SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto fans give me intel on Mark Hunter

Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
There's reports out there that Mark Hunter got a second interview with the Oilers for the GM role. Wanted to see what he actually did for the leafs. All along I've been rooting for him or McCrimmon for our next GM but I think Hunter's a better choice. Leafs drafted better when he was there, the Knights are a powerhouse, etc.

Were you guys happy Dubas won the job over him?

On a side note, does TML let Mike Babcock go right after they lose? I believe should the Leafs let him go, he's gotta be the top Head Coach in the market.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Wasn’t he the guy who played a real tough game and was a goal scorer?
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:13 p.m.
EthanBearForVezina
I’m not a fan of Hunter. Keith Gretzkys drafting has been better than Hunters, which is the main reason why everyone hypes up hunter. I’d much rather have Verbeek, hextall, Mahoney, Kretzky, and McCrimmon over Hunter.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:18 p.m.
First

Babcock is going nowhere.

I am glad Dubas got the job but sad they didn’t figure out a way to keep Hunter also.

He has great eye for talent and how to build a winning roster in London. Have not seen anything good or bad as to trading your way out of the hell that is the current oilers roster. If you are okay drafting and waiting 2 or 3 years he might be your guy. I put mccrimmon in this same category.

I think joe neuindyk is under rated and also Ron Francis.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:19 p.m.
Quoting: EthanBearForVezina
I’m not a fan of Hunter. Keith Gretzkys drafting has been better than Hunters, which is the main reason why everyone hypes up hunter. I’d much rather have Verbeek, hextall, Mahoney, Kretzky, and McCrimmon over Hunter.

I like Verbeek/Hunter/Kretzky. But if Keith gets the GM job, we need a POHO. Someone like Holland (pulled his name from consideration) would've been a great tandem. I like Keith and I think he has potential but he needs someone backing him.

McCrimmon is kind of in the same boat as Hunter with previous success/GMing CHL teams. Thing with McCrimmon is that his main experience is being an AGM for an expansion team. I would argue that its easier to be GM/AGM when you're picking the 11th best player in every organization. No bad contracts to move out, no expectations are two big upsides when working for an expansion team. Also if I'm McCrimmon, I'd be way more interested in Seattle rather than EDM.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:21 p.m.
Quoting: Jtcurls
First

Babcock is going nowhere.

I am glad Dubas got the job but sad they didn’t figure out a way to keep Hunter also.

He has great eye for talent and how to build a winning roster in London. Have not seen anything good or bad as to trading your way out of the hell that is the current oilers roster. If you are okay drafting and waiting 2 or 3 years he might be your guy. I put mccrimmon in this same category.

I think joe neuindyk is under rated and also Ron Francis.

yeah, not sure why there's talks of Dubas potentially letting Babcock go. And if he were, I believe it would be the end of next season. Sucks for EDM that there's no more proven coaches out in the market now.
Apr. 23, 2019 at 10:36 p.m.
What do you mean no one proven.

Mark Crawford, Bob Hartley, Daryl Sutter, David Tippet, Dan Blasma, soon Peter Laveolette, Paul Maurice also may be soon.

Personally I think the should hire Wayne Gretzky as nhl player coach. smile)
Apr. 25, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
If coach Q was still out there, Babcock would have his walking papers.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
There's reports out there that Mark Hunter got a second interview with the Oilers for the GM role. Wanted to see what he actually did for the leafs. All along I've been rooting for him or McCrimmon for our next GM but I think Hunter's a better choice. Leafs drafted better when he was there, the Knights are a powerhouse, etc.

Were you guys happy Dubas won the job over him?

On a side note, does TML let Mike Babcock go right after they lose? I believe should the Leafs let him go, he's gotta be the top Head Coach in the market.

Hunter's success as Leafs "draft guy" wasn't that good, so I wouldn't base on his hiring on his record as a Leaf. I don't know if Hunter would have been better or worse than Dubas as GM. I'm not blaming Dubas specifically, but those two contracts of Nylander and Mathews are big overpayments....which seem to be have a continuing affect on future signings. Where was the team of executives at MLSE that should have been more cap conscious? I don't think Dubas had free reign in contract negotiations but if he did, he should not have that sole authority.

Don't think the Leafs fire Babcock, after all the guys that hired him (Shanahan and friends) would have to acknowledge he isn't the "guy" anymore. But he should be fired. His game management is poor and maybe his game prep strategy is poor also. Leafs will never be better with Babcock as coach. For a chance to win, the Leafs should get a better head coach and I would say new better coaching staff.
DripBayless liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll