Forums/Armchair-GM

Working the Cap

Created by: Vanilla_Icing
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 20, 2019
Published: Apr. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First things first: Point gets a pay day after his stellar season. I'm hoping he doesn't consistently disappear in the playoffs. Erne had a solid year as well and will provide some affordable depth in the bottom 6. He also helped Tampa have the best penalty kill during the regular season. Myers comes in as a direct replacement for an aging Stralman with it looking likely he'll leave Winnipeg in the summer. He'll be expected to be the top RHD and eat a lot of minutes in all situations. To squeeze under the cap, Callahan needs to be moved. I've chosen Chicago as it's possible he is willing to go there (waive his NMC) and he should be able to help their lackluster penalty kill. They don't have too many guys to re-sign and have some cap space, so they can afford him for a single year, since there's no way he makes 5 mil per again if he doesn't retire. Cally won't have too much value of course, so I'll just take a mid/late rounder. The team is still just over the cap, and someone is going to have to be shipped out. The most obvious candidate is JT Miller, with the only catch being his 10 team no trade list. I figure teams like Edmonton are likely on that list, so he won't be going to a perennial rebuilder. Columbus seems like a good fit since Miller fits their style. He's pretty young still, has size, and is defensively responsible. Columbus will likely need to replace some of their forwards with Panarin and possibly Duchene on their way out. They will also have to shell out some dough to Werenski and will likely be looking for a goaltender unless they feel they can a Kinkaid/Korpisalo tandem. Even after signing Werenski, they'll have 20 mil in cap space to work with though, or just over 15 mil with Miller on the roster. I have heard that Dzingle wants to stay in Columbus, but Columbus should still have over 10 mil in space if Dzingle does re-sign. As for compensation, top 6 forwards with term have a price to pay. I'm looking for a depth roster player here plus some change at minimum. I like Riley Nash as a penalty killer, but I'd also be interested in Josh Anderson, who is essentially a cheaper but less versatile Miller, as Miller can play both center and wing. I'm going to go with Nash here as the main piece though, as Columbus seems to value Anderson quite a bit. Nash will also make Paquette expendable, though he'll realistically only fetch a mid round pick. I'll send him to Philly, who could use some help on the penalty kill. I'll also take the RFA rights to Markus Hannikainen, who will be a cheap 4th line forward. I'd take a mid round pick too, but Columbus is already lacking in the pick department and I don't see them shelling out any more picks. I'll take a somewhat older prospect instead with Stenlund, who was alright in the AHL but not exceptional. He does still have some room for growth though, so I'll send a mid round pick back to try and balance the deal. Stenlund will likely spend the year in Syracuse. I'm hopeful Cal Foote will be able to play in the NHL at this point, though if he's not, a cheap RHD like Chad Ruhwedel could be signed to slot into the bottom pair. The defense is noticeably weaker than it was this past year, but something has to give. I'd probably try to move Sergachev out for a decent dman on a good long term deal with Vasi's contract expiring. They likely won't win the President's again, but that's ok. Just don't get swept in the first round again.

Note: I am not a Tampa fan.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
Trades
TBL
  1. 2020 5th round pick (CHI)
CBJ
  1. Miller, J.T.
  2. 2020 5th round pick (CHI)
TBL
  1. 2020 4th round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Paquette, Cédric [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$82,548,331$0$1,862,500$451,669

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$5,166,666$5,166,666
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 6
$9,000,000$9,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 21, 2019 at 1:21 a.m.
CBJ would take that deal.
However, I think Chicago would run in the other direction. They already have aging veterans Seabrook, Keith, & Anisimov to contend with. Adding another 30 something on a bad contract is not likely. And if you do unload him, you will have to pay to do so in draft picks and/or prospects. Otherwise, just buy him out.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 1:26 a.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
CBJ would take that deal.
However, I think Chicago would run in the other direction. They already have aging veterans Seabrook, Keith, & Anisimov to contend with. Adding another 30 something on a bad contract is not likely. And if you do unload him, you will have to pay to do so in draft picks and/or prospects. Otherwise, just buy him out.

Callahan's contract would expire at the end of the 2020 season, so they only have the high cap hit for 1 season. I don't foresee Chicago having any cap issues in that one year.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 2:23 a.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
If Callahan is a good pk sure but no way we do you a favor and take him for free. You'll have to pay us to take him. Not so much but enough to sweeten the pot.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 2:25 a.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Quoting: CFMan
If Callahan is a good pk sure but no way we do you a favor and take him for free. You'll have to pay us to take him. Not so much but enough to sweeten the pot.

Fair enough. He does do some decent work on the PK and help Tampa get the top PK for the year. I'd be willing to throw in a mid round pick if I had to. Maybe a 4th
Apr. 21, 2019 at 7:34 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Little cap and a roster of 20. The Meyers signing isn't practical at all. You don't seem to understand the severity of Callahan's 5.8m cap dump. Tampa will be giving sweeteners, at a second rounder for a team to take his him and his contract.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 8:15 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
WOW .. Walt Whitman has nothing on you .. what a prose. Tampa does none of above.. Miller has 1st round value .. versatile center .. great FO stats and PP and as forward anywhere in Top 9. You could argue he is under utilized in Tampa because of center overload .. Cirelli as 3rd line center is emerging star.. and the non performing shrimps .. Gourde and Johnson .. would rather move the shrimps but we will see on that. For Miller any NHL team looking to likely upgrade the 2nd/3rd line center role he is perfect. His age and contract is also a positive. He worth a first or packaged for a RHD .. trade to Buffalo for Risto or Carolina for Faulk make ton of sense for both teams.

ALSO .. Paquette had great year as 4th line center and PK .. sign him .. Erne to me is expendable as many Crunch players better than him.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Quoting: Vanilla_Icing
Fair enough. He does do some decent work on the PK and help Tampa get the top PK for the year. I'd be willing to throw in a mid round pick if I had to. Maybe a 4th

Thats not enough either. Every team knows that Tampa is in a cap bind so Tampa will have to pay a decent chunk to get rid of his contract and teams will be trying to rip Tampa off while also undercutting the competition to get a deal done.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 11:42 p.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Thats not enough either. Every team knows that Tampa is in a cap bind so Tampa will have to pay a decent chunk to get rid of his contract and teams will be trying to rip Tampa off while also undercutting the competition to get a deal done.

What would you propose then?
Apr. 21, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
WOW .. Walt Whitman has nothing on you .. what a prose. Tampa does none of above.. Miller has 1st round value .. versatile center .. great FO stats and PP and as forward anywhere in Top 9. You could argue he is under utilized in Tampa because of center overload .. Cirelli as 3rd line center is emerging star.. and the non performing shrimps .. Gourde and Johnson .. would rather move the shrimps but we will see on that. For Miller any NHL team looking to likely upgrade the 2nd/3rd line center role he is perfect. His age and contract is also a positive. He worth a first or packaged for a RHD .. trade to Buffalo for Risto or Carolina for Faulk make ton of sense for both teams.

ALSO .. Paquette had great year as 4th line center and PK .. sign him .. Erne to me is expendable as many Crunch players better than him.

That's fair. I actually like Paquette, I just viewed Nash as an upgrade as he performs the same role and contributes more offensively. I'd also be looking to move Johnson at the deadline, I just have reason to believe Miller is easier to move since he's versatile enough to fit in nearly any system and many teams undervalue undersized players like Johnson. I'd be ok with replacing Erne, I just know he played on the PK and Tampa had one of the best PKs this past season. I'd be ok with moving Gourde, but he's undersized as well, so teams won't give up as much for him in general. Cirelli could get time on special teams, and I personally place great value in a good third line center. I know teams would pay a lot for someone like Miller, but they also know that Tampa is strapped for cash, which could drive the price down a bit.
Apr. 21, 2019 at 11:57 p.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Quoting: palhal
Little cap and a roster of 20. The Meyers signing isn't practical at all. You don't seem to understand the severity of Callahan's 5.8m cap dump. Tampa will be giving sweeteners, at a second rounder for a team to take his him and his contract.

I signed Myers because the team had no good right handed defensemen. There is no way Cernak or Foote can be on the top pair next season for a contender. I know I'm up against the cap, but as soon as someone gets hurt, I'll have cap space to call anyone up. It's not ideal, but certainly not impossible to work around. Callahan is hardly a cap dump when he fills a need for Chicago and only has 1 year remaining on his current deal. Chicago had one of the worst penalty kills in the league and Callahan can help fix that. Chicago also has plenty of cap space to work with for the upcoming season with no one looking at getting a massive pay raise.
Apr. 22, 2019 at 6:59 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited Apr. 22, 2019 at 7:26 a.m.
Nah Cernek better than Myers now as a defensive defensemen and top 4 RHD on any team. Cernek is similar to Brandon Carlo who is major reason Bruins beating Leafs now.

With that said there is no other RHD and as stated above Cernek not offensive hence the trade for Risto Faulk etc.. Foote has promise but is unproven . Just NO on Erik Karlsson .. buyer beware on him
Apr. 22, 2019 at 7:02 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
That's fair. I actually like Paquette, I just viewed Nash as an upgrade as he performs the same role and contributes more offensively. I'd also be looking to move Johnson at the deadline, I just have reason to believe Miller is easier to move since he's versatile enough to fit in nearly any system and many teams undervalue undersized players like Johnson. I'd be ok with replacing Erne, I just know he played on the PK and Tampa had one of the best PKs this past season. I'd be ok with moving Gourde, but he's undersized as well, so teams won't give up as much for him in general. Cirelli could get time on special teams, and I personally place great value in a good third line center. I know teams would pay a lot for someone like Miller, but they also know that Tampa is strapped for cash, which could drive the price down a bit.

You maybe right in "tradeability" with Miller but I think Gourde can be moved but needs to happen before NTC clause and contract kicks in. JOHNSON will go to Seattle in 2020 so only 1 year left on that .. he was awful this year.
Apr. 22, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan

I'd say a third and one of your young wing prospects. Third+ Fortier/Volkov/Raddysh/Katchouk + Callahan for cost controlled replacement player and fourth/fifth round pick. The wingers fit the Hawks needs, I'm sure other teams would want your dman like Foote or Centers like Barre-Boulet or Huntington instead.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 1:52 a.m.
Vanilla_Icing
I'd say a third and one of your young wing prospects. Third+ Fortier/Volkov/Raddysh/Katchouk + Callahan for cost controlled replacement player and fourth/fifth round pick. The wingers fit the Hawks needs, I'm sure other teams would want your dman like Foote or Centers like Barre-Boulet or Huntington instead.

Alright that's not too bad. Fair enough
Apr. 23, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
Vanilla_Icing
You maybe right in "tradeability" with Miller but I think Gourde can be moved but needs to happen before NTC clause and contract kicks in. JOHNSON will go to Seattle in 2020 so only 1 year left on that .. he was awful this year.

Gourde certainly could be moved, but I don't think he has as much value in trades. He could be moved sure, but I think he has more value on the roster at the moment.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 1:56 a.m.
Vanilla_Icing
Nah Cernek better than Myers now as a defensive defensemen and top 4 RHD on any team. Cernek is similar to Brandon Carlo who is major reason Bruins beating Leafs now.

With that said there is no other RHD and as stated above Cernek not offensive hence the trade for Risto Faulk etc.. Foote has promise but is unproven . Just NO on Erik Karlsson .. buyer beware on him

I would never have gone for Karlsson and Foote being unproven is precisely why I took Myers. Teams can't have 5 defensemen and he is a proven player. He's also not at an age where regression is a serious concern.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll