Forums/Armchair-GM

Poile style term for AJ and KK

Created by: Goulet
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2019
Published: May 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A bridge will run 3-3.5...why bother? Have to clear cap anyway...
Kadri and Brown for futures. Marleau would make things easy as would Zaitsev...could be another 11M

And just to be clear...I didn't fill out the roster or make trades on purpose.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$4,500,000
7$4,500,000
5$9,500,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$76,852,199$0$82,500$6,147,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 19, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
I thought at first glance that kadri and brown were getting the old lupul treatment
May 19, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.
Edited May 20, 2019 at 4:42 a.m.
Ask Jarmo Kekalainen how things should be served for bridge ( Bjorkstrand )

Next year go Poile style......

Arvidsson screwed himself with term badly....i dont think any kid will repeat that mistake....

Also Poile style would be :

Matthews 8 x 11M ( Jul 2019 )....or even less
Nylander 8 x 6,6M ( Jul 2018 )
Marner 8 x 8,5M ( Jul 2019 )

with the above in mind, we are more in Chiarelli waters than anywhere else......
May 19, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
So if the salary cap goes go up to $83 million and Marner will sign for less then 10 the Leafs could come back with the same team next season minus Gardiner, Kadri and Brown with no improvements on the back end, fans won't like it but it is an option Dubas may have to consider until Marleau is off the books.
I can't see Marner signing anything that has an AAV less then 10.
May 19, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Ask Jarmo Kekalainen how things should be served for bridge ( Bjorkstrand )

Next year go Poile style......

Arvidsson screwed himself with term badly....i dont think any kid will repeat that mistake....

Also Poile stayle would be :

Matthews 8 x 11M ( Jul 2019 )
Nylander 8 x 6,8M ( Jul 2018 )
Marner 8 x 8,5M ( Jul 2019 )

with the above in mind, we are more in Chiarelli waters than anywhere else......

The Matthews deal certainly leaves some thoughts lingering... However, scoring centres don't come along everyday so I'm willing to give Dubas a pass there. What he does with Marner now is key.
May 19, 2019 at 10:09 a.m.
Watches no games
Kadri is a better player than Johnson and Kapanen, idk why you would do this
May 19, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: MelonVK

I. Think this is terrific and is probably close to what happens. It means betting on kapanen and johnsson long term..those are bets it would make.

By the end of next year you will have hopefully Sandin and Liligren both ready for the lineup.

You will have marleau off the books, and be able to resign Muzzin, Dermott or go get a top RHD in free agency
May 19, 2019 at 10:47 a.m.

Asset management. Being a centre, Kadri holds more trade value. And to keep him, he needs to move to the wing and play with Tavares.
On his own, he doesn't drive a line. Nylander does.

The concensus around here is to dump Zaitsev and Marleau which is not the only option. The idea here is to provide cost certainty for the duration of Tavares tenure as well as get great value out of the young wingers before they put up bigger numbers on a better Leaf team.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
May 19, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Goulet
Asset management. Being a centre, Kadri holds more trade value. And to keep him, he needs to move to the wing and play with Tavares.
On his own, he doesn't drive a line. Nylander does.

The concensus around here is to dump Zaitsev and Marleau which is not the only option. The idea here is to provide cost certainty for the duration of Tavares tenure as well as get great value out of the young wingers before they put up bigger numbers on a better Leaf team.

I mean I don't agree. Kadri's numbers are great, and the only real reason he doesn't take off in point production is mostly due to getting defensive assignments. Zaitsev is hardly a bottom pairing defenseman, Kadri is a #2 centre on most teams in the league and they cost the same. I think asset management is important, but to a team struggling to get under the cap you need the best possible players on the cheapest deals possible, and Kadri is great in that regard, Zaitsev isn't. The same goes for Johnson and Kapanen, who are both (in my mind) inferior players that will make the same amount of money this way. You don't lose them for nothing either, as you can either package them with Zaitsev to get better d back, or trade them for picks/players on an ELC.

Quoting: Jtcurls
By the end of next year you will have hopefully Sandin and Liligren both ready for the lineup.

You will have marleau off the books, and be able to resign Muzzin, Dermott or go get a top RHD in free agency

This to me is just another argument to get rid of Zaitsev over anyone else - you have the replacements in the organisation
May 19, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
I mean I don't agree. Kadri's numbers are great, and the only real reason he doesn't take off in point production is mostly due to getting defensive assignments. Zaitsev is hardly a bottom pairing defenseman, Kadri is a #2 centre on most teams in the league and they cost the same. I think asset management is important, but to a team struggling to get under the cap you need the best possible players on the cheapest deals possible, and Kadri is great in that regard, Zaitsev isn't. The same goes for Johnson and Kapanen, who are both (in my mind) inferior players that will make the same amount of money this way. You don't lose them for nothing either, as you can either package them with Zaitsev to get better d back, or trade them for picks/players on an ELC.

This to me is just another argument to get rid of Zaitsev over anyone else - you have the replacements in the organisation

Zaitsev has to provide a return or he can't be moved. He and Gardiner were not good together but away from Gardiner, Zaitsev was fine. Paired with Muzzin, his production and confidence began to return and a two way 30 point defenseman has value on the trade market.
It was also pretty clear that the organization changed Zaitsev's usage, much like they did with Rielly, to help grow his defensive game and the underlying numbers support improvement.

Kadri isn't being maximized anymore in his role and given his playoff suspensions, something has to happen.

Last year's third line with Marleau and Brown was terrible and if the Leafs deal their only young wingers with skill, the problems will persist.
May 19, 2019 at 1:41 p.m.
Watches no games
Zaitsev has to provide a return or he can't be moved. He and Gardiner were not good together but away from Gardiner, Zaitsev was fine. Paired with Muzzin, his production and confidence began to return and a two way 30 point defenseman has value on the trade market.
It was also pretty clear that the organization changed Zaitsev's usage, much like they did with Rielly, to help grow his defensive game and the underlying numbers support improvement.

Kadri isn't being maximized anymore in his role and given his playoff suspensions, something has to happen.

Last year's third line with Marleau and Brown was terrible and if the Leafs deal their only young wingers with skill, the problems will persist.

Well I just disagree. If you give away Zaitsev for free and sign say Strålman in free agency for the same contract you've made a vast improvement of defense. I think Kadri's absence proved his worth more than anything, Marchand has the same tendencies, no one thinks the Bruins should get rid of him
May 19, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
Well I just disagree. If you give away Zaitsev for free and sign say Strålman in free agency for the same contract you've made a vast improvement of defense. I think Kadri's absence proved his worth more than anything, Marchand has the same tendencies, no one thinks the Bruins should get rid of him

Now you're chasing greener grass. Stralman's best days are behind him and Zaitsev's are yet to come. They may even have a similar career arc..

Marchand is still playing...and you can't talk about Kadri in the same sentence as a player that just put up 100 points.
May 19, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Watches no games
Now you're chasing greener grass. Stralman's best days are behind him and Zaitsev's are yet to come. They may even have a similar career arc..

Marchand is still playing...and you can't talk about Kadri in the same sentence as a player that just put up 100 points.

You're making the argument that losing Zaitsev would present any sort of issue. If I were the Leafs I'd pay to get rid of Zaitsev, that's how important not only cap space is, but using cap space well.
Kadri is a 6 million player on a 4.5m contract, just because Marchand is a 9m player on a 6m contract doesn't mean there's no place on the team for Kadri, they're both great. Zaitsev is hardly worth 1m and earns the same amount as Kadri. Zaitsev is literally in the bottom few percentages of most relative and adjusted metrics for any defensemen in the league, he's a replacement level defenseman. It doesn't have to be Strålman, whom despite being basically the reverse of Zaitsev is somehow projected to getting paid about the same amount, it can be anyone who can produce similar or better results for less money - which again is not that hard to find.

Literally one out of 31 teams win every year. The Leafs are in a tough spot with Boston and Tampa having the, in my mind, two best teams this season, but you can't overreact to that by shipping out a valuable player on a good contract. Tampa got swept because random things happen in the playoffs, everything isn't deterministic, the Blue Jackets weren't secretly better all along. The Leafs win that series vs the Bruins half the time, and I'm saying that as a Bruins fan. The Leafs have a favorable aging curve to not only the Bruins but Tampa as well, I'd just stay the course if I'm Dubas. It's not that you're making the 3rd line worse, it's that you're making the Matthews line so much worse by not having Nylander there. I think you'd find quickly that neither 34 or 29 would produce up to par without each other.

Again, I believe the Bruins would be better off facing a Kadri-less Toronto team, but it'd just hurt my soul like Chiarelli shipping off Edmonton's good players, because I don't think Matthews and McDavid are any less deserving of a cup because of what I consider to be poor decisions like this would be
May 20, 2019 at 1:29 a.m.
Edited May 20, 2019 at 5:24 a.m.
You're making the argument that losing Zaitsev would present any sort of issue. If I were the Leafs I'd pay to get rid of Zaitsev, that's how important not only cap space is, but using cap space well.
Kadri is a 6 million player on a 4.5m contract, just because Marchand is a 9m player on a 6m contract doesn't mean there's no place on the team for Kadri, they're both great. Zaitsev is hardly worth 1m and earns the same amount as Kadri. Zaitsev is literally in the bottom few percentages of most relative and adjusted metrics for any defensemen in the league, he's a replacement level defenseman. It doesn't have to be Strålman, whom despite being basically the reverse of Zaitsev is somehow projected to getting paid about the same amount, it can be anyone who can produce similar or better results for less money - which again is not that hard to find.

1) Zaitsev is only RHD that TML has at the moment. Instead hunting additional one, you are advocating to get rid of only one ( his 1M overpayed but his term will make you to overpay a lot to get rid of him ) Hes decent 2nd Pair player and paired with Muzzin he did just fine.

2) Kadri is 4,5M player on 4,5M contract

As for Kadri from some other debate :

18 + 22 = 40
18 + 26 = 44
20 + 30 = 50
18 + 21 = 39
17 + 28 = 45
32 + 29 = 62 - guess who came and play on his wing
32 + 23 = 55 - same as above
16 + 28 = 44 - guess who didnt play on his wing

As for the phantom winger....

19 + 42 = 61
22 + 47 = 69
26 + 68 = 94 - guess who was center in his line

As for the unnamed center, he just reached his career highs.....

Hes 29y old and this year will be primetime to ship him and get something in return still....or he will just walk as JVR and Gardiner

So much storied "monsterous depth at C" didnt bring much of results this year.......
May 20, 2019 at 6:49 a.m.
Watches no games
1) Zaitsev is only RHD that TML has at the moment. Instead hunting additional one, you are advocating to get rid of only one ( his 1M overpayed but his term will make you to overpay a lot to get rid of him ) Hes decent 2nd Pair player and paired with Muzzin he did just fine.

2) Kadri is 4,5M player on 4,5M contract

As for Kadri from some other debate :

18 + 22 = 40
18 + 26 = 44
20 + 30 = 50
18 + 21 = 39
17 + 28 = 45
32 + 29 = 62 - guess who came and play on his wing
32 + 23 = 55 - same as above
16 + 28 = 44 - guess who didnt play on his wing

As for the phantom winger....

19 + 42 = 61
22 + 47 = 69
26 + 68 = 94 - guess who was center in his line

As for the unnamed center, he just reached his career highs.....

Hes 29y old and this year will be primetime to ship him and get something in return still....or he will just walk as JVR and Gardiner

So much storied "monsterous depth at C" didnt bring much of results this year.......

Well again basing your decisions of one season is results oriented in the worst way possible. If the playoffs started tomorrow I'd still take Tampas roster over anyone elses.

Kadri is still tasked with the heavy defensive assignments. He's tilting the ice in Toronto's favor. Zaitsev gets sort of the same treatment but has the opposite effect. You can attribute the last season to losing his winger, but he also lost playing- and PP time to Tavares. He also played fewer games. Over the course of the season Kadri has a great penalty statistic, even when tasked with defensive duties. The impact of playing a LHD on RHD is way smaller than the difference in skill between Kadri and Zaitsev
May 20, 2019 at 9:08 a.m.
Edited May 20, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.
Well again basing your decisions of one season is results oriented in the worst way possible. If the playoffs started tomorrow I'd still take Tampas roster over anyone elses.

Kadri is still tasked with the heavy defensive assignments. He's tilting the ice in Toronto's favor. Zaitsev gets sort of the same treatment but has the opposite effect. You can attribute the last season to losing his winger, but he also lost playing- and PP time to Tavares. He also played fewer games. Over the course of the season Kadri has a great penalty statistic, even when tasked with defensive duties. The impact of playing a LHD on RHD is way smaller than the difference in skill between Kadri and Zaitsev

its Cap era now and im not talking from the aspect of quality and impact of player on the ice but from marketing ( strategic ) view......only fool can claim that Zaitsev is better player in his end then Kadri...

but thing is as i said:

1) getting rid of Zaitsev will cost to much, so you are giving away instead of bringing in....

2) Kadri is merchandize that still has value at the moment with 3 years on his contract.....the return income is falling with every year of his age and contract remained....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll