SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Hottest of hot takes

Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
Banned
1 - Fire Babcock (not that hot of a take). PP shouldn't have been this bad with all the skill they have on it. It was brutal except the first 2 months of the season when the league figured them out and they didn't make adjustments. Let them down in playoffs. Let DJ Smith walk to. He's the assistant coach that was responsible for the d-zone play and PK, we all seen how that went. Sheldon Keefe can be the new head coach and hire his own assistants.

2 - Leafs management needs to consider (I'm not saying for sure) but consider moving Freddy Andersen and finding a new goalie (hot take). His value is probably at an all time high with how good of a playoff he had in the first 5 games of a series, so they could cash in big on it (obviously return comes with a goalie). But his playoff history says he may not be the guy that can win a cup. His career game 7 numbers are brutal. He hasn't played well in either of the last 2 game 7's that he's played in Toronto. & when the Leafs has the chance to close out the series at home, Freddy didn't play well again. It's becoming a trend. Certain guys are good, but don't show up in big moments. Freddy might be one of them. I'm not saying it was his fault they lost the series, he's was undoubtedly their MVP and best player, but he didn't show up when it counted and yet again it's another first round exit. Plus he'll be a UFA in 2 years so it might be smart to look for a replacement that can perform in playoffs now before the times too late.

Don't tear my head off too much Leafs Nation.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
I agree with the assistant coaches being gone. I'm not sure about babcock though, he has many flaws but the team was very good 5v5 and he was a part of that. They should at least give him another chance or a small look before they make a decision but it is hard to trust him.

Anderson was amazing up until game 7 and there aren't many better goalies who are available and on such cheap contracts. He still made some huge saves there were just a couple of weak ones that hurt him.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:31 a.m.
Boston wins in 5 games if not for Anderson. As a Bruins fan, yes 100% trade Anderson lol.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:39 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_
I agree with the assistant coaches being gone. I'm not sure about babcock though, he has many flaws but the team was very good 5v5 and he was a part of that. They should at least give him another chance or a small look before they make a decision but it is hard to trust him.

Anderson was amazing up until game 7 and there aren't many better goalies who are available and on such cheap contracts. He still made some huge saves there were just a couple of weak ones that hurt him.

I'd fire him, he's a vastly overrated coach. Cooper is heading in that direction as well.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:49 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jack_

Quoting: ON3M4N
Boston wins in 5 games if not for Anderson. As a Bruins fan, yes 100% trade Anderson lol.

... as I said, it wasn't Freddy's fault for the series loss. But he didn't show up in game 6 or 7 when they coulda won it. Big time goalies show up when needed. Holtby was trash last year in the season but always shows up in playoffs. Toronto needs a goalie like that. Whether it's Freddy or not
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
... as I said, it wasn't Freddy's fault for the series loss. But he didn't show up in game 6 or 7 when they coulda won it. Big time goalies show up when needed. Holtby was trash last year in the season but always shows up in playoffs. Toronto needs a goalie like that. Whether it's Freddy or not

He had a .914 SV% over the last two games, he gave Toronto a chance. The team in front of him managed 3 goals over the last two games, so basically you're asking your netminder to at minimum have a .959 sv% assuming the same volume of shots against for game 6 and 7.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.
Banned
I'd fire him, he's a vastly overrated coach. Cooper is heading in that direction as well.

Wouldn't say he's overrated at all. He has the credentials to prove it. He's just an old school type of coach and stubborn to his ways. It's not an old school league anymore though. If he'd make adjustments more he'd be fine. Like not playing his franchise player so little in game 7. Matthews shoulda been well over 22 minutes and he wasn't. That's on the head coach. No excuses

He had a .914 SV% over the last two games, he gave Toronto a chance. The team in front of him managed 3 goals over the last two games, so basically you're asking your netminder to at minimum have a .959 sv% assuming the same volume of shots against for game 6 and 7.

Its not about quantity of shots and goals, it's about quality. At minimum he should had the 1st and 3rd goal in game 7, I'd argue the 2nd one too but it was a nice shot. Game 6 he shoulda had the 1st and 2nd goals. In potential series clinching games, that 4 maybe 5 questionable goals and just isn't good enough. Plus you go back to last year when he had a brutal game 7. Take a look at his career game 7 numbers, they're awful. I'm not saying he's not a good goalie, he absolutely is. The best Toronto has probably had since Potvin or CuJo.. but from his performances, he's not a playoff goalie. Playoff goalies find ways to win and he really hasn't won anything in his career
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:43 a.m.
Wouldn't say he's overrated at all. He has the credentials to prove it. He's just an old school type of coach and stubborn to his ways. It's not an old school league anymore though. If he'd make adjustments more he'd be fine. Like not playing his franchise player so little in game 7. Matthews shoulda been well over 22 minutes and he wasn't. That's on the head coach. No excuses

What credentials? The guy had stacked DET teams with some of the best players of their time lol. The guy has been Toronto's coach for 4 years now and they've never made it past the 1st round. Take it even further, a Mike Babcock led team hasn't made it past the first round in 6 years. They haven't made a SCF appearance in 10 years

Quote:
Its not about quantity of shots and goals, it's about quality. At minimum he should had the 1st and 3rd goal in game 7, I'd argue the 2nd one too but it was a nice shot. Game 6 he shoulda had the 1st and 2nd goals. In potential series clinching games, that 4 maybe 5 questionable goals and just isn't good enough. Plus you go back to last year when he had a brutal game 7. Take a look at his career game 7 numbers, they're awful. I'm not saying he's not a good goalie, he absolutely is. The best Toronto has probably had since Potvin or CuJo.. but from his performances, he's not a playoff goalie. Playoff goalies find ways to win and he really hasn't won anything in his career

Again as a Bruins fan I'd be thrilled if you traded away Anderson lol.
Savard96 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.
Bcarlo25

He also robbed the bruins top line all series
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bcarlo25
He also robbed the bruins top line all series

Again, I'm not saying he didn't. Not saying he isn't a good goalie. But as I've said, he didn't come through when they needed him most - game 6 and 7. He was actually pretty awful in game 7 again and Rask finally played well and outplayed him. Rask showed ip when his team needed him to, Andersen didn't.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Again, I'm not saying he didn't. Not saying he isn't a good goalie. But as I've said, he didn't come through when they needed him most - game 6 and 7. He was actually pretty awful in game 7 again and Rask finally played well and outplayed him. Rask showed ip when his team needed him to, Andersen didn't.

You won’t find a better goalie on the market.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bcarlo25
You won’t find a better goalie on the market.

Pittsburgh literally said the only "untouchables" are Crosby and Malkin. They scream to be a desperate team for change. Said that Murray is available but at a high price.. I'd start there. Andersen for Murray and see what has to be added on both sides. It'd be a blockbuster, but might be worth it. Murray has proven he can win in the playoffs. Andersen is the better goalie right now, it would definitely at least start conversations between the teams
Apr. 24, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Pittsburgh literally said the only "untouchables" are Crosby and Malkin. They scream to be a desperate team for change. Said that Murray is available but at a high price.. I'd start there. Andersen for Murray and see what has to be added on both sides. It'd be a blockbuster, but might be worth it. Murray has proven he can win in the playoffs. Andersen is the better goalie right now, it would definitely at least start conversations between the teams

Hope you guys do it. The path for my bruins will be easier

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll