SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Take fighting out of hockey ... seriously.

Apr. 26, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
With exceptions if someone can come up with a GOOD reason, but I don't think anyone will come up with a good reason.

"There is NO reason for fighting to be in the NHL"

"come up with some stupid reason why it's good."

"You probably have some stupid reason why you think fighting belongs in hockey"

"Remove it from the NHL and all hockey. It's just stupid and that's all it is."

^Just a few things you've said in your thread. Lets call a spade a spade, no matter what anyone says for pro-fighting you will disagree.

BTW over the last 10 years, the NHL has seen a steady decline in the percentage of games with fights.

% of games w/ fights
'08-'09 season - 41.38%
'18-'19 season - 16.74%
Rangsey and mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ON3M4N
"There is NO reason for fighting to be in the NHL"

"come up with some stupid reason why it's good."

"You probably have some stupid reason why you think fighting belongs in hockey"

"Remove it from the NHL and all hockey. It's just stupid and that's all it is."

^Just a few things you've said in your thread. Lets call a spade a spade, no matter what anyone says for pro-fighting you will disagree.

BTW over the last 10 years, the NHL has seen a steady decline in the percentage of games with fights.

% of games w/ fights
'08-'09 season - 41.38%
'18-'19 season - 16.74%

It's still not gone though. And there's a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance i'll change my mind on fighting. That's better than 0.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
It's still not gone though. And there's a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance i'll change my mind on fighting. That's better than 0.

Whatever makes you happy lol.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
Who cares? Players have still gotten concussions from fighting and they do it because usually nobody gets injured. The league needs to just get rid of it because why let players punch each other in the face multiple times? This is hockey we're talking about.

Quoting: ON3M4N
They can get concussions from a check, should we take checking out too?

To the head? Yes, that should be taken out. Or anything involving the head. If you hit someone head-first into the boards there should be a suspension, and a long one (unless it was something like Foegele's hit on Oshie, where it was more of an unlucky play).

Joe Pavelski was hit in the body and fell on his head. Its not like fighting is the only thing causing concussions, players can fall awkwardly and land on their heads. Should we ban all contact to avoid injury? Of course not. There has to be a point where you accept a reasonable amount of risk to make the game fun to play and enjoyable to watch. If players want to keep fighting in the game and two players agree to drop the gloves then who are you to say that they cant? These are grown men and can make their own choices
ON3M4N liked this.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 6:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: moli92
Joe Pavelski was hit in the body and fell on his head. Its not like fighting is the only thing causing concussions, players can fall awkwardly and land on their heads. Should we ban all contact to avoid injury? Of course not. There has to be a point where you accept a reasonable amount of risk to make the game fun to play and enjoyable to watch. If players want to keep fighting in the game and two players agree to drop the gloves then who are you to say that they cant? These are grown men and can make their own choices

First of all, it delays the game anyway. There's no reason to delay the game for a fight. And second, fighting is more likely to give players concussions. But either way, there's no reason for it.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 7:07 p.m.
First of all, it delays the game anyway. There's no reason to delay the game for a fight. And second, fighting is more likely to give players concussions. But either way, there's no reason for it.

Its part of the game. It delays the end of the game but doesnt actually delay the game because its part of the game.
As for no reason. Ive seen games turn on their head after a player on a losing team wins a fight, so the players will tell you there is absolutely reason for it.
Apr. 26, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.

1. How is 'delaying' the game a bad thing? Fighting is entertaining for many fans. Is overtime 'delaying' the game also?

2. Yes fighting may be more likely to result in concussions than hits, but if two players both agree to it then they should be able to fight. Violent hits dont involve the consent of the player being hit, which is why they are deemed 'dirty' and are suspendable. Fighting on the other hand involves two willing fighters, not just an 'attacker' and an 'innocent' player

Why do you keep saying that there's "no reason for it" even though a bunch of people in this thread have already told you the reasons for it?
Apr. 26, 2019 at 8:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
1. How is 'delaying' the game a bad thing? Fighting is entertaining for many fans. Is overtime 'delaying' the game also?

2. Yes fighting may be more likely to result in concussions than hits, but if two players both agree to it then they should be able to fight. Violent hits dont involve the consent of the player being hit, which is why they are deemed 'dirty' and are suspendable. Fighting on the other hand involves two willing fighters, not just an 'attacker' and an 'innocent' player

Why do you keep saying that there's "no reason for it" even though a bunch of people in this thread have already told you the reasons for it?

I don't see what's entertaining about it. And when I say it's delaying the game I mean it's delaying the game even though there's no point in fighting. Overtime makes the game more exciting.

Quoting: Rangsey
Its part of the game. It delays the end of the game but doesnt actually delay the game because its part of the game.
As for no reason. Ive seen games turn on their head after a player on a losing team wins a fight, so the players will tell you there is absolutely reason for it.

But if they remove it, then it would no longer be part of the game. So, would you be saying the same thing about fighting if it was removed? Or would you be saying that it isn't part of the game?
Apr. 26, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
I don't see what's entertaining about it. And when I say it's delaying the game I mean it's delaying the game even though there's no point in fighting. Overtime makes the game more exciting.

1. You may not see whats entertaining about it but many other people do - look at UFC, MMA, etc. There are entire sports based on different types of fighting. You cannot deny that fighting brings in more viewers.

2. Who cares if it makes the game last 1-2 minutes longer if it adds a bunch of excitement to the game? That's a pretty weak argument
Apr. 27, 2019 at 5:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
1. You may not see whats entertaining about it but many other people do - look at UFC, MMA, etc. There are entire sports based on different types of fighting. You cannot deny that fighting brings in more viewers.

2. Who cares if it makes the game last 1-2 minutes longer if it adds a bunch of excitement to the game? That's a pretty weak argument

But this is hockey, not boxing. And what's exciting about hockey fights? You haven't come up with any argument about what makes it exciting.
Apr. 28, 2019 at 10:19 p.m.
But this is hockey, not boxing. And what's exciting about hockey fights? You haven't come up with any argument about what makes it exciting.

You dont have to find it exciting but many other people do. Lots of youtube videos about hockey fights get millions of views and fans go crazy in the arena during fights. You cant sit there and tell me that many hockey fans dont find it entertaining, cause they obviously do.
Apr. 28, 2019 at 10:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
You dont have to find it exciting but many other people do. Lots of youtube videos about hockey fights get millions of views and fans go crazy in the arena during fights. You cant sit there and tell me that many hockey fans dont find it entertaining, cause they obviously do.

I agree that a lot of people do, but I've never understood why. Do you find it entertaining?
Apr. 28, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
GM - Canucks
I agree that a lot of people do, but I've never understood why. Do you find it entertaining?

Fighting is an important element of hockey as it can provide a momentum change, which is highly unique to the game.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 12:58 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: TMLSage
Fighting is an important element of hockey as it can provide a momentum change, which is highly unique to the game.

What's entertaining about it though?
Apr. 29, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
GM - Canucks

What is entertaining about the UFC?
Savard96 liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
What is entertaining about the UFC?

Nothing IMO
Apr. 29, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Nothing IMO

Well my friend.

If you find nothing interesting about one of the world's longest and entertaining sports.

Then you are in the vast minority.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Well my friend.

If you find nothing interesting about one of the world's longest and entertaining sports.

Then you are in the vast minority.

I don't even watch that stuff. The reason I don't is because I think it's boring. But it doesn't matter, because we're talking about hockey, not any other fighting sport.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 1:43 p.m.
GM - Canucks
I don't even watch that stuff. The reason I don't is because I think it's boring. But it doesn't matter, because we're talking about hockey, not any other fighting sport.

Yes, but if you think that fighting is not entertaining.
You are in the minority viewpoint.

Fighting is interesting and exciting for a majority of current NHL players, and hockey fans alike.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 2:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Yes, but if you think that fighting is not entertaining.
You are in the minority viewpoint.

Fighting is interesting and exciting for a majority of current NHL players, and hockey fans alike.

Apr. 29, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
GM - Canucks

My original point has nothing to do with entertaining.
I said it can provide a momentum shift for the players during a game.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 5:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
My original point has nothing to do with entertaining.
I said it can provide a momentum shift for the players during a game.

But why is it needed?
Apr. 29, 2019 at 5:44 p.m.
GM - Canucks
But why is it needed?

It is needed to create a momentum shift for a team.
Which can be vital in leading a comeback or increasing a lead.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
It is needed to create a momentum shift for a team.
Which can be vital in leading a comeback or increasing a lead.

And that can still happen without it.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
GM - Canucks
And that can still happen without it.

It can.
But it provides one whenever a team wants it.

Why are you anti-fighting in the first place?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll