Forums/Armchair-GM

With Marleau without others

Created by: palhal
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 29, 2019
Published: Apr. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
That's how I solve the Leafs cap woes this season. Trade just one player, Nylander with no cap in return. Certainly would like to upgrade one spot one defence. Maybe Hyman's LTIR till January would allow a short term cheap solution.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,750,000
3$4,000,000
6$10,000,000
Trades
TOR
    Two seconders rounders in 2019 Devils have three this year
    NJD
    1. Nylander, William
    Additional Details:
    Leafs need the cap space. Devils certainly get value potential. Right now is 7m is high but his 4.9m annual cash pay out...modest
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,000,000$77,559,000$0$82,500$5,441,000
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 8:42 a.m.
    Bcarlo25
    4.9 annual cash payout for Nylander? Well that’s not even close to true.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 9:35 a.m.
    Banned
    I will never understand why people see trading Nylander for pennies on the dollar only to massively overpay Kapanen and Johnsson as a good idea. Nylander is far better than either of the other two and they have literally done nothing to deserve such big contracts. If that is there demand trade them. See if Minnesota would consider some kind of Kapanen for Greenway trade. Overpaying depth players is a recipe for disaster. The middle class in the NHL is on its way out, soon the play drivers will demand a much higher salary than those who benefit playing with them. Kapanen at times looked really good with Matthews but on his own, has difficulty doing much other than being a responsible player, sure that has value but nothing close to these kinds of numbers.
    kaljakori liked this.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: LoganOllivier
    I will never understand why people see trading Nylander for pennies on the dollar only to massively overpay Kapanen and Johnsson as a good idea. Nylander is far better than either of the other two and they have literally done nothing to deserve such big contracts. If that is there demand trade them. See if Minnesota would consider some kind of Kapanen for Greenway trade. Overpaying depth players is a recipe for disaster. The middle class in the NHL is on its way out, soon the play drivers will demand a much higher salary than those who benefit playing with them. Kapanen at times looked really good with Matthews but on his own, has difficulty doing much other than being a responsible player, sure that has value but nothing close to these kinds of numbers.

Massively overpay Kapanen? Gee, he had 20 goals, 44 points. The best Nylander did was two seasons at 20 goals 61 points. So who is overpaid Kapanen at 4m or Nylander at 7m?
    I know it's subjective, but to think Nylander is "far better", I think is false. At value per dollar, I would take Kapanen and Johnson on the team at 7.8 combined rather than Nylander at 7m.
    And talk about struggling without Matthews....what did Nylander do this season. 7 goals, 20 assists, 27 points in 54 games.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: palhal
    Massively overpay Kapanen? Gee, he had 20 goals, 44 points. The best Nylander did was two seasons at 20 goals 61 points. So who is overpaid Kapanen at 4m or Nylander at 7m?
    I know it's subjective, but to think Nylander is "far better", I think is false. At value per dollar, I would take Kapanen and Johnson on the team at 7.8 combined rather than Nylander at 7m.
    And talk about struggling without Matthews....what did Nylander do this season. 7 goals, 20 assists, 27 points in 54 games.

Nylander missed training camp, and never really was given a chance to play with Matthews. Despite a 10 game stretch where he did and also had 9 points in those games before Babcock moved him down in hopes of energizing both Kadri and Kapanen who hadn't scored in a while. Then in the playoffs, playing with Matthews, Kapanen had 1 good game. Nylander played most of the series with two players who just can't score anymore and still ended up with more points than Kapanen. Nylander is better, he had 2 60 point seasons while Kapanen couldn't crack the lineup.

I get that you really don't like Nylander but there is utterly no reasonable arguement to suggest this last season was anything other than a bad luck outlier fueled by missing training camp and a 3rd of the season. I think Kapanen gets way too much love for what he's accomplished. He had 20 goals and 44 points in his first full season, I think his best season of his career will be a 30+ goal 60 point season where I think Nylander's best season will be upwards of 90 points and 30+ goals. So which is a better contract? A point a game player at just under 7 or a 40-60 point winger making 5? I'd take the point a game guy 100% of the time, especially when you should be able to find a cheaper 40 point guy from the players that are being developed in the system.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 10:43 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: LoganOllivier
    Nylander missed training camp, and never really was given a chance to play with Matthews. Despite a 10 game stretch where he did and also had 9 points in those games before Babcock moved him down in hopes of energizing both Kadri and Kapanen who hadn't scored in a while. Then in the playoffs, playing with Matthews, Kapanen had 1 good game. Nylander played most of the series with two players who just can't score anymore and still ended up with more points than Kapanen. Nylander is better, he had 2 60 point seasons while Kapanen couldn't crack the lineup.

I get that you really don't like Nylander but there is utterly no reasonable arguement to suggest this last season was anything other than a bad luck outlier fueled by missing training camp and a 3rd of the season. I think Kapanen gets way too much love for what he's accomplished. He had 20 goals and 44 points in his first full season, I think his best season of his career will be a 30+ goal 60 point season where I think Nylander's best season will be upwards of 90 points and 30+ goals. So which is a better contract? A point a game player at just under 7 or a 40-60 point winger making 5? I'd take the point a game guy 100% of the time, especially when you should be able to find a cheaper 40 point guy from the players that are being developed in the system.

Sorry if you think because I disagree with you that "I don't like Nylander". I just think there are better value for Leafs than Nylander. And and Leafs have to shed cap this season. Yes, a point a game guy making 7m would e a bargain. But it isn't Nylander....he's a .75 game a guy, until proven otherwise. And I think he's going to have prove it for another team.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: palhal
    Sorry if you think because I disagree with you that "I don't like Nylander". I just think there are better value for Leafs than Nylander. And and Leafs have to shed cap this season. Yes, a point a game guy making 7m would e a bargain. But it isn't Nylander....he's a .75 game a guy, until proven otherwise. And I think he's going to have prove it for another team.

That is about as short sighted as a guy can get right there. He's 22 turning 23 and statistically speaking players don't hit their prime till around 24, so we still have another full season before Nylander should be hitting his prime, meaning you want to trade him as a .75 point guy before he hits his true value. That is extremely poor management of assets. Space needs to be cleared yes, but the problem is next season, then Marleau is off the books. Is it smart to move a guy like Nylander would could easily be a point a game player as soon as next season just to make 1 year of marleau easier to manage? We could go with a young and unproven blueline and make space elsewhere for just next season. And really, its entirely possible to make a mid season adjustment if its proven that younger defenceman can't at all manage to play in the NHL.

Jumping the gun because we think we have to be the best team each season in the regular season is just reactionary planning. To me, it makes way more sense to plan this in a long term sense. Moves now should also be looked at from 5 years from now. If we are always thinking about now, mistakes will be made. Planning for the long term and being flexible is the way to move forward. Our core is almost all 25 and under, Tavares and Andersen being the only pieces over 25 and they are both still under 30. We don't have to make huge moves this year, we can be patient and find out exactly what we have and what we need.
    jcash08 liked this.
    Apr. 29, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Funny. I'm here cause of a screen shot on twitter. This is... Wow.

Are we certain you're still a leafs fans or have you fully hopped on the devil's bandwagon?
    jcash08 liked this.
    May 16, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
    Wow ... from someone who just told me I hate the leafs .... brilliant.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll