$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 17, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Jets need cap. One year rental LHD Kulivov and 2 years of LW/C Perrault might be had really cheap. Kulivov might not be top 4, but handy enough to transition till next year.
May 17, 2019 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Jets need cap. One year rental LHD Kulivov and 2 years of LW/C Perrault might be had really cheap. Kulivov might not be top 4, but handy enough to transition till next year.

Hey, if there's a couple picks and a prospect coming with them, by all means i'd do it. Sticking Out Tongue
May 17, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: F50marco
Hey, if there's a couple picks and a prospect coming with them, by all means i'd do it. Sticking Out Tongue

Jets, Lightning, Leafs, maybe even Vegas, Sharks and Flames may have to dump some cap of competent NHLers to have the 23 that they want. It's going to be crowded "cap dump" market. You're right, teams might have add sweeteners.
May 17, 2019 at 1:21 p.m.
Banned
Jets, Lightning, Leafs, maybe even Vegas, Sharks and Flames may have to dump some cap of competent NHLers to have the 23 that they want. It's going to be crowded "cap dump" market. You're right, teams might have add sweeteners.

Only for real cap dumps. Miller is a real cap dump, a healthy scratch making almost 4 million. Or Callahan in Tampa, a 4th liner making over 5 million. For the Leafs they can move high value guys like Kapanen or guys like Brown who have value and will get a fair return. Bargain guys are guys that make too much for what the offer.
May 17, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.

I don't mind. I think we need short term guys to let Suzuki, Poehling and Brook play in the AHL for a year.
palhal liked this.
May 17, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
MountRoyal514
I wonder that even if the Habs take on someone's cap troubles and get a reward, it might not be a top 4 D or top 6 forward they come away with BUT it might help facilitate a secondary deal, packing multiple picks and prospects to get what they need
May 17, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Only for real cap dumps. Miller is a real cap dump, a healthy scratch making almost 4 million. Or Callahan in Tampa, a 4th liner making over 5 million. For the Leafs they can move high value guys like Kapanen or guys like Brown who have value and will get a fair return. Bargain guys are guys that make too much for what the offer.

Miller a cap dump? Guess you think Tatar was a cap dump too when the Habs picked him up from Vegas after being a scratch also? Being scratched in the playoffs can mean a bunch of things for different players. Miller is in high demand. Not nearly a cap dump. (I assume your talking about Colin Miller right?)

Definition in the book of F50marco... Sticking Out Tongue

CAP DUMP: A contract that alone on its own merit isn't good enough to bring back any assets from another team in trade. The only gain would be to lose the cap the contract has associated with it. In some cases teams need to package an asset with it just to entice another team to take the contract on. Some examples of cap dumps are Callahan, Phaneuf, Lucic, Alzner, etc. (Some worse than others obviously)
May 17, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Banned
Miller a cap dump? Guess you think Tatar was a cap dump too when the Habs picked him up from Vegas after being a scratch also? Being scratched in the playoffs can mean a bunch of things for different players. Miller is in high demand. Not nearly a cap dump. (I assume your talking about Colin Miller right?)

Definition in the book of F50marco... Sticking Out Tongue

CAP DUMP: A contract that alone on its own merit isn't good enough to bring back any assets from another team in trade. The only gain would be to lose the cap the contract has associated with it. In some cases teams need to package an asset with it just to entice another team to take the contract on. Some examples of cap dumps are Callahan, Phaneuf, Lucic, Alzner, etc. (Some worse than others obviously)

Vegas has zero cap space, they are desperate for space and Miller lost favour in Vegas. He wasn't good enough and because of that he's absolutely a cap dump. He's just the current flavor of the month. He's a bottom 6 defenceman on most teams. Its not like he's going to come to TO and become an allstar.
May 17, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
Vegas has zero cap space, they are desperate for space and Miller lost favour in Vegas. He wasn't good enough and because of that he's absolutely a cap dump. He's just the current flavor of the month. He's a bottom 6 defenceman on most teams. Its not like he's going to come to TO and become an allstar.

Yet Zaitsev and Toronto aren't? TO has just as much a cap situation and ask anyone whose not a TO fan right now, who they'd take. 99% Miller all the way. He'd be Toronto best true right shot dman...
May 17, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Banned
Yet Zaitsev and Toronto aren't? TO has just as much a cap situation and ask anyone whose not a TO fan right now, who they'd take. 99% Miller all the way. He'd be Toronto best true right shot dman...

I don't think so, I think he's inferior defensively. I am happy with Zaitsev, he played very well with anyone other than Gardiner. Gardiner is garbage. Zaitsev is many things but he isn't terrible, he is best suited working along side another strong defensive guy. He also looked great during stints with Dermott as well. He's overpaid sure, and I don't think the Leafs would get any return for him. I'd be surprised if they could get a 5th rounder.
May 17, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
Banned

I feel like I need to clarify.

TO's cap situation is far better than most make it out to be. Why? Because they have pieces that have high value that they can move. Kapanen is going to have several teams interested in his services. Same with Johnsson. Brown would even draw a fair amount of interest I'd say. Those 3 alone would put the Leafs well under the cap after Marner signs. They don't need to pay anyone to take players off their hands. Especially since Marleau is off the books next year.
May 17, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
I feel like I need to clarify.

TO's cap situation is far better than most make it out to be. Why? Because they have pieces that have high value that they can move. Kapanen is going to have several teams interested in his services. Same with Johnsson. Brown would even draw a fair amount of interest I'd say. Those 3 alone would put the Leafs well under the cap after Marner signs. They don't need to pay anyone to take players off their hands. Especially since Marleau is off the books next year.

And Vegas doesn't have this same luxury? Erik Huala, Cody Eakin, Colin Miller are all guys they can easily trade to fit under the cap as well.....

Simply by the fact that there is one person (me) who thinks Miller is better than you are giving him credit for means their is a chance another in the NHL feels the same way. Once again remember when Tatar was a "cap dump" in everyone's eyes? Miller is not as bad as "being scratched a couple times" is making you think.
May 17, 2019 at 2:42 p.m.
Banned
And Vegas doesn't have this same luxury? Erik Huala, Cody Eakin, Colin Miller are all guys they can easily trade to fit under the cap as well.....

Simply by the fact that there is one person (me) who thinks Miller is better than you are giving him credit for means their is a chance another in the NHL feels the same way. Once again remember when Tatar was a "cap dump" in everyone's eyes? Miller is not as bad as "being scratched a couple times" is making you think.

I think he's okay but nothing special. He's not anything more than a 2nd pair defenceman. And on a good team a healthy scratch. I don't like his defensive game and think TO has enough of what his strengths are. The cost to acquire just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. Some team I am sure will offer a 3rd rounder or a prospect for him but I doubt it'll be TO.
May 17, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
I think he's okay but nothing special. He's not anything more than a 2nd pair defenceman. And on a good team a healthy scratch. I don't like his defensive game and think TO has enough of what his strengths are. The cost to acquire just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. Some team I am sure will offer a 3rd rounder or a prospect for him but I doubt it'll be TO.

Does anyone think he is anything more than a second pair dman? Not me. But i think a second pair dman which he is, is worth more than 3rd-5th rounder my friend and being a scratch and having a down year happens to the best of them. Just one year ago he was an integral part of the Vegas dcore, now has a bad season he is bantha fodder. I think we can both agree he is somewhere in between in reality.
May 17, 2019 at 2:57 p.m.
Banned
Does anyone think he is anything more than a second pair dman? Not me. But i think a second pair dman which he is, is worth more than 3rd-5th rounder my friend and being a scratch and having a down year happens to the best of them. Just one year ago he was an integral part of the Vegas dcore, now has a bad season he is bantha fodder. I think we can both agree he is somewhere in between in reality.

You are definitely correct, but you also said one key thing in there. One Year. He's only really had 1 good year, that could very well be the outlier during a season of magic that Vegas had.

Either way, I think most GM's won't be offering up a big haul for a guy that hasn't really had anything more than 1 decent year by the age of 26. He makes just under 4 million so he isn't an easy add. My guess is if he brings back a 2nd Vegas jumps at that.
May 17, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
You are definitely correct, but you also said one key thing in there. One Year. He's only really had 1 good year, that could very well be the outlier during a season of magic that Vegas had.

Either way, I think most GM's won't be offering up a big haul for a guy that hasn't really had anything more than 1 decent year by the age of 26. He makes just under 4 million so he isn't an easy add. My guess is if he brings back a 2nd Vegas jumps at that.

This could be said about Zaitsev as well. Makes more money. Has longer term. Had one good year.

Regardless that's my opinion on both players. Looks like both guys will be traded this year. We'll have to see what is eventually offered for both.
May 17, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Banned
This could be said about Zaitsev as well. Makes more money. Has longer term. Had one good year.

Regardless that's my opinion on both players. Looks like both guys will be traded this year. We'll have to see what is eventually offered for both.

I would be surprised if Zaitsev is traded. It doesn't make much sense, mainly because moving him creates another hole that needs to be filled.
May 17, 2019 at 4:25 p.m.
I would be surprised if Zaitsev is traded. It doesn't make much sense, mainly because moving him creates another hole that needs to be filled.

But don't you find that is the same reasoning as to why you are willing to trade Kap and Johnsson if necessary? I mean TO has young depth on D who could potentially be ready sooner rather than later. Yes they have Bracco and Moore but they also have Sandin, Liljegren, etc. If I had to choose between Zaitzev and maybe a sweetener pick to get rid of him or Kap and Johnsson, I'd choose the latter.

So who exactly in your mind are you trading in order to account for Marner's 10M contract? So you're keeping Zaitsev, trading Brown/Kap/Johnsson? Anything else?
May 17, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
But don't you find that is the same reasoning as to why you are willing to trade Kap and Johnsson if necessary? I mean TO has young depth on D who could potentially be ready sooner rather than later. Yes they have Bracco and Moore but they also have Sandin, Liljegren, etc. If I had to choose between Zaitzev and maybe a sweetener pick to get rid of him or Kap and Johnsson, I'd choose the latter.

So who exactly in your mind are you trading in order to account for Marner's 10M contract? So you're keeping Zaitsev, trading Brown/Kap/Johnsson? Anything else?

Thats all that is needed. Brown for a pick is 2.1 off the cap, Kap is another 2 million in savings. Not adding anything else and filling out the roster with Marlies makes it tight but doable. Then if things don't pan out with the younger blueline, I'd just trade whichever depth winger is performing the best and see if I can sell high and get deadline acquisition. Someone like Tanev near the deadline at half price should be doable.
May 17, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
Thats all that is needed. Brown for a pick is 2.1 off the cap, Kap is another 2 million in savings. Not adding anything else and filling out the roster with Marlies makes it tight but doable. Then if things don't pan out with the younger blueline, I'd just trade whichever depth winger is performing the best and see if I can sell high and get deadline acquisition. Someone like Tanev near the deadline at half price should be doable.

Can you do an AGM and show me? Either your signing Marner for less than 10M and/or Johnsson for less than 2M.
May 17, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
Banned
Can you do an AGM and show me? Either your signing Marner for less than 10M and/or Johnsson for less than 2M.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1153662

This one needs a couple of fine tuning moves likely, I think Johnsson may have to be moved as well but there is the chance he may be open to a 1 year deal with the understanding that a longer term will be offered if he shows that last year wasn't just an aberration.
F50marco liked this.
May 17, 2019 at 6:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

I guess there are various types of 'dumps". I figure the Leafs need to jettison about 6.75 of cap net cap after they sign their RFAs. My best bet is Nylander....Even if the Leafs don't get much of return...what else are their alternatives? But that's the price for signing a UFA Tavares, overpaying Matthews and Nylander, having Marleau for a third year, and paying more than expected for Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson
The other popular option is a Kadri/Brown trade again with no money being returned. But it still doesn't solve the Leafs problem at defence in the upcoming season with Gardiner and Hainsey gone and Dermot injured for three months. I am optimistic about Leafs defence and prospects for future years....but 2020/21, the Leafs might be worse.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll