SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Free Agency

May 15, 2019 at 10:28 p.m.
So having a discussion with someone regarding Free Agency. Revolving around Bobrovsky. Since he is a free agent and he goes to Florida CBJ gets nothing, this person I’m talking is saying if Fla signs him to a long term contact then CBJ gets draft picks. Now everything I have found that was prior to 2005. What is everyone else’s input on this.
May 15, 2019 at 10:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: bbenton
So having a discussion with someone regarding Free Agency. Revolving around Bobrovsky. Since he is a free agent and he goes to Florida CBJ gets nothing, this person I’m talking is saying if Fla signs him to a long term contact then CBJ gets draft picks. Now everything I have found that was prior to 2005. What is everyone else’s input on this.

I'm confused. If he signs with Florida in FA then CBJ doesn't get anything for him.
May 16, 2019 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: bbenton

Bobrovsky is an unrestricted free agent (UFA), meaning there's no compensation to his former team.
If another team signs a restricted free agent (RFA), they may owe the player's former team draft picks. Whether and which picks are involved depends on the size of the contract the player signs with his new team.

Follow the link above for this site's detailed FAQ about "offer sheets", related to RFAs.
May 16, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
Below Market Value
Your friend is probably thinking of a similar system in the MLB, where small-market teams get compensatory draft picks if they have qualified an upcoming free agent from their team and they sign elsewhere. The NFL also has a similar system. They could also be thinking of the offer sheet system, but that only applies to Restricted Free Agents, and Bobrovsky will be Unrestricted.

The only way Columbus will get compensation is if they decide to trade his rights, prior to July 1, to another team; but usually UFA rights only yield a return of a single draft pick in the 3rd-5th round range.
May 16, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Your friend is probably thinking of a similar system in the MLB, where small-market teams get compensatory draft picks if they have qualified an upcoming free agent from their team and they sign elsewhere. The NFL also has a similar system. They could also be thinking of the offer sheet system, but that only applies to Restricted Free Agents, and Bobrovsky will be Unrestricted.

The only way Columbus will get compensation is if they decide to trade his rights, prior to July 1, to another team; but usually UFA rights only yield a return of a single draft pick in the 3rd-5th round range.

Or if there's a condition on the pick it could be higher. I always look at the Keith Yandle trade as an example of what I think is really smart. There were 2 picks in the trade going to the Rangers for Yandle's rights. One was conditional on Yandle re-signing, the other was a for-sure pick. That's happened other times but I can only think of that one right now for some reason. Maybe because one of my teams was in the deal lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll