SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Backes is BACK...

Backes starts in Round 3
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 26, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: Jdfitz77
Do i really need to break down EVERY team’s Cap situation?

And CBOs are NOT a bad thing for the players who get bought out
They get 75% of their remaining contract still
And almost all of them will still sign deals to play elsewhere
Take Okposo for example
He played really well for us in a 3rd line roll last year
But 6mil for his offensive production obviously sucks
That doesn’t mean he’s outta the league
He’d still be a good bottom6 player for a team for 2mil per
And he’d have an opportunity to go to a team with a better chance to win than us
I’m sure he’d LOVE a CBO

Great scenario. Okposo isnt worth 6m youre right. but at 32 years old whos signing him to 2m per for the next 3 years to make up for the 25% in lost wages? 1 more concussion and the guys career is probably over, so im not sure why any team would want okposo at 2m? You also keep talking about how all these teams have cap problems and have their own guys to sign... so now you are adding 31 MORE players into a free agent pool where there will be less money given out due to no rise in salary cap. Im sure okposo would love to make the 6m per year over the next 3 years which should be guaranteed vs going to free agency and hoping to get a 3 year deal worth 1.5+. If he was having a 40 point season again and they wanted to buy him out i could see him getting a better deal on top of the 75% but he was on par for a mid 20 point season, add in his injury history not many if any teams would touch him.
Jun. 26, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.

Take Okposo for example
And he’d have an opportunity to go to a team with a better chance to win than us
I’m sure he’d LOVE a CBO

Also, you dont need to break down EVERY team but you say more teams have issues than the ones i listed so give me literally any team that has cap issues and what player they are cbo'ing that would be better suited for the open market than his current deal.
Jun. 26, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG

Take Okposo for example
I’m sure he’d LOVE a CBO

You stick to your guns Fitzy I'll give ya that; go-go-go...
Loui - MODO
Backes - ECHL
Alzner, Ladd, Schnieder, Smith - KHL
M Jones - ATOM
Lucic - ASHL (Langley Men's League)
etc. etc.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: McGruff
You stick to your guns Fitzy I'll give ya that; go-go-go...
Loui - MODO
Backes - ECHL
Alzner, Ladd, Schnieder, Smith - KHL
M Jones - ATOM
Lucic - ASHL (Langley Men's League)
etc. etc.

Lol
Any of those guys could just as easily end up in the AHL with their crappy contracts too
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
Also, you dont need to break down EVERY team but you say more teams have issues than the ones i listed so give me literally any team that has cap issues and what player they are cbo'ing that would be better suited for the open market than his current deal.

None of the players bought out would get a better deal on the open market
But most would still sign somewhere
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
Great scenario. Okposo isnt worth 6m youre right. but at 32 years old whos signing him to 2m per for the next 3 years to make up for the 25% in lost wages? 1 more concussion and the guys career is probably over, so im not sure why any team would want okposo at 2m? You also keep talking about how all these teams have cap problems and have their own guys to sign... so now you are adding 31 MORE players into a free agent pool where there will be less money given out due to no rise in salary cap. Im sure okposo would love to make the 6m per year over the next 3 years which should be guaranteed vs going to free agency and hoping to get a 3 year deal worth 1.5+. If he was having a 40 point season again and they wanted to buy him out i could see him getting a better deal on top of the 75% but he was on par for a mid 20 point season, add in his injury history not many if any teams would touch him.

No, he wouldn’t get a 3year deal
1 or 2 years I’d think

And I’m not gonna feel sorry for these guys that would get bought out
It’s their fault for NOT PERFORMING
Jun. 29, 2020 at 10:05 a.m.
No, he wouldn’t get a 3year deal
1 or 2 years I’d think

And I’m not gonna feel sorry for these guys that would get bought out
It’s their fault for NOT PERFORMING

so then if okposo only gets a 1 or 2 year deal... he loses money. So again, why would okposo, who has serious injury risk, want to be bought out to try and get a suitable contract to get back the 25% he loses in the buyout? Its a physically demanding sport. Guys degrade with wear and tear. Thats literally the risk with free agency is you are typically getting a couple good years at best with most players. teams typically get cost controlled young guys through the first couple years of their prime.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 10:07 a.m.
None of the players bought out would get a better deal on the open market
But most would still sign somewhere

So then you're statement that players would benefit from being bought out is a lie. And you are being selfish as a fan because your selective team probably has a contract or 2 that the value just isnt there and you would use the cap savings on better players. i.e. buffalo with okposo. I get it, but theres a major difference between teams NEEDING a cbo, and teams benefitting from a CBO.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 2:09 p.m.
So then you're statement that players would benefit from being bought out is a lie. And you are being selfish as a fan because your selective team probably has a contract or 2 that the value just isnt there and you would use the cap savings on better players. i.e. buffalo with okposo. I get it, but theres a major difference between teams NEEDING a cbo, and teams benefitting from a CBO.

Wanna go back & quote where i said it would be a BENEFIT?
I bet ya can’t

You sound utterly ridiculous bc you’re arguing against things
I DIDN’T EVEN SAY
*and i didn’t imply that either

You’re something else dude
Jun. 29, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
Idk that a CBO is bad for the players though?
They still get PAID 75% of their contract (i believe),
and they become free agents & can sign with whoever

Yes, i do think most of the players who’d get bought out would get deals
Short term, and not a lot of $$$
But yeah... most would still be playing
And if not... they just got a big chunk of the remainder of their contract to spend time with their kids
Not a bad life

What kind of “strings” do u think could be attached?

Only #1 applies to the CBOs
And like i said, players still get paid a chunk of change & most will get contracts to play still

Take Okposo for example
I’m sure he’d LOVE a CBO

Im not sure how that doesnt essentially say the players would benefit from a CBO... you are trying to say all or most of the 31 will move on and find a new team. how many of those 31 actually get to recoup the 25% they miss out on by buying them out. CBO is a bailout to incompetent gms who give out contracts to anyone based on past performances. ide bet at least 5 people come out and get bad contracts in this free agent class with or without a cbo.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 4:58 p.m.
Im not sure how that doesnt essentially say the players would benefit from a CBO... you are trying to say all or most of the 31 will move on and find a new team. how many of those 31 actually get to recoup the 25% they miss out on by buying them out. CBO is a bailout to incompetent gms who give out contracts to anyone based on past performances. ide bet at least 5 people come out and get bad contracts in this free agent class with or without a cbo.

It doesn’t at all
What is says, OVER & OVER, is that they’d still get a good chunk of their contract
It also says most would still sign another contract

And yeah, specifically in Okposo’s case,
I’m quite sure he’d be happy to give up 25% of his contract so he could sign another one with a team who has a better chance to win

Sorry you’re reading comprehension skills are lacking,
but so is your argument
Jun. 30, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
Edited Jun. 30, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
It doesn’t at all
What is says, OVER & OVER, is that they’d still get a good chunk of their contract
It also says most would still sign another contract

And yeah, specifically in Okposo’s case,
I’m quite sure he’d be happy to give up 25% of his contract so he could sign another one with a team who has a better chance to win

Sorry you’re reading comprehension skills are lacking,
but so is your argument

First, why does every player have to want to win? i know thats the ultimate goal for most guys (iginla, backes, etc...) but you think a guy like skinner cares if he wins or how much he gets paid... okposo a guy who could literally die with another real bad concussion... should want every penny he can get right now to provide for his health and family for the rest of his life. If there is no cbo he gets 100% of his contract, if there is a cbo I would put money on him not recouping 100% value on his contract. And the amount owed left is still significant, maybe your gm shouldnt be stupid and sign player to bad contracts.

Second. You still havent told me how 31 extra free agents likely older and not playing up to potential are going to beat out the other FA's out there right now and also land on a winning team?
Jun. 30, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
First, why does every player have to want to win? i know thats the ultimate goal for most guys (iginla, backes, etc...) but you think a guy like skinner cares if he wins or how much he gets paid... okposo a guy who could literally die with another real bad concussion... should want every penny he can get right now to provide for his health and family for the rest of his life. If there is no cbo he gets 100% of his contract, if there is a cbo I would put money on him not recouping 100% value on his contract. And the amount owed left is still significant, maybe your gm shouldnt be stupid and sign player to bad contracts.

Second. You still havent told me how 31 extra free agents likely older and not playing up to potential are going to beat out the other FA's out there right now and also land on a winning team?

U can try to twist & turn it how u want
But it doesn’t make u more right

Literally EVERY hockey player talks about winning the Cup
Especially Vets who haven’t won it yet

Your reach FAR exceeds your grasp
And it shows
Jul. 1, 2020 at 9:08 a.m.
U can try to twist & turn it how u want
But it doesn’t make u more right

Literally EVERY hockey player talks about winning the Cup
Especially Vets who haven’t won it yet

Your reach FAR exceeds your grasp
And it shows

So to summarize, your thoughts are selfish, you only want the CBO because it would benefit your team and help your team get rid of some dead weight. Listen as a fan i get it. I would have loved a CBO for backes if we hadnt already traded him. But dont try and say any player would welcome a CBO. And you are telling me, okposo thought when he signed in buffalo they were a stanley cup caliber team. they were the 8th worst team in the NHL when he signed.... So again you think EVERY single player signs with teams thinking they are going to win a cup? you think jeff skinner signs a 9m extension with the 5th worst team in the league because he thinks they are going to be a stanley cup contender soon? Some players are just out for the money.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
So to summarize, your thoughts are selfish, you only want the CBO because it would benefit your team and help your team get rid of some dead weight. Listen as a fan i get it. I would have loved a CBO for backes if we hadnt already traded him. But dont try and say any player would welcome a CBO. And you are telling me, okposo thought when he signed in buffalo they were a stanley cup caliber team. they were the 8th worst team in the NHL when he signed.... So again you think EVERY single player signs with teams thinking they are going to win a cup? you think jeff skinner signs a 9m extension with the 5th worst team in the league because he thinks they are going to be a stanley cup contender soon? Some players are just out for the money.

So much of that is wrong I’m not really even gonna bother

Go back & read Okposo’s quotes when he was signing here
You’re clueless dude
Jul. 1, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
So much of that is wrong I’m not really even gonna bother

Go back & read Okposo’s quotes when he was signing here
You’re clueless dude

The ONLY quote ive found from okposo when he signed in buffalo "So excited to join the sabres organization and the Buffalo community. Thanks for all the welcoming messages, can't wait to get going!" Sounds like a generic response for a top Free Agent signing. However i dont see anything mentioning he thinks the team is a contender, even talks about the cup. He also says he cant wait to play with eichel or RoR because RoR is one of the toughest guys to play against. Lastly excited to be reunited with matt moulson... So yeah I think like a fair amount of athletes, this particular guy went for the biggest bag of cash he could get regardless of situation.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit