Forums/GM Game 2019-20

2019-20 GM Game - General Discussion

Aug 14 at 10:32
Go Jackets
Quoting: jmac490
Freddie wasn't even the issue. He had above a .950 SV% for the series.
Full stop, the issue was the offense, and Marincin not taking Foudy. Also Korpisalo was playing some other worldly hockey. Jones + Werenski are a gross pair. Nashville is kicking themselves that they have RyJo

Yeah, you just cannot have a top line making 33 million and then get shutout. Plus in the stacked line combo, the other 3 lines were just awful. Really make Korpis game 5 workload easy when the big 3 were not on the ice.

Kinda funny how Nashville had the most stacked D in the league, and now has the most overpaid Center core in the league with RyJo, Duchene, Turris, Granlund, Bonino and Sissons
jmac490 and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug 14 at 11:08
rangersandislesfan
Quoting: matt59
Yeah, you just cannot have a top line making 33 million and then get shutout. Plus in the stacked line combo, the other 3 lines were just awful. Really make Korpis game 5 workload easy when the big 3 were not on the ice.

Kinda funny how Nashville had the most stacked D in the league, and now has the most overpaid Center core in the league with RyJo, Duchene, Turris, Granlund, Bonino and Sissons

That's good centre depth in Nashville but I don't think they have a true #1 centre.

For the Leafs, I don't think trading any of the big 3 is the solution, but they're going to need to do something. On paper, they have a good defence, but it's only a offensive defence and they still give up a ton of goals.
Aug 14 at 12:21
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
That's good centre depth in Nashville but I don't think they have a true #1 centre.

For the Leafs, I don't think trading any of the big 3 is the solution, but they're going to need to do something. On paper, they have a good defence, but it's only a offensive defence and they still give up a ton of goals.

on paper they dont have a good defense. they have an offensive defense which isnt a defense its just an extension of the forward group. Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs right now in the east. Philly, Columbus, Carolina, Boston, Tampa, Islanders all have STACKED defensive units. Washingtons is very good as well. Montreal and pittsburgh were the 2 teams defensively that werent great but ide rank Montreal's corp ahead of torontos. Not many teams can match the output toronto has sure but when things tighten up in the playoffs goals disappear and it becomes a who can keep the puck out of the net better scenario. Until toronto adds more muzzins to the group this team likely wont amount to anything.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug 14 at 10:48
rangersandislesfan
Quoting: hanson493
on paper they dont have a good defense. they have an offensive defense which isnt a defense its just an extension of the forward group. Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs right now in the east. Philly, Columbus, Carolina, Boston, Tampa, Islanders all have STACKED defensive units. Washingtons is very good as well. Montreal and pittsburgh were the 2 teams defensively that werent great but ide rank Montreal's corp ahead of torontos. Not many teams can match the output toronto has sure but when things tighten up in the playoffs goals disappear and it becomes a who can keep the puck out of the net better scenario. Until toronto adds more muzzins to the group this team likely wont amount to anything.

That's the point I was trying to make ... they have good defensemen, but they're not good enough defensively. So, on paper, they have a good group of defensemen, but they're not a very good team defensively.
Aug 15 at 12:15
Go Jackets

It’s good depth, but you can’t be investing $26 million into your centers and not have a 1C. And the leafs need a defensive fix across the team imo. I think both a defensive forward and a good two way right shot d would be wise investments for Toronto. Defense needs to be a team concept, not just something left for the d men to do.
Aug 15 at 12:16
Go Jackets

I’d even include Montreal’s group as a good d core... weber and Petry are studs and Chiarot and Mete are solid complimentary partners for those guys
hanson493 liked this.
Aug 15 at 8:35
rangersandislesfan
Quoting: matt59
It’s good depth, but you can’t be investing $26 million into your centers and not have a 1C. And the leafs need a defensive fix across the team imo. I think both a defensive forward and a good two way right shot d would be wise investments for Toronto. Defense needs to be a team concept, not just something left for the d men to do.

That's basically what I just said.
matt59 liked this.
Aug 16 at 11:50
Edited Aug 17 at 12:18 by flamesfan419
@Zach @DontToewsMe19 @Rodzikhockey93 @Gronk @Mr_Cap @flamesfan419 @mhockey91 @TMLSage @Pointerr21 @GhostBear @Daryl @Higgs31 @Matt59 @Turner33 @eklund29 @phillyjabroni @rangersandislesfan @krakowitz @TabooPenguo @DirtyDangles @A_K @PattyMack88 @RinksideOps @Max @hanson493 @EmpressKayla @Hockeylover360 @xexus101, @Bennett93, @Jack_, @buffbry, @Bo53Horvat, @PaulyU @BenAky

After talking about it with a senior citizen and emailing my local priest and rabbi (both are yet to respond), I believe it is in the best interest of the game if we do a restart and start fresh. As is the game is stagnant without much action apart from a few teams. If we are to make v5 I believe it would bring new life to the game because teams will want to make their team theirs and by the time everybody is somewhat happy the next season will likely be restarting. If we just wait around with our fingers up our butts the game will die off without much hope of restarting it

In conclusion, v5 = good, v4 = bad
monops19, buffbry, Jack_ and 1 other person liked this.
Aug 16 at 11:57
Quoting: Max
@Zach @DontToewsMe19 @Rodzikhockey93 @Gronk @Mr_Cap @flamesfan419 @mhockey91 @TMLSage @Pointerr21 @GhostBear @Daryl @Higgs31 @Matt59 @Turner33 @eklund29 @phillyjabroni @rangersandislesfan @krakowitz @TabooPenguo @DirtyDangles @A_K @PattyMack88 @RinksideOps @Max @hanson493 @EmpressKayla @Hockeylover360 @xexus101, @Bennett93, @Jack_, @buffbry, @Bo53Horvat, @PaulyU @BenAky

After talking about it with a senior citizen and emailing my local priest and rabbi (both are yet to respond), I believe it is in the best interest of the game if we do a restart and start fresh. As is the game is stagnant without much action apart from a few teams. If we are to make v5 I believe it would bring new life to the game because teams will want to make their team theirs and by the time everybody is somewhat happy the next season will likely be restarting. If we just wait around with our fingers up our asses the game will die off without much hope of restarting it

In conclusion, v5 = good, v4 = bad

i agree
Jack_ and Rodzikhockey93 liked this.
Aug 17 at 9:44
@monops19 v5 would just repeat v4... everything we did since march would be pointless and nobody would learn from what happened and just repeat trading all their assets for studs and go for stacked rosters... then next year when everyones got no cap and everyone has players they like on their rosters everyone would be clamoring for v6. didnt realize this game was about 1 year franchises. how many teams are going to tank if you keep resetting the league every year...
Aug 17 at 9:53
@monops19 v5 would just repeat v4... everything we did since march would be pointless and nobody would learn from what happened and just repeat trading all their assets for studs and go for stacked rosters... then next year when everyones got no cap and everyone has players they like on their rosters everyone would be clamoring for v6. didnt realize this game was about 1 year franchises. how many teams are going to tank if you keep resetting the league every year...

im all for a multi year game. but i feel like covid messed things up. and tbh there are alot of people who would want to start fresh
Max liked this.
Aug 17 at 10:00
Let'sGoBlues | WPGv4
Are there any details regarding a potential v5? Team selection method, rule changes, event schedule, etc? Restarts require a lot of attention from a BOG so if we're going to actually do it I suggest we figure out a plan.

Along those lines, here is my input.
I thought the random team assignment + ability to swap teams before the game begins was a great way to do things.

I think the draft and free agency should be done before IRL.

And I think the rules on tanking prevention need to be adjusted. I don't think 'franchise-tagging' players is an effective solution for that though. Maybe we could set tougher requirements on GP for each roster slot, and require anyone in the NHL for X amount of games to be on the NHL roster.

Also, it would be cool if someone else wanted to take over the scorekeeping from me. I can help with the transition.
monops19, matt59, hanson493 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug 17 at 10:53
rangersandislesfan

If it resets, I think that would lead to less tanking, wouldn't it?
Aug 17 at 10:54

Because that's how previous versions have gone...
giphy.gif
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug 17 at 10:55
rangersandislesfan
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Because that's how previous versions have gone...
giphy.gif

I know, but the plan each year has been to continue the game for multiple years ... if people know it's going to restart, they're not going to "tank" for a better draft pick.
Aug 17 at 10:59
I know, but the plan each year has been to continue the game for multiple years ... if people know it's going to restart, they're not going to "tank" for a better draft pick.

If we are to just continue the trend of restarting every year then picks and prospects are useless. At that point ****ty teams are worthless and don't have enough assets to try and make their team good.
hanson493 and Mr_cap liked this.
Aug 17 at 12:30

Quoting: DirtyDangles
If we are to just continue the trend of restarting every year then picks and prospects are useless. At that point ****ty teams are worthless and don't have enough assets to try and make their team good.

essentially if we keep doing yearly resets why would teams that are "tanking" tank? also if you dont get a top tier team or a team thats ready to contend why would you pay any attention? Like if we were to do v5 and i got detroit? ide put zero time into the game knowing full well it was pointless trying to contend. Thats why i said so many times when i was on BOG that this v4 had to last beyond 1 year. I know its boring right now, and that the offseason is going to be longer than normal but i mean hockey was voided for 5 months... theres really nothing we can do about that or when hockey starts back up.
Aug 17 at 12:47
Buffbry
essentially if we keep doing yearly resets why would teams that are "tanking" tank? also if you dont get a top tier team or a team thats ready to contend why would you pay any attention? Like if we were to do v5 and i got detroit? ide put zero time into the game knowing full well it was pointless trying to contend. Thats why i said so many times when i was on BOG that this v4 had to last beyond 1 year. I know its boring right now, and that the offseason is going to be longer than normal but i mean hockey was voided for 5 months... theres really nothing we can do about that or when hockey starts back up.

I'd take Detroit happily if we restart Detroit Red Wings
Aug 17 at 12:51
Quoting: buffbry
I'd take Detroit happily if we restart Detroit Red Wings

if the game wasnt a yearly reset ide take detroit to rebuild, same with the kings, senators etc. but if we come to june next year and someones like we should do v6 nothings happening (similar to right now...) you just wasted a year doing absolutely nothing with a rebuilding team. like the last 4 versions of rebuilding teams have wasted their time.
Aug 17 at 1:26
also while we are suggesting things... how about we take a look at montreals team and then come up with a better way to treat trade retention... its happening way too much im not the only one who thinks this way and it is def one of the reasons this game gets ruined so quickly. certain players should not be traded with retention. Ive brought this up countless times but its not the norm for teams to retain any amount of cap... especially beyond 1 year.
monops19, Turner33, mhockey91 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug 17 at 1:36
also while we are suggesting things... how about we take a look at montreals team and then come up with a better way to treat trade retention... its happening way too much im not the only one who thinks this way and it is def one of the reasons this game gets ruined so quickly. certain players should not be traded with retention. Ive brought this up countless times but its not the norm for teams to retain any amount of cap... especially beyond 1 year.

Any retain more then 2yrs needs to be subject to bog approval. Appropriately paid contracts shouldn't be retained on, unless it's ufas at the tdl
Aug 17 at 1:40
Let'sGoBlues | WPGv4
if the game wasnt a yearly reset ide take detroit to rebuild, same with the kings, senators etc. but if we come to june next year and someones like we should do v6 nothings happening (similar to right now...) you just wasted a year doing absolutely nothing with a rebuilding team. like the last 4 versions of rebuilding teams have wasted their time.

Just my opinion, but the whole game is technically a waste of time. We're just writing names onto rosters and doing some fantasy hockey style scoring and voting for the best teams. Rebuilding can be just as entertaining as contending regardless of whether the game is played out long enough to see anything come to fruition. And any team can be taken in any direction - just look at some of the v4 trades.
Daryl liked this.
Aug 17 at 1:54
Quoting: A_K
Just my opinion, but the whole game is technically a waste of time. We're just writing names onto rosters and doing some fantasy hockey style scoring and voting for the best teams. Rebuilding can be just as entertaining as contending regardless of whether the game is played out long enough to see anything come to fruition. And any team can be taken in any direction - just look at some of the v4 trades.

to what @matt59 said in the other thread though, its not as fun to rebuild to have it end in a year. like you want to kind of see how good you did over a few years vs like one. Sure we can look back like you guys do sometimes and say wow look at these moves but its different when you can play it out over the course of a few years. when you play nhl gm mode do you only play 1 season and then restart? its a similar concept.
matt59 liked this.
Aug 17 at 1:58
Let'sGoBlues | WPGv4
to what @matt59 said in the other thread though, its not as fun to rebuild to have it end in a year. like you want to kind of see how good you did over a few years vs like one. Sure we can look back like you guys do sometimes and say wow look at these moves but its different when you can play it out over the course of a few years. when you play nhl gm mode do you only play 1 season and then restart? its a similar concept.

More of an EASHL guy myself tears of joy
Aug 17 at 2:01
Quoting: A_K
More of an EASHL guy myself tears of joy

i mean i didnt have enough friends that played or were good enough to play... to do it consistently, i loved the mode back a few years ago. when they level capped everyone it was kind of eh. but they could easily work on their matchmaking and go by overalls and not by record.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll