SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Dallas Stars

This team is the Dark Horse of these playoffs

Apr. 23, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Apr. 23, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Especially because of how much they are all underdogs. Last year, none of them made it to round 2, but the only big underdogs in the WCs were NJD and COL. LAK was probably the favourite against VGK and CBJ was a bit of an underdog but they weren't a big underdog. 2017, NSH and TOR were big underdogs, and maybe CGY. But the Rangers weren't really.

This year, Columbus, Dallas, Colorado, and Carolina were all big underdogs going into the series. If they all move on to round 2 that would be 4 big upsets in round 1. And i mean actually big upsets. Not like St. Louis over Winnipeg which isn't really an upset (and wouldn't be if Winnipeg had won, either).

To me Dallas and the Canes were the big underdogs. Colorado has a good team just not deep and Columbus loaded up. Now maybe you consider CBJ the bigger underdog simply due to the match up but to me, Dallas over Nashville is the real shocker so far.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 12:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Jamiepo
To me Dallas and the Canes were the big underdogs. Colorado has a good team just not deep and Columbus loaded up. Now maybe you consider CBJ the bigger underdog simply due to the match up but to me, Dallas has ver Nashville is the real shocker so far.

Columbus was the biggest upset because of who they were playing IMO. All 3 are big upsets though, and Carolina would be if they win. I picked Nashville and Tampa both to sweep lol.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 12:32 p.m.
Maybe in previous years, but they won the cup last year ...

We'll see, was it a flash in the pan, or a breakthrough
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Caniac2000
We'll see, was it a flash in the pan, or a breakthrough

That's fair. I would still say right now that they are a team who knows how to win in the playoffs. They are a good playoff team IMO.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
That's fair. I would still say right now that they are a team who knows how to win in the playoffs. They are a good playoff team IMO.

We'll see, because if Carolina win tonight... Washington are getting that label back
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:01 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Hackadart
COL, CBJ, STL, NYI all say “get in line”

LOL haha looking back at this ... Why do so many people think St. Louis was a "big underdog"? The only reason they weren't a more common pick for the cup was because of Tampa Bay lol ... they were NOT a big underdog. They were basically picked 50/50 to beat WPG. I had Winnipeg beating then, i'm just saying they were a pretty common pick to go to the final. The words basically half of people were saying (the people who picked St. Louis), "I'm going to go with a huge upset that no one will see coming ... St. Louis over Winnipeg."
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:05 p.m.
What in tarnation
LOL haha looking back at this ... Why do so many people think St. Louis was a "big underdog"? The only reason they weren't a more common pick for the cup was because of Tampa Bay lol ... they were NOT a big underdog. They were basically picked 50/50 to beat WPG. I had Winnipeg beating then, i'm just saying they were a pretty common pick to go to the final. The words basically half of people were saying (the people who picked St. Louis), "I'm going to go with a huge upset that no one will see coming ... St. Louis over Winnipeg."

They were considered an underdog due to being dead last in January I assume.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Carolina have won all 4 of the last game 7's they played, (these are just the ones I remember, there were the ones in the 02 run to the finals as well) Washington have a history of choking, let's see

LOL idk how i ended up reading these comments ... just came to this thread and started reading old comments. Always fun to look back on these things ... the Canes have never lost a game 7 since moving there if i'm correct.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BurgerBoss
They were considered an underdog due to being dead last in January I assume.

They were an underdog in January. Back then basically nobody thought they'd win the cup lol ... but going into the playoffs they weren't a big underdog at all.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:20 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan

Personally I am a TOR fan but I made a note (literally in my Samsung) the day TOR signed JT Called scary blues talking about how badass the blues might be this year, I hopped on that bandwagon before anyone else knew there was one to hop on.... but because most people seemed to look past em it ended up being a true dark horse that won the cup and I was satisfied as hell when they won (especially because it was the bruins they were up against) lol
Jul. 19, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
LOL idk how i ended up reading these comments ... just came to this thread and started reading old comments. Always fun to look back on these things ... the Canes have never lost a game 7 since moving there if i'm correct.

That is incorrect, they lost in 7 in 2001 to Boston in the first round, it was the last time they lost befor the 3rd round in the playoffs
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:24 p.m.
What in tarnation
That is incorrect, they lost in 7 in 2001 to Boston in the first round, it was the last time they lost befor the 3rd round in the playoffs

That was game 6 against Devils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carolina_Hurricanes_seasons see here
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss

I got the year and games wrong, I meant 99, but I could have sworn that series went 7, I must be mistaken though.
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 21, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

They lost in 6 to Boston in 1999.
Jul. 21, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Hackadart
Personally I am a TOR fan but I made a note (literally in my Samsung) the day TOR signed JT Called scary blues talking about how badass the blues might be this year, I hopped on that bandwagon before anyone else knew there was one to hop on.... but because most people seemed to look past em it ended up being a true dark horse that won the cup and I was satisfied as hell when they won (especially because it was the bruins they were up against) lol

They were one of the favourites to make it out of the west.
Jul. 24, 2019 at 6:39 p.m.
They lost in 6 to Boston in 1999.

Close enough
Aug. 2, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
I like what they did, they could push for a wild card or even playoff spot and no one would really notice. I just hope that the top 3 can score like 90+ each

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll