SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Seeking CBA Experts?

Apr. 18, 2019 at 12:50 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Apr. 18, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
Hey ya'll
Looking for some "Cap-ologists" to answer the issue(s) if Boston inserts OHL's Jack Studnicka in the roster during the playoffs (post was originally an Armchair discussion that went un-resolved).
My best guess is in italics below but it's only a guess...

Not sure 100% but J Stud's play now might burn a year of RFA? Or it's the CBA (and/or the "situation") that might get in the way of a call-up for J Stud?

Example: McAvoy (2016/17 no reg. season and 6 playoff games where call-up was deemed justifiable by GM ("the situation") because B's were injured on D to begin post-season. 2017/18: reg/playoff, 2018/19 reg season/playoff which will result in RFA after 'two' seasons). Aside: is that due to US college differing from Major Jr? I don't know...

So, if J Stud suits up will he reduce RFA years by one as w/ McA, as follows: 2018/19 playoffs, 2019/20 reg/play, 2020/21 reg/play, then JS is RFA? (if so, B's will have Jake D, M Grz, C Clift and now J Stud to sign out of RFA - ugg $$$)!?

Any experts can shine some light on this type of scenario?
Cheers
Apr. 18, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Quoting: Capfriendly
What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

I am by no means an expert, but found this in CBA FAQ. Since his ELC signing age was 18 and his birthday is Feb 18, 1999 (so he did not turn 20 between Sept 15 and Dec 31), his contract is eligible to slide for a second year (as long as he plays in less than 10 games). This would make him an RFA in the summer of 2022.

The difference between this situation and your McAvoy example is the ELC signing age. McAvoy signed his ELC at age 20 so he was not eligible for an ELC slide.
McGruff liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 2:18 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: moli92
I am by no means an expert, but found this in CBA FAQ. Since his ELC signing age was 18 and his birthday is Feb 18, 1999 (so he did not turn 20 between Sept 15 and Dec 31), his contract is eligible to slide for a second year (as long as he plays in less than 10 games). This would make him an RFA in the summer of 2022.

The difference between this situation and your McAvoy example is the ELC signing age. McAvoy signed his ELC at age 20 so he was not eligible for an ELC slide.

Hey thanks Moli,
I did read briefly the "sliding" clause yesterday but nice to get some confirmation bits...
J Stud: as per Cap Friendly was signed at 18y and is a 'slide' candidate w/ 10 games remaining.
Similarly: A. Texier w/ CBJ (signed at 19y) is a 'slide' candidate w/ 5-games remaining. IMPT: he is also on the "active" playoff roster.

J Stud is not on the B's active playoff roster (yet) in that regard...so there's still some grey area in my understanding. If JS was to become active and play 11 games...then what?
Cheers

PS: after 11 games their on a cup run so who cares mo-fo LOL
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:01 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Hey thanks Moli,
I did read briefly the "sliding" clause yesterday but nice to get some confirmation bits...
J Stud: as per Cap Friendly was signed at 18y and is a 'slide' candidate w/ 10 games remaining.
Similarly: A. Texier w/ CBJ (signed at 19y) is a 'slide' candidate w/ 5-games remaining. IMPT: he is also on the "active" playoff roster.

J Stud is not on the B's active playoff roster (yet) in that regard...so there's still some grey area in my understanding. If JS was to become active and play 11 games...then what?
Cheers

PS: after 11 games their on a cup run so who cares mo-fo LOL

If he plays 10 or more games this offseason it would burn a year of his ELC, which would mean he would be an RFA in the summer of 2021. But as you said, if this happens then the Bruins would be on a deep cup run so it's worth it lol
McGruff liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll