Created by: ThatGuy
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2019
Published: May 2, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
PRE DRAFT THOUGHTS

1) Trade Ceci.

Although I am a strong believer that he can play in the NHL with the right contract and slotting (4-5-6) and honestly, I wouldn't mind keeping him under does circumstances... BUT the reality is that.. his time in Ottawa has run its course. Even when he plays well people Sh*t on him. He definitely needs a change of scenery.

2) Get Rid of Condon's contract.

Trade him anywhere for anything. And if nobody wants him, buy him out. Ottawa has a flux of good goalie prospects who need to play. Anderson can be a veteran mentor for Hogberg in the NHL while Daccord and Gusta split games in the minor. It might be good to bring in a good veteran 3rd string goalie to help mentor/Coach the kids in the minors. i.e. a guy like McKenna.

3) Pick up a Bad Contract to help out a team

It's hard to see from who?.. and for what?.. but I would think a player off, either Tampa Bay or Winnipeg.

4) Contract Extensions

- Sign one of these 3 UFAs: Paajarvis, Gibbons, Lindberg (I personally want Paajarvis) to a 1-year contract;
- Sign Duclair to a cheap 2-year contract, or if you can't, a 1-year contract (qualify him if you have to too);
- Lock both White and Wolanin up long-term! Overpay them early in their contract so that they have a cheap contract at the back end (Once Ottawa is back to being a contender);
- Sign Nick Paul to a 1-way deal.

5) Sign some prospects on the reserve

- Josh Norris
- Nurmi
- I would love to sign Benard Docker, but I think he'll end back to school for one more year.
- Doubt they will draft anyone in the 2019 draft that is going to be able to make an impact next year.

6) Fill out the remaining spot in the minors with plugs

...... I think this is reasonable.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$8,250,000
3$9,250,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,250,000
2$925,000
6$4,850,000
6$4,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
OTT
  1. MacDonald, Andrew
  2. 2019 1st round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Ceci, Cody [RFA Rights]
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. Raddysh, Taylor
Additional Details:
TBL says: Waive or we're going to buy you out.

OTT says: Come here, play pp pk, and we'll trade you to a contending team at the TDL for one more shot at the cup.
TBL
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$75,128,332$0$4,172,500$7,871,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,937,500$2,937,500
C
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$755,000$755,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 2, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Horton contract maybe???
May 2, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
Horton contract maybe???

Yeah???

But the thing is that he's on LTIR, so I don't think the leafs mind paying him. As long as he doesn't affect the cap!
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
luketd
Flyers decline
May 2, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: luketd
Flyers decline

Why?
May 2, 2019 at 4:46 p.m.
luketd
Quoting: ThatGuy
Why?

Macdonalds contract is done next season, no need to trade him. Cici isn’t the player the flyers want in the top 4. I can see them going after Spurgeon or Trouba.
May 2, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
I agree with mostly everything you said! id maybe say trade Condon to a team that will be looking to buy out a bigger contract ( like the Flyers and Macdonald) for a cheaper buyout for them and maybe get a 5th or 6th for that. Trading Ceci is a must, and get picks in return not another hoffman trade. I think they look at getting a LTIR contract maybe Horton or Hossa. I think they should either keep none of those 3 UFAs but agree Paajarvi would be the one I would keep if I had to keep one. Agreed with White and Wolanin. something like 6x$5mill for White would be good and Maybe a 5x$4mill for Wolanin should get both done. Paul Needs to play in Ottawa this year and give him more than 8 mins a game so he can actually do something. They need to sign Norris and Nurmi would be more effective on the smaller ice in NA then the larger in Europe. JBD will be back at North Dakota and they should look at drafting RHD this year early not many good options in the system outside of JBD.
ThatGuy liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: Mike7856
I agree with mostly everything you said! id maybe say trade Condon to a team that will be looking to buy out a bigger contract ( like the Flyers and Macdonald) for a cheaper buyout for them and maybe get a 5th or 6th for that. Trading Ceci is a must, and get picks in return not another hoffman trade. I think they look at getting a LTIR contract maybe Horton or Hossa. I think they should either keep none of those 3 UFAs but agree Paajarvi would be the one I would keep if I had to keep one. Agreed with White and Wolanin. something like 6x$5mill for White would be good and Maybe a 5x$4mill for Wolanin should get both done. Paul Needs to play in Ottawa this year and give him more than 8 mins a game so he can actually do something. They need to sign Norris and Nurmi would be more effective on the smaller ice in NA then the larger in Europe. JBD will be back at North Dakota and they should look at drafting RHD this year early not many good options in the system outside of JBD.

Yup! I agree. That's a good point with Condon.

But the one problem with having all these draft picks is that you end up with a massive reserve of players with limited roster spots (Both in the NHL and AHL). I think they might have to trade away some picks for solidified prospects or pending RFAs.

And the Hoffman trade sucked... but had to be done...
Mike7856 liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: luketd
Macdonalds contract is done next season, no need to trade him. Cici isn’t the player the flyers want in the top 4. I can see them going after Spurgeon or Trouba.

Fair enough.

I was more floating the Idea of trading Ceci and the 32nd overall pick for a pick in the top 20.

And then I thought maybe if OTT picked up a bad contract, they could get a pick somewhere around the 15th OA pick. hence why I picked the flyers. But if you think they can land Spurgeon or Trouba, by all means, do that instead
May 2, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
Banned
Or......don't sign Duclair.

Addition by subtraction.
May 2, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: pharrow
Or......don't sign Duclair.

Addition by subtraction.

You're not a fan?
May 2, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Yup! I agree. That's a good point with Condon.

But the one problem with having all these draft picks is that you end up with a massive reserve of players with limited roster spots (Both in the NHL and AHL). I think they might have to trade away some picks for solidified prospects or pending RFAs.

And the Hoffman trade sucked... but had to be done...

Agreed. I just like acquiring picks because it gives you options to trade up in the draft for a player you covet but is out of reach where you currently are slotted and with limited draft capital it makes it tougher to justify the trade up. but yes that hoffman trade was just terrible just wish we took a couple picks over boedker. but PD was backed in a corner with that one haha
ThatGuy liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Banned
You're not a fan?

I watched him play a bunch on columbus. He sucks. He's the only player I have ever seen a coach rail on in front of tv cameras. Torts whaled on him.

He got benched for being flat out lazy. Period. I wouldn't want him on any team I was making.
May 2, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
I watched him play a bunch on columbus. He sucks. He's the only player I have ever seen a coach rail on in front of tv cameras. Torts whaled on him.

He got benched for being flat out lazy. Period. I wouldn't want him on any team I was making.

I heard the stories but never really saw him play until he got to Ottawa and was absolutely shocked by how much talent that guy has. So much potential... And maybe signing the league minimum and then getting traded to Ottawa as a throw-in was a wake-up call for him!
May 2, 2019 at 5:19 p.m.
Banned
I heard the stories but never really saw him play until he got to Ottawa and was absolutely shocked by how much talent that guy has. So much potential... And maybe signing the league minimum and then getting traded to Ottawa as a throw-in was a wake-up call for him!

yeah how many times has he been traded now? He's a bum. He has no business on any team. He'll end right back up being benched again. No sense even wasting time. Go give the slot to a prospect.
May 2, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
yeah how many times has he been traded now? He's a bum. He has no business on any team. He'll end right back up being benched again. No sense even wasting time. Go give the slot to a prospect.

hahahahaha he's definitely fooling me! Seems like he's changed.

You wouldn't even bring him back 715k? Just to see?

Worst case, you flip him out or bury him
May 3, 2019 at 1:15 a.m.
Banned
hahahahaha he's definitely fooling me! Seems like he's changed.

You wouldn't even bring him back 715k? Just to see?

Worst case, you flip him out or bury him

he thinks he's the goal scoring hero, plays no defense and when he doesn't get the puck he just doesn't care what happens. You'll see. I think he was sent to ottawa for cap reasons, not because anyone though he was a good player.
May 3, 2019 at 8:26 a.m.
I like a lot of what you did, good job... and I don't think it's at all far fetched...

However, I think you added an extra 0 to the Norris and Nurmi deals smile
ThatGuy liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 9:24 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
he thinks he's the goal scoring hero, plays no defense and when he doesn't get the puck he just doesn't care what happens. You'll see. I think he was sent to ottawa for cap reasons, not because anyone though he was a good player.

Oh yeah, he was definitely a throw-in in the dzingle deal as a warm body to even out the contracts.

But I think it's much harder to score in the NHL than to defend. And there is absolutely no risk taking him on. He kinda reminds me off Drouin playing style (definitely not as good obviously but also not as expansive)
May 3, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: Riceroni
I like a lot of what you did, good job... and I don't think it's at all far fetched...

However, I think you added an extra 0 to the Norris and Nurmi deals smile

laugh laugh

Not sure giving Stone and Duchene's money to Norris and Nurmi would go very well with Ottawa fans.
May 3, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
... We're a "Team"..
I like your ideas. I think Ottawa needs to grow a little more but I don't think giving massive amounts of money to guys coming off their ELC (specially defensemen) is wise. While I really like Wololo, because he made Ceci look half decent, I'd say give him a bridge deal to see if he can play full time in the NHL. I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Ceci one more trial run. But, if teams are willing to pay high for him, I'd say trade him immediately. I don't think Philly would make that trade with McDonald, but maybe Pittsburgh with Gudbranson or Calgary with Neal? Moving down in the draft and taking a youngish RHD in return for a cap dump and a 1st would make certain GM's happy.

I'm torn with Duclair. While I think he does have massive amounts of skill, his drive is lacking. He's also taking some scrutiny for off-ice issues which was something Ottawa wants (and really needs) to avoid. Something about harassing women online? Fake accounts or some such? Whatever it is, Ottawa doesn't need it. I'd say, give his place to Balcers, Formenton, Paul or Abramov. Or maybe grab a veteran guy for cheap or get a teams cap dump for locker room experience. Either way, Duclair is too much of a risk.

The other thing is... coaching. Who's the frick coach next year? What kind of style is he? Is he a yes man for Dorion and Melnyk? Is he going to play the young guys? Is he going off an internship? Is it Martin, Yeo or Crawford, again?

Another thing... who is president of hockey ops? We know who it should be (rhymes with Schmaniel Ralfredsson), but he was already driven out by Melnyk, twice... and the other guy died (RIP Murray). They need someone in between Dorion and Melnyk to say, "Hey wait a minute, this is a bad idea. Maybe you should shut up and let the people who know hockey, talk hockey..."

I honestly do like what I see here and what the Sens can become in a couple of years time. I like our prospects, I like our young guys. But, when I see what Duchene, Stone, Karlsson, Lehner and company are doing in the playoffs (despite some issues here and there), I just see more future guys in different uniforms come time to pay them. Ottawa has a lot to prove that they aren't just the NHL's farm team...

Point is, lots of things need to happen off the ice before things start happening on the ice. Maybe a nice uniform change, too... neutral
May 3, 2019 at 4:41 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: Green4D4Again
I like your ideas. I think Ottawa needs to grow a little more but I don't think giving massive amounts of money to guys coming off their ELC (specially defensemen) is wise. While I really like Wololo, because he made Ceci look half decent, I'd say give him a bridge deal to see if he can play full time in the NHL. I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Ceci one more trial run. But, if teams are willing to pay high for him, I'd say trade him immediately. I don't think Philly would make that trade with McDonald, but maybe Pittsburgh with Gudbranson or Calgary with Neal? Moving down in the draft and taking a youngish RHD in return for a cap dump and a 1st would make certain GM's happy.

I'm torn with Duclair. While I think he does have massive amounts of skill, his drive is lacking. He's also taking some scrutiny for off-ice issues which was something Ottawa wants (and really needs) to avoid. Something about harassing women online? Fake accounts or some such? Whatever it is, Ottawa doesn't need it. I'd say, give his place to Balcers, Formenton, Paul or Abramov. Or maybe grab a veteran guy for cheap or get a teams cap dump for locker room experience. Either way, Duclair is too much of a risk.

The other thing is... coaching. Who's the frick coach next year? What kind of style is he? Is he a yes man for Dorion and Melnyk? Is he going to play the young guys? Is he going off an internship? Is it Martin, Yeo or Crawford, again?

Another thing... who is president of hockey ops? We know who it should be (rhymes with Schmaniel Ralfredsson), but he was already driven out by Melnyk, twice... and the other guy died (RIP Murray). They need someone in between Dorion and Melnyk to say, "Hey wait a minute, this is a bad idea. Maybe you should shut up and let the people who know hockey, talk hockey..."

I honestly do like what I see here and what the Sens can become in a couple of years time. I like our prospects, I like our young guys. But, when I see what Duchene, Stone, Karlsson, Lehner and company are doing in the playoffs (despite some issues here and there), I just see more future guys in different uniforms come time to pay them. Ottawa has a lot to prove that they aren't just the NHL's farm team...

Point is, lots of things need to happen off the ice before things start happening on the ice. Maybe a nice uniform change, too... neutral

I tend to agree with being careful with who you sign long term contracts too. That's how teams get into cap issues with bad contracts. But Wolanin is a little different since he's coming off his entry-level contract at 24 years old. I think he's perfect for the new NHL (Puck moving/good skating defencemen).

Maybe this is me being naive, but I'd be willing to give Duclair one more shot, especially on a 1 year deal. He's cheap and can be easily disposed of if he ends up being the guy everyone thought he was.

Also, I really don't like Melnyk, but I do think he offered reasonable and competitive contracts offer to all UFAs who left (And TBH, those contracts would have probably hurt us the long term). I think everyone left because of the culture and desire to win. NOW we have an amazing young core who'll grow together and want to play for each other. So, I have no doubt things will be different when it'll come to signing this core. The first on that list is Chabot (8 years)

Anyways a lot of questions going forward!! It's going to be a very busy summer. Existed too see what happens.
Green4D4 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll