C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 23, 2019 at 12:31 a.m.
Chicago
Is getting #3 that important? It's one pick up, and 4th overall (although the worst position they could've got), is still a great gift from OTT. Who would you take at 3?
TanSor liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 12:33 a.m.
I don't really see why you'd give up the 16th pick to move up to 3 from 4... Talent-wise this year the guys projected to go picks 3-7ish are all pretty equal.
mhockey91 liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
Quoting: NickC1988
Is getting #3 that important? It's one pick up, and 4th overall (although the worst position they could've got), is still a great gift from OTT. Who would you take at 3?

It all depends if Chicago is going to take byrum. Bowen is one of the best d prospects to come out of the draft in a long time( minus Dalhin) imagine having a top 4 pairing of Makar-Byrum and girard-barrie for the next 10 years. Could not see a better d core in the whole NHL for such a long time. Additionally i don't think they would throw the second first it would most likely be a second and/or a B prospect.
May 23, 2019 at 12:38 a.m.

yea in a different draft this would probably work it but in this one it just doesnt make sense with everything behind picks 1 and 2 being a major question mark
May 23, 2019 at 12:38 a.m.
Chicago
Quoting: Vermathex
It all depends if Chicago is going to take byrum. Bowen is one of the best d prospects to come out of the draft in a long time( minus Dalhin) imagine having a top 4 pairing of Makar-Byrum and girard-barrie for the next 10 years. Could not see a better d core in the whole NHL for such a long time. Additionally i don't think they would throw the second first it would most likely be a second and/or a B prospect.

Chicago seems very likely to take Byram at this point, and I don't think they'll trade down (although I would accept this offer).
May 23, 2019 at 12:40 a.m.
Chicago
Quoting: shmoeman
yea in a different draft this would probably work it but in this one it just doesnt make sense with everything behind picks 1 and 2 being a major question mark

3-9 are apparently locks, we know who those guys are they've just been shuffling around. Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte. It's just a matter of who lands where really. I also believe most of those guys are only a year out. Byram may squeak into an NHL line up though I think he's the complete package.
May 23, 2019 at 12:42 a.m.
Chicago seems very likely to take Byram at this point, and I don't think they'll trade down (although I would accept this offer).

you're right it is a big overpayment and i think the Hawks would be stupid not to take it. It seems to me that all the Avs need is one more top defensive men and a second line center and a little more depth which isn't hard to get. 2nd line centers are usually easy to get in free agency but the stud young defensemen must be drafted in most cases.
May 23, 2019 at 12:43 a.m.
3-9 are apparently locks, we know who those guys are they've just been shuffling around. Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte. It's just a matter of who lands where really. I also believe most of those guys are only a year out. Byram may squeak into an NHL line up though I think he's the complete package.

Would not be surprised if podkolzin is taken in the middle of the first round. One of the most over rated prospects in the draft.
May 23, 2019 at 12:45 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
Quoting: Vermathex

One of Barrie, Girard, or Makar will be gone at the expansion draft. Makar playing in the postseason means that all 3 of them are eligible for the expansion draft, and Colorado HAS to protect Johnson, because of his NMC.
May 23, 2019 at 12:50 a.m.
True Reverse Retro

I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I think Byram is the 3rd best player in the draft, but Chicago has drafted 3 defensemen in the last two 1st Rounds (Jokihaju, Boqvist, & Beaudin). They also have Ian Mitchell knocking on the door after his time at the University of Denver. Chicago's prospect pool is pretty stacked on the defensive end. If I'm Chicago, I seriously consider trading down somewhere between 4 & 6, and picking up one of the non-Kakko & Hughes tier of forwards. Between Dach, Podkolzin, Cozens, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, and Caufield, they'll have plenty to choose from if they decide to move down, and it gives them another pick, or two, to use later on.
May 23, 2019 at 12:56 a.m.
Chicago
Quoting: Heiskanen4Vezina
I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I think Byram is the 3rd best player in the draft, but Chicago has drafted 3 defensemen in the last two 1st Rounds (Jokihaju, Boqvist, & Beaudin). They also have Ian Mitchell knocking on the door after his time at the University of Denver. Chicago's prospect pool is pretty stacked on the defensive end. If I'm Chicago, I seriously consider trading down somewhere between 4 & 6, and picking up one of the non-Kakko & Hughes tier of forwards. Between Dach, Podkolzin, Cozens, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, and Caufield, they'll have plenty to choose from if they decide to move down, and it gives them another pick, or two, to use later on.

I rather take Byram and move a couple of the D prospects you mentioned at that point. Why not get NHL ready players in return instead of more picks?
May 23, 2019 at 1:05 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
I rather take Byram and move a couple of the D prospects you mentioned at that point. Why not get NHL ready players in return instead of more picks?

Boqvist, Beaudin, and Jokihaju are all arguably NHL ready, and should see the NHL shot this season. Individually, Byram is better than Beaudin & Jokiharju, but it’s a good debate on whether he’s better than Boqvist. You run into the question of whether or not Byram is better than two of Mitchell, Beaudin, and Jokiharju. Would you rather have two of those guys or one Byram?
May 23, 2019 at 1:09 a.m.
Chicago
Boqvist, Beaudin, and Jokihaju are all arguably NHL ready, and should see the NHL shot this season. Individually, Byram is better than Beaudin & Jokiharju, but it’s a good debate on whether he’s better than Boqvist. You run into the question of whether or not Byram is better than two of Mitchell, Beaudin, and Jokiharju. Would you rather have two of those guys or one Byram?

Depends though, because moving those guys could bring back serious NHL talent. So the real question is is Byram plus X NHL player(s) better than Beaudin, Joker, and/or Mitchell and I would have to say probably. And a lot of my thought process is; there's 6 D men that play on an NHL roster. Right now there's a surplus (Keith, Murphy, Gustafsson, Forsling, Dahlstrom, Koekkoek, Seabrook, Boqvist, Jokiharju, Beaudin, Byram). Obviously not all will be on the opening night roster, but that's what? 11 guys? Drafiting Byram or not, the hawks are more than likely going to have to move Mitchell/Beaudin and more. Why not get a potential elite D man and move out the top 4 potential guys?
May 23, 2019 at 1:12 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
Depends though, because moving those guys could bring back serious NHL talent. So the real question is is Byram plus X NHL player(s) better than Beaudin, Joker, and/or Mitchell and I would have to say probably. And a lot of my thought process is; there's 6 D men that play on an NHL roster. Right now there's a surplus (Keith, Murphy, Gustafsson, Forsling, Dahlstrom, Koekkoek, Seabrook, Boqvist, Jokiharju, Beaudin, Byram). Obviously not all will be on the opening night roster, but that's what? 11 guys? Drafiting Byram or not, the hawks are more than likely going to have to move Mitchell/Beaudin and more. Why not get a potential elite D man and move out the top 4 potential guys?

By your logic, which is sound, they are very loaded on the back end. They can still move out a defenseman or two and draft an elite forward at the head of the draft. It would give you a well rounded youth core of Boqvist, Beaudin, DeBrincat, and whoever they draft this year. They’re already going to have a stacked back-end. They should focus on bringing the rest of their team around to the same level as the defense they’ll likely have very soon.
May 23, 2019 at 1:32 a.m.
Byram, Cozens, Turcotte. Get one of those guys at #4 and call it a day.
May 23, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: TanSor
I don't really see why you'd give up the 16th pick to move up to 3 from 4... Talent-wise this year the guys projected to go picks 3-7ish are all pretty equal.

I wouldn't make this trade. But I don't think the evaluation of 3-7 is that they are the same.
I have to say I have thought a lot about what I would do with even the number 2 pick in this draft. I know a lot of people think Hughes is the number 1. I think who ever picks first is almost forced to pick him because if they don't and he is a huge success it will be their career.
But number 2, while everyone is taking Kaapo I'm not sure he's the best player available at number 2.
I think Cole Caufield is a very under rated player. He's either 2nd or 3rd on the board. The kid just scores goals like you breath air. No matter where he goes, goals and I do mean a lot of goals are going in net. He racked up 14 in wjc-u18. He racked up 72 for usnt-u18. Think about that 72. Hughes had like 34. I mean when you step back and look at the stats they are kind of unreal. Based on stats alone I think Caufield out played Hughes last year. Who the hell scores 72 goals. That's insane.
I think he's the biggest sleeper in the draft, because I think there is a large possibility he's the best player in it and no one really wants to say it. Who ever gets him is going to get a steal. So I can't say that 3-7 is the same. I don't believe that for one moment.
May 23, 2019 at 2:21 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I would sit at 4 and see what falls to u, with the 16th pick I would attempt to get back into top 8 and if byram isnt there at 4, attempt to get 2/3 of a second line that can compliment the big line, and be patient with them, give them there 9 games if they deserve it and 20/21 cup run
May 23, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
Chicago
By your logic, which is sound, they are very loaded on the back end. They can still move out a defenseman or two and draft an elite forward at the head of the draft. It would give you a well rounded youth core of Boqvist, Beaudin, DeBrincat, and whoever they draft this year. They’re already going to have a stacked back-end. They should focus on bringing the rest of their team around to the same level as the defense they’ll likely have very soon.

While that is a good idea, there's really nowhere to place this young elite talent in the next 5 years besides the 3rd line.With 20 million in cap space I can guarantee you the hawks will be looking to make a splash in free agency.

Free agent-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Saad/Perlini
Cagiulla-Anisimov/3C-Saad/Perlini
Kahun-Kampf-Hayden
May 23, 2019 at 1:01 p.m.
One of Barrie, Girard, or Makar will be gone at the expansion draft. Makar playing in the postseason means that all 3 of them are eligible for the expansion draft, and Colorado HAS to protect Johnson, because of his NMC.

Assuming all 3 are still on the roster at that point and at worst case Johnson doesn't waive NMC for the draft, Sakic would never allow one of those 3 to be taken (Zadorov, if still in the picture, would be the odd man out and eligible to be picked on the back end). Using the protection on 4 D would then only allow for 4 F to be protected (MacK, Mikko, Landy, and most likely Compher/Kerfoot - unless they lock up a bigger FA this year to a 5-6 yr deal (Hayes, Skinner, etc.).

Worst case would be Sakic giving up a draft pick/prospect to keep Seattle from taking a certain player left exposed.

In terms of this trade, I think the Avs would be more than happy having another top forward prospect at 4 and then possibly looking at D or another F again at 16. No need to make a move like that unless the contract situations with Barrie or Zadorov become more clear prior to this year's draft.
May 23, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
While that is a good idea, there's really nowhere to place this young elite talent in the next 5 years besides the 3rd line.With 20 million in cap space I can guarantee you the hawks will be looking to make a splash in free agency.

Free agent-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Saad/Perlini
Cagiulla-Anisimov/3C-Saad/Perlini
Kahun-Kampf-Hayden

But their defense looks like this:

Keith-Seabrook
Gustafson-Boqvist
???-Murphy

And with Keith and Seabrook with full NMC over the next 4 & 5 years, it’s going to be extremely tough to open up some space on the backend. Whoever is drafted at #3 (Assuming it’s a forward) would slot in over Saad/Perlini on the 2nd line pretty well. Saad has kind of fallen off over the last couple of seasons and Perlini hasn’t lived up to a top-6 role yet. Dach/Cozens/Podkolzin/Turcotte would work really well in the top-6 in the not to distant future.
May 27, 2019 at 4:36 a.m.
Yeah no way this trade is happening. Byram would be nice but we are not in desperate need of a D prospect vs an F, and since we are already near the top of that 3-7ish tier it would be foolish to give up #16 to move up just one spot. Unless Joe reaaally wants a specific player, but can't see it. Would be more intrested in trading up from 16 if possible.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll