Forums/Armchair-GM

Reluctantly Moving Nylander

Created by: RinksideOps
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 1, 2019
Published: Apr. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Well, since Dubas doesn't know how to negotiate, Marner is probably going to get close to Matthews money. I usually don't like making big moves, but I had no other choice. This is the most tame solution I could come up with:

Nylander Trade:
This trade saves the team almost $3M, and seems pretty fair. Pesce is a great shutdown defensemen who used to be on the top line in CAR until Hamilton came in. Nylander still has the potential to be a top-line winger, but after this season he seems to be destined for a middle-6 role. The additional picks are mostly based on this year's performance, but are ultimately subject to how well Dubas does at convincing Waddell of Nylander's potential.

Brown Trade:
At his peak, I think Brown could've gone for more, but I don't know if any team is going to pay more than a 3rd (maybe 2nd?) for a 4th liner (don't tell that to Brian Boyle). Oilers were already looking at Brown at the trade deadline, and since he has chemistry from playing with McDavid in junior, I think it could be a great, cheap fit for them.

Signings:
Kapanen and Johnsson are definitely underpaid, especially at the rate Dubas is handing out contracts, but they are only 1 year deals just to get past the Marleau contract. I think the guys might bite since they'll have one more year to improve before they sign their (more lucrative) long-term deals.

Tyler Ennis has been great on the 4th line, and he really likes it here. He already took one discount to be with the Leafs' medical staff and is still getting his buyout money, so I don't see why he wouldn't take another cheap deal.

Let me know what you guys think.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$11,000,000
1$3,250,000
1$3,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Pesce, Brett
  2. 2019 6th round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Nylander, William
  2. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$77,272,333$0$0$5,727,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
Banned
If CAR wanted to do this, I believe they would have already before the TDL. I think they value Pesce much more than Nylander and I have to agree.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
BobrovTree
Ah this is why you're not a GM
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think that it's a good possibility that the off-season looks like this. I would be talking about slightly different amounts, but then we'd be discussing speculations. I think other rational Leafs fans are going to agree with you, at least in principle.
RinksideOps liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: BobrovTree
Ah this is why you're not a GM

Can you clarify?
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
If CAR wanted to do this, I believe they would have already before the TDL. I think they value Pesce much more than Nylander and I have to agree.

Dubas said he wanted to give this group a shot, so he didn't want to move anyone out at the deadline. He might be willing to do something after the season. I do agree that Pesce is better right now, but I think Dubas can sell him on his potential. After seeing what happened with the Skinner trade, I think Waddell might be easier to convince than you might expect.
OldNYIfan and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: RinksideOps
Dubas said he wanted to give this group a shot, so he didn't want to move anyone out at the deadline. He might be willing to do something after the season. I do agree that Pesce is better right now, but I think Dubas can sell him on his potential. After seeing what happened with the Skinner trade, I think Waddell might be easier to convince than you might expect.

Dubas also said that as long as he is in TOR he won't move Nylander.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
Glep

Can you clarify?

1) Marner is making more than Matthews to start
2) brown can fetch a middle round second
3) you think Carolina would do that after the year nylander had and the year peace had
4) Even if kapanen or johnsson were to sign one year deals, it would be for less money
5) Lijernen isn’t on the defensive line at all
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think that it's a good possibility that the off-season looks like this. I would be talking about slightly different amounts, but then we'd be discussing speculations. I think other rational Leafs fans are going to agree with you, at least in principle.

Exactly. I just kinda threw out estimates for the contracts and picks traded to show the general premise, since an extra few hundred thousand or moving a 3rd to a 2nd doesn't affect the deals too much. Just out of curiosity, what values were you thinking?
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.

I know, but at some point you are there to do what's best for the team, and the fact that he considered it before might indicate that he might break his promise, but I guess we'll see.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: Hurricanes73
1) Marner is making more than Matthews to start
2) brown can fetch a middle round second
3) you think Carolina would do that after the year nylander had and the year peace had
4) Even if kapanen or johnsson were to sign one year deals, it would be for less money
5) Lijernen isn’t on the defensive line at all

1) I agree that he's the better player, but I think they can leverage the fact that Matthews scores more goals and that Marner is benefiting by playing with Tavares.
2) Yeah I was debating that, but I was hesitant considering his performance this year.
3) Yes. Nylander had a terrible start but got hot down the stretch, so Dubas might be able to sell on that. Also, Waddell doesn't have the best trade history, so I think he might under-value Pesce.
4) I'm not sure about that. Young RFAs have been getting paid a lot recently, and Dubas is right in the middle of that.
5) I think Rosen is ahead of Liljegren in the depth chart, and I think the team would rather have him play top line in the AHL than be a 7th D on the Leafs. If they don't make the Pesce trade then in that case I think he makes it.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Exactly. I just kinda threw out estimates for the contracts and picks traded to show the general premise, since an extra few hundred thousand or moving a 3rd to a 2nd doesn't affect the deals too much. Just out of curiosity, what values were you thinking?

I think the kids make $7M between them somehow, but for two-year deals, and Ennis gets close to a million. And I hold out hope that Marner doesn't go above $10M. I'm probably wrong there.

Don't forget about Gordeev and Joshua.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think the kids make $7M between them somehow, but for two-year deals, and Ennis gets close to a million. And I hold out hope that Marner doesn't go above $10M. I'm probably wrong there.

Don't forget about Gordeev and Joshua.

WE NEED FEDOR GORDEEV
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
I know, but at some point you are there to do what's best for the team, and the fact that he considered it before might indicate that he might break his promise, but I guess we'll see.

I bet Dubas wishes he could walk that comment back. I'm sure when he said it the Leafs had a plan and budget that kept them all together moving forward. And they very well could still have a plan that makes that possible (cough* Marleau retires, Brown for a pick * cough) but with the year that the remaining RFAs had, I think that original plan could be out the window.. Marner, Kap and Johnsson all kinda outdid themselves this year.. which is a good thing!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 5:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't why your post said "Reluctantly moving Nylander". It should be the first priority. After for cap reasons he has to be traded with no NHL cap in return, So no dreaming of Pesce or an NHL calibre Dman in return for Nylander, which after this season is a dream anyway. Why should Johnsson and Kapanen wait to paid, just because the Leafs have overpaid other players. Pay Johnsson and Kapanen a bit more on long term deals.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 5:41 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

I believe the quote was he "didn't intend to move Nylander". So while that still may be the "intent", reality will set in. What else would a GM say at a press conference?
Don't GMs say, "The coach won't be fired", or we intent to resign this player" or we aren't trading this player." Don't know why Dubas is held to different standard than 100 years of NHL GMs, who have their fingers crossed at press conferences.
ricochetii and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 6:10 p.m.
Edited Apr. 17, 2019 at 6:19 p.m.
Its kinda funny how we are building two camps here in TML base curently : pro- and anti-Nylander.

After Matthews contract fiasco, I deeply hope Dubarelli will be able to pull out four bridges for those remaining RFAs.

Marner 2 X 7,5M ( i believe as in non-NHL world also here pre-aneks to main contract exist...so they sign 6 x 12M on the same day for 2021/2022 Season to hit it ), which would actually be way above Kutcherov bridge contract

Kapanen 1 x 2,9M - which also is quite high bridge deal on top of 9 + 44

Johnsson 1 x 2,9M - same as above for 3 + 43

Ozhiganov 1 x 925k

I still think it should be aging Kadri on the way out.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.

I think Carolina would and should do this

As much as I love Pesce, he is #3 behind Slavin and Hamilton

Nylander is worth it for us
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Laudan
Its kinda funny how we are building two camps here in TML base curently : pro- and anti-Nylander.

You may right about the two camps. But maybe it isn't so much anti Nylander it's anti Nylander contract. And with the current cap situation, I would rather lose Nylander than Kapanen. If the Leafs had cap flexibility we could swallow Nylander's contract next season. Just don't think it can be done.
To me those the Nylander and Matthews contracts were definite overpays be the Leaf. Now the Leafs have Dubas and host of executives behind the decision making of awarding those contracts. You have to think they knew what doing and it would be long term good for the Leafs. But right now me (and the "anti Nylanders") don't understand it.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Edited Apr. 17, 2019 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
To me those the Nylander and Matthews contracts were definite overpays be the Leaf. Now the Leafs have Dubas and host of executives behind the decision making of awarding those contracts. You have to think they knew what doing and it would be long term good for the Leafs. But right now me (and the "anti Nylanders") don't understand it.

We are on same page here from the very signing.....was rediculed by many when claiming Matthews is huge overpayment ( Nylanders 600k i can still swallow ).

Its sad to see how "building dynasty" can be screwed with a single move by another Bowman / Chiarelli type of genius.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll