Forums/Armchair-GM

CHARACTER BUILDING The Lost Art of General Managing

Created by: Freeman
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 23, 2019
Published: May 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I believe in the value of intangibles. Qualities that can’t necessarily be measured in numbers. In life, business, cap league sports teams... everywhere, experts rely on numbers. Stats are analyzed to death. Since the advanced stats of Corsi type breakdowns in hockey folks are just are crazy for analytics. This is a good thing. The more knowledge the better. But are we focusing on all the right information?

When it comes to analysis of human smarts and judgment in the scientific community there is the famous IQ test, which measures a person’s “intelligence quotient”, which we pretty much got down. Then there is the lesser known EQ test “emotional quotient” where there are much more intangibles considered, where a person's personality and integrity come into play. In sports we call these EQ-esque traits “character” and “heart”. It’s what makes a player “good in the locker room” and it’s hard to measure with numerics.

So, as a wish-I-was GM I propose a Toronto Maple Leafs team based on numerics (cap and performance) and character. While addressing their glaring defence issue. Re-singing vets (at the right price) like Tyler Ennis, who showed enough grit to come back from obscurity and be a difference maker again, and Ron Hainsey who while older is still grounding force, a stanley cup champ and a stand-up dude. While also not insulting Patty Marleau, who is the respected father figure on this young team of budding superstars, by asking him to wave his no trade clause.

With character being paramount, I propose a Leafs team that says goodbye to Nylander and Kadri, who are great talents but not necessarily great teammates (they do however maintain good numbers making them tradable to a lot of teams, particularly those in need of offence). Zaitsev is a different story (worse numbers, harder to trade). To get Josh Manson and Sam Steel in a trade with the Ducks, I imagine Leaf ownership yielding their mighty financial sword to sweeten the deal with Kadri and his steal of a contract, some draft pick upgrades (these are hopeful I guess I’d be willing to package a first if necessary) and ultimately by taking a broken IR vet Ryan Kessler and his huge salary. The Leafs can easily eat his 7 mil contract while he retires on Robidas Island. The Ducks can’t. They don’t have this luxury and even begrudgingly would probably have to accept two healthy NHLers for the price of one.
Willie Nylander could bounce back to a perennial 60 point guy. But trading him too makes sense on many levels: We’re deep at right wing; he has become a polarizing figure in Toronto and questionable teammate. He’s shown in the world’s he can still play. Maybe he’d be better off with a fresh start on a new lower profile team?.. like Carolina, who could offer up a solid defender.. like Bret Pesce?
Connor Brown is a class act and leaves on good terms to relieve some cap space and see if he can find a spot beside his buddy McDavd in Edmonton.

My proposed moves are fair, plausible and useful to all the teams involved. Not only do the Leafs get an upgrade in D immediately with excellent (dare I say right handed) defenders like Josh Manson and Pesce, but with the savings, they can re-sign favourites Mitch Marner, Andres Jonnson and Kasperi Kappanen, with rewarding contracts (*Mitch would be the highe$t paid winger in the league).

The NHL season is a dogfight, but the Stanley Cup playoffs are war. To win wars you need soldiers! Men you can trust. Men with.. (yup) Character.

Sincerely, co-founder of the Armchair GM & Chill dating movement,
-        Freeman Dre
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
7$10,500,000
5$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,300,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Kesler, Ryan
  2. Manson, Josh
  3. Steel, Sam
  4. 2019 6th round pick (STL)
ANA
  1. Kadri, Nazem
  2. Zaitsev, Nikita
  3. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
  4. 2019 7th round pick (DAL)
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$73,378,166$0$82,500$9,621,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 23, 2019 at 7:40 a.m.
I actually really like this concept, I just don't wanna see another year of Sparks as the backup lol
May 23, 2019 at 7:43 a.m.
Bcarlo25
Well, the oilers say yes. That’s about the only thing that works
nchest and justaBoss liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 7:47 a.m.
Awesome if Ducks and Canes say yes. But Ducks aren't moving Manson and they wouldn't give you Steel as well. The Canes are likely not moving Pesce now and if they did, they would want Nylander + now. That trade would have worked at the beginning of last year.

Brown for a 3rd works though.
Bcarlo25 and palhal liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 7:51 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
" The Leafs can easily eat his 7 mil contract while he retires on Robidas Island. The Ducks can’t. They don’t have this luxury and even begrudgingly would probably have to accept two healthy NHLers for the price of one." Huh? Huh?
Part of GMing is understand LTIRs. Ducks don't do that trade because Kesler being on LTIR does not affect their cap at all. Why can Leaf "eat" his contract and Ducks "can't"? The NHL, doctors, insurance companies decides if player if eligible for LTIR...not the team. Robidas Island is term used for teams falsifying LTIR's for getting space. Nice that you think Kelser is falsifying his injuries just so he can retire and get paid. And you talk about "character" on a team.
Salzy and TanSor liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:11 a.m.
Really like the description. Your rationale makes sense to me on a few levels. Nicely done.
May 23, 2019 at 8:28 a.m.
The ducks don't do that trade, neither does Kesler he's said in the past he won't waive his NMC, The ducks onwer is worth Billions of dollars, we can just put Kesler on the LTIR ourselves we don't need another team to "eat cap"
TanSor and palhal liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
" The Leafs can easily eat his 7 mil contract while he retires on Robidas Island. The Ducks can’t. They don’t have this luxury and even begrudgingly would probably have to accept two healthy NHLers for the price of one." Huh? Huh?
Part of GMing is understand LTIRs. Ducks don't do that trade because Kesler being on LTIR does not affect their cap at all. Why can Leaf "eat" his contract and Ducks "can't"? The NHL, doctors, insurance companies decides if player if eligible for LTIR...not the team. Robidas Island is term used for teams falsifying LTIR's for getting space. Nice that you think Kelser is falsifying his injuries just so he can retire and get paid. And you talk about "character" on a team.

Ducks finished the season in ranked 25th in attendance I believe if they can move kesler to pay a player that will actually contribute next season I believe they will. No sense in paying a player nearly 7 million for nothing when the team could be hurting for cash as it is. Kesler just also had major hip surgery where the suggested recovery is minimum 8 months, Im no doctor but I don't think he will be cleared to play next year and its not just the Leafs greasing the CBA.
May 23, 2019 at 8:41 a.m.
So much analyzing destroyed by Fantasy trades.....
palhal and TanSor liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:44 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy
The ducks don't do that trade, neither does Kesler he's said in the past he won't waive his NMC, The ducks onwer is worth Billions of dollars, we can just put Kesler on the LTIR ourselves we don't need another team to "eat cap"

Kesler doesn't care if he gets traded or not because he'll never play again.
May 23, 2019 at 8:47 a.m.
Quoting: Jeff_Fingers_Agnet04
Ducks finished the season in ranked 25th in attendance I believe if they can move kesler to pay a player that will actually contribute next season I believe they will. No sense in paying a player nearly 7 million for nothing when the team could be hurting for cash as it is. Kesler just also had major hip surgery where the suggested recovery is minimum 8 months, Im no doctor but I don't think he will be cleared to play next year and its not just the Leafs greasing the CBA.

I don't see what attendance has to do with paying kesler, as I said in my last post the owner of the ducks is worth billions so he isnt exactly hurting for money, the leafs aren't the only team that can use the LTIR
TanSor liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:49 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

What is this about "paying a player nearly 7 for nothing". Isn't insurance paying for LTIR? Gee, if you think the injured players are "greasing the CBA"shakes head Due to Kesler being on LTIR. the Ducks get 6.8m cap relief, so they sign another player to contribute next season.. They don't have trade Kesler to get cap relief. And if they don't get cap. relief, why would the Leafs trade for Kesler? Again we get into this non sensical believe that teams are cap punished for having LTIR players, teams are paying out of pocket for LTIR players, and all players want LTIR just so they get paid.
Salzy liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:50 a.m.
Quoting: yesyesyes
Kesler doesn't care if he gets traded or not because he'll never play again.

Doesnt change the fact the ducks dont do that trade and don't need another team to eat his contract, Hes said he wants to stay in Anaheim whether hes playing or not doesnt mean hes suddenly ok with waiving it last time he got asked he said he wouldn't regardless of circumstance so im gonna stick with his word
palhal and TanSor liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:52 a.m.
Melnyk is also worth over a billion dollar he just loves putting players on LTIR and paying his superstar players, bottom line is that its business and he would rather get some current value for Kessler like a prospect or a current roster player. He has an opportunity to bless a team in cap hell to help improve his current roster, im not saying the trade proposed is fair but he will without a doubt explore his options with Kesler on LTIR.
yesyesyes liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 8:57 a.m.
What is this about "paying a player nearly 7 for nothing". Isn't insurance paying for LTIR? Gee, if you think the injured players are "greasing the CBA"shakes head Due to Kesler being on LTIR. the Ducks get 6.8m cap relief, so they sign another player to contribute next season.. They don't have trade Kesler to get cap relief. And if they don't get cap. relief, why would the Leafs trade for Kesler? Again we get into this non sensical believe that teams are cap punished for having LTIR players, teams are paying out of pocket for LTIR players, and all players want LTIR just so they get paid.

Just making the assumption that a team that ranks 25th in the NHL for attendance isn’t exactly going to want to spend money on broken goods
May 23, 2019 at 8:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Salzy
Doesnt change the fact the ducks dont do that trade and don't need another team to eat his contract, Hes said he wants to stay in Anaheim whether hes playing or not doesnt mean hes suddenly ok with waiving it last time he got asked he said he wouldn't regardless of circumstance so im gonna stick with his word

You mentioned a good point about Kesler not waiving his NMC. Even if there was a benefit to the Ducks trading Kesler, why should Kelser go through the hassle of reporting to that team and taking endless medicals maybe in in a faraway city away from California home. 99% of the time, the trading LTIR are absolutely meaning to teams and their caps, but as you see we keep on writing about them on this site
TanSor and Salzy liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 9:01 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Just making the assumption that a team that ranks 25th in the NHL for attendance isn’t exactly going to want to spend money on broken goods

What money are they spending????? Kesler is on LTIR which is covered by insurance 99% of the time, so what's the issue? Show us that Kesler is costing the Ducks actual $$$$$,then you might have a point, till then it's just LTIR nonsense.
Salzy liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 9:07 a.m.
Insurance doesn’t kick in until the player has been on LTIR for 40 games into the season so if you want to pay half of Kesler’s salary for literally no reason versus moving him to help improve your current or future roster then you do you. The Ducks are clearly past the hump and making a move like this could help salvage the final few good years left of Perry and Getzlaf
May 23, 2019 at 9:14 a.m.
What in tarnation
Great description, but not so great trades I'm afraid. Kesler will be on LTIR, he won't effect to the cap, Manson is their only RHD currently and Steel is one of their better prospects. ANA doesn't get anything too tempting in this move. They'd probably be willing to take Zaitsev for a draft pick.

As for CAR, I don't see Pesce being available. Value-wise that trade works, but considering Pesce's contract and the fact that their RHDs are on quite short-term contracts and they have no true NHL level prospects in RHDs...I'd say their hands are tied. Moving Pesce would cause more problems than it would solve.

That EDM trade is fine though.
Salzy, TanSor and blowing_the_zone liked this.
May 23, 2019 at 9:20 a.m.
As others have said, Ducks (and Kesler) say no.

I think Carolina and Edmonton would say no as well. Pesce was a beast in the playoffs on the top pairing with Slavin. I've always liked Nylander and felt his downfalls are overblown, but he's not worth Pesce at this point in time. If he can prove he's a consistent 70-80p C/RW, then he would be, but until then he's not. Connor Brown is a bottom 6 replaceable winger. I don't see why any team would be willing to give up more than a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Sure, Boyle got a 2nd in a trade, but a) I think the Preds overpaid and b) he's also a center which gives him more value. If I'm a GM, I offer a 4th for Connor Brown and if Dubas says no then I just sign a guy to a league min contract, save more than $1M, and keep my draft pick.
May 23, 2019 at 9:59 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Insurance doesn’t kick in until the player has been on LTIR for 40 games into the season so if you want to pay half of Kesler’s salary for literally no reason versus moving him to help improve your current or future roster then you do you. The Ducks are clearly past the hump and making a move like this could help salvage the final few good years left of Perry and Getzlaf

Kesler was on LTIR last season so when does magical 40 games kicks in. All you're talking about is money, not cap. So even if Ducks have to pay Kesler some actual $$$$, it does affect the cap and their ability to sign players. Even half a season of salary is 3.4m,, not that significant when the teams operating budget in a year is 140m.
May 23, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.
Kesler was on LTIR last season so when does magical 40 games kicks in. All you're talking about is money, not cap. So even if Ducks have to pay Kesler some actual $$$$, it does affect the cap and their ability to sign players. Even half a season of salary is 3.4m,, not that significant when the teams operating budget in a year is 140m.

Great business mind you have, lets pay someone 3.4 million for literally no reason instead of using it to improve a organization prized for a rebuild
May 23, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
Godfried
Anaheim says no but more harshly
May 23, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Great business mind you have, lets pay someone 3.4 million for literally no reason instead of using it to improve a organization prized for a rebuild

No, I have a better business mind that you. I would upgrade my team with Kelser LTIR cap space instead of taking the unwanted cap in the trade. With the upgraded team, my team In better, more people in the stands and a playoff position. I would recover the LTIR money easily. Of course that business of the team paying out of pocket for the LTIR is just phoney argument anyway. We see a lots of useless LTIR for non factual reasons like the one you are giving trying to justify a silly trade.
May 23, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
No, I have a better business mind that you. I would upgrade my team with Kelser LTIR cap space instead of taking the unwanted cap in the trade. With the upgraded team, my team In better, more people in the stands and a playoff position. I would recover the LTIR money easily. Of course that business of the team paying out of pocket for the LTIR is just phoney argument anyway. We see a lots of useless LTIR for non factual reasons like the one you are giving trying to justify a silly trade.

if your going to critique what I am saying at least be factual, to "upgrade" your team you need to take on cap. My suggestion wasn't that the trade proposed was fair, I literally said moving him will help the current and future roster which is exactly what you just said (E
May 23, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
if your going to critique what I am saying at least be factual, to "upgrade" your team you need to take on cap. My suggestion wasn't that the trade proposed was fair, I literally said moving him will help the current and future roster which is exactly what you just said (E

Well Jeff Finger's Agent was brilliant.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll