SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Chicago Blackhawks signed Dominik Kubalik (1 Year / $1,775,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 29, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Dominik Kubalik has signed a new contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Stan Bowman
Length: 1 year
Value: $1,775,000
Expiry Status: RFA (Arb)
Cap % Tooltip: 1.16
Signing Team: Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks
Signing Date: May 29, 2019
Source: CapFriendly

Dominik Kubalik signed a 1 year, $1,775,000 contract with the Chicago Blackhawks on May 29, 2019. The contract has a cap hit of $925,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2019-20$925,000$1,775,000$850,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL$925,000$1,775,000$850,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
European Union This contract includes a European Assignment Clause
May 29, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
We are all equal
See if he can keep it up playing North American style hockey on a smaller ice surface. 1 year two way ELC low risk and can't go wrong.
AwesomeMatthews and ChiHawk liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Excellent, great potential. Great size, good scorer, good passer, fast skater. I think he should get some time on 1st with Tazer and Kaner, at least few games to see how it goes. At the very worse you have a decent 3rd liner, but I think he will do god on top 2 lines. We will see, the only thing I would prefer is for ELC to be at least 2 years.
KubaH and ChiHawk liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Quoting: weirfanno1
See if he can keep it up playing North American style hockey on a smaller ice surface. 1 year two way ELC low risk and can't go wrong.

Chicago knows what their doing with European players
ChiHawk and weirfanno1 liked this.
May 29, 2019 at 11:41 p.m.
Great pickup. He'll start in the AHL but this guy could be a great bottom 6 winger...has one heck of a shot
May 30, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Great pickup. He'll start in the AHL but this guy could be a great bottom 6 winger...has one heck of a shot

Wedin will be bottom 6, Kubalik must play top 6 role to be productive, IMHO. but we will see, I guess.
May 30, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Quoting: vmach
Wedin will be bottom 6, Kubalik must play top 6 role to be productive, IMHO. but we will see, I guess.

Are you talking about next year? Who do you see him overtaking to play in the top 6 ?
May 30, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Are you talking about next year? Who do you see him overtaking to play in the top 6 ?

CHI lacking both LW beside Kane and Toews and RW beside Cat and Strome. They used Perlini, Caggiula and Kahun in those roles with decent results, but def needs more especially on that 1st LW.
Saad is excellent 2-way player, but he is not a great passer and you must be excellent passer if you want to play with Kane and Cat, so he will stay on 3rd or he might be traded if CHI will acquire someone in a trade of FA.
May 30, 2019 at 2:24 p.m.
CHI lacking both LW beside Kane and Toews and RW beside Cat and Strome. They used Perlini, Caggiula and Kahun in those roles with decent results, but def needs more especially on that 1st LW.
Saad is excellent 2-way player, but he is not a great passer and you must be excellent passer if you want to play with Kane and Cat, so he will stay on 3rd or he might be traded if CHI will acquire someone in a trade of FA.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I don't think Kubalik is half of the player Saad is.
ChiHawk liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
I agree with everything you are saying, but I don't think Kubalik is half of the player Saad is.

And I do agree with you as far as Value goes, players like Saad are hard to find in the league. They are different players, Just because Saad is better doesn't mean he is better fit on 1st or 2nd lines, in fact he is not very good with Kane, Cat and even Toews.
Its like Anisimov arguably decent 3rd liner on below average team, but between Kane and Panarin he was 1st or 2nd C. Its all about your skill set and chemistry wit other players. The skill set Kubalik possesses should fit well on top 6. To have success you need balance and chemistry among your lines. When CHI won those 3 cups they had very little emphasis on line #, Some commentators described it as having - two 2nd and two 3rd lines.
HabsForEver liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.

Wedin won't crack the lineup. The guy has a small shot at making the NHL IMO. Kubalik has a much better shot but top 6 role is a reach for a player of his caliber; put it another way, Kahun is a better player hands down and he has trouble cracking a top 6 role.
May 30, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.

Do you really think Kubalik is a better player then Kahun, Caggs and Perlini? Come on man...there's a reason he's 25 and not in the NHL.
May 30, 2019 at 5:20 p.m.
Do you really think Kubalik is a better player then Kahun, Caggs and Perlini? Come on man...there's a reason he's 25 and not in the NHL.

Very ignorant to say that he isn't good because he isn't in the NHL. There is real talent outside of the NHL. Quit acting like your a scrub if you aren't playing in the NHL.
vmach liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:07 p.m.
Wedin won't crack the lineup. The guy has a small shot at making the NHL IMO. Kubalik has a much better shot but top 6 role is a reach for a player of his caliber; put it another way, Kahun is a better player hands down and he has trouble cracking a top 6 role.

I think Wedin can crack the lineup. I mean look at IceHogs forwards roster. I mean, there is not much there, and when it comes to potential top 6, forget about it.
Kurashev is the only guy who might have top 6 potential in a year or two, and even bottom 6, we are talking Hagel, Entwisle? Barrat in college? that is all.

Wedin played with grown ups in SHL whole year and scored at over 1/2 goals per game, in a tough to score league. Have intensity and can play 200ft game. If he wants the spot, he'll get a chance at it.
Kubalik has pretty much everything, shot, pass, speed, hands, the question mark is his intensity, but supposedly its there.

Is Kahun better player? I don't know what better means? Is he as shifty as Kahun, no he is not. But he does have better shot by a mile and perhaps a bit faster too and bigger. I actually think they will play together for few games at least and if CHI gets Hayes (hope not) that might be your 3rd line, that could be as dynamic as your 2nd. Kubalik-Toews-Kahun another option, depends who CHI acquires.
ChiHawk liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.

He was in Swiss league, that is why he wasn't in the NHL. Some guys don't want to go thru this whole playing in minors ordeal. I get it. I'd rather play in Bern, Zug or Zurich than London or Lightbridge. smile
Especially if you are european, Switzerland is pretty close to his home and they pay nice too. But now that everyone feels like he can play in the NHL, he is coming over.
May 30, 2019 at 8:33 p.m.
Very ignorant to say that he isn't good because he isn't in the NHL. There is real talent outside of the NHL. Quit acting like your a scrub if you aren't playing in the NHL.

Very ignorant to suggest a 25 year old (about to turn 26) in the Swiss league is going to jump into the top 2 lines in the NHL. There is talent outside the NHL, let's just say I know a lot about the DEL league first hand, but the reality is, by the time a player is about to turn 26 the reality of them being a top 2 line forward in the NHL is very slim. If he was 3 years younger there's a better case to be made. Very few players outside of the NHL don't want to play in the NHL.
May 30, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
He was in Swiss league, that is why he wasn't in the NHL. Some guys don't want to go thru this whole playing in minors ordeal. I get it. I'd rather play in Bern, Zug or Zurich than London or Lightbridge. smile
Especially if you are european, Switzerland is pretty close to his home and they pay nice too. But now that everyone feels like he can play in the NHL, he is coming over.

I get it but to that point, how many guys about to turn 26 come over and crack the NHL lineup let alone top 6? It's so rare that I highly doubt he is ever going to be anything more then a bottom 6 player if not a Icehog.
May 30, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Very ignorant to suggest a 25 year old (about to turn 26) in the Swiss league is going to jump into the top 2 lines in the NHL. There is talent outside the NHL, let's just say I know a lot about the DEL league first hand, but the reality is, by the time a player is about to turn 26 the reality of them being a top 2 line forward in the NHL is very slim. If he was 3 years younger there's a better case to be made. Very few players outside of the NHL don't want to play in the NHL.

I'm not saying he's going to jump into Chicago's top 6. I'm simply saying don't say something stupid to try and get your point across.

"by the time a player is about to turn 26 the reality of them being a top 2 line forward in the NHL is very slim"

Who's to say he isn't already a top line winger? Just because he isn't in the NHL, that means he's not a good player? You did a complete 180 on yourself.
May 30, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Edited May 30, 2019 at 8:56 p.m.
I'm not saying he's going to jump into Chicago's top 6. I'm simply saying don't say something stupid to try and get your point across.

"by the time a player is about to turn 26 the reality of them being a top 2 line forward in the NHL is very slim"

Who's to say he isn't already a top line winger? Just because he isn't in the NHL, that means he's not a good player? You did a complete 180 on yourself.

No, Vmach above was talking about him being a top 6 forward, which is what I responded to that you decided to jump in on; nobody is doing a 180, sounds like you are taking this out of context.

Point to examples of players playing in the swiss league that jumped into the NHL as a top 2 line winger at the age of 26.

That was the context of the discussion which is why I brought up Caggs, Kahun, Perlini that have been tried on the top 6. Like I said, there's a reason a player is 26 and not playing in the NHL yet, that doesn't equate to top 6 forward potential historically which is also why most articles have said he has bottom 6 potential. We are talking about the Swiss league, not the KHL or SHL where it is more common but even then not that common at his age.
May 30, 2019 at 9:17 p.m.
No, Vmach above was talking about him being a top 6 forward, which is what I responded to that you decided to jump in on; nobody is doing a 180, sounds like you are taking this out of context.

Point to examples of players playing in the swiss league that jumped into the NHL as a top 2 line winger at the age of 26.

That was the context of the discussion which is why I brought up Caggs, Kahun, Perlini that have been tried on the top 6. Like I said, there's a reason a player is 26 and not playing in the NHL yet, that doesn't equate to top 6 forward potential historically which is also why most articles have said he has bottom 6 potential. We are talking about the Swiss league, not the KHL or SHL where it is more common but even then not that common at his age.

He's 26 and not playing in the NHL because he doesn't want too.
May 30, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
He's 26 and not playing in the NHL because he doesn't want too.

Do you know him personally, did he say this to the press in the past, or are you just guessing? Honest question.

If you're guessing, show me comparable examples of 26 years old coming out the NLA and playing in the NHL at 26 years old, let alone a top 6 role which is what I was debating with vmach. I'm honestly curious because I can't think of any at his age especially.

Like I said earlier, I have very personal experience with DEL which I fall back to, and at that time (10 plus years ago) was a more competitive league then the NLA (perhaps debatable now) and there were maybe 3 or 4 guys in the entire DEL league that should have been playing in the NHL that weren't at the end of their careers and already came from the NHL. All of them were in the DEL making more money then they would have in the NHL, but none of those 3 or 4 guys would have been top 6 players or top 4 on D which is why they wouldn't have made in the NHL what they were making with the DEL and as such, why they stayed in Germany.

Bottom line; 98% of players who are projected in a top 6 role in the NHL don't play overseas versus the NHL mid career which is back to my point, i like what I've seen of Kubalik and really hope he's a needle in a haystack but for now he's a bottom 6 player and if that hawks get that out of him, they've done well.
May 30, 2019 at 10:30 p.m.
I get it but to that point, how many guys about to turn 26 come over and crack the NHL lineup let alone top 6? It's so rare that I highly doubt he is ever going to be anything more then a bottom 6 player if not a Icehog.

Panarin, Dadonov, also Kahun would have been one of them if he came to NHL in 3 years, instead of now. Plus next year Gusev and Mikheyev will do just the same.
It happens a lot with Russians and Swiss players because there is not NHL contract reciprocity. Shalunov might do the same next year when his KHL contract will expire, but he needs to sober up a little if he wants to make to top 6 on Hawks smile
May 30, 2019 at 10:45 p.m.

Everyone matures at their own pace. Dadonov didn't want to mature in NHL and play on on AHL teams so he went back home and came back to FL at age 28 and killing it now.
Kubalik wasn't all that good and knew he was not going to be an NHLer in his early 20s. But he finally matured at 23-24 and now he is ready for NHL. There are many examples of NHL players finally having their breakthru year at round 25-27 or so. It happens. Kubalik decided to mature in Swiss league, that is all. Will he be top 6 or not we will see, but I expect him to be good. If CHI get Panarin or similar, well I guess he could fall to bottom 6 smile
May 30, 2019 at 11:47 p.m.
Everyone matures at their own pace. Dadonov didn't want to mature in NHL and play on on AHL teams so he went back home and came back to FL at age 28 and killing it now.
Kubalik wasn't all that good and knew he was not going to be an NHLer in his early 20s. But he finally matured at 23-24 and now he is ready for NHL. There are many examples of NHL players finally having their breakthru year at round 25-27 or so. It happens. Kubalik decided to mature in Swiss league, that is all. Will he be top 6 or not we will see, but I expect him to be good. If CHI get Panarin or similar, well I guess he could fall to bottom 6 smile

I think the key here is there is a big difference and certainly more common in the KHL (Dadonov)...totally different ballgame there over the swiss league. The NLA is not at the level of play as the KHL or SHL. Even DEL is more talented arguably then the NLA, but those two are pretty close. While I agree some players mature later, he's 26 and playing in the 6th or 7th best league in the world. Hard to tell if and how that translates to a shot at the NHL. I do think he'll get a good chance in the NHL, just don't see him being a top 6.

Keep in mind, players from all over the world play in these leagues as you know, so hometown countries are somewhat irrelevant accept in the sense that a player would rather develop at home versus the AHL, NCAA or OHL. The top 3; NHL > KHL > SHL are miles better then the rest of the top 10, DEL, NLA, AHL, Czech, Finnish leagues, etc. all being in the top 10.

Look, I'd love the Hawks to find a needle in a haystack in Kubalik but given his age and performance in a league that isn't close to the NHL, I just don't want to get my hopes up. Kahun was the hot (needle in a haystack) talk last year and this year it appears to be Kubalik.
May 31, 2019 at 12:57 a.m.
I think the key here is there is a big difference and certainly more common in the KHL (Dadonov)...totally different ballgame there over the swiss league. The NLA is not at the level of play as the KHL or SHL. Even DEL is more talented arguably then the NLA, but those two are pretty close. While I agree some players mature later, he's 26 and playing in the 6th or 7th best league in the world. Hard to tell if and how that translates to a shot at the NHL. I do think he'll get a good chance in the NHL, just don't see him being a top 6.

Keep in mind, players from all over the world play in these leagues as you know, so hometown countries are somewhat irrelevant accept in the sense that a player would rather develop at home versus the AHL, NCAA or OHL. The top 3; NHL > KHL > SHL are miles better then the rest of the top 10, DEL, NLA, AHL, Czech, Finnish leagues, etc. all being in the top 10.

Look, I'd love the Hawks to find a needle in a haystack in Kubalik but given his age and performance in a league that isn't close to the NHL, I just don't want to get my hopes up. Kahun was the hot (needle in a haystack) talk last year and this year it appears to be Kubalik.

I'd agree with you, it was needle in a hay stag in the past, but now a days its more common. The reason, as previously stated, lots of Swiss and Russians, don't wanna go AHL route and instead they develop at home while making good money. There is no limit on when they can sign with a team that drafted them, so they are not in a hurry. Its a newer trend that started shortly after cap era started. Then they come when fully grown and ready. Look at Gusev, guy just blew his ELC without playing a single game. Now he is an NHL player that will make around $4M, again without playing a single game in NHL or AHL. Its smart, for those who have talent and not worried about missing the NHL boat. I think Radulov pulled something similar a while back, came back for playoffs and stayed with Trashvile. I get it your are skeptical, NLA is not the best league, but guy is a leader there, plus look at his world performance across the board, 6 goals 6 assist, he looked good, Kane only scored 2 wink

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit