Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 30, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
Trade confirmed: Carolina Hurricanes - New York Rangers
Trade Details
Carolina Hurricanes Acquire:
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
2019 2nd round pick (NYR - #37 - Mads Søgaard)
2020 2nd round pick (NYR - #41 - Noel Gunler) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: If Adam Fox plays in 30 games in the 2019-20 season, the 2020 3rd round pick will upgrade to a 2020 2nd round pick.

Result: Adam Fox played in 30 games. The selection upgrades to a 2020 2nd round pick
Sum: $0$0$0
Change: $0
New York Rangers Acquire:
Logo of the New York Rangers
Adam Fox · $0$0$0 (Signing Rights)
Sum: $0$0$0
Apr. 30, 2019 at 1:53 p.m.
Wow, that's a lot to give up for Fox. They must feel that he's a sure thing.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 1:54 p.m.
2nd + 3rd for a guy that said he wasn't going to sign publicly. Good Job Carolina
toque, ConnorMcHellebucyk, DDoverChucky and 9 others liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 1:57 p.m.
Ducks Fly Together
What confuses me is why the Rangers would give up anything, when Fox could have been had for free on July 1.

Anyone have any insights?
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
Wow, great return for Carolina for a situation they had almost zero leverage over.

I wonder if Fox told the NYR he was open to signing elsewhere so they rushed to get his rights?
MoreOfAnIslesGuy and GMTD liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:08 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Plot twist Adam uses the free agency loophole and signs in Carolina.
Crazy66, Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien, Predcam and 8 others liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Crazy
Rnagers Dont Sign Him:
Terrible deal for the rangers they give up2 decent picks for a player that wont play for them
Rangers DO Sign Him:
Great Deal you give up 2 decent picks for a STUD
GMTD and THISACCOUNTISGONE liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
Buljujarvi
You can trade now? I thought you could only trade starting at the draft.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk

You can trade whenever you want. Even after the deadline. It's just that traded players cannot play for your team after the deadline
ricochetii, HabsForEver, CFMan and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
This trade completely depends on if Fox signs with the rangers. It's impossible to know which team won yet
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: Oggsford_Blues
What confuses me is why the Rangers would give up anything, when Fox could have been had for free on July 1.

Free agency for college players is August 15
Oggsford_Blues and Tntpod liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk

You can trade at any time, the trade deadline is for playoff eligibility
ConnorMcHellebucyk, ricochetii, GMTD and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Edited Apr. 30, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.

a) August 15th is the deadline to sign NCAA free agents.

b) Fox's rights don't technically expire until next year.

c) Given that he seems to already have proven that he's hit his ceiling at the NCAA level (120 P in 97 career games), he's probably eager to go ahead and start his pro career, but he said he would only sign with the Rangers. the Rangers obviously would want somebody like Fox, and they could have waited a year to sign him, but they'd run the (probably small) risk of some other team snatching him up, and that would also push any real evaluation of him back a year. if they want him in Hartford next year to evaluate and see whether or not he's as good as his NCAA numbers suggest, they need his rights in order to sign him. that would have given the Hurricanes some leverage in trade negotiations.
jonnymc26, Barathrum_Obama, Bflo_Soldier and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 4:28 p.m.

Yeah, I don't get it. He's a NY native and he wants to be a Ranger from everything I've read and heard. Why trade for him? Does he still have another year of college eligibility? If so, that's the only reason I see why the NYR would make this move now. They must want him in their lineup next season. I'd appreciate some clarification from someone. Thx.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Brian2016
Yeah, I don't get it. He's a NY native and he wants to be a Ranger from everything I've read and heard. Why trade for him? Does he still have another year of college eligibility? If so, that's the only reason I see why the NYR would make this move now. They must want him in their lineup next season. I'd appreciate some clarification from someone. Thx.

Speculation: A player dictating where he plays is a bad precedent to set for any team. If he gets what he wants, it's not going to be cheap. Carolina could have chosen to sit on him, and likely would have, but NY being willing to over-compensate them allows them to save face in addition to recovering the pick they used to draft him.
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Speculation: A player dictating where he plays is a bad precedent to set for any team. If he gets what he wants, it's not going to be cheap. Carolina could have chosen to sit on him, and likely would have, but NY being willing to over-compensate them allows them to save face in addition to recovering the pick they used to draft him.

I totally get it from the CAR perspective, but I'm still a little hazy on the NYR side of things.
Apr. 30, 2019 at 10:01 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I totally get it from the CAR perspective, but I'm still a little hazy on the NYR side of things.

I do believe he has the option of returning for 1 year. Whether he does or not, he's a 2nd round pick, so spending a 2nd on him isn't a loss. It may be a wiser way to spend that pick, since they've had more time to scout him than you get with most players.
They already have an indication he'll sign and he's from NY, so the risk of losing him for nothing is minimal.
Getting him early can help avoid temptation and they can get him started on "their" development program, give him access to their resources and trainers and secure his development for this year.
A 3rd doesn't have a high rate of return either. It sounds like a lot extra, but it's largely an uncertain pick. If it becomes the conditional 2nd, you've already won. If he's playing in the NHL next season, it's because they've judged him to be worth two 2nds.
May 1, 2019 at 1:33 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
I do believe he has the option of returning for 1 year. Whether he does or not, he's a 2nd round pick, so spending a 2nd on him isn't a loss. It may be a wiser way to spend that pick, since they've had more time to scout him than you get with most players.
They already have an indication he'll sign and he's from NY, so the risk of losing him for nothing is minimal.
Getting him early can help avoid temptation and they can get him started on "their" development program, give him access to their resources and trainers and secure his development for this year.
A 3rd doesn't have a high rate of return either. It sounds like a lot extra, but it's largely an uncertain pick. If it becomes the conditional 2nd, you've already won. If he's playing in the NHL next season, it's because they've judged him to be worth two 2nds.

I'd be willing to bet that he makes the Rangers opening night roster next season. That's the only way this trade makes sense to me. CAR is much deeper on defense than the NYR and Fox wouldn't make the Canes top six right away. Now that I think about it, this could be a really clever trade by the Rangers. And maybe they can finally give Shattenkirk or Brendan Smith the buyouts they've earned.
ricochetii liked this.
May 1, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
Isles For Life

I feel like this will be like the Vesey situation. Buffalo takes a risk on trading for Vesey, and gets spurned. NYR is looking for young talent and if he does sign this looks like a fair deal for both sides; good picks without any leverage for Carolina and a solid top 6 forward for NYR. If he doesn't sign (as is what happened with Vesey), the NYR GM looks like a fool for taking such a risk, as the Buffalo GM did. NYR just wanted extra leverage and were willing to give up some picks for it.
May 1, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: MoreOfAnIslesGuy
I feel like this will be like the Vesey situation. Buffalo takes a risk on trading for Vesey, and gets spurned. NYR is looking for young talent and if he does sign this looks like a fair deal for both sides; good picks without any leverage for Carolina and a solid top 6 forward for NYR. If he doesn't sign (as is what happened with Vesey), the NYR GM looks like a fool for taking such a risk, as the Buffalo GM did. NYR just wanted extra leverage and were willing to give up some picks for it.
not a 100% accurate analogy. The Rangers aren't really "taking a risk" on trading for him because, as Pierre LeBrun implies in this tweet, Fox specifically wanted to play with the Rangers:

And the Rangers are already in the midst of finalizing an ELC:

MoreOfAnIslesGuy liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
I wish there was a change vote option...
May 3, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Yes, CAR did get something for a guy who they would not sign. But in a vacuum, that's a low price for a prospect as exciting as Fox. I think it's a fair deal.
May 3, 2019 at 11:13 p.m.
Pop Pop
Good for Carolina for getting value and people may think NY didn't née to make the move to get the player it always comes down to how he plays. If he turns into a top pair guy it's a small price to pay to insure you get him
May 7, 2019 at 1:21 p.m.
Get what you can for guy who won't sign.
May 8, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.

Wait a year and sign him as a FA or trade some picks, sign him and have him helping your team next year. How long will it take for 2nd/3rd to make an impact in the NHL, if they make it at all?
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit