Forums/Armchair-GM

Helping Nashville Sign Duchenne

Created by: Gerber14
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 26, 2019
Published: May 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
While the Habs could go all in for Duchenne and sign him to massive deal over 8M, I think Turris is a smarter choice. The Habs will have some tough decisions to make during the expansion draft and with a number of contracts up all in the same year. Turris allows the Habs to keep their cap space and get a big center that can win faceoffs, I think in a bigger role he's a great player which he has showed during the world championships. In Nashville he didn't get the same ice time he got in Ottawa where he always played well against the Habs. The Habs system suits his style and can allow Domi on the wing in a stronger offensive role. I think Nashville will be happy with the return getting depth players that can step up and a younger prospect in return for one they likely can't resign next year. The Murray trade gives the Jackets some picks back and two players capable playing in the NHL for Murray who hasn't stayed healthy and is on the bottom side of their depth.

End result the Habs have not only a stronger NHL club but a lot stronger farm team that both could go far in the spring. The Habs have some cap space which they can use at the deadline where I think they should likely try to dump Alzner's contract so they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft next season.

Let me know what you think, at first glance Nashville deal looks silly but if they're going all in this year and are going for Duchenne like it's been announced I believe they do it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,800,000
2$2,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
4$4,000,000
2$800,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Trenin, Yakov
  2. Turris, Kyle ($400,000 retained)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (COL)
NSH
  1. Deslauriers, Nicolas
  2. Fonstad, Cole [Reserve List]
  3. Hudon, Charles [RFA Rights]
  4. Ouellet, Xavier [RFA Rights]
  5. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
MTL
  1. Murray, Ryan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Peca, Matthew ($300,000 retained)
  2. Reilly, Mike [RFA Rights]
  3. Vejdemo, Lukas
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
  5. 2019 4th round pick (COL)
  6. 2019 5th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$79,380,476$0$2,500,000$3,619,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$5,600,000$5,600,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 26, 2019 at 11:40 p.m.
About the only thing interesting in that Columbus trade is your second... and Murray is worth more then that. Try again with more Quality and less Quantity.
May 26, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
Gerber14
Quoting: Ajp_18
About the only thing interesting in that Columbus trade is your second... and Murray is worth more then that. Try again with more Quality and less Quantity.

Don't you think teams are going to play hard ball with cap stricken teams? Obviously you never want to help another team but when you're taking that big of contract off them(Nashville) so they can sign someone who's on obvious upgrade. In regards to Columbus, they went all in and they're going to lose three key players they're not going to be the same team, I'd maybe toss in Fleury in the deal but I don't think they'd be interested in him. Thanks for the feedback!
May 27, 2019 at 12:45 a.m.
Quoting: Gerber14
Don't you think teams are going to play hard ball with cap stricken teams? Obviously you never want to help another team but when you're taking that big of contract off them(Nashville) so they can sign someone who's on obvious upgrade. In regards to Columbus, they went all in and they're going to lose three key players they're not going to be the same team, I'd maybe toss in Fleury in the deal but I don't think they'd be interested in him. Thanks for the feedback!

Columbus has 0 cap problems and they don’t want your depth players and meh picks. All I was saying is maybe try offering up something a little more appealing then what you have.
May 27, 2019 at 1:01 a.m.
I do like the idea of getting turries but 1 i dont see what we could give up to get him, hes too good just to be a cap dump and 2 these trades are ridiculously bad make legit trades so we can give cobstructive feedback
May 27, 2019 at 1:02 a.m.
Gerber14
Quoting: Poehling
keyboard warrior ? I just said lol cause it doesnt make sense. So if you do Deslauriers for McDavid you want us to say : Hey bud, McDavid is a better player because he's faster etc ?

Then say it doesn't make sense don't put lol which you have done on a numerous occasions to me which obviously sounds like you think my posts are joke, I'll gladly back-up my thinking on all trades but hate getting silly comments from someone who doesn't make an effort to see my way of thinking. Like I said before I'd just prefer you don't comment on my posts unless you're going to ask a serious question or give on honest answer not a quick remark just to get likes. You obviously love this website as you post on it weekly, why would you want to put down other people who are enjoying the website just like you just because you don't understand.

Just to share my way of thinking further; I hope you read my description earlier too as I mentioned a team like Nashville who wasn't happy with Turris and are trying to sign Duchene would gladly take in young depth players or cheaper players plus prospects and picks for Turris because they don't want money coming back in the deal unless they're getting an elite player which the Habs aren't going to do. It may be a low ball offer but no team is going to give up a first for Turris after that season, if they do it's a mistake. Knowing how cap struck the Preds/Bolts/Leafs/Knights/Jets are should really give the other teams the advantage in trades and allow for some one sided deals do you not agree?
So instead of the deal being just what I posted, imagine the deal being made on the basis Duchene signs there, so Nashville gets Duchenne, a second, a 4th line grinder that would likely play very little but can step up, two players that provide depth with NHL experience that come cheap and a very young prospect while only giving up a 4th pick, a player they're upgrading at the position and a low level prospect that likely wouldn't be signed back. I know it doesn't work like that at all but GM's know pretty well at the draft how good their chances are with free agent's which is why draft Day is always so busy.
May 27, 2019 at 1:07 a.m.
Gerber14
Quoting: highcaliber101
I do like the idea of getting turries but 1 i dont see what we could give up to get him, hes too good just to be a cap dump and 2 these trades are ridiculously bad make legit trades so we can give cobstructive feedback

I honestly don't see why their bad trades, judge me if you want, Murray wants a fresh start there's three players in the depth chart above him now and CBJ needs some picks back, if Nashville signs Duchenne then tries to move Turris, Turris has almost no value anymore since every team knows they need him gone to stay under the cap, which is where I'm at already since the Preds have been so public about going after Duchene just like Montreal
May 27, 2019 at 1:18 a.m.
Gerber14
Quoting: Ajp_18
Columbus has 0 cap problems and they don’t want your depth players and meh picks. All I was saying is maybe try offering up something a little more appealing then what you have.

I was talking about the Preds in regards to Cap issues sorry for the confusion. Murray is on the outside looking in there now, his team doesn't believe in him anymore and CBJ has only 7 (possibly 6) out of 14 draft picks for the next two years. The Habs have 19...I was tossing in 5-7 round picks because those are usually lucky picks if one makes it but CBJ will be cap struck if they do sign a lot of UFA'S to replace their own UFA's leaving, if I were them I would trade a UFA's signing rights to restock picks, I'm sure Florida would give up some of their 17 picks to be able to talk and potentially sign Artemi and Bob to 8 year deals
May 27, 2019 at 1:26 a.m.
Mark
Hey Pal appreciate if you stop posting on teams I make. Youu constantly mock what I do and what a ton of others do and this isn't what this site is for. It's for fun and for jokes and you're taking the fun out of it. If you want to give your honest opinion go ahead but quit acting like your opinion is the best one and give honest feedback instead of being a keyboard warrior.

I completely agree with you: There is a way to disagree with someone without making them feel bad, you know? It wonderfully displayed what is going on in the world today. I create teams for fun, but I never look at comments because they're all created by people that think they know everything and hardly ever do (Neither do I). The coolest part of this website? it's supposed to be fun. smile

As far as the team itself: I hear you on the argument for Turris, but if the Habs were to take him, they should ask for far more in retained salary. Nashville will most likely NEED to get rid of that contract, so the Habs would be doing them a favor, not the other way around. If they would be unwilling to budge on salary retention, I would ask for a good prospect or higher pick in return, or both.

I love Murray, but the Habs would probably need to give up more to get him. Maybe throw in a higher level defensive prospect (Noah Juulsen?), a second and Armia for him would do it. The fact remains that left handed d-men are hard to come by and other GMs know it. Our 15th overall pick and a Teasdale could get that done without trading a roster player (?)
May 27, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Then say it doesn't make sense don't put lol which you have done on a numerous occasions to me which obviously sounds like you think my posts are joke, I'll gladly back-up my thinking on all trades but hate getting silly comments from someone who doesn't make an effort to see my way of thinking. Like I said before I'd just prefer you don't comment on my posts unless you're going to ask a serious question or give on honest answer not a quick remark just to get likes. You obviously love this website as you post on it weekly, why would you want to put down other people who are enjoying the website just like you just because you don't understand.

Just to share my way of thinking further; I hope you read my description earlier too as I mentioned a team like Nashville who wasn't happy with Turris and are trying to sign Duchene would gladly take in young depth players or cheaper players plus prospects and picks for Turris because they don't want money coming back in the deal unless they're getting an elite player which the Habs aren't going to do. It may be a low ball offer but no team is going to give up a first for Turris after that season, if they do it's a mistake. Knowing how cap struck the Preds/Bolts/Leafs/Knights/Jets are should really give the other teams the advantage in trades and allow for some one sided deals do you not agree?
So instead of the deal being just what I posted, imagine the deal being made on the basis Duchene signs there, so Nashville gets Duchenne, a second, a 4th line grinder that would likely play very little but can step up, two players that provide depth with NHL experience that come cheap and a very young prospect while only giving up a 4th pick, a player they're upgrading at the position and a low level prospect that likely wouldn't be signed back. I know it doesn't work like that at all but GM's know pretty well at the draft how good their chances are with free agent's which is why draft Day is always so busy.

For Turris a 2nd + Deslauriers should do it. You dont have to include Hudon Ouellet Fonstad, it’s useless. But Turris isn’t a good fit with Mtl because we already have young centers coming soon. Buffalo, for exemple, need a 2nd Center & have cap space. This team is a good fit for Turris.

For Murray, the 2nd round pick is good. Vejdemo bring a little bit of value, but you need to add another strong piece. Maybe Lehkonen should do it, but me Im 100% a Lehkonen guy and I dont want the habs trading him. 2 2nd round pick might might not do it, Im not sure
May 27, 2019 at 1:28 a.m.
Quoting: markmws
I completely agree with you: There is a way to disagree with someone without making them feel bad, you know? It wonderfully displayed what is going on in the world today. I create teams for fun, but I never look at comments because they're all created by people that think they know everything and hardly ever do (Neither do I). The coolest part of this website? it's supposed to be fun. smile

As far as the team itself: I hear you on the argument for Turris, but if the Habs were to take him, they should ask for far more in retained salary. Nashville will most likely NEED to get rid of that contract, so the Habs would be doing them a favor, not the other way around. If they would be unwilling to budge on salary retention, I would ask for a good prospect or higher pick in return, or both.

I love Murray, but the Habs would probably need to give up more to get him. Maybe throw in a higher level defensive prospect (Noah Juulsen?), a second and Armia for him would do it. The fact remains that left handed d-men are hard to come by and other GMs know it. Our 15th overall pick and a Teasdale could get that done without trading a roster player (?)

The 15th OA worth more than Murray
May 27, 2019 at 7:12 a.m.
interesting idea turris..... but i think poehling can be that player and much cheaper too.... I think duchene makes more sense but he wont come here...... best just play the kids and let the team grow that way......that ld is a more pressing need

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll