SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Brock Nelson (6 Years / $6,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 24, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
jamatulli
This contract was a must. The Isles have no center depth, and the open market didn't either. Duchene seems to be set on where he's going, and the only other player close to Nelson's production would have been Hayes, which would have led to a bidding war. A safe contract, even though the term could've been a little more team-friendly.
May 24, 2019 at 5:26 p.m.
jamatulli
Quoting: Hkyins
Yikes, the canes signed TT for 5x5,4. Compared to that this seems like a huge overpay

Not when it's a position of need with no depth on the open market. He was getting more in free agency and there were no other viable options.
May 24, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
Quoting: jamatulli
Not when it's a position of need with no depth on the open market. He was getting more in free agency and there were no other viable options.

There is plenty of players playing in Europe who could replace him for much less than 6 million
May 24, 2019 at 6:01 p.m.
Overpaying contract he doesn't deserve as much as they give him credit for.
May 24, 2019 at 9:23 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Im glad Bergevin locked up Danault for 3m$ before this second line centers madness
May 24, 2019 at 11:01 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
OVER 20 some goals. Man basic reading comprehension. In other words, he's show nothing to assume he'd be a regular 30 goal scorer.
The contracts you are looking at small examples in a bubble of much larger pool. Most of those contracts came out of two places. Edmonton and Toronto. Period. You can look at the league where RFA have been paid a lot less. Guentzel, Kucherov, Pasta....I can go on and on. So lets not look at things in a bubble. In general, RFA's have taken less money than UFA. That's pretty much a fact and stats bare that out.

Also, your whole 15% 40% whatever is meaningless. The difference you are pointing out is in assists. His goal production is virtually the same. I'm sorry you over value assists, I don't. Especially on a team where he is surrounded with talent. Making that mistake is how people think Marner is worth 11+ million. While he's a 20 goal scorer. That's a hard pill to swallow for me. I don't think he's worth that. Not saying the idiot in toronto won't give it to him, he's shown to be totally incompetent, but I would think most people would pause before handing a guy with 20 some goals and like 60+ assists an 11 million contract. Because in general, the assists yeah they are nice and all, but they just don't weight what you think they do.

if you think the islanders are the "highest scoring team in the league" last year, you should just delete your account and stop posting.
Honestly I don't have time with people who just make things up off the top of their had that have no sense of reality.

Have a good day, you are just flat out wrong.

Teravainen is a much better comp for Nylander. They're of similar age and they had similar numbers on their ELC's (actually, Nylander's were better). But, Teravainen just had a monster breakout season while Nylander struggled to find his niche, despite playing w/ very high end talent. I wanna reserve judgment on Nylander until after next season. I've been critical of him and Dubas, but he deserves a full season. But he better be north of 70 points and good defensively if he wants to live up to his massive contract.
May 25, 2019 at 9:03 p.m.
OVER 20 some goals. Man basic reading comprehension. In other words, he's show nothing to assume he'd be a regular 30 goal scorer.
The contracts you are looking at small examples in a bubble of much larger pool. Most of those contracts came out of two places. Edmonton and Toronto. Period. You can look at the league where RFA have been paid a lot less. Guentzel, Kucherov, Pasta....I can go on and on. So lets not look at things in a bubble. In general, RFA's have taken less money than UFA. That's pretty much a fact and stats bare that out.

Also, your whole 15% 40% whatever is meaningless. The difference you are pointing out is in assists. His goal production is virtually the same. I'm sorry you over value assists, I don't. Especially on a team where he is surrounded with talent. Making that mistake is how people think Marner is worth 11+ million. While he's a 20 goal scorer. That's a hard pill to swallow for me. I don't think he's worth that. Not saying the idiot in toronto won't give it to him, he's shown to be totally incompetent, but I would think most people would pause before handing a guy with 20 some goals and like 60+ assists an 11 million contract. Because in general, the assists yeah they are nice and all, but they just don't weight what you think they do.

if you think the islanders are the "highest scoring team in the league" last year, you should just delete your account and stop posting.
Honestly I don't have time with people who just make things up off the top of their had that have no sense of reality.

"The difference you are pointing out is in assists. His goal production is virtually the same. I'm sorry you over value assists, I don't"

Ya man ... if they're both 20 goal players but ...

- One guy gets 42 assists for 62 points
- One guy gets 18 assists for 38 points

It means virtually nothing ...

NICE
Random2152 liked this.
May 25, 2019 at 9:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: drewjenks
"The difference you are pointing out is in assists. His goal production is virtually the same. I'm sorry you over value assists, I don't"

Ya man ... if they're both 20 goal players but ...

- One guy gets 42 assists for 62 points
- One guy gets 18 assists for 38 points

It means virtually nothing ...

NICE

dude go back to thinking the islanders are the top scoring team in the league. Seriously bye. Don't have time for nonsense.
May 25, 2019 at 9:13 p.m.
Edited May 25, 2019 at 9:19 p.m.

"If you think the islanders are the "highest scoring team in the league" last year, you should just delete your account and stop posting"

LMAO ... I said ONE OF the highest scoring teams in the league last year

And they we're 7th highest in 2017-19 ... which is last year since 2018-19 is still being played.

And Brock Nelson only got 16 assists that year ... so there goes your theory.

BTW ... CONNOR MCDAVID signed the largest contract in league history after a 30 goal / 70 assist season ... he came 26th place in goals that year ....

STILL THINK ASSISTS ARE MEANINGLESS TO CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS ???
May 25, 2019 at 9:20 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Teravainen is a much better comp for Nylander. They're of similar age and they had similar numbers on their ELC's (actually, Nylander's were better). But, Teravainen just had a monster breakout season while Nylander struggled to find his niche, despite playing w/ very high end talent. I wanna reserve judgment on Nylander until after next season. I've been critical of him and Dubas, but he deserves a full season. But he better be north of 70 points and good defensively if he wants to live up to his massive contract.

May 25, 2019 at 9:22 p.m.

"OVER 20 some goals"

Ya ... that doesn't mean 30 goal scorer.

LMAO
May 25, 2019 at 9:23 p.m.
dude go back to thinking the islanders are the top scoring team in the league. Seriously bye. Don't have time for nonsense.

"One of" ... they were 7th highest ... like a said.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Quoting: Hurricanes73
He is okay but this kinda confirms that eberle will leave and they are looking to run with their current team

SIKE
Jun. 29, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
This is a Great Contract now
EsoYeezus69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit