SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

If Tom Wilson Had Done That

Apr. 13, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
. . . he would have been suspended for 20 games during the regular season, but probably only 10 games during the playoffs. It will be interesting to see (1) what the League disciplinary office does to Kucherov, and (2) whether the NHLPA will appeal a suspension.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 12:12 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
These are not apple to apple comparisons per the NHL's considerations when handing out suspensions.

Past suspension history is taken into account.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Kucherov should get 3 or 4 games (that's a lot in the playoffs), but he'll probably get 2.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 1:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Banks
These are not apple to apple comparisons per the NHL's considerations when handing out suspensions.

Past suspension history is taken into account.

Yes, that's half my point. The other half of my point is that some suspension is eminently warranted, but I'm not sure we're going to see it. I hope my cynicism is unjustified.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 4:41 a.m.
I think the single game for Kucherov was actually totally appropriate. Yes, it was a cheap shot when the game was already out of hand, but it wasn't anything close to Wilson's shoulder to head hits or even Kadri's cross check to Debrusk's face. There wasn't a serious intent to injure, in my opinion, by Kucherov. It was a total cheap shot based on frustration. He was actually about to get called for a minor penalty about 5 seconds before the illegal barding. 2 games would've been too punitive given the circumstances.

Kadri, on the other hand, deserves at least 4-5 games, in my opinion. He has a long rap sheet and it was a direct shot to the face. Clearly there was intent to injure. He's an habitual offender and he's got little self-control. The fact that Debrusk wasn't seriously injured is merely luck. 5 playoff games/10 regular season games seems quite appropriate.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:55 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Brian2016
I think the single game for Kucherov was actually totally appropriate. Yes, it was a cheap shot when the game was already out of hand, but it wasn't anything close to Wilson's shoulder to head hits or even Kadri's cross check to Debrusk's face. There wasn't a serious intent to injure, in my opinion, by Kucherov. It was a total cheap shot based on frustration. He was actually about to get called for a minor penalty about 5 seconds before the illegal barding. 2 games would've been too punitive given the circumstances.

Kadri, on the other hand, deserves at least 4-5 games, in my opinion. He has a long rap sheet and it was a direct shot to the face. Clearly there was intent to injure. He's an habitual offender and he's got little self-control. The fact that Debrusk wasn't seriously injured is merely luck. 5 playoff games/10 regular season games seems quite appropriate.

I don't know how the league can look at Krejci's boarding of Kadri in the first period....no call, or even Debrusk...elbow no penalty and single out Kadri as an attempt to injure. Kinda reminds of last spring when some Bruins (forget his name), ran at Marner head against the boards.....no penalty, and moments latter Kadri runs the guy from behind and gets a match a three game suspension.

It's the Bruins. The league wants a big US market on the east coast to do well. So, the Bruins get a free right to to Eastern Conference Final.

How to does Gauthier and I believe Kapanen get interference penalties when the Bruins were constantly holding Leafs players at near bench or "finishing the checks"

Brian2016, I disagree with your assessment of the Kucherov hit. It wasn't out of frustration, it was an attempt to injure when he went after a players head. The "frustration" excuse is one we have heard from sports analysts for years, which is not factual. It's a deliberate attempt to injure.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

I agree and disagree. I agree that Kadri's hit was an attempt to injure (2 games) and that he's a repeat offender (another 2 games), regardless of the context mentioned by @palhal . But Kucherov's hit, as you point out, was not a careless boarding from behind (which might or might not merit a one-game suspension) but "a cheap shot when the game was out of hand." The League should have sent a two-game message here -- that not even the League's superstars are immune to discipline. Otherwise, the last five minutes of every playoff game when one team is at least two goals behind is going to be "send a message" time, whatever that stupid phrase means.
palhal and Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I agree and disagree. I agree that Kadri's hit was an attempt to injure (2 games) and that he's a repeat offender (another 2 games), regardless of the context mentioned by @palhal . But Kucherov's hit, as you point out, was not a careless boarding from behind (which might or might not merit a one-game suspension) but "a cheap shot when the game was out of hand." The League should have sent a two-game message here -- that not even the League's superstars are immune to discipline. Otherwise, the last five minutes of every playoff game when one team is at least two goals behind is going to be "send a message" time, whatever that stupid phrase means.

Point taken. Does Kucherov have any history of suspensions? I remember the league coming down hard on Doughty last year in the first round. That was very controversial at the time.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:16 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Point taken. Does Kucherov have any history of suspensions? I remember the league coming down hard on Doughty last year in the first round. That was very controversial at the time.

Yeah. And if you think I'm a little miffed about Kadri, you can just imagine how I felt about the Doughty outrage.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll