Forums/Armchair-GM

Screw Paul Marner

Created by: Agent_Of_R9
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2019
Published: May 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Honestly, it seems very unlikely for Mitch Marner to return to Toronto next season. The relationship between the organization and Mitch’s father has become very sour. Paul has made numerous of negative comments towards the team regarding their treatment of Mitch. He feels that his son has been disrespected and under appreciated. He says the Leafs don’t understand what an important and valuable player Mitch is to their team. He claims the organization never gave Mitch a fair opportunity to be the franchise’s cornerstone as they sent him down to junior as soon as he got drafted and only played him on a line with Bozak in his rookie season. Paul feels the Leafs never put Mitch in a position to be successful as he wasn’t given enough support. Marner’s camp are looking for justice from the Toronto Maple Leafs, that’s why they are demanding an AAV of 12 million plus the captaincy. To me, that almost seems impossible. Mitch is my favourite player and I want him to stay, but as much as it hurts to accept it, this is the sad reality. It’s very difficult to make a deal happen when the situation has become as tense as this.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$10,000,000
3$3,000,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (BUF)
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
  3. 2021 1st round pick (BUF)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (BUF)
TOR
  1. 2019 7th round pick (DET)
TOR
  1. Ellis, Ryan ($1,250,000 retained)
NSH
  1. Brooks, Adam
  2. Engvall, Pierre
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$81,358,032$0$265,000$2,141,968

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$805,833$805,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 12, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
Banned
He’s not wrong..... ha. Sometimes the truth is hard to accept smile
May 12, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Maple Leafs Believer
nah i think were fine, no comfirmed sources of marner saying he wants 12 mil average, plus the leafs will rid of Nylander, Kadri, Zaitsev, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc before they even think about losing Marner
May 12, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
Maple Leafs Believer
Quoting: Vortex
nah i think were fine, no comfirmed sources of marner saying he wants 12 mil average, plus the leafs will rid of Nylander, Kadri, Zaitsev, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc before they even think about losing Marner

besides lets say Marner is offer-sheeted, he'll get over 10.5 if he getting pulled out of toronto and give the leafs 4 1st round picks, or they can hit a blockbuster trade that could work in favour of the leafs, im not worried about that though, marner will be a leaf next year.
May 12, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Well Paul Marner maybe pissed but the leafs will match that offer and he will be back. The issue to me if this is true is his father forgets his son is a winger who before this season had issues defensively. So putting him with one of the better 2 way centers and the best LW the team had was in the teams best interest. Also as a winger they are paid less than centers thats a fact Kutcherov is arguably the best winger in the NHL right now and is getting 3 million less than the best center in this league. My point is if he thought they would match Matthews salary seeing they are equally important to this team unfortunately as a winger they are paid less so if Mitch Marner loves playing for the leafs he will need to except this fact and like Matthews take what he feels is a 2 million discount and get practally the bulk as a bonus making it strike proof of wait to get offersheeted and get paid probably like you propose .5 million more and maybe even longer term and make far less overall due to less endorsment $.
May 12, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
Banned
No one has yet to make a logical reason he should take less than 11.6
Which is where I believe he will sign.
THis is hockey. Players don't have to play second fiddle on the ice. They can be put on their own line. But that also means they are going to want paid.
The shelled out big money for JT last year. Come tell me you would rather pay JT 11 million a year than Marner. And you will see rather easily why he's going to get paid.
capsin9 liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: PuckPal
if Mitch Marner loves playing for the leafs he will need to except this fact and like Matthews take what he feels is a 2 million discount

Does that pisses me off, when i see ppl blindly claiming Matthews took 2M discount to "help TML"
Zwui21 and Unbeleafable liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Does that pisses me off, when i see ppl blindly claiming Matthews took 2M discount to "help TML"

I said matthews felt was a 2 million dollar discount.
May 12, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
THis is hockey. Players don't have to play second fiddle on the ice. They can be put on their own line. But that also means they are going to want paid.
The shelled out big money for JT last year. Come tell me you would rather pay JT 11 million a year than Marner. And you will see rather easily why he's going to get paid.

Marner is a winger.
Rantanen and Point are both better FA's that likely won't sign for over 10.
No winger makes over 10.5 and def not in a RFA contract year.
Marners point skyrocketed playing with an elite C and JT's slightly increased (All JT's wingers have done this)
Marner gets more endorsement money in Toronto than any other team can offer him in terms of cap/endorsements total.

It's an easy concept to understand. Marner won't be back on Toronto over 10.5, but he'll almost certainly be back.
Unbeleafable liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Lol.. chill. Nylander's dad had the same issues just didn't go public with them and a deal still got done with Nylander. What's Marner's dad supposed to say? That he thinks his son isn't the best or he doesn't deserve more money? Comeon'. It's a business first. A sport second. Players all fight for more money and teams always fight for less. It's just amplified because it's the Toronto media. If he played for Florida there would be no issues. Relax. A deal will get done.

As for saying "Honestly, it seems very unlikely for Mitch Marner to return to Toronto next season." you better source that or you look foolish. There's been nothing that's come out saying that he's unlikely to return. Leafs want him back and he wants to be there. It's actually far more likely that he is back than not.
aedoran and Unbeleafable liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
I said matthews felt was a 2 million dollar discount.

Don't disagree with him. He thinks he's always right and will never admit to being wrong. Not worth your time
May 12, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Vortex

That’s the thing though. Everyone is talking about Kapanen, Johnsson, Nylander, Kadri or Brown possibly not returning next year but no one expects Marner to be the odd man out.
May 12, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.

How about the fact no team in their right mind will make marner the highest paid winger. This is due to that it hurt them in future negotiations. For example if a team like the islanders did Brazel is now worth 13 million due to he is putting up similar numbers and a center. That's just an example of the mess just within the team cap wise. Then every other team will be pissed at you for doing this cause every player comming off RFA are now worth almost 10% more than they are based off this contract. Ask oiler fans how much it helped them offersheeting i read somewheres where 75% of the other teams refused to trade with edmonton in that period unless they overpaid due to compensation they felt they deserved for inflating RFA contracts.
May 12, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
Banned
How about the fact no team in their right mind will make marner the highest paid winger. This is due to that it hurt them in future negotiations. For example if a team like the islanders did Brazel is now worth 13 million due to he is putting up similar numbers and a center. That's just an example of the mess just within the team cap wise. Then every other team will be pissed at you for doing this cause every player comming off RFA are now worth almost 10% more than they are based off this contract. Ask oiler fans how much it helped them offersheeting i read somewheres where 75% of the other teams refused to trade with edmonton in that period unless they overpaid due to compensation they felt they deserved for inflating RFA contracts.

dude they already screwed that up with Nylander.

Also you can stop calling Marner a winger. He can play center. He's done it before. And he's not a Kucherov type winger anyway. He's a Kane line winger, who was also one of the highest paid players in the league when he signed his deal.
capsin9 liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TheDream_43
Marner is a winger.
Rantanen and Point are both better FA's that likely won't sign for over 10.
No winger makes over 10.5 and def not in a RFA contract year.
Marners point skyrocketed playing with an elite C and JT's slightly increased (All JT's wingers have done this)
Marner gets more endorsement money in Toronto than any other team can offer him in terms of cap/endorsements total.

It's an easy concept to understand. Marner won't be back on Toronto over 10.5, but he'll almost certainly be back.

Marner is as much a winger as Kane or Panarin. They may play wing, but the offense goes through them. You can just stop that lame argument right there. Because much like Kane, he's going to be one of the highest paid players in the league when he signs his deal.
May 12, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Well Paul Marner maybe pissed but the leafs will match that offer and he will be back. The issue to me if this is true is his father forgets his son is a winger who before this season had issues defensively. So putting him with one of the better 2 way centers and the best LW the team had was in the teams best interest. Also as a winger they are paid less than centers thats a fact Kutcherov is arguably the best winger in the NHL right now and is getting 3 million less than the best center in this league. My point is if he thought they would match Matthews salary seeing they are equally important to this team unfortunately as a winger they are paid less so if Mitch Marner loves playing for the leafs he will need to except this fact and like Matthews take what he feels is a 2 million discount and get practally the bulk as a bonus making it strike proof of wait to get offersheeted and get paid probably like you propose .5 million more and maybe even longer term and make far less overall due to less endorsment $.

The issue is not on the money at this point. Paul Marner feels disrespected by the Leafs organization and simply doesn’t want his son to return next season. He thinks Mitch should be recognized as the Leafs best player and be considered for captaincy. He says the Leafs don’t treat Mitch as one of their star players and don’t appreciate the value he brings to the team. Even if the Leafs pay him 11.5 million, neither sides will be happy. Paul Marner would happily take 10 million in any other market, as long as his son gets to be the number one player.
May 12, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Marner is as much a winger as Kane or Panarin. They may play wing, but the offense goes through them. You can just stop that lame argument right there. Because much like Kane, he's going to be one of the highest paid players in the league when he signs his deal.

and Kane was a winger who signed for 10.5 million as a UFA.
May 12, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: TheDream_43
and Kane was a winger who signed for 10.5 million as a UFA.

Exactly and the league took Kane's contract as an isolated situation seeing Teows took 2 million less on the premise that it went to Kane. Also, Panarin is going to be closer to 9.5 on a 7 year deal especially seeing he has rumoured to be only interested in a NY market and has only really 1 team bidding from that matket.
May 12, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: MichaelFu
The issue is not on the money at this point. Paul Marner feels disrespected by the Leafs organization and simply doesn’t want his son to return next season. He thinks Mitch should be recognized as the Leafs best player and be considered for captaincy. He says the Leafs don’t treat Mitch as one of their star players and don’t appreciate the value he brings to the team. Even if the Leafs pay him 11.5 million, neither sides will be happy. Paul Marner would happily take 10 million in any other market, as long as his son gets to be the number one player.

The issue is his son is an RFA so he has no choice but to play for them if the match.
May 12, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
The issue is his son is an RFA so he has no choice but to play for them if the match.

The Leafs are not going to match. The front office is annoyed and angered by Paul Marner to the point in which they could care less if Mitch returns. The team will not offer more than 8.5 million.
May 12, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
Exactly and the league took Kane's contract as an isolated situation seeing Teows took 2 million less on the premise that it went to Kane. Also, Panarin is going to be closer to 9.5 on a 7 year deal especially seeing he has rumoured to be only interested in a NY market and has only really 1 team bidding from that matket.

The TSN and Sportsnet media brainwashed people to the Marner is the greatest player of all time, it doesn't even make sense. Nylander was slandered last year for asking more than the leafs wanted to pay and Marner in the exact same situation is being lowballed and undercut by the leafs. Marner is an excellent winger, and hopefully, he's a life long leaf. That being said, his closest (Highest) comparable is Draisitl when he signed for 8.5. With inflation that is still under 10 million. Mind you he also plays C a lot and was considered to be extremely overpaid by many for the year that followed.
May 12, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
Buds all day
Either this is deeply sarcastic or very pessimistic...

cheer up man, your boy will be back. Its called leverage and its a 2 way street
TheDream_43 and Unbeleafable liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
I love Marner but anything over 10.5 you take the 4 firsts and sign a big name FA. (If unsigned still they could turn around and offersheet Point just under 10m and Tampa either can't match and we lose much less picks than we gained or we cap strap our biggest competition next year.)
May 12, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
dude they already screwed that up with Nylander.

Also you can stop calling Marner a winger. He can play center. He's done it before. And he's not a Kucherov type winger anyway. He's a Kane line winger, who was also one of the highest paid players in the league when he signed his deal.

He maybe able to cover at center but he has never been considered to play center even last year when Matthews got injured and why though a talanted playmaker he is to strong enough to play center. He actually in Junior was put on the wing and Tkachuk was the center in London due to it. Also, Nylander had a bad year but his market value was around 6.5- 7 thats where most analysts and scouts had his value. Was it close to that?
May 12, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned
He maybe able to cover at center but he has never been considered to play center even last year when Matthews got injured and why though a talanted playmaker he is to strong enough to play center. He actually in Junior was put on the wing and Tkachuk was the center in London due to it. Also, Nylander had a bad year but his market value was around 6.5- 7 thats where most analysts and scouts had his value. Was it close to that?

20 goal scoring RFA weren't worth 7 million a year till Toronto screwed that up.
To think Marner can't play center is ****.
The only real difference between a center and a kane style winger is who takes more faceoffs. But anyone who watched McDavid play knows you don't have to actually win faceoffs to be considered a great center.
capsin9 liked this.
May 12, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Edited May 12, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
Don't disagree with him. He thinks he's always right and will never admit to being wrong. Not worth your time

Snowflake, you are doing it again....

i told you already....if you are poking the bear, expect the reaction, i dont want you to end crying in the corner again

Avoid me, dont try to impress others with going against me and you will be fine...otherwise you know how it will end, you pushing report button from your moms basement room.....having tears in your eyes and yelling i should leave you alone, while you instigated it....again
Unbeleafable liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll