SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

How do we trade lucic

May 14, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Just posting this so that we can all talk about how the hell Edmonton gets lucic out of YEG.
Leave suggestions down below and lets try to logically solve this issue
May 14, 2019 at 3:54 p.m.
I wish I had a better answer, but contracts like Lucic's are basically dead cap, killer to any team that has any hope of contending over the next 4 years. Lucic, Zaitsev, Kesler, and Perry have such little positive impact on a team even without their bloated/lengthy contracts (Suter and Parise arent far behind).
May 14, 2019 at 3:58 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: HtotheBtotheM
I wish I had a better answer, but contracts like Lucic's are basically dead cap, killer to any team that has any hope of contending over the next 4 years. Lucic, Zaitsev, Kesler, and Perry have such little positive impact on a team even without their bloated/lengthy contracts (Suter and Parise arent far behind).

The only way i see him moving is if something similar to what I posted happens. Where a team looking to hit the floor takes 2mil of his contract and becomes a middle man to a three team deal seeing him in Vancouver for cheap. While the Oilers get basically nothing back and retain 2mil. Vancouver gets a cheap thrid/fourth line option and the middle team gets sweetners for taking on the extra 2mil to make the deal happen
May 14, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
With MTL: Lucic + 8th + Samorukov for Hudon and 15th overall
May 14, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
Beanmachine
Maybe give Tanya Harding a call she might have some ideas on how to get him on LTIR
jjkhairaELTE99 and Earfgang liked this.
May 14, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
The thing with any Lucic "move" is that a scenario is needed for it to make sense. Edm has to realize that there is no "good" move here. Only less painful ones.

3 main factors need to be thought about.

- If its by trade, does the move help Lucic? (He has a NMC so he decides everything. He has to be on board with it)
- If it is a buyout, does the fact of not having Lucic on the roster anymore (along with some small cap saving) help EDM enough in and tangible way?
- Is EDM going for it this year? Win now at all cost or take their time correctly assembling their roster? (Quick'ish retool)

If EDM didn't give a damn about picks, they could just package the 1st 2019 with Lucic to Montreal. Habs have the cap to take Lucic on, MB has had interest in Lucic before/Julien has history with Lucic and adding picks fits in MTL's timeline of what they're doing right now.
But we know that isn't realistic........ That 1st rounder is more valuable than anything losing lucic would bring on and the cost from any other team has to be high enough as Lucic is a major contractual problem to take on. So it'll come down to specific scenario's happening which will decide Lucic being moved out or simply bought out.

The buyout scenario is probably the most realistic but least fun. EDM decides that simply not having Lucic on the roster is an addition by subtraction. His aura no longer hangs over the team and the media no longer have a Chiarelli scapegoat to talk about. Its a intangible benefit mainly but believe it or not, does have some tangible worth. There is some small cap and salary saving but not enough for it to be a real big difference so its mainly the roster clearance here.

The trades people have mentioned to me that make the most sense also all depend on specific scenarios taking place.

- Ryan for Lucic idea. This only makes sense in one scenario. Melnyk's hunger for being as cheap as possible at all cost. Technically speaking, if Ott trades Ryan for Lucic, they could then buyout Lucic and save "X" cap and salary. Means Melnyk saves money for new Lebreton flats ideas. Lol DISCLAIMER: Lucic still needs to ok this as he has a NMC. The idea would be knowing that either EDM or Ott will buy him out, what difference does it make to him, right? So he should not care either way. Ryan although way overpaid, is still a decent player when healthy. The premise here is that they pay slightly more with Ryan to get a player who could actually help them in the top 6. Not to mention one less year on the contract if my memory serves correct.

- Lucic traded with 50% retnetion to 3 different teams so that everyone takes a bit of the cap burden but at a cost. I personally think this idea is absolutely folly and will never happen. Cap is too precious, Lucic even at a much lesser cap is not a great player and the cost for EDM to get all this done would still amount to what they didn't want to give up in the first place so whats the point? They'll still be stuck with 50% of his cap, they'd still have to send a couple decent picks and or prospects in order to get rid of his contract in the first place, Lucic would have to agree to the trade knowing he may play in Arizona..... etc (If its me (Lucic) I would be spiteful and tell management to buy me out if you don't want me). The culmination of all these factors makes this idea IMO not plausible but i'll leave it here since others think its could happen.

- (Bias incoming) My trade idea of Lucic+1st EDM for Alzner+1st MTL or a similar type trade scenario but bias a side, I truly feel this one gives the best bang for the dollar. Both teams get what they want without feeling like they are "losing" the trade. MTL moves up in the draft to hopefully draft a better player. EDM moves down in the draft but still at 15th get a solid prospect. MTL adds Lucic who is a former Julien player, MB has expressed interest in Lucic in free agency before and they slightly increase their cap which they don't care since they have plenty of so real harm done. EDM gets a much easier buyout player with more bang for their buyout buck and use that money towards better players on the roster, not to mention the getting rid of the NMC they'll have to protect in the expansion draft. (Montreal having oodles of cap space will eventually buyout Lucic before the expansion draft though)

The last scenario to be determined in what is EDM trying to do? If its full on panic that McDavid is frustrated with the organization and may want out, then EDM has very little time to react and will need to outright lose the deal. If they convince McDavid that the only way to be the team they want to be is a 2 year process of small wins when they can, then there is absolutely no need to move Lucic at all. Keep him as a 4th liner until you HAVE to buy him out.

Final conclusion? I'm in Holland shoes?........ I tell McDavid, give me two years to make this better. Everyones still young enough and its not going to be a 5 year rebuild. Just a 2 year restructure which within that time they can still try to win, its not like they are tanking they just aren't actively tryingt o win now. Basically only the time needed for Chiarelli's errors to be eradicated/phased out. There is no quick solution in EDM. No magic wand that Steve Yzerman/Kyle Dubas/every other GM in the league could do to make it all go away so either McDavid gets on board or he'll just have to sulk for the remaining time here in EDM because under no circumstances will management trade him. Seeing McDavid's personality, I can't fathom him asking for a trade. he'll honor his contract and simply leave in free agency if he's unhappy.

So if its "screw you, win now or else"? Trade Lucic with the 1st rounder this year to get rid of that cap. Buyout Sekera unless you can trade him with less retention than his buyout cap. Trade Russell with retention for a pick. Use all available money to sway top end UFA's to come to EDM this year and next. Go for it while you have McDavid on contract.

If its the second (Daenarys Targaryen) option, "Ok you got two years, betray me again and I'll burn you alive". awesome face
- Keep all draft picks and prospects. Don't trade a single one.
- Don't trade any cap dumps at a major loss for as long as possible unless they either finish their contract or in Lucic's case, need to be bought out to not count against the expansion draft. Only trade anyone unless its a small price to pay or you're actually getting some value back.
- Start finding the best garbage bin pickups known to man. Waivers/UFA's/etc.
- Spend money/cap sparingly or on sure things.
- Be patient and wait for deals to pop up and then pounce. Toronto/TB/Pittsburgh cap situations sell offs, teams giving up on prospects, take other teams 1 year cap dumps for value back, make expansion draft deals in advance, etc.

By the end of the expansion draft, with a little luck* (Ok a fair amount of luck), the Oilers should have their entire core consisting of players they drafted, most of their bad contracts gone, plenty of cap space to use on "sure thing " UFA's and a clear cut direction for the team with every year technically being better than the one previous as players enter their prime and young players evolve.

IMO the second option is the only REAL option for EDM, obviously it can have some variations of what I said would happen but the crux has to be 2 years of taking small steps to being a great team. All other scenarios involve the team being effected by one mis-step (Bound to happen at least once) rather than the owner having to taking the hit in the pocket book for years of mismanagement. Although EDM fans will fill the arena no matter what so this team shouldn't "lose" money. It just might not make any in the first couple years of this retool for example. (No playoff sales, merchandise sales down, etc)
jjkhairaELTE99 liked this.
May 14, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
Simpleton
Most conceivable trades that might move Lucic seem to carry costs that quickly outweigh the benefits. Unless another GM really wants Lucic, he is likely staying in Edmonton. Holland will likely have more success clearing cap space without hurting the organization by focusing of deals involving Sekera and Russell. If he can move all, or most, of that $9,500,000 out he will have plenty of room to improve the team.
May 14, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: math731
With MTL: Lucic + 8th + Samorukov for Hudon and 15th overall

Samorukov Proved too Much this year.He's ceiling is sky high at this point in time so EDM would deal him period. I'd rather deal away a jones/Bear/Stapin/Yamo if im edmonton since they are more tradeable
May 29, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: jjkhairaELTE99
Just posting this so that we can all talk about how the hell Edmonton gets lucic out of YEG.

Why do we need to move Lucic? He's a serviceable bottom-6 player, albeit overpaid for what he does. There are easier - and less painful - ways to clear cap space going forward.
oilersfan089 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: jjkhairaELTE99

I'm with CD282, Lucic should be kept in Edmonton for now. Russel and/or Sekera should be moved this summer instead. Jones, Bear, and Lagesson are all needing ice time in the NHL so they can improve their games, but the Oilers have too many dmen currently signed, making it hard to give them all adequate time. So going off what others said for a Lucic trade, I'd suggest working one of them into a "move down" trade; send Russel/Sekera + 8th to a team that wants to move up and is also in need of more capable veteran dmen that can play 20min a game if needed. Maybe even get back a forward that has a similar contract (2-4mil) to help fill out the Oilers depth up front.

Lucic will need to be dealt with before the Seattle expansion draft, but might as well give him another season to see if he can bounce back. There's been rumors about a possible Lucic for Eriksson (Van) trade, but this only makes sense if Edmonton can do it without giving up a valuable pick/prospect. If Van is demanding a 2nd rnd pick or a prospect like Benson, then this is obviously a terrible idea; Edmonton needs all the low salary young talent they can get right now.
Jun. 25, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
Ryno
Well, first thing's first, Lucic isn't going anywhere until his signing bonus is paid on July 1.

Really, the only option is to Vancouver, who has few bad contracts on the books with term (Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson), has oodles of cap space with which to work, and a GM who doesn't exactly have a reputation for astute, shrewd manoeuvreing.

Pick one of the above, add in the appropriate amount of draft picks and prospects in proportion to the bad contract we are taking in return, and then hope to all that is holy that the trade call is made before someone talks some sense into Jim Benning.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: Ryno
Well, first thing's first, Lucic isn't going anywhere until his signing bonus is paid on July 1.

Really, the only option is to Vancouver, who has few bad contracts on the books with term (Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson), has oodles of cap space with which to work, and a GM who doesn't exactly have a reputation for astute, shrewd manoeuvreing.

Pick one of the above, add in the appropriate amount of draft picks and prospects in proportion to the bad contract we are taking in return, and then hope to all that is holy that the trade call is made before someone talks some sense into Jim Benning.

Roussel's is not a bad contract. Any swap of Lucic and Ericksson would necessitate draft picks coming to Vancouver due to term and the fact that it is the Oilers that are the team in need of cap space.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 1:01 p.m.
Ryno
Edited Jun. 26, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: PrisonBull
Roussel's is not a bad contract. Any swap of Lucic and Ericksson would necessitate draft picks coming to Vancouver due to term and the fact that it is the Oilers that are the team in need of cap space.

That's exactly what I meant. Even with Benning at the helm, there's zero chance Edmonton doesn't end up ponying the picks/prospects.

For example we might have to send a 2nd a 3rd with Lucic for Roussel, or retain some salary for a draft pick in return. For Beagle, maybe it's a 3rd and a 4th. For Eriksson, it might be a 5th or 6th.

Don't kid yourself that Roussel's not a bad contract, though. It most certainly is with 3 more years left when players of that ilk start rapidly declining. However, in relation to the others, it's certainly a whole lot more appetizing.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: PrisonBull

my thoughts exactly. I see a deal happening after july 1st when his signing bonus is paid since thats a hefty amount of money that nobody would want to pay

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll