SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Lean Bergmann (3 Years / $925,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 28, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
Lean Bergmann has signed a new contract with the San Jose Sharks.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Doug Wilson
Length: 3 years
Value: $2,775,000
Expiry Status: RFA
Cap % Tooltip: 1.05
Signing Team: Logo of the San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks
Signing Date: May 28, 2019
Source: CapFriendly

Lean Bergmann signed a 3 year, $2,775,000 contract with the San Jose Sharks on May 28, 2019. The contract has a cap hit of $836,667.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2019-20$836,667$925,000$132,500$92,500$700,000$792,500$70,000
2020-21$836,667$925,000$132,500$92,500$700,000$792,500$70,000
2021-22$836,667$925,000$0$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL$2,510,001$2,775,000$265,000$277,500$2,232,500$2,510,000$210,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
European Union This contract includes a European Assignment Clause
TERMINATED: This contract was terminated (San Jose Sharks - Jul. 24, 2021)
May 28, 2019 at 6:26 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Is this a made up name?
AwesomeMatthews liked this.
May 28, 2019 at 6:41 p.m.
@the mods, can you explain this? He's an eligible prospect in the 2019 draft according to Elite Prospects
May 28, 2019 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
@the mods, can you explain this? He's an eligible prospect in the 2019 draft according to Elite Prospects

Anyone who passes through their initial draft year is eligible to sign with any team. While he would have been eligible to re-enter the draft, doesn't mean that he's required to do so the same way a player In the first year of draft eligibility would be.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 28, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Anyone who passes through their initial draft year is eligible to sign with any team. While he would have been eligible to re-enter the draft, doesn't mean that he's required to do so the same way a player In the first year of draft eligibility would be.

I don't think that's the case. They are eligible to sign from the end of the draft to the beginning of the season. Case in point : Brett Leason. Unless there is a hidden clause in the rule book, I'm pretty sure this signing is illegal
May 28, 2019 at 7:52 p.m.
I don't think that's the case. They are eligible to sign from the end of the draft to the beginning of the season. Case in point : Brett Leason. Unless there is a hidden clause in the rule book, I'm pretty sure this signing is illegal

Sens were able to sign Aaron Luchuk mid season last year, and he would have been in the same situation as Leason I believe. I'm pretty sure Leason chose to re-enter the draft rather than sign a contract.
May 28, 2019 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Sens were able to sign Aaron Luchuk mid season last year, and he would have been in the same situation as Leason I believe. I'm pretty sure Leason chose to re-enter the draft rather than sign a contract.

??? That makes no sense my dude.
If you are eligible for the draft, you can't sign with a team. I'd like the Mods to help me understand this @Banks @CapFriendly
May 28, 2019 at 9:54 p.m.
Banned
If you are eligible for the draft, you can't sign with a team. I'd like the Mods to help me understand this @Banks @CapFriendly

that is just flat out wrong.
If you declare for the draft and you are not drafted you are free to sign anywhere you want.
May 28, 2019 at 10:58 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
that is just flat out wrong.
If you declare for the draft and you are not drafted you are free to sign anywhere you want.

You don't "declare for the draft" there are rules in place that allow you to sign with a team or go into the draft.
May 28, 2019 at 11:45 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
from the CBA, section 10.1 "Unrestricted Free Agents," subsection (d), "Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents," sub-subsection (i):
Quote:
Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b).

Bergmann is ineligible for the draft because, from the CBA, section 8.4, "Eligibility for Claim":
Quote:
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
[...]
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d)

Bergmann played in the USHL for a couple of years. he also counts as 21 years of age for the purposes of this section because, from section 8.10, "Age of Players":
Quote:
As used in this Article, [...]"age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft

Bergmann will, indeed, be 21 by the time December 31, 2019 rolls around, so he counts as age 21 for the purposes of the 2019 draft and is thus ineligible, per Section 8.4(a)(iv). this thus makes him a Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agent, per Section 10.1(d)(i).
Paatre, weirfanno1 and yesido liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 3:38 a.m.
Banned
You don't "declare for the draft" there are rules in place that allow you to sign with a team or go into the draft.

WRONG

"All players who plan to make themselves available for selection for the first time in the draft are required to officially opt-in via a written document submitted to the NHL. Almost all eligible players do so but there are some exceptions. There are occasionally players who simply forget to do it or fail to file the proper paperwork. Some players may be a first-time eligible but have suffered a bad injury, or have had a bad season, and decide to opt out to wait for a year."

Don't sit here and post about **** you know nothing about.

You OPT in. You have to declare if you will be eligible. You may remove yourself, that means you WILL NOT play in the NHL that year. After you have been though the draft and no one has selected you, you are free to sign with any team you CHOOSE.
May 29, 2019 at 3:44 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
from the CBA, section 10.1 "Unrestricted Free Agents," subsection (d), "Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents," sub-subsection (i):
Quote:
Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b).

Bergmann is ineligible for the draft because, from the CBA, section 8.4, "Eligibility for Claim":
Quote:
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
[...]

(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d)

Bergmann played in the USHL for a couple of years. he also counts as 21 years of age for the purposes of this section because, from section 8.10, "Age of Players":
Quote:
As used in this Article, [...]"age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft

Bergmann will, indeed, be 21 by the time December 31, 2019 rolls around, so he counts as age 21 for the purposes of the 2019 draft and is thus ineligible, per Section 8.4(a)(iv). this thus makes him a Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agent, per Section 10.1(d)(i).

The age means nothing. If you are not selected you are free to sign.

Here is an example
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jordy-bellerive
He went undrafted. Was signed in SIGNING DATE: September 16, 2017, is only 20 years of age today BORN: May 2, 1999

You do not need to wait. If you are undrafted, you are free to sign anywhere you choose. It's why teams scout the remaining draft pool and sign kids that did not get picked. It is one of the reasons they limited the number of rounds in the NHL draft, which use to be much longer.
May 29, 2019 at 7:59 a.m.
Sensible Commentary

Here is an example
He went undrafted. Was signed in SIGNING DATE: September 16, 2017, is only 20 years of age today BORN: May 2, 1999

You do not need to wait. If you are undrafted, you are free to sign anywhere you choose. It's why teams scout the remaining draft pool and sign kids that did not get picked. It is one of the reasons they limited the number of rounds in the NHL draft, which use to be much longer.

Quote:

Take a chill pill. Bergmann's signing by the Sharks fell under the purview of him not being eligible for the draft anymore, but, yes, he had the opportunity to sign with anybody when he went undrafted in previous years.
May 29, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
Quote:

Take a chill pill. Bergmann's signing by the Sharks fell under the purview of him not being eligible for the draft anymore, but, yes, he had the opportunity to sign with anybody when he went undrafted in previous years.

I'm not gonna reply to the other guy cause he's cluesless. How are you not eligible at 19? Elite prospects got it wrong
May 29, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Quote:
[...]

Quote:

Here is an example

You do not need to wait. If you are undrafted, you are free to sign anywhere you choose. It's why teams scout the remaining draft pool and sign kids that did not get picked. It is one of the reasons they limited the number of rounds in the NHL draft, which use to be much longer.[/quote]

He was 20 years old. Not draft eligible anymore. This guy doesn't work
May 29, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
Edited May 29, 2019 at 11:52 a.m.
He was 20 years old. Not draft eligible anymore. This guy doesn't work

Bellerive had the opportunity to sign at age 18, after he was passed over once, because there's a window for players passed over in the draft to sign with a team. Section 8.9, "Eligibility for Play in the League":
Quote:
No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
[...]
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:
[...]
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

Bellerive impressed at the Penguins' development camp and got a SPC from it (so did Alex D'Orio). This clause of the CBA is why they were allowed to sign despite still having future draft eligibility. Bergmann had aged out of draft eligibility and was a free agent as a result. Aaron Luchuk had also aged out of draft eligibility and was thus able to sign a SPC mid-season like he did.
HabsForEver liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 11:50 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

For a Habs example see Jöel Teasdale. If not for signing with Montreal in the fall, he would have been eligible for this year’s draft.
DragonRaptorHybrid liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.
Bellerive had the opportunity to sign at age 18, after he was passed over once, because there's a window for players passed over in the draft to sign with a team. Section 8.9, "Eligibility for Play in the League":
Quote:
[...]
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:
[...]
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

Bellerive impressed at the Penguins' development camp and got a SPC from it (so did Alex D'Orio). This clause of the CBA is why they were allowed to sign despite still having future draft eligibility. Bergmann had aged out of draft eligibility and was a free agent as a result. Aaron Luchuk had also aged out of draft eligibility and was thus able to sign a SPC mid-season like he did.

Quote:
[...]
[...]

So Elite Prospects is wrong? They have Bergmann as an eligible 2019 draft prospect
May 29, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
Quoting: EthanK24
For a Habs example see Jöel Teasdale. If not for signing with Montreal in the fall, he would have been eligible for this year’s draft.

I understand the rule about signing in the offseason, but it's may and Elite Prospects has him as an eligible draft prospect.

I guess Elite Prospect is wrong
May 29, 2019 at 3:24 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
So Elite Prospects is wrong? They have Bergmann as an eligible 2019 draft prospect
yeah. I think they made that assumption because players playing in European leagues have an extra year of eligibility in the draft (i.e. players playing in North American leagues are eligible at ages 18, 19, and 20; players playing in European leagues are eligible at ages 18, 19, 20, and 21; see Section 8.4 of the CBA). This is how Dominik Simon got drafted in 2015 by the Penguins despite being 21.

However, Bergmann played in the USHL for half of his age 18 season and his age 19 and 20 seasons before playing in the DEL last season. Thus, he falls under the category of "players who played in NA leagues" and thus wasn't eligible for the draft at age 21.
HabsForEver liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Quoting: goodfella
Is this a made up name?

Amazing name great player
May 29, 2019 at 6:41 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I understand the rule about signing in the offseason, but it's may and Elite Prospects has him as an eligible draft prospect.

I guess Elite Prospect is wrong

He was eligible. But he signed with SJS, so now he’s not.
May 29, 2019 at 6:56 p.m.
Quoting: EthanK24
He was eligible. But he signed with SJS, so now he’s not.

That's not possible. Either he is eligible, or he isn't.
May 30, 2019 at 3:53 a.m.
Banned
Quote:

Here is an example

You do not need to wait. If you are undrafted, you are free to sign anywhere you choose. It's why teams scout the remaining draft pool and sign kids that did not get picked. It is one of the reasons they limited the number of rounds in the NHL draft, which use to be much longer.[/quote]

He was 20 years old. Not draft eligible anymore. This guy doesn't work[/quote]

He signed at 18 or 19 years old. WTF are you talking about.
May 30, 2019 at 3:57 a.m.

Here is an example

He was 20 years old. Not draft eligible anymore. This guy doesn't work[/quote]

He signed at 18 or 19 years old. WTF are you talking about.[/quote]

Bellerive does not work in this situation because he was signed on September 16th, 2017. Perfectly legal (Between the conclusion of the draft and the beginning of the season). Once the season starts, you have to re-enter that draft. If this contract was signed between July-September, it would make perfect sense. However the contract was not. I know what I am talking about. I would really like someone who is knowledgeable about the rules.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit