SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

It seems that Zaitsev has asked for a trade

May 30, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Pmwalker
They tried trading him last season and found no takers. It’s gonna take retention or a sweetener. Let’s be realistic.

The Leafs were not willing to trade Z for nothing last year, and there was a market for a cheap deal last year. It has been widely reported that the internet seriously undervalues what the Leafs could get in a Z trade.

Someone traded for Erik Gudbranson. They also signed Jack Johnsson. Someone paid Ceci twice to three times as much as he is worth. Someone will take him, mark my words.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: ThatGuy
Is filling Gardners, Zaitsev, Hainsey's roster spot for a couple of AHL D and a cheap FA really the best solution?

Short term no, long term yes.
May 30, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Pmwalker
Quoting: Random2152
The Leafs were not willing to trade Z for nothing last year, and there was a market for a cheap deal last year. It has been widely reported that the internet seriously undervalues what the Leafs could get in a Z trade.

Someone traded for Erik Gudbranson. They also signed Jack Johnsson. Someone paid Ceci twice to three times as much as he is worth. Someone will take him, mark my words.

I don’t doubt someone will. It will require retention, equal contract back, sweetener or accepting a **** trade though.
May 30, 2019 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
Question.. what do the Leafs and the Easter Bunny have in common? .. both never make it to May

Good one
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:01 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Pmwalker
I don’t doubt someone will. It will require retention, equal contract back, sweetener or accepting a **** trade though.

Allow me to point out that the following players currently constitute the right side of Anaheim's defense when Josh Manson isn't on the ice: 31-year-old UFA Korbinian Holzer, who played only 22 games for us last year despite being healthy and who has all of 157 games' experience over 7 (!) seasons; RFA Jake Dotchin, who played 20 games for us last year, had one point and has 103 games in the NHL; UFA Andy Welinski, who has 33 games in the NHL; and UFA Andrej Sustr, who clearly appears to be at the end of his career.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Allow me to point out that the following players currently constitute the right side of Anaheim's defense when Josh Manson isn't on the ice: 31-year-old UFA Korbinian Holzer, who played only 22 games for us last year despite being healthy and who has all of 157 games' experience over 7 (!) seasons; RFA Jake Dotchin, who played 20 games for us last year, had one point and has 103 games in the NHL; UFA Andy Welinski, who has 33 games in the NHL; and UFA Andrej Sustr, who clearly appears to be at the end of his career.

It's almost like RHD are worth something because there aren't alot of them around? That's a decent working theory you have there, OldNY
OldNYIfan and BOLTLOVER1 liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:10 p.m.

That also explains Ducks's position in the standings, doesn't it
May 30, 2019 at 6:16 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
It's almost like RHD are worth something because there aren't alot of them around? That's a decent working theory you have there, OldNY

Yes, especially reasonably good penalty killers. (I think having to spend so much time killing penalties led in no small part to a downgrade in Manson's performance this past season.) That's why I think all these posts showing Toronto sending a third with Zaitsev in order to get back a sixth are bull****. If I was Bob Murray, or Rob Blake for that matter, I would happily send the Maple Leafs a fourth for Zaitsev, alone.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: TheChief
That also explains Ducks's position in the standings, doesn't it

In large part, yes. I also detected a rather disturbing undercurrent running through this team in December and January -- that many of them had just quit caring.
May 30, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
What in tarnation
In large part, yes. I also detected a rather disturbing undercurrent running through this team in December and January -- that many of them had just quit caring.

Indeed. My personal motto actual stands for this quite well: If you want to get some sh*t, you gotta give some sh*t.

That works in general life as well. And hockey, too.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Indeed. My personal motto actual stands for this quite well: If you want to get some sh*t, you gotta give some sh*t.

That works in general life as well. And hockey, too.

Yeah, and I think that Bob Murray had at least an inkling of that before he decided to step behind the bench for the balance of the season instead of hiring a caretaker interim coach -- he wanted to see up close whose heart was really still in it.
May 30, 2019 at 6:46 p.m.
Yes, especially reasonably good penalty killers. (I think having to spend so much time killing penalties led in no small part to a downgrade in Manson's performance this past season.) That's why I think all these posts showing Toronto sending a third with Zaitsev in order to get back a sixth are bull****. If I was Bob Murray, or Rob Blake for that matter, I would happily send the Maple Leafs a fourth for Zaitsev, alone.

It's too bad it looks like were losing Z but I can understand it both from the leafs cap perspective and from Z's as well. Being a scapegoat in Toronto can't be a fun role to play.

Z has value and will bring something back. People were saying the same thing about Matt Martin last something and we found a home for him and he brought a piece back.

Regardless, now the hunt for defense begins..
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 10:43 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: MacerV
Might be, or might not. He could have a good showing. Just turned 25 and was one of the best defenders in the AHL (was 2nd in the AHL version of the Norris if I recall correctly). Borgman ain't bad either and could bring a nice level of physicality to the leafs.

Its not likely to be pretty but I mean its going to give the leafs some time to evaluate what they got.

Muzzin - Rielly
Rosen - Liljegren
Sandin - Borgman

Help cry so 4 rookies
need to get some training and scrimaging over the offseason
well, you never know till you try...
May 30, 2019 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Help cry so 4 rookies
need to get some training and scrimaging over the offseason
well, you never know till you try...

Technically 3. Borgman doesn't qualify for the Calder as he's played half a season in the NHL. This is also assuming they don't trade or sign any additional players which I would imagine is unlikely.
May 30, 2019 at 10:49 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
It depends what teams have Muzzinian defenseman
Nikita played well with thy muzz, and if teams have muzzinlike defensemen, we might not have to retain.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll