1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Gudbranson, Erik
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Boedker, Mikkel ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. Tierney, Chris
OTT
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$62,027,499$0$3,722,500$21,472,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$755,000$755,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
Wait, to get rid of Boedkar you want to take Johnson AND Gudbranson???

Yikes
Banned
Quoting: Riceroni
Wait, to get rid of Boedkar you want to take Johnson AND Gudbranson???

Yikes

And the 1st
PIT does that real quick.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: Csick123
And the 1st

Sorry, ya I saw that but still no...
Apr. 24, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Banned
penguins decline. Gudbranson has shown to be a capable player. Johnson is serviceable. There is always a lack of defense in the NHL. It's not hard to move either player.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
penguins decline. Gudbranson has shown to be a capable player. Johnson is serviceable. There is always a lack of defense in the NHL. It's not hard to move either player.

Capable and serviceable? Explain how your claim worked against the Islanders? There may be a lack of defense in the NHL but there is certainly a lack of intelligence on these forums.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: WhatsaMaattaWithYou
Capable and serviceable? Explain how your claim worked against the Islanders? There may be a lack of defense in the NHL but there is certainly a lack of intelligence on these forums.

Neither player is the reason they lost.. If you watched those games you know that. They didn't score. Period.
They dominated the possession, shot attempts, high danger. They didn't get the puck in the net. That's why they lost.

The myth that they lost due to JJ or Gudbranson is mind numbing. Maybe if Schultz and Letang weren't getting caught pinching and leaving 2 on 1s and Letang didn't try to play "hero" puck in overtime, they would have won. But it surely isn't due to either of these players.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Chiggy
penguins decline. Gudbranson has shown to be a capable player.

Yes, though expensive for a third pairing D, he's been good in those sheltered minutes.

penguins decline. Johnson is serviceable.

Lol what? By pretty much any metric one of the worst D in the league. One of the most frustrating players to watch that I have ever seen in a Penguins uniform. Incapable of making any play in the neutral or offensive zone. Constantly shoots it directly into the guy in front of him. Chases for hits the defensive zone and leaves people free to go to the net. Absolutely the worst.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Yes, though expensive for a third pairing D, he's been good in those sheltered minutes.

Lol what? By pretty much any metric one of the worst D in the league. One of the most frustrating players to watch that I have ever seen in a Penguins uniform. Incapable of making any play in the neutral or offensive zone. Constantly shoots it directly into the guy in front of him. Chases for hits the defensive zone and leaves people free to go to the net. Absolutely the worst.

A Gudbranson didn't play sheltered minutes. I'm not sure where you even get that from.
B You get more than a 3rd pairing guy. You also get an enforcer that helps your star players from getting abused...see the penguins directly after trading big rig and ask if you want to go through that again. PS those don't come cheap. Reaves just signed for 2.75 million a season to play 6-7 minutes a night. So spare me the expensive 3rd pairing guy.
C JJ gets judged off stats for playing on his Right side when he's Left handed for the majority of the season. Maybe you should start looking at his stats while playing his natural side where he can actually make a cross hand pass without having to backhand it. Fact is he's been decent, there are far worse in the league, he's serviceable and his contract isn't overly expensive. If they do move him, I doubt they do, but if they did it wouldn't cost much if anything.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Gudbranson hasn’t been bad. He’s a capable 3rd pair d. Not necessary to pay to get rid of him. JJ was hot garbage while playing the right side but did get better while playing the left side. I’m willing to give him another year fully playing his natural side if I’m gonna have to pay a 1st or top prospect just to get rid of them. Neither have a horrendous contract cap wise. JJ is only bad because of the term.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: Pensfan89
Gudbranson hasn’t been bad. He’s a capable 3rd pair d. Not necessary to pay to get rid of him. JJ was hot garbage while playing the right side but did get better while playing the left side. I’m willing to give him another year fully playing his natural side if I’m gonna have to pay a 1st or top prospect just to get rid of them. Neither have a horrendous contract cap wise. JJ is only bad because of the term.

Never said Gudbranson was bad with the Penguins. By pretty much any measure he's been good.

JJ was terrible playing the right side. He played slightly better on the left side but was still horrendous by any measure. And it was really bad against the Islanders.

Gudbranson actually has played well enough with the Pens that he might actually have some value on the trade market. Johnson has negative trade value but that cap space could be used in many other ways. It's not like a draft pick in the next year or two is going to help them in this closing window.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Banned
Neither player is the reason they lost.. If you watched those games you know that. They didn't score. Period.
They dominated the possession, shot attempts, high danger. They didn't get the puck in the net. That's why they lost.

The myth that they lost due to JJ or Gudbranson is mind numbing. Maybe if Schultz and Letang weren't getting caught pinching and leaving 2 on 1s and Letang didn't try to play "hero" puck in overtime, they would have won. But it surely isn't due to either of these players.

Just about every post and comment you make about the Penguins is ridiculous and makes people lose brain cells. With over 4k posts, one would presume you would know more about hockey than you do. Maybe spend more time educating yourself on the sport and less time giving lowbrow opinions. This last comment cements that sentiment. What you typed was contradictory in the point you are trying to prove. I suggest you reread it. Don't come at me saying "period' and tell me to watch the games when your evaluation of players is elementary at best. You probably think Garrett Wilson deserves to hold a regular roster spot.

The fact I need to even break this down for you is crazy. It'll be even more frustrating because you won't understand what I'm going to say and you will respond by repeating yourself but I will make it very simple to follow for you and I will even highlight it.

Here we go...

Offense (scoring), is driven by the defensemen. The defense must be able to transition the puck to the forwards and the forwards make offensive zone entries while maintaining puck possession. It takes little to no skill to chip the puck up off the glass or soft dump it out of the zone.

You wanna blame the only 2 defensemen on the team with puck moving ability but have admiration for the defensemen who are have zero offensive upside and defend averagely. How about the entire team played terrible? That's where the blame should be placed. They showed no heart. They don't want to go to the dirty areas, fail to win loose puck battles and did not play playoff hockey. Zero effort whatsoever. They have become complacent and stale.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
Banned
A Gudbranson didn't play sheltered minutes. I'm not sure where you even get that from.
B You get more than a 3rd pairing guy. You also get an enforcer that helps your star players from getting abused...see the penguins directly after trading big rig and ask if you want to go through that again. PS those don't come cheap. Reaves just signed for 2.75 million a season to play 6-7 minutes a night. So spare me the expensive 3rd pairing guy.
C JJ gets judged off stats for playing on his Right side when he's Left handed for the majority of the season. Maybe you should start looking at his stats while playing his natural side where he can actually make a cross hand pass without having to backhand it. Fact is he's been decent, there are far worse in the league, he's serviceable and his contract isn't overly expensive. If they do move him, I doubt they do, but if they did it wouldn't cost much if anything.
@Chigurrhh

Thank the heavens Pharrow isn't actually the Penguins GM. The entire team would be filled with useless grinders, enforcers and defensemen with no mobility. You need to get out of this "old time hockey" mentality. Times have changed.
Chigurrhh liked this.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Never said Gudbranson was bad with the Penguins. By pretty much any measure he's been good.

JJ was terrible playing the right side. He played slightly better on the left side but was still horrendous by any measure. And it was really bad against the Islanders.

Gudbranson actually has played well enough with the Pens that he might actually have some value on the trade market. Johnson has negative trade value but that cap space could be used in many other ways. It's not like a draft pick in the next year or two is going to help them in this closing window.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on JJ. I mean. I’m not saying he was great or even good by any measure. I think the defense as a whole wasn’t so much bad against the isles. I think stupid is more the appropriate word. Horrendous pinching and situational awareness.
For example: the Letang pinch that made it 1-1 in game 4 and the Schultz pinch that made it 2-1 in game 4. Both are plays you just don’t do in the playoffs when tied or have the lead.
That’s the problem when Letang says he refuses to change his game. He’s no longer the fastest player on the ice to get back. And that’s why the team defense is usually better when he is out of the lineup and the team plays with spare parts.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 6:17 p.m.
Chiggy
I think we will have to agree to disagree on JJ. I mean. I’m not saying he was great or even good by any measure. I think the defense as a whole wasn’t so much bad against the isles. I think stupid is more the appropriate word. Horrendous pinching and situational awareness.
For example: the Letang pinch that made it 1-1 in game 4 and the Schultz pinch that made it 2-1 in game 4. Both are plays you just don’t do in the playoffs when tied or have the lead.
That’s the problem when Letang says he refuses to change his game. He’s no longer the fastest player on the ice to get back. And that’s why the team defense is usually better when he is out of the lineup and the team plays with spare parts.

The problem is that everyone focuses on these one or two bad pinches that guys like Letang make. What happens with a guy like Johnson is that he doesn't take risks like that, he just hurts you in many smaller ways throughout the game. He literally can't do anything but shoot the puck into the guy in front of him in the offensive zone. Can't do anything to get the puck out of the defensive zone. Acts like the puck is a live grenade when he gets it and just dumps it to an area. That kind of **** leads to tons of low-danger turnovers and missed scoring chances. A any decent sample size it's going to hurt you a lot more than your top D man making a few errors.

The Penguins simply struggled to score for the majority of the islanders series. It's incredibly stupid to act like playing Jack Johnson on the second pairing for those games didn't contribute significantly to that.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on JJ..

So you just pretend that his on-ice results aren't abysmal?

Bad pinches happen. What people fail to grasp is that is a hell of a lot better than a player like Jack Johnson. A team with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Phil Kessel struggled to score all season whenever he was on the ice.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 6:21 p.m.
Chiggy
A Gudbranson didn't play sheltered minutes. .

He's been on the third pairing with Pettersson playing away from the top lines of his opponents. What are you talking about? He's been doing perfectly fine in that role too.

You also get an enforcer that helps your star players from getting abused...see the penguins directly after trading big rig and ask if you want to go through that again. PS those don't come cheap. Reaves just signed for 2.75 million a season to play 6-7 minutes a night. .

Funny that the Penguins didn't need any of that for their recent cup runs. Ryan Reaves lol. Do you forget how useless he was as a Penguin?

You are spewing a lot of ridiculous, uniformed stuff here. Johnson's numbers slightly improved by being moved to the left side. But they were still complete garbage. Team can't generate offense when he's on the ice.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
Banned

Regarding not changing their game, you could say Malkin as well.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 6:39 p.m.
Banned

FYI, when you are earning a substantial salary and playing a lesser role on the team, that is being sheltered. Do you honestly believe paying a player with no offensive upside 2.5 million per season to play minutes that wouldn't even break a sweat, good asset management? I would bet you money that Reaves has contributed to more losses than wins. Oleksiak wasn't brought here to be a fighter and when he went against a tough player (Wilson), he got dropped. Then traded!

You keep telling people to look at his stats and to watch games, etc. You have been provided with links and quality sources to verify what people say yet you totally disregard everyone else's opinions. Where are you getting your information and news from? The Onion???
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:17 p.m.
The problem is that everyone focuses on these one or two bad pinches that guys like Letang make. What happens with a guy like Johnson is that he doesn't take risks like that, he just hurts you in many smaller ways throughout the game. He literally can't do anything but shoot the puck into the guy in front of him in the offensive zone. Can't do anything to get the puck out of the defensive zone. Acts like the puck is a live grenade when he gets it and just dumps it to an area. That kind of **** leads to tons of low-danger turnovers and missed scoring chances. A any decent sample size it's going to hurt you a lot more than your top D man making a few errors.

The Penguins simply struggled to score for the majority of the islanders series. It's incredibly stupid to act like playing Jack Johnson on the second pairing for those games didn't contribute significantly to that.

So you just pretend that his on-ice results aren't abysmal?

Bad pinches happen. What people fail to grasp is that is a hell of a lot better than a player like Jack Johnson. A team with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Phil Kessel struggled to score all season whenever he was on the ice.

Everyone focuses on the one or two bad pinches because that’s what cost them the most. Johnson doesn’t take those chances and I’m perfectly fine with that. He plays with Schultz usually who I would rather take those chances. JJ is slow as a snail, I would love if he never pinched and just stuck to playing a better defensive game. I’d much prefer giving up low danger chances off turnovers than the high danger chances those bad situational awareness pinches cause. When you have players like Crosby, Guentzel, Kessel, Malkin, Letang,, Schultz, and even guys like Hornqvist and McCann, it shouldn’t really matter if JJ (who doesn’t score) takes up one of your top 4 spots. Dumo doesn’t score either, should we take him out of the top 4? You need one guy who doesn’t pinch on each defensive pairing.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:18 p.m.
Regarding not changing their game, you could say Malkin as well.

100% agree there too.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:37 p.m.
Chiggy
Everyone focuses on the one or two bad pinches because that’s what cost them the most. Johnson doesn’t take those chances and I’m perfectly fine with that. He plays with Schultz usually who I would rather take those chances. JJ is slow as a snail, I would love if he never pinched and just stuck to playing a better defensive game. I’d much prefer giving up low danger chances off turnovers than the high danger chances those bad situational awareness pinches cause. When you have players like Crosby, Guentzel, Kessel, Malkin, Letang,, Schultz, and even guys like Hornqvist and McCann, it shouldn’t really matter if JJ (who doesn’t score) takes up one of your top 4 spots. Dumo doesn’t score either, should we take him out of the top 4? You need one guy who doesn’t pinch on each defensive pairing.

But the actual goal scoring totals, chances and shots on net, etc. demonstrate that he completely kills the offense when he's on the ice. He doesn't have to pinch to prevent his team from getting. He does that by making bad passes, dumping the puck into corners instead of passing it, shooting the puck directly into the guy standing in front of him, etc. When he's been on the ice this year, the team scores less and the other team scores more. It's really that simply. And it it isn't the case with a guy like Letang or Dumoulin. Dumoulin, for example, doesn't provide much offense. But he isn't a liability in the offensive zone like Johnson is. That's the difference you don't seem to get here.

It honestly seems like you fundamentally don't understand that defensemen play a really big role in generating offenses, keeping possession, and moving the puck up ice.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:42 p.m.
But the actual goal scoring totals, chances and shots on net, etc. demonstrate that he completely kills the offense when he's on the ice. He doesn't have to pinch to prevent his team from getting. He does that by making bad passes, dumping the puck into corners instead of passing it, shooting the puck directly into the guy standing in front of him, etc. When he's been on the ice this year, the team scores less and the other team scores more. It's really that simply. And it it isn't the case with a guy like Letang or Dumoulin. Dumoulin, for example, doesn't provide much offense. But he isn't a liability in the offensive zone like Johnson is. That's the difference you don't seem to get here.

It honestly seems like you fundamentally don't understand that defensemen play a really big role in generating offenses, keeping possession, and moving the puck up ice.

I understand the game just fine. What you don’t seem to understand is that the number 1 priority of a defenseman is to defend. And offensive defenseman and two way defenseman does have a goal in generating offense in the offensive zone. Not so much for a defensive defenseman. They are supposed to stay back while their counterpart pinches and generates offense. Hence why guys like Dumoulin, JJ, Gudbranson, etc don’t really do too much in the offensive zone.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 11:49 p.m.
Chiggy
I understand the game just fine. What you don’t seem to understand is that the number 1 priority of a defenseman is to defend. And offensive defenseman and two way defenseman does have a goal in generating offense in the offensive zone. Not so much for a defensive defenseman. They are supposed to stay back while their counterpart pinches and generates offense. Hence why guys like Dumoulin, JJ, Gudbranson, etc don’t really do too much in the offensive zone.

Great, and someone like Jack Johnson doesn't defend well, help get the puck out of the defensive zone or help in the offensive zone. You think that just because he doesn't score, he's useful elsewhere. That's wrong.

The fact fact that you think Dumoulin is even comparable is what makes me think you have zero understanding of what a good "defensive defensemen" can do. Dumoulin can get the puck out of his zone. Can make passes in the neutral zone, and can help continue possession in the offensive zone by keeping the puck in, making good passes, and not getting his shots needlessly blocked. He doesn't rack up points. But he has a positive impact. Johnson does none of those things. Just because he doesn't score, doesn't mean he's doing anything else well either.

"They are supposed to stay back while their counterpart pinches and generates offense"

You really have zero idea what you are talking about. They do a whole lot more than that. You also seem to think that "pinching" is the only thing that D men do in the offensive zone to help the team offensively.

Dumoulin: Doesn't score but does a lot of things well.

Johnson: Doesn't score and does nothing else well.

Not the same thing.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 1:25 a.m.
Great, and someone like Jack Johnson doesn't defend well, help get the puck out of the defensive zone or help in the offensive zone. You think that just because he doesn't score, he's useful elsewhere. That's wrong.

The fact fact that you think Dumoulin is even comparable is what makes me think you have zero understanding of what a good "defensive defensemen" can do. Dumoulin can get the puck out of his zone. Can make passes in the neutral zone, and can help continue possession in the offensive zone by keeping the puck in, making good passes, and not getting his shots needlessly blocked. He doesn't rack up points. But he has a positive impact. Johnson does none of those things. Just because he doesn't score, doesn't mean he's doing anything else well either.

"They are supposed to stay back while their counterpart pinches and generates offense"

You really have zero idea what you are talking about. They do a whole lot more than that. You also seem to think that "pinching" is the only thing that D men do in the offensive zone to help the team offensively.

Dumoulin: Doesn't score but does a lot of things well.

Johnson: Doesn't score and does nothing else well.

Not the same thing.

Who said Dumo and JJ were comparable? The fact that you must lack reading comprehension and think every defenseman on the team should be offensively gifted shows you probably lack understanding of the game. You said JJ stinks because he doesn’t drive offensive possession. He is a defensive defenseman so it’s not really his job to. You are never going to find a defenseman to do any better if Letang and Schultz continue to lack situational awareness then their D partners are gonna look like crap. Even Dumo looked bad in the playoffs. That’s cause Letang has bad pinch after bad pinch.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Banned
FYI, when you are earning a substantial salary and playing a lesser role on the team, that is being sheltered. Do you honestly believe paying a player with no offensive upside 2.5 million per season to play minutes that wouldn't even break a sweat, good asset management? I would bet you money that Reaves has contributed to more losses than wins. Oleksiak wasn't brought here to be a fighter and when he went against a tough player (Wilson), he got dropped. Then traded!

You keep telling people to look at his stats and to watch games, etc. You have been provided with links and quality sources to verify what people say yet you totally disregard everyone else's opinions. Where are you getting your information and news from? The Onion???

Can we take a poll on that. How many people think Big Rig wasn't here to drop gloves? I mean really. Do you think before you type that?

Sheltered minutes? WHere? 61% of his starts were in the DZone, and he was "sheltered'

Just delete your account.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll