SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Norris Finalists

Apr. 22, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
Am I the only one who was shocked at Hedman's nomination? How could he be top 3 this season? Hedman totaled only 54 points and was +24 on a team that blew the rest of the league away in goal differential. Ryan McDonagh was, in my opinion, the TBL's most valuable D this year. He was +38 and finished w/ only 8 fewer points than Hedman. Carlson had another monster year w/ 70 points and Morgan Rielly was dominant offensively w/ 20G and 52A. He was also plus/minus +24, far and away the best number of his career. I had Rielly #2 behind only Giordano.

Personally, I didn't think Hedman deserved to win last year either, as Doughty was simply incredible on both ends of the ice. But Hedman was great. I feel like he's dining out on his reputation this year b/c of what he's done in the past. I wouldn't have him in my top 5 this season.
mhockey91 liked this.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 4:19 a.m.
Edited Apr. 23, 2019 at 2:07 p.m. by Banks
Quoting: Brian2016
Personally, I didn't think Hedman deserved to win last year either, as Doughty was simply incredible on both ends of the ice.

[mod]

Hedman: 17+46 in 77. +32
Doughty: 10+50 in 82. +23

And if you are talking about being good "on both ends of the ice", it may be the reason why Hedman got his nomination this year. It was probably his best "two-way" season of his career.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
Edited Apr. 23, 2019 at 2:08 p.m. by Banks
Quoting: matulix

Hedman: 17+46 in 77. +32
Doughty: 10+50 in 82. +23

And if you are talking about being good "on both ends of the ice", it may be the reason why Hedman got his nomination this year. It was probably his best "two-way" season of his career.

Best 2-way season of Hedman's career??? That's just ridiculous and hyperbolic. Obviously, you're biased. Doughty didn't have Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, etc. scoring goals all last season. It's not always just about the offensive numbers anyway. Hedman plays on an all star team...of course his numbers will be highly inflated. His plus/minus was actually very mediocre considering TBL was +103 goal differential in 2018-19. Now go ahead and attack me personally now that I've made a decisive argument. Lol.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 1:54 p.m.
Best 2-way season of Hedman's career??? That's just ridiculous and hyperbolic. Obviously, you're biased. Doughty didn't have Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, etc. scoring goals all last season. It's not always just about the offensive numbers anyway. Hedman plays on an all star team...of course his numbers will be highly inflated. His plus/minus was actually very mediocre considering TBL was +103 goal differential in 2018-19. Now go ahead and attack me personally now that I've made a decisive argument. Lol.

I actually like you.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 8:34 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Am I the only one who was shocked at Hedman's nomination? How could he be top 3 this season? Hedman totaled only 54 points and was +24 on a team that blew the rest of the league away in goal differential. Ryan McDonagh was, in my opinion, the TBL's most valuable D this year. He was +38 and finished w/ only 8 fewer points than Hedman. Carlson had another monster year w/ 70 points and Morgan Rielly was dominant offensively w/ 20G and 52A. He was also plus/minus +24, far and away the best number of his career. I had Rielly #2 behind only Giordano.

Personally, I didn't think Hedman deserved to win last year either, as Doughty was simply incredible on both ends of the ice. But Hedman was great. I feel like he's dining out on his reputation this year b/c of what he's done in the past. I wouldn't have him in my top 5 this season.

Hedman benefited from the team he was playing on. Doughty played for a bad team and was overlooked. That’s pretty common, unjust but common
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:35 p.m.
Quoting: edeangel84
Hedman benefited from the team he was playing on. Doughty played for a bad team and was overlooked. That’s pretty common, unjust but common

Agreed. Doughty had a bad year by his standards this season anyway. But, I guess the point I was trying to make is that too much emphasis is put on point totals instead of the total package. It's moot anyway as I think Giordano will win by a significant margin this season. He was simply amazing for CGY.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:38 p.m.
Quoting: matulix
I actually like you.

Haha! I just think the voters need to better define the criteria for many of the awards. Or maybe have a separate award for best offensive D.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Haha! I just think the voters need to better define the criteria for many of the awards. Or maybe have a separate award for best offensive D.

Yeah. Like a reverse selke. The Orr Trophy? Watched Heddy all year, he was good but not Norris worthy. McDonough was better, but not norris either. Reilly was a little hard done by.

None of this really matters though because theres such a gap between Gio and everyone else that the other two finalists are just making up numbers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll