Forums/Armchair-GM

Marlies Report - Playoffs Round 2

Created by: brenfox31
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 22, 2019
Published: Apr. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Well, it's that time of year again Leafs fans... the Leafs are out and the Marlies are looking for a championship. As a result, we get to see Rosen, and maybe a few others play, so I guess I get to write one of these. After all, they did SWEEP the Rochester Americans, one of the better AHL teams this year!

First off, the roster looks a little different than the last report I made. Notable changes:

- Added: Mac Hollowell
One of the top D prospects the Leafs have right now, Hollowell was a guarantee to play with the Marlies when his spectacular season in the OHL ended. He finished top in defence scoring, and was the highest Leafs prospect in scoring (he actually tied Ryan Macgregor, a C).

- Added (But injured): Justin Brazeau
One of the top undrafted Free Agents in the OHL this season, Brazeau was expected to ink an NHL deal like fellow overager Tye Felhaber. However, the 6''6 power forward proved us wrong and decided to sign a two year contract with the Marlies (starting next year). He was third in OHL scoring and top in goals, but is not regarded as much of a prospect because he is 21 and has limited skating skill. Many believe he chose to sign with the Marlies to work with Barb Underhill (skating coach) so he can get his skating to a level that will better compliment his elite goal scoring and mind for the game. He is injured and will not be playing, but it is a very promising acquisition for the Marlies. He is older than most OHL players and has little potential according to many scouts, but he has undeniable stats and will likely be a force for the Marlies next year. NHL potential is limited.

- Added: Calle Rosen
Back from his late-season tryout with the Leafs, Rosen looks to impress in order to solidify his spot on the Leafs roster for next season. Obviously he has had a wonderful season with the AHL squad, and he is easily ready for a role with the Leafs, likely in the top 6. He will be a force to reckon with in these playoffs.

- Deleted: Michael Hutchinson (for now)
Hutch was called up to back up the Leafs during the playoffs and was not yet returned to the Marlies. I am not sure if this is a waivers issue or not, but I find it hard to believe that the Leafs do not want to send him down in order to maximise their use of him. His contract expires this year, but hopefully he will sign a two-way deal and return this summer. Eamon McAdam has been recalled to the Marlies.

-Deleted: Eemeli Rasanen
Sent to the World championships, he is not needed by the Marlies, as they already have Oleksy and Duszak scratched.

- Deleted: Zach o'Brien, Hudson Elynuik, Scott Pooley, Brady Ferguson, Sam Jardine
All were sent back to the ECHL Growlers in order to allow them to have a legitimate shot at a championship. With so many late season signings and additions, it is unlikely any will be called up even though a few are eligible. Elynuik and O'Brien have excelled with the Growlers thus far, leading them to a 4-2 series win over the Brampton Beast this week. Look for the Growlers to go pretty far.

- Deleted: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Sent down to the ECHL in order to maximise his playing time and give him some much needed playoff experience. SDA had a decent year with the Petes in the OHL and will be looking to continue off that success next season.

- Deleted: Alex Basso, Erik Brown, Trey Bradley
Overaged college players that have been released from their ATO, this is not a surprise to anyone. They may resign in the ECHL for next season.

- Deleted from ATOs: Ryan Macgregor and Zach Bouthillier
Both are Leafs prospects from the CHL who signed ATOs simply to expand their playing time. Neither played meaningful AHL time and Bouthillier was immediately sent to the ECHL. Their futures are as AHLers or low end NHLers, and will have a lot of time to develop.

News and thoughts:
-Jesper Lindgren is still going strong with HPK in the lIiga, and will not be joining the Marlies by the looks of things, simply because his season won't end in time. Bit of a bummer because we wanna see him, and he needs time on North American ice, but he may come over next year.
-Ian Scott is still playing with the Raiders in the WHL, and may not be joining the team this year. He is playing very well and the team is rolling along in the playoffs. I expect them to go very far, and may even win. If they do, Scott will not play this year. I was hoping he could, but he gets more starts in the WHL anyway.
- Colt Conrad looked great in his end-of-season tryout with the Marlies and became a mainstay on their roster until a few days ago, when he was suddenly left off. I believe he is hurt, as he has not been released and had earned a spot on the team. Sheldon Keefe likes him, and his two year contract with the Marlies is going to start next season. He has limited NHL potential, but looks much better in the AHL immediately than I thought he would.
-Kasimir Kaskisuo looks awesome right now. He is a big reason for their sweep of the Rochester Americans, and looks to continue his great play into the second round. If he does, the Marlies will likely go very far, as their defence in front of him looks like one of the best in the league right now.
- ADAM BROOKS IS A HERO! He scored all 3 goals in the last game against the Amerks, and looks like the 2nd line center many fans want him to be. His NHL potential isn't high, but he has impressed and will hopefully take an even bigger role next season. He has improved a lot over this year.
-Engvall is on the third line, and I don't even care. He is playing pretty well, and the depth of this team is shining at the moment. If Trevor Moore returns from the Leafs (which he may), I expect Engvall to have better linemates as the lines get balanced.

The Marlies have a few days off before they begin round two. Let's go Marlies!
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$920,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Duszack, Joseph
3$900,000
Greening, Colin
3$900,000
Conrad, Colt
3$900,000
MacMaster, Tanner
3$900,000
Hollowell, Mac
3$900,000
Rubins, Kristins
3$900,000
Molino, Griffin
1$750,000
Brazeau, Justin
1$900,000
Trades
TOR
    ECHL
    ANA
    1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
    Additional Details:
    -Pooley, O'Brien, Elynuik, Jardine, Ferguson
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$79,500,000$25,587,778$2,550,000$2,445,000$53,912,222
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$165,000$165K)
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $675,000$675,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Greening, Colin
    $900,000$900,000
    $650,000$650,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    MacMaster, Tanner
    $900,000$900,000
    $787,500$787,500
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Molino, Griffin
    $750,000$750,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    RD
    RFA - 4
    $675,000$675,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    Hollowell, Mac
    $900,000$900,000
    $650,000$650,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Rubins, Kristins
    $900,000$900,000
    Conrad, Colt
    $900,000$900,000
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Brazeau, Justin
    $900,000$900,000
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $742,500$742,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Duszack, Joseph
    $900,000$900,000
    $820,000$820,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $920,000$920,000
    RD
    RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 25, 2019 at 5:26 p.m.
    Is this The Athletic? Jk, this is awesome work though. I'll have to look out for your posts again in the future
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Apr. 25, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Nice little Read, Thanks for the break down.
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Apr. 25, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Goteamgo
    Is this The Athletic? Jk, this is awesome work though. I'll have to look out for your posts again in the future

thanks ! basically took the ideas found in BleacherReport, Pension Plan Puppets, and The Athletic. I've made about 5 of them this year just for fun.
    I might make one after the year, depends how things go lol.

I started making these because I love watching the Marlies and got kinda tired of how many Leafs things are here. Thought this would be different, and I figured it was a good idea for real leafs fans, who actually wanna know about the FRANCHISE and not just the Team.

I am also big into Sports Management and Business, analysing players and teams has become a hobby of mine. Looking to go into University for this, we'll see smile

If you have any questions about any of the marlies or stuff, feel free to ask!
    Goteamgo liked this.
    Apr. 25, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Jamiepo
    Nice little Read, Thanks for the break down.

Thanks!
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    I haven’t had a chance to watch Duszak in action. Of the three Rhd (Duszak, Hollowell and Lilly) which do you think would be most likely to be pushed up next season. I was thinking Duszak due to age and importance to the organization. (I don’t think his development is as important as hollowell and Lilly).

Do you have any opinions on that?
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 5:39 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    I haven’t had a chance to watch Duszak in action. Of the three Rhd (Duszak, Hollowell and Lilly) which do you think would be most likely to be pushed up next season. I was thinking Duszak due to age and importance to the organization. (I don’t think his development is as important as hollowell and Lilly).

Do you have any opinions on that?

I would agree with the fact that Duszak’s development is not as important to The Leafs organization, but the problem is his exposure to the coaches. He has barely played with the Marlies because They are so deep on d and have had a lot of help with Rosen coming back and Hollowell coming in.

I think he is the most likely to get a spot, but that Borgman and Rosen are going to be the ones who get a spot and not one of these guys unless the need for a RHD is that large. If it is; Duszak probably gets the first chance, but all 3 could be options. Hollowell needs a year of AHL at least, and Lilly is too valuable to rush.

I haven’t seen that much of Duszak sadly, so he probably won’t start with the Leafs, though he could get a call up.
    GenXHockey liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Quoting: brenfox31
    I would agree with the fact that Duszak’s development is not as important to The Leafs organization, but the problem is his exposure to the coaches. He has barely played with the Marlies because They are so deep on d and have had a lot of help with Rosen coming back and Hollowell coming in.

I think he is the most likely to get a spot, but that Borgman and Rosen are going to be the ones who get a spot and not one of these guys unless the need for a RHD is that large. If it is; Duszak probably gets the first chance, but all 3 could be options. Hollowell needs a year of AHL at least, and Lilly is too valuable to rush.

I haven’t seen that much of Duszak sadly, so he probably won’t start with the Leafs, though he could get a call up.

I am always puzzled by the leafs future on the blueline. I often wonder if dubas’ plans are just to go with Reilly, muzzin and Dermott down the left and fill in the right side with prospects...
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 5:47 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 26, 2019 at 5:53 p.m.

I actually hope they will start transiting Duszak and Hollowel into wingers, cause size as their handicap as Ds unless they will be paired with 6'4 guys that we dont have atm ( BOS & Krug ), also with that kind of transition you get two-way forwards and quality PK-lers, with speed and currently hot on scoring as they are atm
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 5:49 p.m.
    I am always puzzled by the leafs future on the blueline. I often wonder if dubas’ plans are just to go with Reilly, muzzin and Dermott down the left and fill in the right side with prospects...

With Sandin knocking on doors i would go with Dermott swaped to RHD permanentlly, hes still in development so its easier for him and cause not #1-2 he wouldnt loss as much on performance with it...
    brenfox31 and Goteamgo liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Laudan
    With Sandin knocking on doors i would go with Dermott swaped to RHD permanentlly, hes still in development so its easier for him and cause not #1-2 he wouldnt loss as much on performance with it...

Completely agree that he is a capable RD. I would run something like Reilly - Hainsey and Muzzin- Dermott, obviously depends on who signs. I also think that Sandin and even Rosen make it clear that Dermott needs to play the right to make room on the left side. We have a lot of RHD prospects tho, with Duszak, Hollowell, Lilly, and some lesser guys.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Laudan
    I actually hope they will start transiting Duszak and Hollowel into wingers, cause size as their handicap as Ds unless they will be paired with 6'4 guys that we dont have atm ( BOS & Krug ), also with that kind of transition you get two-way forwards and quality PK-lers, with speed and currently hot on scoring as they are atm

Not a horrible idea and I like your thought process, but with how much depth we have up front and the problems we have on D, I think the more D prospects, even if OFD, the better. Gives us a chance to get lucky with as many guys as possible, not every prospect develops after all.
    Goteamgo liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2019 at 8:08 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 26, 2019 at 8:43 p.m.
    Completely agree that he is a capable RD. I would run something like Reilly - Hainsey and Muzzin- Dermott, obviously depends on who signs. I also think that Sandin and even Rosen make it clear that Dermott needs to play the right to make room on the left side. We have a lot of RHD prospects tho, with Duszak, Hollowell, Lilly, and some lesser guys.

More likely :

Rielly - Dermott
    Muzzin - Zaitsev

rotating 3rd pair

LDs : Borgman, Rosen in 2019/2020.......Sandin, Gordeev in 2020/2021
    RDs : Ozhiganov, Holl in 2019/2020.......Liljegren, Rasanen in 2020/2021

I still hope TML can pull out something like this in the offseason : https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1079047

so at the end of the day....doesnt really look that bad as gloaters claim here, tho i think shutdown RHD is still a big handicap that TML needs to adress

Not a horrible idea and I like your thought process, but with how much depth we have up front and the problems we have on D, I think the more D prospects, even if OFD, the better. Gives us a chance to get lucky with as many guys as possible, not every prospect develops after all.

TML is lacking LWs....so imagine ( checker is Hyman type of player ) :

Checker - Tavares - Marner............................................Hyman
    Johnsson - Matthews - Checker.....................................
    Checker - Nylander - Kapanen.......................................Moore
    Checker - Center - Duszak / Hollowell / Bracco

So you get a worker, top player and a small speedster in each line. Hopefully Engvall and Marchment can develop into those missing checkers while SDA, Brooks and Stotts going to compete for 4C

First three lines, i mean, they look perfect dont they. And if you keep in mind those top 6 are 23y average and hopefully Dubarelli will be able to lock pending 3 RFAs for next 5 years.........

Ofc there are many more but as you said....not everyone that perform in AHL ( or other minors ) actually delivers when joining big bois.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll