Forums/Armchair-GM

Trying to keep the team mostly intact

Created by: bags92
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 30, 2019
Published: Apr. 30, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As much as I would love the Caps to bring Connolly back, I have a feeling someone is going to throw money at him that the Caps won't be able to match.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,750,000
1$3,000,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
3$925,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$700,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
WSH
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (FLA)
  2. 2019 5th round pick (OTT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$72,084,295$1,150,000$82,500$10,915,705
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 5
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 3
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 30, 2019 at 8:52 a.m.
RETIRED
Why keep them intact? You couldnt win round 1 with the same group, why run the same roster and expect different results?
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: McRanteskog
Why keep them intact? You couldnt win round 1 with the same group, why run the same roster and expect different results?

my thought exactly.
Every year those players get older and slower. Next year,
Oshie is 33
Ov is 34
Backstrom is 32

this team needs to start worrying about adding some youth to it in the forward group that is actually capable of helping the team win. As it stands right now, there isn't a lot there. You got Vrana, Kuzy and wilson and that's it.

signing a 31 year old hags isn't the answer, and he wouldn't even sign of that anyway.
McRanteskog liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:34 a.m.

Quoting: pharrow
my thought exactly.
Oshie is 33
Ov is 34
Backstrom is 32

this team needs to start worrying about adding some youth to it in the forward group that is actually capable of helping the team win. As it stands right now, there isn't a lot there. You got Vrana, Kuzy and wilson and that's it.

signing a 31 year old hags isn't the answer, and he wouldn't even sign of that anyway.

It's also the same team that won the cup in 2018. The team wasn't the same after Kempny went down against Tampa in the regular season. Without him, the pairings were all out of wack. He might not be a big name, but his effect on the team defensive metrics is insane.

I do agree that the team needs more youth injected into the roster. I think that's why you keep Connolly, who's 26. I think I'd rather see Niskanen traded for a decent, young NHL forward, and see what you can get for Burakovsky in the trade market. I think Holtby could net a really nice return on that front too.
bags92 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: staytru20
It's also the same team that won the cup in 2018. The team wasn't the same after Kempny went down against Tampa in the regular season. Without him, the pairings were all out of wack. He might not be a big name, but his effect on the team defensive metrics is insane.

So Kempny was the reason why the Caps didnt win? You do realize CAR also had to play without both Svechnikov and Ferland in games 4-7 right? Its a wash if you want to use the injury excuse.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.

my thought exactly.
Oshie is 33
Ov is 34
Backstrom is 32

You do both realize Kempny didn't play one game in the playoffs right? Oshie also missed the last 3 games of the series. And while Oshie being out had an impact, it was incredibly apparent that this team was a shell of themselves without Kempny. So no, this is not the same roster that lost in 7 games to Carolina.

And the three players you listed were 3 of the Caps most productive players. Yes, they're all getting older but you're not going to get rid of productive players who are all excellent locker room guys as well. I understand wanting to move Oshie's contract, but suggesting this team should get rid of Ovechkin and Backstrom is laughable.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: bags92
You do both realize Kempny didn't play one game in the playoffs right? Oshie also missed the last 3 games of the series. And while Oshie being out had an impact, it was incredibly apparent that this team was a shell of themselves without Kempny. So no, this is not the same roster that lost in 7 games to Carolina.

And the three players you listed were 3 of the Caps most productive players. Yes, they're all getting older but you're not going to get rid of productive players who are all excellent locker room guys as well. I understand wanting to move Oshie's contract, but suggesting this team should get rid of Ovechkin and Backstrom is laughable.

You do realize CAR played with no Svechnikov and Ferland games 4-7?
Both teams played with injuires.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
Banned
So Kempny was the reason why the Caps didnt win? You do realize CAR also had to play without both Svechnikov and Ferland in games 4-7 right? Its a wash if you want to use the injury excuse.

Yeah. “You do realize” that Carlson had to play LD for the majority of the playoffs or play with seig who is a rookie? Kempny being out was huge bc he’s our best defensive dman. Carolina won in 7 games kempny wins is one of those 1 goal games.

Every player you named was hurt in the playoffs seems stupid to bring that up haha
bags92 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.
You do realize CAR played with no Svechnikov and Ferland games 4-7?
Both teams played with injuires.

I'm not sure how much of that series you actually watched, but Ferland was a complete non-factor in the games he played. You could make the argument that the Canes have been better of without him. The Caps blue line did a complete 180 without Kempny in the lineup. And while Svechnikov being out certainly hurt Carolina, it hurt the Caps just as much having Oshie out of the lineup. So yes, the Caps injuries did have a bigger impact on their game. The Canes are still rolling right now without Ferland and Svechnikov. It's much easier to replace forwards than it is to replace defensemen. While DSP is no where near the player Oshie is, he provided a spark to the lineup and it wasn't a glaring hole that Oshie was gone. With Kempny gone the Caps didn't even look like the same team.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: capsin9
Yeah. “You do realize” that Carlson had to play LD for the majority of the playoffs or play with seig who is a rookie? Kempny being out was huge bc he’s our best defensive dman. Carolina won in 7 games kempny wins is one of those 1 goal games.

Every player you named was hurt in the playoffs seems stupid to bring that up haha

Seems stupid to argue missing Kempny for 7 playoff games gave CAR an advantage but CAR missing Svechnikov and Ferland for 3 games each (6 total) doesnt nullify all/some of that advantage gained from WSH missing Kempny.

Kempny was injured 3 weeks before Game 1 meaning they had 3 weeks to adjust.
Svechnikov + Ferland were injured Game 3 and CAR had 48 hours to adjust.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
Quoting: staytru20

I do agree that the team needs more youth injected into the roster. I think that's why you keep Connolly, who's 26. I think I'd rather see Niskanen traded for a decent, young NHL forward, and see what you can get for Burakovsky in the trade market. I think Holtby could net a really nice return on that front too.

I'd really love to keep Connolly, I just see some team throwing crazy money and term at him that the Caps won't be able to match. I do hope I'm wrong about that though. I'm not opposed to getting a forward for Niskanen either if it's the right fit, really was just trying to clear some cap space with that move. Wouldn't mind a Burkie trade for the righ return either. But for me I don't think we can trade Holtby. We don't have anyone that's ready to take over yet and this team could win a cup next year. I think as long as the Caps are legit contenders, they've got to keep Holtby.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
Banned

dude learn how to read.
No one suggested getting rid of them.

Losing one player isn't an excuse. Every team has injuries. Carolina played without several of their better players and they still won.
Stop making excuses. They got beat by a better team and simply going with the same old same old isn't helping teams when the rest of the league is pumping in good young players into their rosters year after year.

If you want to compete for a cup you better start finidng some better younger players for the rest of the roster.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:10 a.m.
RETIRED
I'm not sure how much of that series you actually watched, but Ferland was a complete non-factor in the games he played. You could make the argument that the Canes have been better of without him. The Caps blue line did a complete 180 without Kempny in the lineup. And while Svechnikov being out certainly hurt Carolina, it hurt the Caps just as much having Oshie out of the lineup. So yes, the Caps injuries did have a bigger impact on their game. The Canes are still rolling right now without Ferland and Svechnikov. It's much easier to replace forwards than it is to replace defensemen. While DSP is no where near the player Oshie is, he provided a spark to the lineup and it wasn't a glaring hole that Oshie was gone. With Kempny gone the Caps didn't even look like the same team.

Amongst WSH Defencemen:
Kempny was 4th in TOI, 4th in shifts/game, tied 3rd in points, had 0 PP points, 1st in most PIM taken.

The hole he left when he got injured wasnt as big as you are making it, and if it was, well WSH is to blame for having lack of depth D to fill his spot.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
Banned
Seems stupid to argue missing Kempny for 7 playoff games gave CAR an advantage but CAR missing Svechnikov and Ferland for 3 games each (6 total) doesnt nullify all/some of that advantage gained from WSH missing Kempny.

Kempny was injured 3 weeks before Game 1 meaning they had 3 weeks to adjust.
Svechnikov + Ferland were injured Game 3 and CAR had 48 hours to adjust.

Kempny missing would have a similar impact as Carolina missing pesce. So to circle back to your original point. Yes missing kempny is a major reason why the caps lost
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.

I didn't say that was an excuse, Carolina played better in 5 of the 7 games in the series. The better team in the series won the series. I was just saying that Kempny has a huge impact on the back-end, and there's no real reason to really change up the makeup of the team after losing in the first round to a good, up-and-coming team a year after winning the Cup. Yes, there should be an injection of youth, but I don't agree that you need to change up the team excessively.
McRanteskog and bags92 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
RETIRED
Kempny missing would have a similar impact as Carolina missing pesce. So to circle back to your original point. Yes missing kempny is a major reason why the caps lost

Its a shame that WSH wins the cup last year but without Kempny this year, cant beat a wildcard team (one that didnt make the playoffs last year) in round 1.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
dude learn how to read.
No one suggested getting rid of them.

Losing one player isn't an excuse. Every team has injuries. Carolina played without several of their better players and they still won.
Stop making excuses. They got beat by a better team and simply going with the same old same old isn't helping teams when the rest of the league is pumping in good young players into their rosters year after year.

If you want to compete for a cup you better start finidng some better younger players for the rest of the roster.

And how would you suggest getting younger next year without getting rid of these players? Would love to hear your plan on how to make this happen.

Also if you actually take a second to look at this roster, both Barber and Johansen are young new additions that I feel could make an impact in smaller roles next year, along with Siegenthaler who showed some promise in the short time he was with Washington this year. Both Niskanen and Orpik are off this roster due to their inability to skate. So this team is adding youth, while still keeping some core pieces they won the cup with.

And I never made an excuse for the Caps losing to the Canes. I simply said that they won a cup with Kempny and Oshie, who they didn't have in the playoffs. Which is just a fact. Damn right Carolina was the better team in that series and they deserved to win. They were able to overcome their injuries better than the Caps were and should be commended for it. However, I believe if you put Kempny and Oshie back in the lineup for the Caps, and Ferland and Svechnikov in for Carolina, I believe the Caps win that series.

As well not sure if you remember, but the Caps won the cup with the vast majority of the this roster...last year. I think a team that just won the cup, will have a solid shot competing for it if they can stay healthy, and the added youth can step up and perform.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:34 a.m.
Amongst WSH Defencemen:
Kempny was 4th in TOI, 4th in shifts/game, tied 3rd in points, had 0 PP points, 1st in most PIM taken.

The hole he left when he got injured wasnt as big as you are making it, and if it was, well WSH is to blame for having lack of depth D to fill his spot.

You clearly don't watch the Caps play very often if you couldn't see this difference. But you're right about one thing, the Caps did lack depth on defense to fill his spot. Orpik and Niskanen have been removed on this roster to add some younger, faster defenseman with the hope being a full NHL season would have them more prepared for the playoffs. This roster makes an effort to fix that issue.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Banned
Its a shame that WSH wins the cup last year but without Kempny this year, cant beat a wildcard team (one that didnt make the playoffs last year) in round 1.

Carolina has the most wins since January in the nhl. Seems like a dumb take but I think your having trouble understanding basic points. Haha
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
RETIRED
Carolina has the most wins since January in the nhl. Seems like a dumb take but I think your having trouble understanding basic points. Haha

Seems like a dumber take that missing Kempny is the main reason WSH lost round 1.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Banned
Seems like a dumber take that missing Kempny is the main reason WSH lost round 1.

Explain how losing your best defensive player, who helps Carlson play his best hockey, isnt a major factor.

Reasons caps lost
1) kempny left us defensively unbalanced
2) Kuzy player terrible
3) Holtby was outplayed by a worse goalie.
4) Carolina is actually a good hockey team
5) out coached
McRanteskog liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
Explain how losing your best defensive player, who helps Carlson play his best hockey, isnt a major factor.

Reasons caps lost
2) Kuzy player terrible
5) out coached

Only one I disagree about is point 3. I thought Holtby played very well for the majority of the series, unfortunately he let up a couple bad goals in game 7 that are fresh in everyone's memory. But not having Kempny was massive, Kuznetsov's underwhelming performance certainly didn't do the Caps any favors, and it was very apparent that Reirden was a rookie coach during this series.
McRanteskog liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
RETIRED

Reasons caps lost
2) Kuzy player terrible
5) out coached

No mention of Oshie injury huh.. yiikkess
Apr. 30, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Banned
No mention of Oshie injury huh.. yiikkess

Honestly.... I don’t want to use that as an excuse. Oshie is very good but imo using Hagelin on the 2nd line balanced it and the oshie loss wasn’t nearly as impactful. Kempny was a major loss. Oshie wasn’t as big bc of how deep the caps were offensively
Apr. 30, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Banned
And how would you suggest getting younger next year without getting rid of these players? Would love to hear your plan on how to make this happen.

Also if you actually take a second to look at this roster, both Barber and Johansen are young new additions that I feel could make an impact in smaller roles next year, along with Siegenthaler who showed some promise in the short time he was with Washington this year. Both Niskanen and Orpik are off this roster due to their inability to skate. So this team is adding youth, while still keeping some core pieces they won the cup with.

And I never made an excuse for the Caps losing to the Canes. I simply said that they won a cup with Kempny and Oshie, who they didn't have in the playoffs. Which is just a fact. Damn right Carolina was the better team in that series and they deserved to win. They were able to overcome their injuries better than the Caps were and should be commended for it. However, I believe if you put Kempny and Oshie back in the lineup for the Caps, and Ferland and Svechnikov in for Carolina, I believe the Caps win that series.

As well not sure if you remember, but the Caps won the cup with the vast majority of the this roster...last year. I think a team that just won the cup, will have a solid shot competing for it if they can stay healthy, and the added youth can step up and perform.

It starts by not resigning a 31 year old Hagelin that's for sure.

You can pretty much look at that bottom 6 and start replacing because that's the only way you are going to win a cup. There isn't enough talent there to win currently.
Dowd is gonna be 29 bye
Ellar is gonna be 30 bye.

I'm sure you get the idea.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:38 p.m.
It starts by not resigning a 31 year old Hagelin that's for sure.

You can pretty much look at that bottom 6 and start replacing because that's the only way you are going to win a cup. There isn't enough talent there to win currently.
Dowd is gonna be 29 bye
Ellar is gonna be 30 bye.

I'm sure you get the idea.

It's pretty clear you're the one who doesn't get the idea. Just plugging in younger players (You also haven't mentioned a single player to add, you're just suggesting getting rid of guys) doesn't make a team better. Eller was a very important part of this teams cup run last year and is still playing very solid 3rd line minutes. Hagelin fixed this teams PK pretty much on his own, and Dowd while not as good as Beagle was a solid replacement as a 4th line center and younger too, but apparently 29 is ancient now. As well, if you paid any attention to the Caps, which you don't, you'd know they just re-signed Dowd before the playoffs to a two year extension. He's not going anywhere.

If Hagelin ends up commanding too much, I get not re-signing him. But getting rid of Eller and Dowd isn't going to solve any problems. I'm not sure if you're under the impression that guys legs just give out on them when they turn 30, but that's not how it works. I'm all for injecting a little youth into the lineup, but just getting rid of productive players because they're hitting 30 isn't solving any problems.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll