends what "upset" means. There has been some disagreement about that. Some people think an upset is if the lower seeded team wins the series, and some think it's the team who was picked to win by less people wins. However, some people think not every series is a potential upset series. For example, whether it's Winnipeg or St. Louis who wins that series, maybe neither is an upset, because even though the Jets were probably the favourite going into the series, it was very close. IMO an upset is when the clear favourite who was getting way more picks to win the series than the other ends up losing the series. I wouldn't call the Islanders-Penguins series an upset, just because as much as Pittsburgh was the favourite, it was somewhat close. Columbus and Colorado were upsets in my opinion, because WAY more people were picking Tampa Bay and Calgary to win those series. I also usually don't think about number of games when talking about how big an upset it was. Sure, maybe it's more surprising, but if I'm looking for the biggest upset, I'm not thinking as much about the number of games. I'm trying to think of the biggest surprise series winner. So, for example, Montreal beating Washington in 2010 was a bigger upset in my opinion than Nashville sweeping Chicago in 2017, even though it took Montreal 7 games. Because even though Nashville and Chicago was an upset (because way more people were picking Chicago to win the series) and not a very high percentage of people were picking Nashville to win the series, there were more people picking them to beat Chicago than there were picking Montreal to beat Washington.

I would def. not consider STL an upset winner over WPG. However, NYI sweeping PIT is an upset b/c of PIT's playoff experience and star power. A crazy upset, actually.
Apr. 20, 2019 at 10:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I would def. not consider STL an upset winner over WPG. However, NYI sweeping PIT is an upset b/c of PIT's playoff experience and star power. A crazy upset, actually.

But I think it's more about how many people were picking one team to win. A decent amount of people were saying, "The Penguins have a lot of experience, but the Islanders will beat them anyway." Yes, Pittsburgh was the more commonly picked team to win, but the picks were probably more like 65/35 than Calgary-Colorado which was maybe 85/15 for Calgary winning, if not more.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 12:53 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Who watched the STL-WPG game? I watched it and for the first few periods, the Jets were not even close to good enough. It was NOT a good game for the Jets. They got two goals later in the 3rd but it was too late. They wasted their timeout early in the game on a dumb challenge (which was obviously a goal, not even close), and then when they needed it they didn't have their timeout to challenge the later STL goal which shouldn't have counted because of goaltender interference.

For the Blues, what a story. Last place in the NHL in JANUARY, and they somehow make the playoffs and win a round. Unbelievable. Definitely a great story. Jordan Binnington is a huge part of that. Craig Berube has been a very good coach, too. A lot of their struggling players got going, and now they'll play either Nashville or Dallas in the 2nd round. If it's Dallas, that's a rematch of the 2016 2nd round, and if it's Nashville, that's a rematch of the 2017 2nd round. But either way, home ice advantage will go to the team who didn't have home ice advantage last time.
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think it's interesting that 4 first round series are done but no 2nd round matchups are confirmed yet. We'll either see BOS/CBJ or TOR/CBJ, we'll see WSH/NYI or NYI/CAR, and we'll see NSH/STL or STL/DAL as well as SJS/COL or VGK/COL.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 1:00 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Dallas is up 3-2 going back home with a chance to win the series. Obviously not over yet but if Dallas wins that's 3 pretty big upsets in round 1. But the series isn't over yet.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 6:03 a.m.
Who watched the STL-WPG game? I watched it and for the first few periods, the Jets were not even close to good enough. It was NOT a good game for the Jets. They got two goals later in the 3rd but it was too late. They wasted their timeout early in the game on a dumb challenge (which was obviously a goal, not even close), and then when they needed it they didn't have their timeout to challenge the later STL goal which shouldn't have counted because of goaltender interference.

For the Blues, what a story. Last place in the NHL in JANUARY, and they somehow make the playoffs and win a round. Unbelievable. Definitely a great story. Jordan Binnington is a huge part of that. Craig Berube has been a very good coach, too. A lot of their struggling players got going, and now they'll play either Nashville or Dallas in the 2nd round. If it's Dallas, that's a rematch of the 2016 2nd round, and if it's Nashville, that's a rematch of the 2017 2nd round. But either way, home ice advantage will go to the team who didn't have home ice advantage last time.

That 2nd period was probably the most dominant period any team played so far this playoff season. It def. could've been a 5-0 lead after two periods if not for the great goaltending of Hellebuyck. It was a terrific series and the better team won, but had WPG managed their game a little bit better it may have been a different story. I think STL and VGK are the Cup favorites at this point.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 1:25 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
That 2nd period was probably the most dominant period any team played so far this playoff season. It def. could've been a 5-0 lead after two periods if not for the great goaltending of Hellebuyck. It was a terrific series and the better team won, but had WPG managed their game a little bit better it may have been a different story. I think STL and VGK are the Cup favorites at this point.

What about Washington? They're probably one of the cup favourites, especially because they're up in the series. Boston and Toronto, and also Nashville. I know Boston and Nashville are down but either could come back, obviously.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Exciting game going on in Vegas
Apr. 21, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Boston vs. Toronto, game 7, in Boston. We've never seen this before. neutral
Apr. 21, 2019 at 10:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Vegas and SJS going to double overtime.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
A bit of a strange goal by Hertl to end that game. That series is going to game 7.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll