SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

LETS PLAY A GAME Whats that Pick Worth

Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:08 p.m.
So, everyone in the NHL and their Dog knows that Canucks would like to get Jack Hughes, or at least move up in the draft inside the top 5 to get their guy.

But what would it actually take to make those deals?

So the rules of the game are simple:
1. YOU decide the ask from Canucks to take your team's respective pick 1-5.
2. Trade would be assumed to include the 10th overall pick held by Vancouver
3. The following 4 players are not on the table: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and Huges.
4. Any and all other players, picks and prospects are on the table, BUT subsequent 1st rounders would be lottery protected and differed to the following year. Ottawa's mistake has taught every bubble-playoff GM in the NHL a lesson to not trade their 1st without lottery protection.

On a separate line, we would also be willing to accept your Cap-Hit-Trash if it included a 1st round pick sweetener *cough*Edmonton*cough* in a separate standalone deal without than Canucks' 10th going back, in order to spin up into a better package to move up.

Let the games begin!
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:13 p.m.
Hockey Guru
Petterson and 2019 10th overall from Van
for
NJD 2019 1st overall.

Hefty price but I think that’s what it’d take
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
Watty1
Virtanen, Juolevi/Demko & 10th for Colorado's 4th or something starting with that. I really don't think any of the other teams will deal.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
What in tarnation
So Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes are not available?

If we were to consider realistic trades, you pretty much just made this challenge impossible to complete. Congrats.
Ajp_18 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
Quoting: Wingert41326
Petterson and 2019 10th overall from Van
for
NJD 2019 1st overall.

Hefty price but I think that’s what it’d take

didn't read the rules, huh? squinty smile

Quoting: Watty1
Virtanen, Juolevi/Demko & 10th for Colorado's 4th or something starting with that. I really don't think any of the other teams will deal.

That's definitely reasonable.
Edit: I think they would probably want a younger roster D-man (Hutton) in your trade scenario over Demko/Juolevi or something like maybe Markstrom and the 10th if Varlamov and Grubauer get ventilated in the playoffs

Quoting: BurgerBoss
So Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes are not available?

If we were to consider realistic trades, you pretty much just made this challenge impossible to complete. Congrats.

It's not, it might be REALLY difficult for picks 1,2 and maybe 3, but obviously 4&5 are in play from the post above yours.

I don't expect there to BE an "answer" for 1-3, but a creative person would use that standalone deal as a way of working in a better offer.
Burke had to make a number of trades to get the Sedin's at 1&2, think outside the box. Geez.unsure
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Rangers wouldn't move, but something in the ballpark of your 2019 1st, 2020 1st no lottery protection, Olli Juolevi, Jake Virtanen, you're taking Smith or Staal unless we get another pick back our way. You don't move a top pick to get a star without overpaying (even then I'm not a fan of quantity over quality as Ranger fan, been dealing with that for far too long). Admire the effort though.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SDR
It's not, it might be REALLY difficult for picks 1,2 and maybe 3, but obviously 4&5 are in play from the post above yours.

I don't expect there to BE an "answer" for 1-3, but a creative person would use that standalone deal as a way of working in a better offer.
Burke had to make a number of trades to get the Sedin's at 1&2, think outside the box. Geez.unsure

I'm not sure exactly what kind of trades he made then, I was like a 1-year old then, but I'm going to make a strong guess that he might've used some of the key assets of the team to do it.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
To VAN- 2019 1st(NJD) and Green
To NJD - 2019 1st(VAN), 2019 2nd(VAN), 2020 1st(VAN), DiPietro or Demko, Joulevi or Woo, and probably something small
Mitch_in_Vic liked this.
Apr. 11, 2019 at 9:20 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Ajp_18
To NJD - 2019 1st(VAN), 2019 2nd(VAN), 2020 1st(VAN), DiPietro or Demko, Joulevi or Woo, and probably something small

I think you pretty much nailed it there, and along with no protection on 2020 1st and a resign hall decision, which would possibly send nj into a full rebuild or a retool
Apr. 11, 2019 at 9:27 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I'm not sure exactly what kind of trades he made then, I was like a 1-year old then, but I'm going to make a strong guess that he might've used some of the key assets of the team to do it.

That was a different era, where the value of a elc rookie contribution wasn’t as rated as high as now, all I remember is McCabe was part of a deal, in the prime quality dman, and then there was a few teams that just attempted to buy themselves out of there problems.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 2:54 a.m.
Watty1
Quoting: SDR
didn't read the rules, huh? squinty smile

That's definitely reasonable.
Edit: I think they would probably want a younger roster D-man (Hutton) in your trade scenario over Demko/Juolevi or something like maybe Markstrom and the 10th if Varlamov and Grubauer get ventilated in the playoffs

Would prefer to move Hutton. Heard Colorado was interested in him before.

Apr. 12, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
This might help
http://bfy.tw/NCQj

Quoting: Ajp_18

Interesting deal, I think Benning would bite on that for sure, but not sure if he has the chops to get that. I think it would be Demko and Juolevi, and probably an AHL player

Quoting: Birtle34
I think you pretty much nailed it there, and along with no protection on 2020 1st and a resign hall decision, which would possibly send nj into a full rebuild or a retool

I wonder if that would be the deal-breaker point on a trade, lottery protection on the following pick or not....?

Quoting: Birtle34
That was a different era, where the value of a elc rookie contribution wasn’t as rated as high as now, all I remember is McCabe was part of a deal, in the prime quality dman, and then there were a few teams that just attempted to buy themselves out of there problems.

But that's also because they rookies were still part of the old-guard of junior player development and NEEDED 2-4 YEARS of development in the minors or as 2nd/3rd/4th line players before they made the jump. Short of players like Lindros, very few top picks made instant franchise-altering impacts and often took years to develop into the elite level players they would become. Today, we have 1-2 players in almost every draft that make massive impacts right out of the draft.

McCabe was definitely part of the deal and he was a really good player, but he was at best a 2-3 d-man on any real contentdi team. He wasn't an elite level defenseman by any stretch, so it's not like they mortgaging their backend on the deal.

Quoting: Watty1
Would prefer to move Hutton. Heard Colorado was interested in him before.

The ask before was Virtanen and Hutton of Barrie back at the trade deadline in Hutton's breakout season.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I know this is all just for fun but realistically I doubt any team in the top 5 is going to move their pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll