Forums/Armchair-GM

TOR FLA and CAR would you

Created by: GMBB
Team: 2019-20 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2019
Published: Apr. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
FLA deal is a pure LTIR move here to gain back a retained salary which is to be used in retaining Loui.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,500,000
3$1,300,000
2$1,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
3$3,500,000
7$10,500,000
2$2,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Boldy, Matthew
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Sutter, Brandon ($2,000,000 retained)
VAN
  1. Luongo, Roberto
Additional Details:
This is a pure LTIR move here. And to gain back a retained salary. To be used in retaining Loui.
FLA
  1. Eriksson, Loui ($3,000,000 retained)
  2. Goldobin, Nikolay [RFA Rights]
  3. Spooner, Ryan ($1,500,000 retained)
VAN
  1. 2019 1st round pick (CAR)
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$75,381,879$0$5,150,000$7,618,121
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Boldy, Matthew
$925,000$925,000
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$1,450,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
RFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$4,533,333$4,533,333
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 14, 2019 at 11:48 p.m.
April Fools is over.

That Toronto trade is the worst trade I have ever seen on Capfriendly.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 11:49 p.m.
Banned
Hell no from Toronto.

League denies the Florida deal for cap circumvention.

Carolina declines for lack of need. They don't need any defence and especially not another right handed shooting one.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 11:56 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
Hell no from Toronto.

Carolina declines for lack of need. They don't need any defence and especially not another right handed shooting one.

The hurricanes would be stupid to not accept that. They could flip those players each for a total of two firsts and a second.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:01 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Wqrrior
The hurricanes would be stupid to not accept that. They could flip those players each for a total of two firsts and a second.
l

LOL ... Tanev isn't worth a first. a late second at most. Baertschi isn't worth a first, again, at most a late second. and Gaudette is still a prospect. More likely to be kept if moved rather than flipped. & why would they trade a 1st and a 3rd for 3 players just to flip those players? They wouldn't get anywhere near that kinda return. Tanev and Baertschi can't stay healthy and again, Gaudette is a prospect. It's a terrible offer.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Hell no from Toronto.

Trade certainly doesn’t suit the canes. They may have intrest in baertschi and gaudette though.

Florida trade is completely legal.

Toronto Trade should be illegal.

Kadri for stecher is maybe.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:07 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
Trade certainly doesn’t suit the canes. They may have intrest in baertschi and gaudette though.

Florida trade is completely legal.

Toronto Trade should be illegal.

Kadri for stecher is maybe.

How many times do I gotta tell you that trading for a player just to place them on LTIR is cap circumvention? It's the same way about Zaitsev for Gaborik or MacArthur. I've told you that. & whether you like it or not, it's still illegal. It's acquiring a player that is immediately and well known deemed unfit to play, so they go on LTIR (cap relief) for players that can play but Vancouver is just looking to rid them of the contracts and clear cap space. That's circumventing the cap. I don't know how much clearer it can be.

It's illegal. 100% guaranteed the league denies it.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 8:31 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
How many times do I gotta tell you that trading for a player just to place them on LTIR is cap circumvention? It's the same way about Zaitsev for Gaborik or MacArthur. I've told you that. & whether you like it or not, it's still illegal. It's acquiring a player that is immediately and well known deemed unfit to play, so they go on LTIR (cap relief) for players that can play but Vancouver is just looking to rid them of the contracts and clear cap space. That's circumventing the cap. I don't know how much clearer it can be.

It's illegal. 100% guaranteed the league denies it.

Lol... you know nothing. Teams can trade ltir contracts ever heard of Hossa? Besides luongo played this year so that blows up your whole theory. He may even play next year. Vancouver is forbidden to trade for luongo because you say so? Why don’t you go through CBA and and find the section where it says you are not allowed to trade ltir contracts. Then tell me why every other team is allowed to trade them.

I don’t mean to come off so rude but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. It really bothers me when people like you come on here and spout misinformed ramblings that other people might actually believe.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:24 a.m.
Banned
Edited Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
Lol... you know nothing. Teams can trade ltir contracts ever heard of Hossa? Besides luongo played this year so that blows up your whole theory. He may even play next year. Vancouver is forbidden to trade for luongo because you say so? Why don’t you go through CBA and and find the section where it says you are not allowed to trade ltir contracts. Then tell me why every other team is allowed to trade them.

I don’t mean to come off so rude but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. It really bothers me when people like you come on here and spout misinformed ramblings that other people might actually believe.

Lol. You might wanna look in the mirror to see who the misinformed person is there bud. I never said teams can't trade LTIR contracts. That's not the illegal part. The illegal part is only acquiring said player that will be on LTIR and nothing else. Ie cap circumvention. A team must receive a playable asset in order for a trade to be deemed legal. Even draft picks are deemed legal. So if Vancouver even just received a 7th round pick, then the trade becomes legal. But the user even stated in the trade details that this move "was purely for LTIR reasons", hence cap circumvention. Which is not legal.

As for me being "misinformed".. check your facts on the Hossa trade there bud.
1. Hossa isn't on LTIR, he's been on regular IR since the trade. Therefore he is not giving the receiving team any cap relief. He still counts against the cap of Arizona.
2. Other assets went to Arizona along with Hossa so even though Hossa is deemed unfit to play, Arizona still received playable assets in the trade. Chicago also received players, picks, and prospects, which are deemed fit to play. Making it legal.
3. The main reason the deal was made was because it helped Arizona get to the floor without having to spend big money.

The same facts go for the Dave Bolland contract. The Pavel Datsyuk contract. The old Chirs Pronger contract. The Horton for Clarkson trade was similar but a bit different. No other assets were involved but because Horton's deal wasn't insured (Columbus is stupid) his team is on the hook for paying the entire monetary value of it. With Columbus being a low market team, they couldn't really afford to pay a player to sit at home. Insert Toronto. Who is one of the richest franchises in North American sports, and can afford it. So Columbus got Clarkson (who actually played for them) and Toronto got Horton's contract. Horton has never been placed on LTIR to this day since the trade and is still on regular IR and again, that doesn't provide cap relief. So he's technically still on Toronto's cap, he's just paid to sit at home. There's no cap relief there for anyone, thus making the trade legal.

Everyone knows Luongo is likely calling it a career. He even said so himself and his body can't keep anymore. If he retires there's a huge cap penalty for Vancouver and I believe Florida as well, but if he goes on LTIR he still collects his money and there is no cap penalties.

So please, once again, before you call people misinformed and blab on about stuff that you talk about and think you know but really don't, check your facts. Cause you've now just made yourself look like a fool for saying it's legal when it's not, and using a terrible example that proved you even more wrong.

What really gets me is people like you that are told what you're saying is not correct, you're given the exact reasons why, and choose to still not believe it and continue to put your wrong input into a conversation. The only wrong person between me and you is you bud.

The trade as purposed is Luongo (for LTIR purposes as the user said) for Eriksson (50% retained), Spooner (50% retained) and Goldobin. Which provides Vancouver with approximately $4.5M in salary relief for acquiring nothing that is deemed fit to play. That is illegal. That is cap circumvention. That is denied instantly by the league. As I said, the simplistic way around it is to add something minor going to Vancouver as well, which gives them something that is deemed playable and makes the trade legal.

So you're wrong. There's the facts.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
Banned
Karlsson wants 7 x 12 and Luongo said that he's not waiving his NMC. He's done and Florida will just LTIR him.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Karlsson wants 7 x 12 and Luongo said that he's not waiving his NMC. He's done and Florida will just LTIR him.

He might still consider waiving it if the team agrees that he's not playing for them. It's mainly because he doesn't wanna move. His family is from and lives in Florida so he doesn't want to move and be away from them again
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Lol. You might wanna look in the mirror to see who the misinformed person is there bud. I never said teams can't trade LTIR contracts. That's not the illegal part. The illegal part is only acquiring said player that will be on LTIR and nothing else. Ie cap circumvention. A team must receive a playable asset in order for a trade to be deemed legal. Even draft picks are deemed legal. So if Vancouver even just received a 7th round pick, then the trade becomes legal. But the user even stated in the trade details that this move "was purely for LTIR reasons", hence cap circumvention. Which is not legal.

As for me being "misinformed".. check your facts on the Hossa trade there bud.
1. Hossa isn't on LTIR, he's been on regular IR since the trade. Therefore he is not giving the receiving team any cap relief. He still counts against the cap of Arizona.
2. Other assets went to Arizona along with Hossa so even though Hossa is deemed unfit to play, Arizona still received playable assets in the trade. Chicago also received players, picks, and prospects, which are deemed fit to play. Making it legal.
3. The main reason the deal was made was because it helped Arizona get to the floor without having to spend big money.

The same facts go for the Dave Bolland contract. The Pavel Datsyuk contract. The old Chirs Pronger contract. The Horton for Clarkson trade was similar but a bit different. No other assets were involved but because Horton's deal wasn't insured (Columbus is stupid) his team is on the hook for paying the entire monetary value of it. With Columbus being a low market team, they couldn't really afford to pay a player to sit at home. Insert Toronto. Who is one of the richest franchises in North American sports, and can afford it. So Columbus got Clarkson (who actually played for them) and Toronto got Horton's contract. Horton has never been placed on LTIR to this day since the trade and is still on regular IR and again, that doesn't provide cap relief. So he's technically still on Toronto's cap, he's just paid to sit at home. There's no cap relief there for anyone, thus making the trade legal.

Everyone knows Luongo is likely calling it a career. He even said so himself and his body can't keep anymore. If he retires there's a huge cap penalty for Vancouver and I believe Florida as well, but if he goes on LTIR he still collects his money and there is no cap penalties.

So please, once again, before you call people misinformed and blab on about stuff that you talk about and think you know but really don't, check your facts. Cause you've now just made yourself look like a fool for saying it's legal when it's not, and using a terrible example that proved you even more wrong.

What really gets me is people like you that are told what you're saying is not correct, you're given the exact reasons why, and choose to still not believe it and continue to put your wrong input into a conversation. The only wrong person between me and you is you bud.

The trade as purposed is Luongo (for LTIR purposes as the user said) for Eriksson (50% retained), Spooner (50% retained) and Goldobin. Which provides Vancouver with approximately $4.5M in salary relief for acquiring nothing that is deemed fit to play. That is illegal. That is cap circumvention. That is denied instantly by the league. As I said, the simplistic way around it is to add something minor going to Vancouver as well, which gives them something that is deemed playable and makes the trade legal.

So you're wrong. There's the facts.

I’m sorry, I like a lot of your ideas but there is nothing in the cba about having to trade a healthy player in deal. If there were than a team couldn’t trade a player for a pick.

And Hossa was on ltir when he was traded.... the thing you don’t understand is that players on ltir aren’t always in horton’s Condition. Many of them are just injured. This is why there is no language. The fact that a team is still getting a cap hit for the player and it is only increases the salary relief pool means that it can’t be cap circumvention.

Yes it is completely legal to trade an ltir contract. Much like the clarkson deal you pointed out and dismissed. Unless I missed something in the CBA (which is completely possible.. it’s a thick read).
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
Banned
I’m sorry, I like a lot of your ideas but there is nothing in the cba about having to trade a healthy player in deal. If there were than a team couldn’t trade a player for a pick.

And Hossa was on ltir when he was traded.... the thing you don’t understand is that players on ltir aren’t always in horton’s Condition. Many of them are just injured. This is why there is no language. The fact that a team is still getting a cap hit for the player and it is only increases the salary relief pool means that it can’t be cap circumvention.

Yes it is completely legal to trade an ltir contract. Much like the clarkson deal you pointed out and dismissed. Unless I missed something in the CBA (which is completely possible.. it’s a thick read).

Lol. Yet again you're wrong and you continue to think you're right when you're told you aren't.

That's exactly why deals are always pending physicals. To make sure that the player is healthy enough to be considered a player fit for action. Trading a player for a pick is perfectly legal because a pick is considered a healthy asset, it's not a player that's going directly to LTIR for cap relief purposes. & the league must approve all physicals to ensure that there is no cap circumvention. If they feel the physical isn't passed well enough, the player must either remain on regular IR and their cap hit counts towards their cap, or the deal is declined.

Hossa may have been on Chicago's LTIR, which like I said, it is perfectly legal to trade a player that's on LTIR. I never once said it wasn't. I also said that Chicago sent more assets to Arizona in the deal, and they also received some back. I believe Enthwhistle and Kruger were part of that deal. This actually not relieving Chicago of cap, but actually adding to it. They just didn't want Hossa's long term deal. But again, Chicago received healthy assets in the deal making it legal.

& as you completely passed over in the Clarkson/Horton deal.. there was NO salary relief for either side, thus making the deal legal. Horton's cap hit affected Toronto's cap, Clarkson's affected Columbus' cap. The reason why the league approves the deal even though Horton was deemed unfit to play was because Horton was placed on IR, not LTIR. If Toronto was going to immediately place Horton on LTIR, the NHL would have denied the deal. But for the simple fact that there was no cap relief that season, it was not cap circumvention and was legal.

We may agree on a lot, but I'm sorry you are completely wrong here. I am 100% certain that it is not legal to trade a player that will be on LTIR on his new team immediately with no other healthy assets going with him, for players that are healthy enough to play and our just relieving the team of cap. That is cap circumvention and it is exactly why the league monitors every trade.

You honestly haven't said 1 thing that's correct about this situation. Just admit you're wrong and learn from it. That's the way the league works.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Lol. Yet again you're wrong and you continue to think you're right when you're told you aren't.

That's exactly why deals are always pending physicals. To make sure that the player is healthy enough to be considered a player fit for action. Trading a player for a pick is perfectly legal because a pick is considered a healthy asset, it's not a player that's going directly to LTIR for cap relief purposes. & the league must approve all physicals to ensure that there is no cap circumvention. If they feel the physical isn't passed well enough, the player must either remain on regular IR and their cap hit counts towards their cap, or the deal is declined.

Hossa may have been on Chicago's LTIR, which like I said, it is perfectly legal to trade a player that's on LTIR. I never once said it wasn't. I also said that Chicago sent more assets to Arizona in the deal, and they also received some back. I believe Enthwhistle and Kruger were part of that deal. This actually not relieving Chicago of cap, but actually adding to it. They just didn't want Hossa's long term deal. But again, Chicago received healthy assets in the deal making it legal.

& as you completely passed over in the Clarkson/Horton deal.. there was NO salary relief for either side, thus making the deal legal. Horton's cap hit affected Toronto's cap, Clarkson's affected Columbus' cap. The reason why the league approves the deal even though Horton was deemed unfit to play was because Horton was placed on IR, not LTIR. If Toronto was going to immediately place Horton on LTIR, the NHL would have denied the deal. But for the simple fact that there was no cap relief that season, it was not cap circumvention and was legal.

We may agree on a lot, but I'm sorry you are completely wrong here. I am 100% certain that it is not legal to trade a player that will be on LTIR on his new team immediately with no other healthy assets going with him, for players that are healthy enough to play and our just relieving the team of cap. That is cap circumvention and it is exactly why the league monitors every trade.

You honestly haven't said 1 thing that's correct about this situation. Just admit you're wrong and learn from it. That's the way the league works.

Again... you are wrong... Horton went on ltir.... the physicals are there to make sure that players aren’t passed off as healthy.

Please refer to the section in the cba that dis allows this. Otherwise it is legal. I’m not saying that you won’t find it but I can not.

And if it is illegal it can be fixed with a pick... 7th round should do. Or like in my trade with Ottawa where I receive demelo.

@Banks sorry to bother you yet again... is it legal to trade an ltir contract for a healthy player?
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.

To be honest you're absolutely out to lunch on many things you say here! @Ryminister_27 @jamiepo This trade is done in the offseason meaning The season hasn't started! Luongo can technically still play in a backup roll but is deciding not to because of injuries catching up to him. So by the time the trade goes through it'll be 3 months before Luongo is even a thought to be put on LTIR. How about you figure that one out and get back to me. There is no such thing as being cap complient during the summer and the Canucks do not need to put him on LTIR until October at some point to become cap complient.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Follow capfriendly

@Banks sorry to bother you yet again... is it legal to trade an ltir contract for a healthy player?

Haven't read through the post history but yes LTIR players can be traded, Hossa, Bolland, & Clarkson are all good examples
GMBB and GenXHockey liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: GMBB
To be honest you're absolutely out to lunch on many things you say here! @Ryminister_27 @jamiepo This trade is done in the offseason meaning The season hasn't started! Luongo can technically still play in a backup roll but is deciding not to because of injuries catching up to him. So by the time the trade goes through it'll be 3 months before Luongo is even a thought to be put on LTIR. How about you figure that one out and get back to me. There is no such thing as being cap complient during the summer and the Canucks do not need to put him on LTIR until October at some point to become cap complient.

I thought I had already touched on that point might I may have missed it. Take luongo back in a back up role until he is unable to play anymore. When the time comes he can be put on ltir. I see the same thing happening with any recapture contracts. Much like if keith were ever traded they would want him back before he retires.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
Banned
Again... you are wrong... Horton went on ltir.... the physicals are there to make sure that players aren’t passed off as healthy.

Please refer to the section in the cba that dis allows this. Otherwise it is legal. I’m not saying that you won’t find it but I can not.

And if it is illegal it can be fixed with a pick... 7th round should do. Or like in my trade with Ottawa where I receive demelo.

Quoting: GMBB

Quoting: Banks
Haven't read through the post history but yes LTIR players can be traded, Hossa, Bolland, & Clarkson are all good examples

Re read my posts. I never once said that a player on LTIR can't be traded. Not once. I said they can't be traded as the only asset going to the team just to clear cap room. Which is true.

Again with Horton, look at the Leafs capfriendly page. He is on IR. Not LTIR. There is no cap relief for him. It's right there for you to see.

There is a "cap" in the off-season sorta. Teams are only allowed to go over the cap by 10%. And that includes players on the LTIR. But if a trade is made with the intent that the acquiring team (in this case Vancouver) is only receiving 1 player and that player is going on LTIR for next season, it is an illegal trade.

@Jamiepo I also literally said exactly earlier that something as small as a 7th round pick could be added to going to Vancouver as well and it would make it legal. Read my post.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Re read my posts. I never once said that a player on LTIR can't be traded. Not once. I said they can't be traded as the only asset going to the team just to clear cap room. Which is true.

Being on LTIR or IR makes no difference to whether the league feels a team is circumventing the cap. Every trade is considered by the league to make sure the teams aren't attempting to circumvent, and there is no set rule that I am are aware of as each trade is considered on a case by case basis.

Quote:

Again with Horton, look at the Leafs capfriendly page. He is on IR. Not LTIR. There is no cap relief for him. It's right there for you to see.

There is no cap relief for players on LTIR either. Regardless of whether a player us on IR or LTIR, their cap hit remains against the team.

The only reason he isn't on LTIR is because the team doesn't need to benefit from being able to exceed the upper limit, if they did, he would be placed on LTIR.
GenXHockey liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Apr. 15, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.

There is a "cap" in the off-season sorta. Teams are only allowed to go over the cap by 10%. And that includes players on the LTIR. But if a trade is made with the intent that the acquiring team (in this case Vancouver) is only receiving 1 player and that player is going on LTIR for next season, it is an illegal trade.

@Jamiepo I also literally said exactly earlier that something as small as a 7th round pick could be added to going to Vancouver as well and it would make it legal. Read my post.

Horton went directly on ltir and stayed there for over 3-1/2 seasons after being traded. He was only put on ir this season so he did not affect performance bonus payment.

The Horton trade was a 1 for 1 ltir for a healthy player, exactly what you are trying to say is illegal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll