Forums/Armchair-GM

Thinking forward trades with Edm Buf and Cgy

Created by: MelonVK
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 20, 2019
Published: May 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Weber has very polarizing opinions about his value. I'm not saying I would do this as Buffalo, but let me know what you think of it.
The Edmonton trade is one I'd consider more fair - I have Gallagher down as a top 30 winger, a lot due to his defensive ability. I'd pla him with Drai on the 2nd line and have McD and RNH on the first, but that's just an idea. Even though I'd probably pay that pick for him in a vacuum as a competative team, hopefully you agree that the salaries involved makes it more favorable for Edmonton.
Sort of the same goes for Cgy - I assume they'd much rather use that salary on a defensively sound Lehkonen, even if it costs them some spots in the draft. If not, maybe they can have Mtl's pick back to make it more fair, again these are just ideas.

Keep building the prospect pool, try to compete again before Price becomes a real issue - hopefully for Mtl he can do like Hank and be effective while 36-37.

Let me know why I'm unfair and hate your team down below!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
2$1,600,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Bogosian, Zach
  2. Pilut, Lawrence
  3. 2019 1st round pick (SJS)
MTL
  1. Gagner, Sam
  2. Russell, Kris
  3. 2019 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Bogosian, Zach ($2,571,428 retained)
  2. Gallagher, Brendan
MTL
  1. Stone, Michael
  2. 2019 1st round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Lehkonen, Artturi
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$70,506,427$0$4,375,000$12,493,573
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 20, 2019 at 8:06 a.m.
john_michael
I dont know why we would sacrifice Gally and Weber for picks, even early one, in this draft class that is pretty weak.
May 20, 2019 at 8:09 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: john_michael
I dont know why we would sacrifice Gally and Weber for picks, even early one, in this draft class that is pretty weak.

The picks could be changed to next year, for sure. I think Gallagher's great contract expires about the time this team will be competing hard again, and I'm not so sure Weber will be worth his contract by then (I'm fairly sure he won't, cause I don't really think he is now)
May 20, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
Buffalo says no. Weber and Bogosian play the same amount of games each year.
wojme and GMTD liked this.
May 20, 2019 at 8:43 a.m.
MountRoyal514
Not good for Montreal, Gallagher is worth far more than an 8th pick at the draft this year where, because of lack of consensus outside the top 2, there is a decent chance of drafting a dud.
May 20, 2019 at 9:11 a.m.
Shibbal18
Sabres wouldnt give up Pilut and a first, they are not a win now team
May 20, 2019 at 9:12 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: john_michael

2019 is not a weak draft at all
May 20, 2019 at 9:17 a.m.
john_michael
Yes it is. Of course we'll know in the long run, but all the pro-scouts analysis I have read says it's not as deep as 2018 and significantly not as much as 2020 will be.
May 20, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
Habs
Weber is the habs #1D and captain. You are gonna trade him for a late 1st round pick, a Mike Reilly 2.0 and a cap dump.

Just ridiculous. Not trying to single you out, many people undervalue Weber, just saying that it's all ridiculous.
May 20, 2019 at 9:24 a.m.
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
Weber is the habs #1D and captain. You are gonna trade him for a late 1st round pick, a Mike Reilly 2.0 and a cap dump.

Just ridiculous.

Do you even know who pilut is? Have you watched bogo recently?
GMTD liked this.
May 20, 2019 at 9:31 a.m.
Habs
Quoting: wojme
Do you even know who pilut is? Have you watched bogo recently?

Don't really know who pilut is, should I? Looked him up and he looks like he's had similar success as Mike Reilly when Reilly was 22 years old, (pilut is already 23). The point is pilut has proven nothing and wasn't drafted. He played 3rd pairing minutes last season as a 23 year old for buffalo. Nothing about pilut is spectacular that makes me say "hey we should trade our captain and #1Dman for this guy!".

What is so significant about bogosian's play recently? Nothing has changed over the past 5 years for him. He is still an overpaid dman.

Do you know who Weber is?
May 20, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
Don't really know who pilut is, should I? Looked him up and he looks like he's had similar success as Mike Reilly when Reilly was 22 years old, (pilut is already 23). The point is pilut has proven nothing and wasn't drafted. He played 3rd pairing minutes last season as a 23 year old for buffalo. Nothing about pilut is spectacular that makes me say "hey we should trade our captain and #1Dman for this guy!".

What is so significant about bogosian's play recently? Nothing has changed over the past 5 years for him. He is still an overpaid dman.

Do you know who Weber is?

Pilut played his first year in NA last year coming over as a European free agent. He actually posted pretty good underlying numbers and is only going to get better.

You undersold bogo a bit. He played almost up to his cap hit this past year with remaining healthy for the most part.

Shea Weber is aging on a bad contract and is now injury prone like bogo was.
May 20, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
Habs
Pilut played his first year in NA last year coming over as a European free agent. He actually posted pretty good underlying numbers and is only going to get better.

You undersold bogo a bit. He played almost up to his cap hit this past year with remaining healthy for the most part.

I wouldn't say Weber is injury prone. He had one major injury, but other than that he has had no issues. I don't think Weber's contract is bad. I'm also not concerned about his age - he is smart (positioning), strong (6'4" with old man strength), and he will always have his blast from the point.

Pilut has not shown enough to make him the main piece of a trade.
May 20, 2019 at 10:06 a.m.
Watches no games

I wouldn't say Weber is injury prone. He had one major injury, but other than that he has had no issues. I don't think Weber's contract is bad. I'm also not concerned about his age - he is smart (positioning), strong (6'4" with old man strength), and he will always have his blast from the point.

Pilut has not shown enough to make him the main piece of a trade.

I think Petry is better than Weber, I also think basically everything Bogo accomplished can be attributed to Dahlin. Pilut has great underlying numbers, and could/should probably play on a middle pairing right now. I think this trade is in Mtl's favor long term, but I also think Buffalo should try to compete with Dahlin on an ELC instead of when he's making 8+ million per season two years into the future. This doesn't have to be the trade, but at the same time with both of you thinking you're coming out of it fleeced the value might not be that far off
May 20, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
Habs
Quoting: MelonVK
I think Petry is better than Weber, I also think basically everything Bogo accomplished can be attributed to Dahlin. Pilut has great underlying numbers, and could/should probably play on a middle pairing right now. I think this trade is in Mtl's favor long term, but I also think Buffalo should try to compete with Dahlin on an ELC instead of when he's making 8+ million per season two years into the future. This doesn't have to be the trade, but at the same time with both of you thinking you're coming out of it fleeced the value might not be that far off

I think 90% of trades and up with fans of there respective teams not liking it. I think it's because we tend to overvalue our own players, or the value might be right but it just doesnt make sense.

I think the value isnt there and it makes no sense. If I'm trading Weber I'm getting stud in return, pilut is not that.

And on Petry being better... petry had 46 pts last year and was -5. Weber was on pace for 46 pts and +21. Everyone says +/- is a bogus stat, but I think within context it is useful. Playing for the same team Weber was on pace for a difference of 26 goals compared to Petry while also being just as productive individually.

I love petry, but he is not better than Weber.
GMTD liked this.
May 20, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Watches no games
I think 90% of trades and up with fans of there respective teams not liking it. I think it's because we tend to overvalue our own players, or the value might be right but it just doesnt make sense.

I think the value isnt there and it makes no sense. If I'm trading Weber I'm getting stud in return, pilut is not that.

And on Petry being better... petry had 46 pts last year and was -5. Weber was on pace for 46 pts and +21. Everyone says +/- is a bogus stat, but I think within context it is useful. Playing for the same team Weber was on pace for a difference of 26 goals compared to Petry while also being just as productive individually.

I love petry, but he is not better than Weber.

For sure, everyone overvalues prospects in general, their own players in general, and their own prospects to insane degrees.

Yeah so they also set up a powerplay to revolve around Weber blasting the puck to his best ability. That is a skill, for sure, but it's not really that effective and doesn't do much other than blowing Weber's goal stat out of proportion. They have VERY similar 5v5 numbers, Weber playing with better teammates vs better competition etc. But sure, I might have oversold Petry a bit, I don't think they're far apart at least, how about that?

What usually sets peoples opinions apart is their idea of where the team is headed I think. That together with general roster contruction philosophy. How do you feel about this team? Cause I think they're sort of good, but I also don't see what would drag them from sort of good to real contender. Kotkaniemi could realistically up his production, but at the same time I don't think he'll match his defense and Selke-esque season he just had, Poehling? Suzuki? Possible improvements, sure, but game changers? That's a tough one for me, I think this team has to move on from their older players while their value / perceived value is still high around the league. lmk what you think!
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
May 20, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: MelonVK
For sure, everyone overvalues prospects in general, their own players in general, and their own prospects to insane degrees.

Yeah so they also set up a powerplay to revolve around Weber blasting the puck to his best ability. That is a skill, for sure, but it's not really that effective and doesn't do much other than blowing Weber's goal stat out of proportion. They have VERY similar 5v5 numbers, Weber playing with better teammates vs better competition etc. But sure, I might have oversold Petry a bit, I don't think they're far apart at least, how about that?

What usually sets peoples opinions apart is their idea of where the team is headed I think. That together with general roster contruction philosophy. How do you feel about this team? Cause I think they're sort of good, but I also don't see what would drag them from sort of good to real contender. Kotkaniemi could realistically up his production, but at the same time I don't think he'll match his defense and Selke-esque season he just had, Poehling? Suzuki? Possible improvements, sure, but game changers? That's a tough one for me, I think this team has to move on from their older players while their value / perceived value is still high around the league. lmk what you think!

That's fair enough, but I would be disappointed with this kind of move. I think they are one top 4 d-man from being a playoff team. MTL was good enough this year to be a playoff team, and if there is anything to be taken from the playoffs this year it is that anyone can honestly win once they are in. I think MTL could have went on a good run if they got in, they were 7-2-1 heading into the playoffs I think.

I think this team is ready to contend if they trade a forward for a top 4 dman, and sign a forward to replace the one they trade. They are young and have lots of prospects coming to keep their window open for many years.
MelonVK liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll