SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Colorado Avalanche

Who SHOULD the Avs draft 4th overall IN DESCRIPTION

Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
GloryDaysAreBack
No trades or signings here, just a question.
I keep hearing Byram, or Dach, or of Pod falls to 4th take him (but would that just end up being Puljujarvi 2.0?) I am thinking Cozens, it seems like he could be that Ryan O'Reilly type player I wish we never traded. (Thanks a lot Calgary)
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Tspky
If Podkolzin is there you should probably take him..

But Byram is damn enticing.. your top pair would eventually be Byram-Makar which would be hard to match
OldNYIfan and TanSor liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
What in tarnation
Considering you already have a solid young LHD (Girard) and RHD (Makar), I'd go after forward. Cozens might be your best option, if Podkolzin is not available.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I think they are going to take Byram, and I think it’s not a bad idea
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Edited Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
I think they are going to take Byram, and I think it’s not a bad idea

If they were to take Byram, I’d split him and Makar. I’d rather have one of them on the ice for 50 minutes than both of them on the ice for 25.

This was meant to be in response to @spanky227
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
exo2769
If Byram is there...you take him. Hes good! The Ave's D will be set for about decade.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
COL will probably take a forward (with a C being the most likely). They already have a deep pool of Dmen (both "vets" and prospects):

Makar
Timmins
Barrie
Johnson
Girard
Zadorov
Meloche

But their forward prospect pool is very thin after Jost, Bowers and Kaut. Kamanev can't stay healthy, and after that there isn't much. If Pol is there, they could take him (and put him with Jost on the 2nd line), but I bet they take Cozens or Dach, and let them swing between C and W.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
I would probably take Dach as he is the 2nd line centre you need and is a right shot.
OldNYIfan, Nhl_oilers and TanSor liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Heiskanen4Vezina
If they were to take Byram, I’d split him and Malay. I’d rather have one of them on the ice for 50 minutes than both of them on the ice for 25.

Build up a elite top 4 and hope you lock them in decent after three years to team with mvp Mackinnon and quality budget pieces, moved in and out as needed. Cozens would be a decent gamble and dach and Turcotte would be some projects, that would be a couple years away. But I don’t see any elite first line talent in any of the projects other than possibly cozens and Byram. Byram would be my pick, but cozens would be tempting,
Apr. 11, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Smokingun71
I would probably take Dach as he is the 2nd line centre you need and is a right shot.

At best 50 point second line Center at worst step too slow and turn into a big body grinder 3rd line Center, kings probably take him 5th to replace carter
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
Byram or Dach are the safe bets. I wouldnt mind either of them

Avs are comfortable with Russians and would do their serious homework on Podkolzin if he doesnt fall from his 3rd ranked spot...if any team we take him comfortable it would be the Avs with their recent Russian scouting efforts.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: coga16
Byram or Dach are the safe bets. I wouldnt mind either of them

Avs are comfortable with Russians and would do their serious homework on Podkolzin if he doesnt fall from his 3rd ranked spot...if any team we take him comfortable it would be the Avs with their recent Russian scouting efforts.

Im of the opinion Cozens > Turcotte > Dach Coga.
No mystery that the Avs biggest need is a quality 2way C (preferably with size and speed)
OldNYIfan, rmaccallum and TanSor liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
I think they have a future top 4 of Girard, Makar, Timmins, and Z, which is pretty solid (not even counting Johnson who'll be around for the next few years and Barrie who we don't know about). They have solid forward prospects but don't have an elite one, which is what they can get at 4. I'm the furthest thing from a draft expert but I like what I've read about Cozens and Podkolzin, the problem with Podkolzin is it sounds like he's not coming over for at least a year maybe two which is fine in the long term but being patient is getting a little irritating. The nice thing is you don't need a first line guy, either guy could anchor the second line for the years to come. Personally Cozens seems like a nice complement to MacKinnon with his size, speed, and two-way ability. Plus it sounds like he could be in the NHL by the end of next year, which is exciting.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
I've been saying for months that Cozens reminds me of Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think it would be hard to fault either Cozens or Byram (assuming Podkolzin isn't in the mix). All of your responders have put forward the case for each. Both appear to be genuine blue-chippers. In my personal opinion, it seems to me that your team's weakness this year was second-line talent, not defense, so I would go with Cozens, in which case I think the Kings will take Turcotte.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Quoting: Smokingun71

Noo the oilers need him!! LOL
Smokingun71 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think it would be hard to fault either Cozens or Byram (assuming Podkolzin isn't in the mix). All of your responders have put forward the case for each. Both appear to be genuine blue-chippers. In my personal opinion, it seems to me that your team's weakness this year was second-line talent, not defense, so I would go with Cozens, in which case I think the Kings will take Turcotte.

Exactly, Byram would stack the defense but it sounds like he's being rated a little higher than he should because he's the only defenseman worthy of a top 10 pick, increasing his value for team's that need defensemen. Anyone could use a blue chip defensive prospect, but that's not high on the Avs needs this year. This is (hopefully) the Avs best chance to find a 2C for the next few years or at least a legitimate top 6 wing to augment the top line.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Post in the appropriate forum.
May 5, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
This team needs a bigger C who can win a f***ing faceoff and can give some 2nd line scoring. The best guy for that is Cozens. If not, take Bynam
May 14, 2019 at 11:08 p.m.
Edited May 14, 2019 at 11:32 p.m.
Turcotte if he is available would be a great pick for Colorado. Gives them a 2 Way C to play behind MacK for years.

@Icegirl DM Turner on Twitter for my email
Turner33 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll