Forums/Armchair-GM

Podkolzin or Cozens

Created by: newman23
Team: 2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 10, 2019
Published: Apr. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think these are really the only 2 options the hawks should be looking for at 3OA.

The gap between Pod and Kakko is a lot smaller than people think. Maybe even smaller than between Kakko and Hughes. Podkolzin is the most complete player after the top 2 and has a serious 200ft motor, a beast on the puck and elite vision hands and shot. Plays excellent without the puck too, a huge sticking point for young players. Would look great on a line with cat and strome bringing that extra level of grit and helping run the o zone cycle. The question is just when is he NHL ready and can we pull him over to NA before his SKA contract ends. If hes ready by oct 2020 and you can get some confirmation he will come over here I think hes the best player available at pick 3. I see him as a Hossa type player who dominates all 3 zones simply by wanting it more and makes everyone around him better.

On the other hand Cozens would be a good choice too. He has top end speed, elite shot and is excellent in the dirty areas. His combination of quick hands and huge frame makes him a monster on the half wall and down low. Finally a big body shoot first center for kane to play with who could take over for Toews as 1C (and maybe captain with his leadership skills) one day. Hes the safer pick than Pod due to the Russian factor but doesnt have that same 5th gear compete level that Pod does where he can just turn it on a split the D for highlight reel goals. I see him as a Ryan Kesler type who can score in bunches and is an aboslute pain to play against in front of the net or in the corners, something the hawks severely lack.

Drafting Byram would be a huge mistake. He has elite 4 way skating and passing but thats really it. Average hockey IQ and likely wont be NHL ready before Boqvist or Beaudin. We have 4-5 eilte D prospects coming up within the next 2 years and no elite forward depth after cat and strome. Hawks need to draft to their organizational needs.

Dach is interesting but I see him as a strome type player, big, killer dangles, pass first, great vision but slow and lacks explosion and maybe some consistency. I think he'd be redundant on the hawks so if were gonna go for a center I'd rather get a fast shooter in Cozens.

Turcotte is my dark horse pick at 3. I havent watched enough of him yet but from what I've seen he might be the best pure skating center in the draft with excellent edges. Hes smaller than Dach and Cozens but plays a very complete 200 ft game. Can pass score and defend with great ice awareness. Would rather the hawks look at Pod or Cozens but I wouldnt be totally unhappy with Turcotte.

What are you thoughts?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$63,239,294$1,232,500$6,065,000$16,260,706
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,775,000$2,775,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$872,500$872,500
LD
UFA - 1
$865,000$865,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,833$750,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 10, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Best player available is Podkolzin... even if he doesn’t live up to his hype I’m okay with drafting the BPA.
newman23 liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
Darren Draeger said he has no doubt that Podkolzin will be playing in the NHL next year so if that is true then that is who the hawks should and will take. Unless they can find a way to move the pick for a good, young, established defenceman.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 4:25 p.m.
#LeafsFever
I've read a lot about Hawks taking Dach because of his power-forward mentality and good ****, but I think Hawks should take Cozens. He is a better skater than Dach, has better hands, in my opinion. Cozens might not have an elite shot yet, but I think his vision is there, edge work is great as well. Either guys will be a project to some degree and I think both will be NHLers, but I think the first WHLer to be drafted and 3rd overall pick should be and hopefully will be Dylan Cozens.
Hockeyplayer1 liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Chewbacca88
What's the deal with Medicine Hat owning Podkolzin's North America rights? Can that be waived to come to the NHL?
Apr. 10, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Armchair scout here. From what I've seen, Cozens has a lower ceiling but higher floor, while Podkolzin has a pretty high ceiling but could bust if he can't get his decision making figured out. Basically Cozens is a pretty safe bet as a 2C at the NHL level IMO while Podkolzin could be a superstar, but could also fail to be an impact player in the NHL. Can't really go wrong with either IMO.

Honestly, Turcotte at 3 would be a solid pick. I think he's arguably the 2nd best center in the draft.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
Quoting: CrazyK04
What's the deal with Medicine Hat owning Podkolzin's North America rights? Can that be waived to come to the NHL?

Med hat owns his CHL rights which means nothing to the NHL tbh. The problem is that Podkolzin is signed in the KHL and the NHL honers those contracts so players can’t be signed in both leagues unless they have an opt out clause in their contracts and most players don’t.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123
Darren Draeger said he has no doubt that Podkolzin will be playing in the NHL next year so if that is true then that is who the hawks should and will take. Unless they can find a way to move the pick for a good, young, established defenceman.
. Interesting, bc I M pretty sure it’s confirmed to be under Khl contract next season, maybe he has An Nhl out clause.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 7:04 p.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123

Huge if true. The issue is that its two pronged. Is he good enough to come to the NHL next season AND is there an out clause in his KHL contract. I havent read a definitive report either way yet. But agree if Pods is coming to the show next year hes a slam dunk pick at 3
Apr. 10, 2019 at 7:10 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
I've read a lot about Hawks taking Dach because of his power-forward mentality and good ****, but I think Hawks should take Cozens. He is a better skater than Dach, has better hands, in my opinion. Cozens might not have an elite shot yet, but I think his vision is there, edge work is great as well. Either guys will be a project to some degree and I think both will be NHLers, but I think the first WHLer to be drafted and 3rd overall pick should be and hopefully will be Dylan Cozens.

I agree with this. Outside of Kane and Toews we lack elite skaters on the offensive side. Would love a guy who can really wheel AND control the puck. Closest thing we have to that now is Saad. Not a knock on him hes great but doesnt quite have that explosive north/south speed he did at 23 or 24. Cozens would really help push the hawks offensive pace
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:57 a.m.
exo2769

Cozen's shot is far better than Dach right now. Dach is more a powerful net front presence/assist guy. Cozens can score and even play a little wing if needed.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: newman23
I agree with this. Outside of Kane and Toews we lack elite skaters on the offensive side. Would love a guy who can really wheel AND control the puck. Closest thing we have to that now is Saad. Not a knock on him hes great but doesnt quite have that explosive north/south speed he did at 23 or 24. Cozens would really help push the hawks offensive pace

Debrincat isn't overly fast, but he's a really smart skater too. I'm hopeful it's Cozens...unless Pod's has a 100% sure chance of getting to North America next year. Not even a 99% chance...100%
Hockeyplayer1 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 9:31 a.m.
Pod if he can come over next year or even the year after. He is the 3rd best player from everything I’ve heard.
Cozen if Pod can’t. That’s my take. He has everything the hawks are looking for. Big, fast, hard nosed, hard working, 200 foot game. That’s what the hawks need in their lineup right now.
The hawks are in a position with Toews Kane and the other old dogs that they don’t need a gamble. They need a solid top-6 guy that is almost a lock.

Pod supposedly has 2 years left on his KHL deal so if there is no NHL opt out clause in his contract he doesn’t suit up in the NHL until 2021-22.
newman23 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Debrincat isn't overly fast, but he's a really smart skater too. I'm hopeful it's Cozens...unless Pod's has a 100% sure chance of getting to North America next year. Not even a 99% chance...100%

Thing is, I dont think Cozens will make the team out of camp next year. So if Pod can come over in 2020 (again, not sure what his khl contract permits) I'd rather take him than Cozens if they both make it to the show the same year.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: TanSor
Armchair scout here. From what I've seen, Cozens has a lower ceiling but higher floor, while Podkolzin has a pretty high ceiling but could bust if he can't get his decision making figured out. Basically Cozens is a pretty safe bet as a 2C at the NHL level IMO while Podkolzin could be a superstar, but could also fail to be an impact player in the NHL. Can't really go wrong with either IMO.

Honestly, Turcotte at 3 would be a solid pick. I think he's arguably the 2nd best center in the draft.

Armchair scout here :P Love it. The problem with elite Russian players is that there is always the option of going back to the motherland and playing in the KHL. Though it doesn't usually happen with players expected to make the jump immediately into the NHL, there is always the chance they play for a few years in North America and then go back to the KHL. While I don't think this impacts his draft status, since there will be a GM in the top-5 that takes a chance on Podkolzin, there are a number of great American and Canadian options 3 through 10, assuming of course that 1 and 2 are Hughes and Kaapo.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 5:46 p.m.
Armchair scout here :P Love it. The problem with elite Russian players is that there is always the option of going back to the motherland and playing in the KHL. Though it doesn't usually happen with players expected to make the jump immediately into the NHL, there is always the chance they play for a few years in North America and then go back to the KHL. While I don't think this impacts his draft status, since there will be a GM in the top-5 that takes a chance on Podkolzin, there are a number of great American and Canadian options 3 through 10, assuming of course that 1 and 2 are Hughes and Kaapo.

Absolutely. I believe that Podkolzin is also under KHL contract for another couple years (I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere), but there's certainly that "Russian factor" to the equation. That said, Chicago has had some success getting a Russian player to play for them before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they took a chance. You never know, though.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Absolutely. I believe that Podkolzin is also under KHL contract for another couple years (I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere), but there's certainly that "Russian factor" to the equation. That said, Chicago has had some success getting a Russian player to play for them before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they took a chance. You never know, though.

I'm hoping it might help that the hawks have good outreach in Europe and a strong reputation for helping Europeans acclimate to America and the NHL. Bowman and his team have pulled a LOT of players out of Europe and given them sustained success. Panarin, Kahun, Kempny, Rutta just to name a few...
TanSor liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll