I??m in - Hard Choices

Created by: Jtcurls
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2019
Published: May 3, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Mitch signs for 6 x 9.5
That’s the same AAV as Kucherov and Stone both of whom have put up significantly better stats for longer period then Marner. It puts him him behind only Kane and soon behind Panarin. It pays him 30% more then Nylander and 15% more then Draisaitl. The Draisaitl comparison is really the best one. He signed for 2/3 of what his generational partner did. Marner at 9.5 vs Matthews 11.6 is only 20% lower.

So with this done and with both Kapanen and Johnnsson signed you have to move 2 of Brown, Kadri and Nylander then fill out with one 4million dollar defenseman and the rest have to be guys well under 1 million. Fortunately the leafs have a bunch in Moore, Petan, Goat, Rosen, etc

I have chosen Brown because he played jr in Erie with McDavid and had 128 points. I think he can play 1st line wing with Draisaitl and McDavid.

Kadri is two time 30 goal guy. He could play the wing but I think is good 2nd line center with RNH on wing and maybe Chiasson.

I also chose Kadri because he IMO has worn out his welcome. Plus Nylander was “promised” he would not be moved. I don’t think Dubas will make that move unless he has to. Moving kadri will be accepted more easily in the Leaf dressing room.

Point is Oil need top 6 talent more then they need a 2,3 defenseman like Larsson.

Why not Carolina ????
I think that ship has sailed. With the run the hurricane are on they will not be trading Pesce, Hamilton or Slavin. Those are the only guys who you would want from them.

Mitch is great but he is an assist machine not a goal scorer. Ovechkin makes significantly more then Backstrom and Matthews should make significantly more then Marner.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,500,000
3$3,000,000
3$3,000,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Larsson, Adam
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Oilers have already lost the Hall/Larsson deal and not being realistic about his value would be a mistake. Adding 2 x top 2 line players both on good contracts is a decent return. Plus they have Jones, Bear and Bouchard coming up soon on defence.
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. Kadri, Nazem
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Kadri plays center on 2nd line with RNH on LW. Draisaitl plays wing on 1st line with McDavid and Brown is Wing.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$77,343,865$0$82,500$5,656,135
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 3, 2019 at 12:14 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I hope nobody gets hurt...
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
Leafs having the marlins in town mean they can bring up recruits quickly and play with short roster.
May 3, 2019 at 12:23 a.m.
Quoting: Jtcurls
Leafs having the marlins in town mean they can bring up recruits quickly and play with short roster.

Quoting: Jamiepo
I hope nobody gets hurt...

What they really solves their problem would be Marleau to get hurt this summer and go on LTIR for a year.
May 3, 2019 at 12:50 a.m.
Godfried
Should pick up a goalie for the playoffs. . . .
Dwight_Schrute and Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 12:57 a.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Edited May 3, 2019 at 1:05 a.m.
legit why does every Toronto post have Kadri going to Edmonton?? dont need a guy like that on the team for that kinda price. If he were to be traded, it'd be at a discount after a not even being able to score 20 and taking penalties like no tomorrow. I get the need to shed cap so kapanen dosent get offersheeted by a team like edmonton but I dont see this as the way to go. As for brown on Mcdavid's wing? Kasian would be a better fit anywyas
May 3, 2019 at 1:00 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
What they really solves their problem would be Marleau to get hurt this summer and go on LTIR for a year.

That is just a horrible thought. No one wants to see the guy hurt.
Godfried and Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:01 a.m.
The only problem is the State tax. Nevada and Florida compared to Ontario is a major difference. 1.5 million per year nearly. It’s not apples to apples. Marners camp won’t let him settle for anything less than 8 figures.
Godfried and Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:08 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

So leafs are on a California road trip and 3 guys go down... uh oh... not only that when you pull a guy up from the marlies you have to include their daily cap hit into the equation.

The leafs were very diligent in sending Moore up and down this season. His accumulated daily cap hit was 308k for 25 games. You have 106k... so maybe 11-12 man/games...

Like I said, I hope nobody gets hurt.
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:12 a.m.
Quoting: jjkhairaELTE99
legit why does every Toronto post have Kadri going to Edmonton?? dont need a guy like that on the team. OIlers can find better players that are easier to aquire to fit a 2nd line winger role for just as much or cheaper. I see Toronto desperately trying to shed cap to afford kapanen at $4M but he'll likely be offersheeted by edmonton then that brown trade happens.

Really?

Tell me another 30 goal guy you can get for 4.5 that kadri makes. The guy you suggest should also take face offs, be able to ply the first PP and play with some grit.

Leaf fans include kadri because they know he can play. He showed that the two years he was 1st line center in Toronto. And they include him because we need to move cap.

As for offer sheeting Kapanen. It will take over 4 million and term to do that. That means a 1st and a 3rd as compensation. The guy had 45 pts this year in his first full season. Why are you so willing to pay him that and you think kadri at 4.5 is an undesirable.

I am fine with keeping kadri and including Kapenan if oil retain some salary.
GenXHockey liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:13 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: tnperk
The only problem is the State tax. Nevada and Florida compared to Ontario is a major difference. 1.5 million per year nearly. It’s not apples to apples. Marners camp won’t let him settle for anything less than 8 figures.

Signing bonus’ taxed at 25% in Canada.... Marners endorsements, last count he was up to 14 seperate endorsement deals.

That being said I think he gets 10+

I would put the range from 9-11m on a deal that is 6 years.
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:20 a.m.

Marner does not have the option to sign in Vegas or in Florida. Vegas has no cap space, Tampa has no cap space, panthers are going to have no cap space after signing Panarin and Bobrovsky. Both without giving up 4x1st rd picks.

Marner doesn’t want to leave Toronto.

Toronto doesn’t want him to go.

Your right it’s not apples to apples. You think Mitch will make 2 or 3 million a year in endorsements in Arizona, Florida or anywhere else. Plus nowhere else does he get to play with Tavares and nowhere else does he get to play in front of his hometown.

No one is going to pay him over 10 million on a long term plus give up the picks required.

Mariners “people” will ask for the Matthews deal but will ultimately sign the Kucherov deal.
May 3, 2019 at 1:31 a.m.
That is just a horrible thought. No one wants to see the guy hurt.

I didn’t say it’s what I want or wish for, the guy hasn’t missed a game in 10+ years, I said it is the only way his salary goes away. Of course no one wants that to happen.
GenXHockey liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
Signing bonus’ taxed at 25% in Canada.... Marners endorsements, last count he was up to 14 seperate endorsement deals.

That being said I think he gets 10+

I would put the range from 9-11m on a deal that is 6 years.

I think for all the reasons you state he signs the Kucherov deal.

6 x 9.5 with huge signing bonus each year. That plus endorsements plus playing in his hometown and playing withTavares should be enough.

Some guys like McDavid, Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Stone, etc leave money on the table so teams can remain competitive. I believe Mitch is one of those guys.
May 3, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I think for all the reasons you state he signs the Kucherov deal.

6 x 9.5 with huge signing bonus each year. That plus endorsements plus playing in his hometown and playing withTavares should be enough.

Some guys like McDavid, Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Stone, etc leave money on the table so teams can remain competitive. I believe Mitch is one of those guys.

He has been one of those guys, even on his elc and it pissed his agent off. I don’t think Mitch will be very involved if at all. I wouldn’t get your hopes up for anything under 10m.

If he does give a hometown discount give him the C. Would probably be the best career move he could make. The endorsements alone would far outweigh the money given up, especially with an incorporated tax rate. I think @palhal has always explained the life long benefits of being a leaf the most eloquently.
tnperk liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 1:49 a.m.
He has been one of those guys, even on his elc and it pissed his agent off. I don’t think Mitch will be very involved if at all. I wouldn’t get your hopes up for anything under 10m.

If he does give a hometown discount give him the C. Would probably be the best career move he could make. The endorsements alone would far outweigh the money given up, especially with an incorporated tax rate. I think @palhal has always explained the life long benefits of being a leaf the most eloquently.

9.5 is not a hometown discount

Marner signs the contract not his agent.

If Ferris tries to put it to the leafs too hard, I believe Mitch will handle that efficiently by stepping in.

Patti Marleau should get the C for his final year.

You have to earn the C and no one else except Tavares and Patti have done that.
May 3, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
9.5 is not a hometown discount

Marner signs the contract not his agent.

If Ferris tries to put it to the leafs too hard, I believe Mitch will handle that efficiently by stepping in.

Patti Marleau should get the C for his final year.

You have to earn the C and no one else except Tavares and Patti have done that.

All very reasonable points.

I will counter with Marners on Camera comment:

“It’s every kid’s dream to sign their first big Contract”

Times have changed, I only ever dreamed of winning the cup as a young kid.
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 2:53 a.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Really?

Tell me another 30 goal guy you can get for 4.5 that kadri makes. The guy you suggest should also take face offs, be able to ply the first PP and play with some grit.

Leaf fans include kadri because they know he can play. He showed that the two years he was 1st line center in Toronto. And they include him because we need to move cap.

As for offer sheeting Kapanen. It will take over 4 million and term to do that. That means a 1st and a 3rd as compensation. The guy had 45 pts this year in his first full season. Why are you so willing to pay him that and you think kadri at 4.5 is an undesirable.

I am fine with keeping kadri and including Kapenan if oil retain some salary.

Well for starters, Kapanen is much young with a bigger upside.Skates much better and has a much better hockey IQ than kadri. His speed and skill would complement mcdavid nicely rather than experiment with connor brown up there.
Also the oilers dont need a centre core costing them $23 mil. Moving nuge to the wing doesnt suit him as he plays his best down the middle matching up against opposing top lines with his stellar two-way style of play (as proven this season). If kadri can play the wing at a top 6 lvl without the help of allstar linemates and can stay out of the box, I'd have no problem with the deal. but If I were the oilers GM id look towards a consistent 25 goal guy instead of someone who has gotten 30 twice but the other 4 years barely can get 20.
Kapanen will get an offersheet for 4 million cause teams around the league know that they have financial leverage over the leafs (as is they can't afford him at $4mil) Toronto has to worry about paying marner $11+Mil and pay the rest of their expiring contracts as well. And I do not see anybody taking on marleau's contract or nylanders (unless it was a steal of a deal) making the likelihood of said offersheet happening even greater.
As for your "playing with grit" statement, the oilers have that in zack kassian for half the cost. (who has a nearly the same stat line as Tom Wilson)
Ideally the oil go for the kapanen offer sheet and get a consistent 25 goal scorer for larsson and some sweetners
May 3, 2019 at 7:51 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Marner salary will partially be determined by an offer sheet. Let's imagine an offer sheet (not signed) 11m. There are few teams that offer 11m, few good teams have 11m cap space, few teams would pay four firsts especially if there was a risk of lottery picks included in their four picks.
So let's stop the illusion there are 31 teams in on the bidding for Marner. And somewhere along the line in Marner's case "hometown discount" is probably real.
For some reason IMO the Leafs overpaid for their two RFAs Nylander and Matthews. But there is no reason that can tradition can/should continue. So let's not compare Marner next salary to Matthews. Compare to Aho. (virtually identical stats in the past two years). Rantanen and Point.
Jtcurls and GenXHockey liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 8:34 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Marner salary will partially be determined by an offer sheet. Let's imagine an offer sheet (not signed) 11m. There are few teams that offer 11m, few good teams have 11m cap space, few teams would pay four firsts especially if there was a risk of lottery picks included in their four picks.
So let's stop the illusion there are 31 teams in on the bidding for Marner. And somewhere along the line in Marner's case "hometown discount" is probably real.
For some reason IMO the Leafs overpaid for their two RFAs Nylander and Matthews. But there is no reason that can tradition can/should continue. So let's not compare Marner next salary to Matthews. Compare to Aho. (virtually identical stats in the past two years). Rantanen and Point.

Agree with much of this.

Except Rantanen and Pointe should be paid more then Marner because their stats are better.
May 3, 2019 at 8:52 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Agree with much of this.

Except Rantanen and Pointe should be paid more then Marner because their stats are better.

Interesting that in about 99% of CapFriendly posts, Marner gets paid so much more than the other upcoming RFAs.
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
Marner does not have the option to sign in Vegas or in Florida. Vegas has no cap space, Tampa has no cap space, panthers are going to have no cap space after signing Panarin and Bobrovsky. Both without giving up 4x1st rd picks.

Your right it’s not apples to apples. You think Mitch will make 2 or 3 million a year in endorsements in Arizona, Florida or anywhere else. Plus nowhere else does he get to play with Tavares and nowhere else does he get to play in front of his hometown.

No one is going to pay him over 10 million on a long term plus give up the picks required.

Mariners “people” will ask for the Matthews deal but will ultimately sign the Kucherov deal.

The kucherov deal in tamap is alot different than the same aav in Tornoto. You cant say he will get the kucherov deal. its 1.5 less per year in toronto. 9.5 in tampa is 11m in ontario.
May 3, 2019 at 1:43 p.m.
The kucherov deal in tamap is alot different than the same aav in Tornoto. You cant say he will get the kucherov deal. its 1.5 less per year in toronto. 9.5 in tampa is 11m in ontario.

No kidding.....taxes are really higher in Ontario.

Newsflash, the weather is warmer in Tampa too.

Perhaps players take more into account then tax rates. Maybe the fact he has endorsement opportunities in Toronto that are higher then anywhere else, maybe like Tavares Mitch will want to win in his hometown. Maybe, just maybe this guy is not a total lug head like some people and he can see beyond his tax bill.

I think after 3 years in the league he is smart enough to see the big picture. Perhaps he can talk with his buddy Marleau about never winning the cup. If you look at all the great teams the stars were smart enough to take a little less so they could be surrounded by other talented players. Crosby, Malkin left enough on the table for the GM to bring in Kessel or Hornquist.

I believe Tavares and yes Matthews both did that. Mitch should do the Sam and recognize that being the highest paid winger will cripple the Leafs. After 3 pretty good years being paid like the 4th highest should be good.
May 3, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
No kidding.....taxes are really higher in Ontario.

Newsflash, the weather is warmer in Tampa too.

Perhaps players take more into account then tax rates. Maybe the fact he has endorsement opportunities in Toronto that are higher then anywhere else, maybe like Tavares Mitch will want to win in his hometown. Maybe, just maybe this guy is not a total lug head like some people and he can see beyond his tax bill.

I think after 3 years in the league he is smart enough to see the big picture. Perhaps he can talk with his buddy Marleau about never winning the cup. If you look at all the great teams the stars were smart enough to take a little less so they could be surrounded by other talented players. Crosby, Malkin left enough on the table for the GM to bring in Kessel or Hornquist.

I believe Tavares and yes Matthews both did that. Mitch should do the Sam and recognize that being the highest paid winger will cripple the Leafs. After 3 pretty good years being paid like the 4th highest should be good.

newsflash: marner is not going to take a penny less than 10m from the leafs nor should he.
May 3, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Signing bonuses are taxed at 25% and marner has 14 endorsement deals and rising. So does that mean we can pay him 6.5m? Since he will make more money than kucherov on a 6.5m compared to 9.5m in Tampa.
Jtcurls liked this.
May 3, 2019 at 6:54 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Agree with much of this.

But 90% of CapFriendly posters think the Leafs HAVE to pay more when they sign players. There was a beauty post the other day from a Carolina fan. Marner offered sheeted at 12.5m and signing Aho for 7.75m. So if the reason Marner departs the Leafs because he doesn't get Matthews money, what't the justification in have a 35% cap in Marner and Aho?
Jtcurls liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll