Forums/Armchair-GM

Flames Summer - MTL MIN OTT Hayes

Created by: KH44
Team: 2019-20 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: May 21, 2019
Published: May 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Three trades and a couple signings define this summer. The Flames need to add some skill to the top six to make sure that when Monahan goes cold, the whole offence doesn't collapse.
Hayes getting signed to a big deal is expensive, but adding top six skill is not easy.
Jason Zucker has long been rumoured to be coming to Calgary, and this deal moves the first rounder and an effective checking winger for him.
The Ottawa trade is interesting, as Stone is a cap dump, but Jankowski is a capable young player with limited upside, but excellent on the PK. This is the type of player that can really contribute to a rebuild by shoring up different elements of the game and being young and cheap. Good depth is what is often missing in rebuilds. Because Janko won't move up the depth chart, his value isn't really high, but he does have value. A second and a late pick, plus Stone's contract, seems to be a decent price, considering Ottawa needs bodies and salaries as well. Reclamation projects go for a similar price (think Lazar) and Jankowski is more capable than that.
The Montreal trade is fairly straightforward. Calgary needs the cap space, Brodie is the easiest hole to fill in the top 4, and Montreal needs the d man. Brodie slots right in in Montreal, and if it goes well, re-signing him upgrades the 2020 pick to a second, a small price to pay (look at the Zuccarello re-signing price, for example).
Peters talked about moving Lindholm to center this year, and so adding Zucker and Hayes helps the right side of the ice, moving Brodie, Stone and Frolik clears up cap space. Adding two second rounders this year allows the Flames to either restock the cupboard a bit, or help them make some additional moves (Neal + a sweetener, maybe?).
With Tkachuk locked up, there isn't a major need to have cap space for a couple of seasons. Re-signing Hamonic after next year will be necessary, but between that, the growing cap and an expansion draft, this team could compete for two years, then figure out the future after Seattle arrives.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,700,000
1$750,000
2$3,000,000
6$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
2$2,500,000
1$750,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Frolík, Michael
  2. 2019 1st round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
The third becomes a second if Brodie re-signs with Montreal.
CGY
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (FLA)
  2. 2020 6th round pick (SJS)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$75,278,808$0$747,500$7,721,192
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,700,000$2,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 5
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 2
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Spending 6m for Hayes and putting him at RW seems like a waste.
May 21, 2019 at 11:58 a.m.
Bet On It
Sens aren't going to give up a 2nd for that. Stone's a cap dump; Calgary has to pay them, not the other way around.
May 21, 2019 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: Claebom
Sens aren't going to give up a 2nd for that. Stone's a cap dump; Calgary has to pay them, not the other way around.

I agree, Stone is a cap dump. Jankowski is not. I basically had two trades set up: Stone and a Calgary fifth for an Ottawa sixth, and Jankowski for a second and a fifth. So, I cancelled the two fifths, and it became Jankowski, Stone for a second and a sixth. If you like, we can include both fifths again.
May 21, 2019 at 1:16 p.m.
Bet On It
Quoting: KH44
I agree, Stone is a cap dump. Jankowski is not. I basically had two trades set up: Stone and a Calgary fifth for an Ottawa sixth, and Jankowski for a second and a fifth. So, I cancelled the two fifths, and it became Jankowski, Stone for a second and a sixth. If you like, we can include both fifths again.

I still don't see the Sens making a trade like that. Again, Stone is a cap dump. Upgrading a 6th to a 5th is not common compensation for a cap dump. Bickell, Hossa, Datsyuk, while they were mostly injury-based, came with Teravainen, Hinostroza/Oesterle, and a +4 on their 1st round pick along with a second, respectively. So while Stone is still capable of playing hockey, there's no incentive whatsoever for the Sens to make that trade. They theoretically barely move up (Ottawa's 6th is #1 in that round, Calgary's is midway through the 5th) on an inconsequential pick (that then gets cancelled by giving up their own which is also going to be #1 in the round) but have to take on a large cap hit for the year? Not really any draw to that. I don't see much of a problem with the 2nd and Jankowski part of the trade (although I'd imagine Ottawa probably holds on to that pick or looks for something more exciting than Jankowski), just that there's absolutely no point to the Stone side of things.
May 21, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
The hankering for Hayes reminds me of Doan/Iginla, Rattie/Baertschi stuff. Top prospects dominate lower leagues. Expecting them to rekindle chemistry years later at the highest level is tough to see.
May 21, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
I still don't see the Sens making a trade like that. Again, Stone is a cap dump. Upgrading a 6th to a 5th is not common compensation for a cap dump. Bickell, Hossa, Datsyuk, while they were mostly injury-based, came with Teravainen, Hinostroza/Oesterle, and a +4 on their 1st round pick along with a second, respectively. So while Stone is still capable of playing hockey, there's no incentive whatsoever for the Sens to make that trade. They theoretically barely move up (Ottawa's 6th is #1 in that round, Calgary's is midway through the 5th) on an inconsequential pick (that then gets cancelled by giving up their own which is also going to be #1 in the round) but have to take on a large cap hit for the year? Not really any draw to that. I don't see much of a problem with the 2nd and Jankowski part of the trade (although I'd imagine Ottawa probably holds on to that pick or looks for something more exciting than Jankowski), just that there's absolutely no point to the Stone side of things.

My argument for the move is two fold - Stone is still a serviceable NHL defenceman, but the Flames have too many of them. He is not a 'pure cap dump' to a team like Ottawa that is going to need to spend to get to the cap floor. He also only has the contract for one year, so its not a four or five or six year cap dump. Those are the scary ones. One year, a player to fill a hole they need filled, its not a typical cap dump. He isn't going to be part of any solutions, but he isn't going to be a problem, either. He helps for one year, and then he moves on.

I don't know what kind of bigger fish Ottawa hopes to get for that second. Maybe something though. Who typically goes for a second round pick? Reclamation projects, or depth players that are inconsistent but a team has a roster spot for. Marcus Johansson for a 2nd and a 4th (UFA), Gustav Nyquist for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd (UFA), Zuccarello for a 2nd and a 3rd (UFA). For a 24 year old with term, a second rounder seems pretty fair.
May 21, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: claytron8000
The hankering for Hayes reminds me of Doan/Iginla, Rattie/Baertschi stuff. Top prospects dominate lower leagues. Expecting them to rekindle chemistry years later at the highest level is tough to see.

Yeah, I get that angle. I was more looking at the skill set and cost, not that they used to play together.
May 22, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
look good play good
Calgary's not giving up their 1st for Zucker anymore, Frolik + would do it but they've already confirmed the 1st is off the table at least for this specific deal.
May 22, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
Bet On It
Quoting: KH44
My argument for the move is two fold - Stone is still a serviceable NHL defenceman, but the Flames have too many of them. He is not a 'pure cap dump' to a team like Ottawa that is going to need to spend to get to the cap floor. He also only has the contract for one year, so its not a four or five or six year cap dump. Those are the scary ones. One year, a player to fill a hole they need filled, its not a typical cap dump. He isn't going to be part of any solutions, but he isn't going to be a problem, either. He helps for one year, and then he moves on.

I don't know what kind of bigger fish Ottawa hopes to get for that second. Maybe something though. Who typically goes for a second round pick? Reclamation projects, or depth players that are inconsistent but a team has a roster spot for. Marcus Johansson for a 2nd and a 4th (UFA), Gustav Nyquist for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd (UFA), Zuccarello for a 2nd and a 3rd (UFA). For a 24 year old with term, a second rounder seems pretty fair.

The Sens don't need help spending to the cap floor though. They're expected to be over it for next year thanks to the MacArthur and Gaborik contracts and having guys like Ceci and White they need to re-sign. There's no need to go out and get an aging defender when they already have a clogged blueline with youth they'd rather put in. Chabot, Jaros, Wolanin, and DeMelo are all equal to or better than Stone, and Brannstrom, Lajoie and Harpur are not far behind him but have more upside. Plus Boro and Ceci who management are obsessed with. There's no gain from a serviceable bottom pairing D like Stone. For that reason, he is a pure cap dump to a team like the Sens. He's not filling any hole that they need filled; he's clogging up a spot and he's only saving Calgary cap.

You're right, the 2nd rounder is very fair. That's definitely what I'd expect a guy like Jankowski to go for. We're talking about a team that just finished the first year of their rebuild though. They aren't seeking unproven 24 year olds for draft picks in the top two rounds, they're seeking unproven 21 year olds or 23 year olds they can get for free. I'd say Jankowski is much like Duclair, who they got as a toss in in a Dzingel trade. They didn't give up a solid pick for him. So yes, the trade itself is fair when it comes to value. I just don't see it being a move the Sens would make.
May 23, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: royle9
Calgary's not giving up their 1st for Zucker anymore, Frolik + would do it but they've already confirmed the 1st is off the table at least for this specific deal.

Really? I hadn't seen that anywhere, where is that coming from?
May 23, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.
The Sens don't need help spending to the cap floor though. They're expected to be over it for next year thanks to the MacArthur and Gaborik contracts and having guys like Ceci and White they need to re-sign. There's no need to go out and get an aging defender when they already have a clogged blueline with youth they'd rather put in. Chabot, Jaros, Wolanin, and DeMelo are all equal to or better than Stone, and Brannstrom, Lajoie and Harpur are not far behind him but have more upside. Plus Boro and Ceci who management are obsessed with. There's no gain from a serviceable bottom pairing D like Stone. For that reason, he is a pure cap dump to a team like the Sens. He's not filling any hole that they need filled; he's clogging up a spot and he's only saving Calgary cap.

You're right, the 2nd rounder is very fair. That's definitely what I'd expect a guy like Jankowski to go for. We're talking about a team that just finished the first year of their rebuild though. They aren't seeking unproven 24 year olds for draft picks in the top two rounds, they're seeking unproven 21 year olds or 23 year olds they can get for free. I'd say Jankowski is much like Duclair, who they got as a toss in in a Dzingel trade. They didn't give up a solid pick for him. So yes, the trade itself is fair when it comes to value. I just don't see it being a move the Sens would make.

Fair enough.
Pinto liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll