SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Edmonton fans what do you think

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 17, 2019
Published: May 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am certain this is not going to go over well.

Larsson is a better version of Zaitsev so its not a huge downgrade since they are both 2nd pair defensive defenceman. So Edmonton takes a small downgrade on the blueline to get two wingers who will be in their top 6 and give them a semblance of depth on the wings that they desperately need.

For TO they save money, get picks and get a bit better on the blueline. They would still likely have to make a move to clear a bit more space, something with Johnsson being moved would be an option especially at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$10,500,000
2$2,960,000
1$2,600,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Larsson, Adam
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$77,326,365$0$0$6,173,635
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 17, 2019 at 1:34 p.m.
Considering Kapanen's price is probably around a 2nd and a 3rd, this is terrible for the oilers
May 17, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
Oilers don't have the cap to take Zaitsev.
May 17, 2019 at 1:36 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: shmoeman
Considering Kapanen's price is probably around a 2nd and a 3rd, this is terrible for the oilers

I think the price for Kapanen is more like a late 1st or a decent ELC player with upside and a 2nd. Also Edmonton has ZERO Wingers, which is why you have to use one of your centres on the wing with McDavid. Getting forward depth is so important for you guys.
May 17, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sam2727
Oilers don't have the cap to take Zaitsev.

Get rid of Sekera, or Russel
May 17, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
You are finally converted......

I have EDM with 4,9M to spend and 4 players to sign....i dont think they can afford that package
May 17, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Get rid of Sekera, or Russel

easier said than done.
May 17, 2019 at 1:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Laudan
You are finally converted......

I have EDM with 4,9M to spend and 4 players to sign....i dont think they can afford that package

I wouldn't say converted. I still feel there are likely better moves out there but this is about the only way I'd accept a trade for Larsson. He isn't a top pair defenceman and we already have a serviceable 2nd pair guy in Zaitsev so to me, there isn't a trade here unless its some sort of Zaitsev for Larsson swap which would be very difficult for Edmonton to pull off because their cap is an utter disaster.
May 17, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Kapanen can be offer sheeted to 4M so let's assume his real value is 2nd rounder.
Brown is worth that 3rd rounder however, EDM can resign a third line winger like Chiasson to similar money without spending that asset so I'm not sure about that.
Larsson is an upgrade on Zaitsev who's term lowers his value a bit.

EDM refuses I believe. Only real asset and clear upgrade we're getting in this trade is Kapanen and he can be offer sheeted for a 2nd rounder.
May 17, 2019 at 1:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
Kapanen can be offer sheeted to 4M so let's assume his real value is 2nd rounder.
Brown is worth that 3rd rounder however, EDM can resign a third line winger like Chiasson to similar money without spending that asset so I'm not sure about that.
Larsson is an upgrade on Zaitsev who's term lowers his value a bit.

EDM refuses I believe. Only real asset and clear upgrade we're getting in this trade is Kapanen and he can be offer sheeted for a 2nd rounder.

Here is the thing about the offer sheet though, No reason to think he'll sign one and if it looks like that is a danger TO will trade him for the highest bidder. Once he's traded, he can sign for less than 4 million since that is a huge overpay for him. Trading for him is the smartest and likely cheapest way to get him. If you want him on an offersheet there is a good chance you are competing with other teams as well and the first team to go way overboard will get him for way too much. The offer sheet threat is a joke.

Edmonton needs a tonne of better players if they want to compete and they aren't going to come for free. Finding inexpensive and good players is a must for them. The other option is to hope that they can draft and develop about 6 forwards and 4 defenceman over the next 3 years or McDavid is going to get fed up.

This trade doesn't really hurt the defence much and give Edmonton 2 good forwards and Kapanen could likely be signed for 2 years under 3 million.
May 17, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
Here is the thing about the offer sheet though, No reason to think he'll sign one and if it looks like that is a danger TO will trade him for the highest bidder. Once he's traded, he can sign for less than 4 million since that is a huge overpay for him. Trading for him is the smartest and likely cheapest way to get him. If you want him on an offersheet there is a good chance you are competing with other teams as well and the first team to go way overboard will get him for way too much. The offer sheet threat is a joke.

Edmonton needs a tonne of better players if they want to compete and they aren't going to come for free. Finding inexpensive and good players is a must for them. The other option is to hope that they can draft and develop about 6 forwards and 4 defenceman over the next 3 years or McDavid is going to get fed up.

This trade doesn't really hurt the defence much and give Edmonton 2 good forwards and Kapanen could likely be signed for 2 years under 3 million.

Fair points, but I'm saying in this deal, the only REAL upgrade is Kapanen. Let's say Larsson is marginally better than Zaitsev, and let's say Chiasson and Brown are equal. Why should Edmonton have to trade Larsson and other assets to essentially get Kapanen?

And if Larsson is only marginally better than Zaitsev, then it's not worth it from EDM's side because of Zaitsev's term. So really if you're looking at it, Toronto would have to add to Zaitsev just to get Larsson.
May 17, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
Fair points, but I'm saying in this deal, the only REAL upgrade is Kapanen. Let's say Larsson is marginally better than Zaitsev, and let's say Chiasson and Brown are equal. Why should Edmonton have to trade Larsson and other assets to essentially get Kapanen?

And if Larsson is only marginally better than Zaitsev, then it's not worth it from EDM's side because of Zaitsev's term. So really if you're looking at it, Toronto would have to add to Zaitsev just to get Larsson.

Kapanen is the add, he's immediately your best RW and its not even close. Brown for crying out loud is either as good or better than Chaisson and better then everyone else at RW. Edmonton's wingers are sooo bad. That is the add here.

But fair enough, I didn't think this would fly and I'm fine with it, I see other better moves involving Kapanen going and Zaitsev leaving.
May 17, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
I think the price for Kapanen is more like a late 1st or a decent ELC player with upside and a 2nd. Also Edmonton has ZERO Wingers, which is why you have to use one of your centres on the wing with McDavid. Getting forward depth is so important for you guys.

Theres no way Kap is worth a 1st and a 2nd. Ive always really liked the player but teams know that the Leafs dont have cap space and can just potentially offersheet him for a 2nd, which the leafs would likely not match
May 17, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
Banned
Theres no way Kap is worth a 1st and a 2nd. Ive always really liked the player but teams know that the Leafs dont have cap space and can just potentially offersheet him for a 2nd, which the leafs would likely not match

Do you think it makes any sense for teams interested in offersheeting Kapanen to wait till July 1 if the Leafs make him available? The offer sheet threat only makes sense in a vacuum, meaning if there are no teams and no one competing to make their own teams better. Since that isn't reality, there will be many teams interested in Kapanen, so if he's made available there will be several teams interested. They won't all call each other up and say, lets low ball the Leafs because we can all wait till July 1 and offer sheet Kapenen. You are looking at this from a single option perspective and that doesn't exist when there are 31 teams in the league.

So play hardball all you want, there will be other GM's that realize that they need to offer a fair price for a good player. The cap dumps that have happened in the past where good players were given away for nothing or for a negative value happens when it a bad contract or a declining player. Kapanen is a good young player that has a lot of value and will be very desirable. He'll get a good return.
May 17, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Do you think it makes any sense for teams interested in offersheeting Kapanen to wait till July 1 if the Leafs make him available? The offer sheet threat only makes sense in a vacuum, meaning if there are no teams and no one competing to make their own teams better. Since that isn't reality, there will be many teams interested in Kapanen, so if he's made available there will be several teams interested. They won't all call each other up and say, lets low ball the Leafs because we can all wait till July 1 and offer sheet Kapenen. You are looking at this from a single option perspective and that doesn't exist when there are 31 teams in the league.

So play hardball all you want, there will be other GM's that realize that they need to offer a fair price for a good player. The cap dumps that have happened in the past where good players were given away for nothing or for a negative value happens when it a bad contract or a declining player. Kapanen is a good young player that has a lot of value and will be very desirable. He'll get a good return.

honestly i doubt an offer sheet happens, but it can still be used as an important bargaining piece or a threat, definitely something other teams can use to hurt Kaps value
May 17, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
Banned
honestly i doubt an offer sheet happens, but it can still be used as an important bargaining piece or a threat, definitely something other teams can use to hurt Kaps value

Well good to see nothing I said was considered

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll