Forums/Armchair-GM

After Listening to Todays Bobcast

Created by: SpartanRZ09
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2019
Published: May 16, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
On today's Bobcast, Bob McKenzie mentioned what he thinks the Leafs will eventually sign Kapanen and Johnsson for.

The numbers were lower than I expected, so going based off his educated guess I just want to see what the roster might shape up to look like. Don't expect anything dramatic.

At the end of the day, I'm not an NHL GM, but like any other hockey fan I like to pretend every now and again. Some of you might think I hit nail on the head, and others will think that I'm completely out to lunch. Thats ok, just doing this for fun.

Few other things worth noting:

1. If the San Jose trade does not happen, I was also thinking of signing Brian Elliot to a one year deal. Elliot has proven that he can be reliable goalie at the NHL level. Yes, last year his numbers weren't great, but he spent most of the season injured and played on a bad Flyers team. However, with all the playoff experience he has, as well as the fact he has played at least 40 games a year for the past few seasons, I think he is great fit to take a chance on a one year deal. Also, should Andersen get hurt (knock on wood), Toronto could benefit from having an experienced NHL netminder like him.

2. Another possible trade scenario I considered involving Patrick Marleau is that Toronto pulls off something similar to what the Capitals did with Brooks Orpik last summer. The only reason why I didn't propose this is because I can't even begin to imagine what it would cost the Leafs. The Caps left a lot of high draft picks on the table for Grubauer, but they made the deal with Colorado in the end to gain the much needed cap space.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
2$3,000,000
2$800,000
8$10,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 7th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
The 7th round pick is acting as proxy. I have no idea what the true return would be. I would assume, Shero would ask Dubas to take back a contract the Devils would like to shed, but something that Toronto could probably bury in the AHL. It could even be something as simple as a 7th round pick. But for the time being, this draft pick is just a place holder.
NJD
  1. Horton, Nathan
  2. Zaitsev, Nikita
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
*This trade scenario could involve numerous teams with lots of cap space (Ottawa, Colorado, Carolina, Rangers also possibilities). The whole idea of this trade is that the Leafs will have to pay a small fortune to move Horton and Zaitsev. I chose New Jersey because I could see them taking a gamble on Zaitsev if they're compensated well.

**As far as what the compensation would be, again the 2nd round pick included in this deal is a proxy. When you look at past cap dump trades, the Panthers gave up Lawson Crowse to get rid of the Bolland contract. So considering the Leafs have various prospects in the AHL to offer New Jersey, there could be numerous combinations of possible trades. I'm just going to let Dubas and Shero figure this one out.
TOR
  1. Rattie, Ty [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Depending on how crazy Holland gets, Rattie might not have a roster spot next season. His time in Edmonton was decent, and it looked like at one point he could blossom into the Top 6 forward that Blues had originally envisioned him being.

Toronto needs players that can be signed for under $1 mill. Being a former 1st round pick I think its worth the gamble. Could be this years Tyler Ennis, and with enough luck, maybe he see's playing time beyond the 4th line? If he doesn't work out, can easily be demoted to the AHL.

I think a 4th round pick is fair. I thought about going as high as 3rd, maybe if there is a small bidding war Toronto could squeeze that out of a team, but for the time being I think a 4th fits in this scenario.
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
Additional Details:
I think this trade is pretty self explanatory. Oilers need to upgrade their offense with cap friendly deals, Brown has shown he has 20 goal potential (you would think that playing with one of Draisaitl or McDavid you could do that). Considering they paid Reider $2 mill on a one year deal, I can't help but feel Brown would be an upgrade.
TOR
  1. Dell, Aaron
  2. Roy, Jérémy
Additional Details:
*I know Leafs fans aren't going to like this but hear me out. The backup job has been a hot topic for quite some time. Keep in mind, I make this trade thinking along the lines of what Kyle Dubas would do. I don't Toronto has fully closed the door on Sparks yet, but they also can't go into next season with lackluster goalie depth. Dell needs a change of scenery, and looked good prior to this season. Him and Sparks can battle it out at training camp, by the end of it someone is going on waivers. If it's Sparks, Toronto has to hope he goes unclaimed. Here is the benefit of Dell, because he makes $1.9 mill, he will most likely pass through waivers...and thats ok. Most of his contract clears, and about $900,000 as an overage. Worst case scenario, Toronto has an overpaid 3rd goalie for one season. Best case scenario, Toronto gets the old Dell and he plays those much needed 25-30 games.

**Roy is interesting because he was a high draft pick by San Jose. I read about him online and from what I can tell he fits the bill in terms of what Kyle Dubas is looking for. He is also a right shot dman which is nice. His biggest issue is that he is prone to injuries. The only other thing I'm unsure of his how high San Jose values him. Considering they still have Merkley, Toronto is taking back a contract in the form of Dell, and they're also sending Justin Holl back the other way, I think this is fair compensation for a guy who probably needs at least another year in the AHL...or maybe he is a big surprise at training camp.
SJS
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Marleau, Patrick ($1,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I just want to point out that I realize this might be an unrealistic trade, but here is my logic as to why it could happen:

*The biggest obstacle that the Maple Leafs face in trading Marleau is that he completely controls where he goes. The thing to remember is that for better or for worse, Toronto was committed to Marleau for three years. At that stage in his career, having played all of it with San Jose, I'm still shocked he came to Toronto; I was even taken back a bit. A part of me wants to put the faith in Marleau in the same way he put his faith in the Leafs. For a guy that has yet to win a Cup, he must have really believed Toronto had a good shot to leave the only team he has ever known. At the same time however, Marleau understands the nature of the business, but he won't accept a trade anywhere. The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that return to San Jose is high on his list. The Sharks have a few free agent forwards that might not be brought back, so they'll have the cap space to make this happen. I think Toronto still retains a chunk of salary to make this work because of the defenseman they're getting back.

**Justin Holl moves on to a team that might be able to use. I really wanted to see him play, but it became clear very quickly Babcock didn't want to give him the chance. Since he is on a one way contract and would have to go through waivers, better to move him in a trade.
TOR
  1. Pesce, Brett
Additional Details:
While they aren't the same type of players, Nashville and Columbus flipped Johansen for Jones and ultimately it worked out for both teams. This is why I think the one for one isn't so crazy, simpler is better. Considering Carolina has lots of defensive depth, I think they can take this chance on a player who I think will mesh well with their current group of forwards.
CAR
  1. Kadri, Nazem
Additional Details:
Also can't shake the feeling that Kadri might get dangled a bit. I'm wondering if there is a hockey trade to be made. One for one, Kadri for Pesce. Kadri has shown he has good offensive instincts and can be 2nd line center for a team.

The biggest issue is his attitude, maybe this trade sends the message home and he watches himself on his new team...or maybe old habits die hard. Leafs and Carolina keep getting linked together, would it be crazy to assume that a deal could happen there? Hurricanes need the offense and center depth.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,000,000$81,327,199$0$82,500$672,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
if you listened to last weeks bobcast as well, he said that marner thinks that he is worth matthews money. media and fans bring in comparables, but marner thinks he's worth matthews money, and he'll prob get close to to it as well. as for marleau, he moved his family here. i dont think he goes back. he prob retires a leaf. considering how good pesce was in the playoffs, kadri alone wont be enough. i doubt they trade pesce. good contract and great player. i dont understand the nj trade. they are gonna need cap space for hischer and hall, whom are coming up.
SpartanRZ09 and Riley816 liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 11:34 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
if you listened to last weeks bobcast as well, he said that marner thinks that he is worth matthews money. media and fans bring in comparables, but marner thinks he's worth matthews money, and he'll prob get close to to it as well. as for marleau, he moved his family here. i dont think he goes back. he prob retires a leaf. considering how good pesce was in the playoffs, kadri alone wont be enough. i doubt they trade pesce. good contract and great player. i dont understand the nj trade. they are gonna need cap space for hischer and hall, whom are coming up.

I chose because $10.5 for Marner because its close to Matthews/Tavares money and I also thought that maybe there is that chance they talk him down below $11 mill. Its slim...I know....but I was hoping maybe that $500,000 difference is the hometown discount he takes.

As for the Devils trade that is a good point. Horton is done at the end of the year, so its only Zaitsev they'd have to be prepared to factor him in to their long term plans. Greene and Vatanen also free agents at the end of the season so if one of them walks then they might still be able to justify it. As I also said though, I just chose New Jersey because to me they seemed like a logical fit, but there are lots of other teams that this can play out with.

You are right about Marleau and I did consider that he'll be with the Leafs next season. From what I remember reading he still owns a house in San Jose, which is why I thought that if he goes anywhere, its back to a place him and his family are comfortable and familiar with. Otherwise, I don't see him waiving his no-trade.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 11:37 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Marleau originally a sask boy, does it make any sense for a Lucic or Vancouver favourite whipping boy Louie to come the other way with a bunch retained. I missed the part where Marleau played his junior in Seattle to tie into Vancouver connection
May 16, 2019 at 11:41 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Marleau originally a sask boy, does it make any sense for a Lucic or Vancouver favourite whipping boy Louie to come the other way with a bunch retained. I missed the part where Marleau played his junior in Seattle to tie into Vancouver connection

One year of Marleau for 4 years of Lucic?? Edm says yes. Buys both plane tickets..
May 16, 2019 at 11:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited May 16, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
I could should have stopped reading your trades when you traded Horton. Horton has no affect on the cap but again there is LTIR obsession thinking that it's a meaningful trade. Why would Sharks give up two players for a player Holl who can't make the lineup with the Leafs weak defence. Can't imagine why Carolina trades Pesce for so little. Kadri is not a quality 2nd line centre. His two 30 goal seasons was the result of playing LW on the PP. To think Kruger can even be NHLer now especially at 3rd line centre, wow that's too improbable.
OldNYIfan and GenXHockey liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 11:49 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Riley816
One year of Marleau for 4 years of Lucic?? Edm says yes. Buys both plane tickets..

Toronto has all the cash and if edm retains instead of buying out, and Toronto gives him a 1 year trial at half rate edm eating the other half, then u have Lucic vs chara opening round, marner Tavares Lucic, could be interesting, Tavares magic could shine up Lucic enough to have some value after a year did it with how many other guys.
May 16, 2019 at 11:51 p.m.
Best In The World
Canes decline, Pesce is not going anywhere.
May 16, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: brocklesnar
Canes decline, Pesce is not going anywhere.

If he is I’m assuming healthy bidding war with the price getting rather high with that contract
May 16, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
Johnsson and Kapanen are right about where they should be. Reinhart was much better and he signed 2 at 3.65. Esa Lindell was worse and signed 2 at 2.20.
May 17, 2019 at 12:00 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
I could should have stopped reading your trades when you traded Horton. Horton has no affect on the cap but again there is LTIR obsession thinking that it's a meaningful trade. Why would Sharks give up two players for a player Holl who can't make the lineup with the Leafs weak defence. Can't imagine why Carolina trades Pesce for so little. To think Kruger can even be NHLer now especially at 3rd line centre, wow that's too improbable.

Horton doesn't have to be placed on the LTIR, the Devils (or any team for that matter) can allow him to count against the cap to get to the floor. This all depends on what Shero has planned for July 1st. If he plans on being a big spender, then the Horton/Zaitsev trade is pointless. I'm going under the assumption the Devils won't be huge spenders, so they need that bump to get the floor. Horton is done at the end of the season and they re-allocate the cap space to sign Hall, Hischier, and Vatanen.

I included Holl in the deal because at the end of they day teams need defensive depth. Maybe I just simplify the trade and drop the two defenseman? The only reason why that trade exists because I think its the only place that Marleau would agree to go back to. Dell didn't have a great year so moving him would allow the Sharks to target an experienced NHL goaltender to help out Jones.

Yes, maybe the Pesce trade doesn't workout. Never said it was a slam dunk. Maybe the one-for-one concept works elsewhere involving different players.

As for Kruger, the reason why I picked him was because he'll be cheap. Has lots of playoff experience, has won Stanley Cups, and can kill penalties. Leafs don't have the luxury of being able to go after anyone else. They need to settle for bargain bin options in some cases. Maybe Petan or Gauthier get playing time on the 3rd line. Maybe Nylander gets shifted to center. Who really knows?
May 17, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: SpartanRZ09
Horton doesn't have to be placed on the LTIR, the Devils (or any team for that matter) can allow him to count against the cap to get to the floor. This all depends on what Shero has planned for July 1st. If he plans on being a big spender, then the Horton/Zaitsev trade is pointless. I'm going under the assumption the Devils won't be huge spenders, so they need that bump to get the floor. Horton is done at the end of the season and they re-allocate the cap space to sign Hall, Hischier, and Vatanen.

I included Holl in the deal because at the end of they day teams need defensive depth. Maybe I just simplify the trade and drop the two defenseman? The only reason why that trade exists because I think its the only place that Marleau would agree to go back to. Dell didn't have a great year so moving him would allow the Sharks to target an experienced NHL goaltender to help out Jones.

Yes, maybe the Pesce trade doesn't workout. Never said it was a slam dunk. Maybe the one-for-one concept works elsewhere involving different players.

As for Kruger, the reason why I picked him was because he'll be cheap. Has lots of playoff experience, has won Stanley Cups, and can kill penalties. Leafs don't have the luxury of being able to go after anyone else. They need to settle for bargain bin options in some cases. Maybe Petan or Gauthier get playing time on the 3rd line. Maybe Nylander gets shifted to center. Who really knows?

Even if the Devils needed to get to the cap floor there are 1000 better ways that trading for Horton which costs 5.25m out of pocket. Just sign a 5m player. Trading LTIRs are meaningless 99% of the time
Kruger. Lots of players are cheap but they aren't NHLers.
San Jose has as much cap problems as the Leaf. They would have no more interest in Marleau even at 5m as the Leafs do.
OldNYIfan and GenXHockey liked this.
May 17, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I could should have stopped reading your trades when you traded Horton. Horton has no affect on the cap but again there is LTIR obsession thinking that it's a meaningful trade. Why would Sharks give up two players for a player Holl who can't make the lineup with the Leafs weak defence. Can't imagine why Carolina trades Pesce for so little. Kadri is not a quality 2nd line centre. His two 30 goal seasons was the result of playing LW on the PP. To think Kruger can even be NHLer now especially at 3rd line centre, wow that's too improbable.

As usual, leaving me very little to add, so I'll say, Did you see the Laugh-In retrospective on Netflix?
GenXHockey liked this.
May 17, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Birtle34
If he is I’m assuming healthy bidding war with the price getting rather high with that contract

Two RHDs Faulk and TVR are UFAs in a year. Even Hamilton has just two years till UFA. Pesce might be the most "untouchable" Cane Dman with his contract.
If I'm the Leafs and have to move cap.....I would prefer more along the lines of TVR and prospect for Nylander. That might solve most of the Leafs cap problem and a short term fix on at RHD.
May 17, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.
Even if the Devils needed to get to the cap floor there are 1000 better ways that trading for Horton which costs 5.25m out of pocket. Just sign a 5m player. Trading LTIRs are meaningless 99% of the time
Kruger. Lots of players are cheap but they aren't NHLers.
San Jose has as much cap problems as the Leaf. They would have no more interest in Marleau even at 5m as the Leafs do.

I don't think the trades are as meaningless as you make them out to be, especially when many of them have happened in the past. Cap space is just as much of an asset as a player is, so if teams don't intend on spending to the ceiling, then they use that extra cap space to their advantage. Remember, the team acquiring is going to be getting a high draft pick or top prospect out of this, so it isn't for nothing.

Sure, they can pay any UFA $5 mill to get to the floor, but that means they have to play him. Also, what if the player wants term? Are you going to overpay a guy, and hand him a multi year deal just to get to the floor?
May 17, 2019 at 12:18 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Still scratching my head on a lot of ideas in the comments and the agm.

Horton is on ltir next year, no issues.

If marner wants Matthews money he will be gone. I’m sure we can find another winger to pass the puck to Tavares for much cheaper. Either the four 1sts or the top pairing rhd he brings in will be a great addition. I can’t help but think that marner understands the value of playing for the leafs and the benefits, stardom and endorsements he will lose by leaving. If he truly wants to be a leafs he and his agent will make the contract fit.

The epic Marleau Trade. Maybe the leafs should trade for phaneuf so he could retire as a leaf...
May 17, 2019 at 12:19 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: OldNYIfan
As usual, leaving me very little to add, so I'll say, Did you see the Laugh-In retrospective on Netflix?

Gee, I didn't see Laugh In. Loved the show as 14 year old. I'll try to find it . Thanks.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 17, 2019 at 12:22 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: SpartanRZ09
I don't think the trades are as meaningless as you make them out to be, especially when many of them have happened in the past. Cap space is just as much of an asset as a player is, so if teams don't intend on spending to the ceiling, then they use that extra cap space to their advantage. Remember, the team acquiring is going to be getting a high draft pick or top prospect out of this, so it isn't for nothing.

Sure, they can pay any UFA $5 mill to get to the floor, but that means they have to play him. Also, what if the player wants term? Are you going to overpay a guy, and hand him a multi year deal just to get to the floor?

Sorry, you don't understand LTIR and certainly Horton's unique...non insured LTIR...which is why the Leafs originally traded for him, I would rather overpay 5m for one year for the guy to be on the ice contributing than 5m not playing at all. Horton does not affect the Leafs cap at all.
May 17, 2019 at 12:29 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Gee, I didn't see Laugh In. Loved the show as 14 year old. I'll try to find it . Thanks.

It was shot here at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood with Neil Patrick Harris and Tiffany Haddish as emcees. You'll love the modern-day skit with Rita Moreno and Rita Wilson doing a split-screen. Be sure to stay through the closing credits where they come back. (RM should be your hero, too, because she's our age!)
May 17, 2019 at 1:00 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

I just realized that if you watched Laugh In as a 14-year-old, then you're 10 years younger than I am, so I apologize for saying that Rita Moreno is "our" age.
May 17, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
San Jose is not giving up the 2 best players in the for the honor of taking Marleau. Marleau can sign a 1 day contract after next season to retire a shark.
May 17, 2019 at 3:41 a.m.
DanzhastheTouch
i dont understand the nj trade. they are gonna need cap space for hischer and hall, whom are coming up.

The Devils, along with Carolina, have the lowest payrolls/cap assignments in the league. Horton would fit their cap without denting it--with only this coming season remaining on his contract, his cap hit isn't damaging to the Devils at all. In fact, it will help them stay above the cap floor. The addition of Zaitzev, though, is the opportunity to get out from under his deal. Still doesn't hurt New Jersey, and they have more than enough room to fit Zaitzev, without hindering future deals with Hall and Hischer.
May 17, 2019 at 7:29 a.m.
I really do think that Kapanen will be offer sheeted. Good player with an high ceiling potential and if he gets offered a 4M contract the team that offer sheets doesn't even have to pay the Leafs much in term of picks.
May 17, 2019 at 9:15 a.m.
Quoting: danzhock10

he still isn't worth that term nor contract.
May 17, 2019 at 9:31 a.m.
Haha the leafs are screwed. Losers since 67

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll