SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Backes is BACK...

Backes starts in Round 3
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 6, 2019 at 11:41 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
I know, I know...there's a million reasons to go ugggggh - D. Backes!
But the ol' boy is proving what it is to be-on-the-way to a playoff hero. Thankfully the B's look to be the most experienced group going into Rd 3, and that my friends, is huge.... I tip my cap to DB, he finds a way when it matters most - playoff hockey - drop-the-puck!
Savard96 liked this.
May 7, 2019 at 8:47 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
But the ol' boy is proving what it is to be-on-the-way to a playoff hero. Thankfully the B's look to be the most experienced group going into Rd 3, and that my friends, is huge.... I tip my cap to DB, he finds a way when it matters most - playoff hockey - drop-the-puck!

trueeeeeeeeeeee, hes got some of his wheels back too!
May 7, 2019 at 8:57 a.m.
I mean I don't see Cassidy changing his line-up (unless McAvoy gets suspended), so I guess the answer would be yes to your poll question.
May 7, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.

that being said....I think he was a perfect skater for a physical CBJ team. Might need to bench him for more speed but we'll see what cassidy does
Jun. 21, 2020 at 11:46 p.m.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
That was a terrible deal for u guys

In all seriousness...
Backes is easily a CBO if teams are allowed, tight?
Jun. 22, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Jdfitz77
😂
That was a terrible deal for u guys

In all seriousness...
Backes is easily a CBO if teams are allowed, tight?

Sheesh - no I told ya so's here from 365+ days ago...
Did it take you 8 hours to scour the site for that one?

DB was on fire for 3 minutes in BOS career (thankfully 2.5min of that was in playoffs)...
He's now a Duck so go bug Bob Murray...
Jun. 22, 2020 at 12:18 a.m.
Sheesh - no I told ya so's here from 365+ days ago...
Did it take you 8 hours to scour the site for that one?

DB was on fire for 3 minutes in BOS career (thankfully 2.5min of that was in playoffs)...
He's now a Duck so go bug Bob Murray...

No, i just went to your profile
You’ve only made a small handful of threads/teams,
so it kinda jumped out

Also... forgot they got rid of him, my bad there
Jun. 24, 2020 at 9:10 a.m.
No, i just went to your profile
You’ve only made a small handful of threads/teams,
so it kinda jumped out

Also... forgot they got rid of him, my bad there

If teams get a cbo (doubt they will) the first given in the kase trade is gunna look pretty brutal.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: hanson493
If teams get a cbo (doubt they will) the first given in the kase trade is gunna look pretty brutal.

Yeah, Backes was bad all round in hindsight. At the time though he looked to be a good fit for the 'spoke' in a lot of facets...

I doubt CBOs will be a thing for a lot of reasons:
1) NHLPA union does not want 31 jobs lost to vets who have paid their dues and those loses help spendthrift owners/managers who are bad at business. Union is not a charity.
2) New TV/streaming deals are coming soon and will bring a ton of new money to all.
3) Expansion fees come to the owners but 50 NHL-AHL players will find new employment and new merch/local TV etc. means essentially it's money for all.
4) Gambling, gambling and gambling. Oh and gambling tis money for all; except the gambler!
Jun. 24, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
Yeah, Backes was bad all round in hindsight. At the time though he looked to be a good fit for the 'spoke' in a lot of facets...

1) NHLPA union does not want 31 jobs lost to vets who have paid their dues and those loses help spendthrift owners/managers who are bad at business. Union is not a charity.
2) New TV/streaming deals are coming soon and will bring a ton of new money to all.
3) Expansion fees come to the owners but 50 NHL-AHL players will find new employment and new merch/local TV etc. means essentially it's money for all.
4) Gambling, gambling and gambling. Oh and gambling tis money for all; except the gambler!

It was a weird signing, they already had a 1 and a 2 c. backes as a center, they could have gotten better value as a winger. the steal of that class was eric staal who i personally wanted as it was shown he could actually play as a winger.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
It was a weird signing, they already had a 1 and a 2 c. backes as a center, they could have gotten better value as a winger. the steal of that class was eric staal who i personally wanted as it was shown he could actually play as a winger.

True he'd have been a good fit, versatile etc. but gotta find a dance partner...
Jun. 25, 2020 at 12:17 a.m.

True
I think there’s a good shot at the CBO though
So many teams are gonna be in Cap trouble w/ it not going up
It would make sense to give teams some sort of reprieve
Pretty much everyone has a contract they’d like gone
Jun. 25, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
True

Hey anythings possible I spose.
But Donny Fehr of the PA, did not lead the biggest strike/walk-out/labour dispute in global sports history to just roll-over now and help the other enemy side out.
Besides, they had their CBO in 2013-14 and what did the GMs learn; butkas.
Jun. 25, 2020 at 1:04 a.m.
Hey anythings possible I spose.
But Donny Fehr of the PA, did not lead the biggest strike/walk-out/labour dispute in global sports history to just roll-over now and help the other enemy side out.
Besides, they had their CBO in 2013-14 and what did the GMs learn; butkas.

Idk that a CBO is bad for the players though?
They still get PAID 75% of their contract (i believe),
and they become free agents & can sign with whoever
Jun. 25, 2020 at 1:24 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Idk that a CBO is bad for the players though?
They still get PAID 75% of their contract (i believe),
and they become free agents & can sign with whoever

Do you think Loui Eriksson will get a new deal? Alzner, OkPoso, Backes?

These old guys have paid a lot of union dues and have some clout with their boss.

Moreover, shipping old guard out to be replaced by 18, 19, 20 year-olds does not strengthen the NHLPA, it weakens it by a lot - just what owners and NHL brass love to see.

The CBO if it happens, will have some 'strings' attached this time around IMO..."there are no free lunches"
Jun. 25, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
Do you think Loui Eriksson will get a new deal? Alzner, OkPoso, Backes?

These old guys have paid a lot of union dues and have some clout with their boss.

Moreover, shipping old guard out to be replaced by 18, 19, 20 year-olds does not strengthen the NHLPA, it weakens it by a lot - just what owners and NHL brass love to see.

The CBO if it happens, will have some 'strings' attached this time around IMO..."there are no free lunches"

Yes, i do think most of the players who’d get bought out would get deals
Short term, and not a lot of $$$
But yeah... most would still be playing
And if not... they just got a big chunk of the remainder of their contract to spend time with their kids
Not a bad life

What kind of “strings” do u think could be attached?
Jun. 25, 2020 at 1:34 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Yes, i do think most of the players who’d get bought out would get deals
Short term, and not a lot of $$$
But yeah... most would still be playing
And if not... they just got a big chunk of the remainder of their contract to spend time with their kids
Not a bad life

What kind of “strings” do u think could be attached?

Strings, I don't know exactly but lesser escrow % would be an obvious one.

Here's what I said earlier about CBOs being dead (think: short term pain post-COVID leading to long-term gain for ALL).
Exhibit A:
Jun. 25, 2020 at 1:40 a.m.
Strings, I don't know exactly but lesser escrow % would be an obvious one.

Here's what I said earlier about CBOs being dead (think: short term pain post-COVID leading to long-term gain for ALL).
Exhibit A:

Only #1 applies to the CBOs
And like i said, players still get paid a chunk of change & most will get contracts to play still
Jun. 25, 2020 at 2:00 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Jun. 25, 2020 at 2:13 a.m.
Only #1 applies to the CBOs
And like i said, players still get paid a chunk of change & most will get contracts to play still

No - they all do...110%

Why bail out owners etc. with CBOs when they get to line their pockets and tuck into the $$-trough like pigs in less than a year!?
And I'll suggest even further, that the pending TV/streaming deals for example have increased in value since COVID due to the supply demand of salivating networks and the public's appetite for something other than stale re-runs and dart tournaments.
It's a business not a charity event...

Edit:
UNION to OWNERS = "Suck it up buttercup din din is coming next year; oh look porterhouse steak again!!"
Jun. 25, 2020 at 2:30 a.m.
No - they all do...110%

Why bail out owners etc. with CBOs when they get to line their pockets and tuck into the $$-trough like pigs in less than a year!?
And I'll suggest even further, that the pending TV/streaming deals for example have increased in value since COVID due to the supply demand of salivating networks and the public's appetite for something other than stale re-runs and dart tournaments.
It's a business not a charity event...

Edit:
UNION to OWNERS = "Suck it up buttercup din din is coming next year; oh look porterhouse steak again!!"

It doesn’t “bail out owners”
It opens up cap space for teams to use on other players

If u don’t do the CBOs,
then this year’s free agents will suffer bc of a lack of cap room

Helps the players & the dumb GMs
Doesn’t help the owners at all
If anything... it hurts them bc they’ll be paying out more cash
(A LOT MORE CASH) this season than they would’ve otherwise
Jun. 25, 2020 at 2:55 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
It doesn’t “bail out owners”
It opens up cap space for teams to use on other players

If u don’t do the CBOs,
then this year’s free agents will suffer bc of a lack of cap room

Helps the players & the dumb GMs
Doesn’t help the owners at all
If anything... it hurts them bc they’ll be paying out more cash
(A LOT MORE CASH) this season than they would’ve otherwise

It does "bail" out owners (and I mean GMs/management by extension) in that they get rid of deadwood and start the cycle all over again. And the CBO is not equitable because some clubs will benefit more than others and some have no use for one at all.
UFAs may certainly feel the pinch I agree. But the cap is now flat regardless of the CBO.

* The league announced US$84Mil-ish in Cap pre-COVID.
So, the solution is - just honour that "figure" as it's just accounting after all, while knowing there's all that new money-money-money coming down the pipeline less than a year away?
Short term pain for long term gain!
Jun. 25, 2020 at 9:17 a.m.
True

Right now, there are 4 teams UNDER 10M in cap room going into next year: Arizona 6,010,000 18/23 signed, Blues 7,472,501 21/23 signed, Maple Leafs 9,091,467 17/23 Signed, Lightning 9,833,334 15/23 signed. There are also 4 teams above 30M in cap room next year. Devils, Sabres, Red Wings, Senators. The AVERAGE space available per team is 19,607,169.16. There is plenty of space, this might just be a year in which players take shorter deals and then theres a real big FA next year when the cap goes back up. Some teams like the lightning are going to have to get creative to move some of their higher priced guys to make room for some of their rfa deals they will need to sign. thats what happens when you have a good team and you over extend players with no movement or trade clauses... most of the teams that have cap problems are poor gming and less on the impact of covid. 2.5m difference between what they were projecting and what will actually happen shouldnt cause a cbo. if that cap drops 10m instead of staying flat and the average cap space for teams is 9m then you might have an issue. but when the average is 19m and only a handful have cap issues. thats the handful of teams problem, not the players problem.
McGruff liked this.
Jun. 25, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
Right now, there are 4 teams UNDER 10M in cap room going into next year: Arizona 6,010,000 18/23 signed, Blues 7,472,501 21/23 signed, Maple Leafs 9,091,467 17/23 Signed, Lightning 9,833,334 15/23 signed. There are also 4 teams above 30M in cap room next year. Devils, Sabres, Red Wings, Senators. The AVERAGE space available per team is 19,607,169.16. There is plenty of space, this might just be a year in which players take shorter deals and then theres a real big FA next year when the cap goes back up. Some teams like the lightning are going to have to get creative to move some of their higher priced guys to make room for some of their rfa deals they will need to sign. thats what happens when you have a good team and you over extend players with no movement or trade clauses... most of the teams that have cap problems are poor gming and less on the impact of covid. 2.5m difference between what they were projecting and what will actually happen shouldnt cause a cbo. if that cap drops 10m instead of staying flat and the average cap space for teams is 9m then you might have an issue. but when the average is 19m and only a handful have cap issues. thats the handful of teams problem, not the players problem.

A lot more teams have Cap Issues than you’re saying though
So many of those teams have a bunch of players needing to be signed

Free agents this year are gonna get screwed,
and that IS a problem for players
Jun. 26, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
A lot more teams have Cap Issues than you’re saying though
So many of those teams have a bunch of players needing to be signed

Free agents this year are gonna get screwed,
and that IS a problem for players

i watched the bruins sign mcavoy, carlo, heinen, etc with about 11m in cap space. teams that arent the maple leafs or the lightning wont really have a problem. The sharks? wont have a problem, the rangers? wont have a problem.

So basically to summarize you think this one group of free agents is more special than the players that already have contracts... so we should buy the players with the contracts out to give that same money to the free agents this year? You havent told me how this is actually a problem yet with any specific examples. "alot more teams have cap issues than you're saying though" doesnt give me any specific examples. If players were willing to take xyz deals at this cap amount last year, they should be fine this year. some players are going to have to take bridge deals, some players are going to still get paid, they just will be paid on other teams (strome/deangelo/georgiev).

Teams might have to sacrifice signing a player or letting one go, such is the nature with free agency and a hard cap league.
Jun. 26, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
i watched the bruins sign mcavoy, carlo, heinen, etc with about 11m in cap space. teams that arent the maple leafs or the lightning wont really have a problem. The sharks? wont have a problem, the rangers? wont have a problem.

So basically to summarize you think this one group of free agents is more special than the players that already have contracts... so we should buy the players with the contracts out to give that same money to the free agents this year? You havent told me how this is actually a problem yet with any specific examples. "alot more teams have cap issues than you're saying though" doesnt give me any specific examples. If players were willing to take xyz deals at this cap amount last year, they should be fine this year. some players are going to have to take bridge deals, some players are going to still get paid, they just will be paid on other teams (strome/deangelo/georgiev).

Teams might have to sacrifice signing a player or letting one go, such is the nature with free agency and a hard cap league.

Do i really need to break down EVERY team’s Cap situation?

And CBOs are NOT a bad thing for the players who get bought out
They get 75% of their remaining contract still
And almost all of them will still sign deals to play elsewhere
Take Okposo for example
He played really well for us in a 3rd line roll last year
But 6mil for his offensive production obviously sucks
That doesn’t mean he’s outta the league
He’d still be a good bottom6 player for a team for 2mil per
And he’d have an opportunity to go to a team with a better chance to win than us
I’m sure he’d LOVE a CBO

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit