SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic Habs 19-20 with 2 other team fans trade ideas and 2 realistic signings

Created by: F50marco
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2019
Published: Jun. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
-Multiple people have mentioned a Shaw+2nd for Brodie+4th trade with CGY. I added a little extra on Habs side and removed the CGY 4th to hopefully seal the deal. There is also some cap savings to CGY. Habs intention is to resign Brodie afterwards.

-Leddy has been brought up by multiple NYI fans and Tatar has been the principle agreed upon fair return for the main piece. Just to calm any additional complaints, I added a goalie prospect that Isles have reportedly already inquired about in the past as as well as a 5th rounder for good measure. There is also some cap saving here obviously.

-Losing Shaw and Tatar in those deals means we'll need some net front presence as well as some goal scoring ability. Ferland being only 27 is a perfect fit to replace some of Shaw's physical gritty game and to replace some of Tatar's offense. He can play up and down the lineup in multiple roles so he's versatile. 5M for 5 years for a 27 year old is perfectly fine by me and should be in line with what he is expected to sign for. I even think he's closer to 4X4 and so does EvolvingWild's projection but being its Montreal I overspent to ensure we get him.

-Elliot is a good backup for Price. Has played more games than an average backup has in the past so he should be ready for 25 or so games. When given a solid D core, he has put up decent numbers in the past. He's just not a #1 goalie anymore. I think he'll give the Habs what they need in a backup role. Adequate goaltending is all they need.

-Mete and Juulsen to Laval this year. Mete needs to get big minutes and improve his offensive game and the additions of Leddy and Brodie all but mean he is the odd man out. Juulsen's injuries have halted his development so playing big minutes in Laval will help him more than bottom 6 in Montreal. Suzuki plays in Laval next year no matter what. That team needs a star player and they now finally have one. He'll get big time minutes. The goal is to have the Laval rocket get some playoff exposure. So if we need to sign some extra AHL vets to ensure it, so be it. Too many playoff misses has crippling for young players development in the AHL IMO.

-RFA's Reilly, Hudon, McCarron, Olofsson, Audette all not resigned. We could resign some of them but frankly Im not at all worried about losing those guys and no team is paying anything for them so might as well just cut your loss and move on.

-Habs draft BPA with 2019 1st rounder.

-Alzner bought out. Yeah he ould help the Laval rocket but in all fairness not really. He'd be taking away time from Mete and I think Ouellett is a better player so he'd only get bottom 6 minutes in Laval anyway. Leskinen also needs a spot. His buyout is very palpable and barely affects the Habs negatively. Gives Alzner a fresh start somewhere else which is what he deserves. There really is no reason to keep him in Laval anymore. The benefits of buying him out outweigh the benefits of keeping him so just him out already.

-Peca and Weise may be sent down to AHL at a certain point but if claimed on waivers are no big loss to the Habs as they are pending UFA's anyway.

This team can do some damage if two things happen. Team stays overall healthy. This applies to pretty much any team in the league though so its a prerequisite for success. And Kotkaniemi and Poehling make moderate progressive strides in their development. If KK is a 45+ point getter and plays 16+ minutes a night. Perfect. If Poehling gets anywhere between 30-40 points and provides solid 3rd line minutes with some PP time, Perfect!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,300,000
2$2,500,000
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
4$5,000,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Shaw, Andrew
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  3. 2019 5th round pick (ARI)
NYI
  1. Lindgren, Charlie
  2. Tatar, Tomas
  3. 2019 5th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$74,451,987$0$3,350,000$8,548,013
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,650,400$4,650,400
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Banned
Why is MTL giving up a young top-six forward for an aging dman?
Jun. 1, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Why is MTL giving up a young top-six forward for an aging dman?

Lol rolling eyes "Aging dman"?

Uuughhhh ......... Every main guy in both deals is within 13 months of each other in age......... Guess Tatar and Shaw are aging forwards then?
Jun. 1, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
What will be Alzner’s buyout caphit for the 2020-21 season?
Jun. 1, 2019 at 9:16 p.m.
Quoting: GO_HABS_GO
What will be Alzner’s buyout caphit for the 2020-21 season?

I mean, there's literally a buyout calculator on this website. If I remember correctly its like 4M? I could be wrong though.
Jun. 3, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
Habs fan somehow
Love this kind of marginal yet realistic proposals.

That being said, a couple of questions:
Why shed 2 relatively cheap top 6 wingers (and a 2nd) now? Would it not be better to wait for TDL?
Why add 2 top 4 LD, not one, especially if it pushes Mete to the farm team?
If both Brodie and Leddy are around come expansion draft, how do you deal with the protection list?
Jun. 3, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
Love this kind of marginal yet realistic proposals.

That being said, a couple of questions:
Why shed 2 relatively cheap top 6 wingers (and a 2nd) now? Would it not be better to wait for TDL?
Why add 2 top 4 LD, not one, especially if it pushes Mete to the farm team?
If both Brodie and Leddy are around come expansion draft, how do you deal with the protection list?

Thanks, here's my thought:

As much as I like Shaw and Tatar, they're the most likely and probable expenditures to acquiring a top 4 dmen. you ahve to give to get. Habs fans around here think Lehkonen and Hudon are these super rare valuable players that can acquire anything we ant and is simply not true. it needs to be guys considered in our top 6 most likely. Shaw, although plays on our top line with Drouin and Domi is not a top liner. He is more naturally a solid 3rd liner on a cup team. Problem is we already have oodles of 3/4th liners. Armia, Byron, Lehkonen, etc. Rather than force another one of these guys down the line into a 4th line role, trading Shaw solves both problems while not devolving another's place in the lineup. If you are going to play Shaw on the fourth line than you might as well move him. Same goes for Armia, Byron etc. This is a classic example of taking what you have depth of (Habs have depth at wing) and trading it to another team for a position of weakness while satisfying the other teams needs using their depth. I could maybe go the prospect and pick route but I would rather not sacrifice any of those. I'd rather sacrifice Tatar and Shaw over our future because hopefully they would be replaced in the not too distant future anyway.(Suzuki, Poehling, etc) Not too mention that I added Ferland to dampen the loss of Shaw and Tatar for the right now. Adding Ferland is congruent on losing both Shaw and Tatar.

I'm adding two top 4 dmen because I can, quite simply. I think anyone who thinks this d core is cup calibre, is fooling themselves. Mete has been a bright spot on a less than average left side. Just because he's our best LHD doesn't mean that is a good thing. That means our LHD overall is very bad if Mete is your best LHD. I don't like that Mete isn't scoring any goals and not leading the charge on the PP, etc. He's been put into a position where he needs to be better than what he was projected to do in the first place. He was a 4th round pick for a reason. Hes' got no hands and no shot. So give him AHL time on the PP to evolve into that type of player we're trying to make him. His stint in the AHL last year did wonders for him but it wasn't long enough. Our defense was atrocious and we had no other options than to bring him back right when he started to show his offense. I think an extra year will do him wonders. He's not there because he failed in the NHL. He's there because Habs brought in big quality dmen. Aside from Mete being sent down now, this decore can compete with anyone in the league. That is 4 dmen who can all score over 40+ points and get significant ice time in any situation. Giving Kulak and Folin the true bottom pair minutes they deserve and not trying to fit these two square pegs into our top 4 defense holes. Habs have a knack of thinking this is normal practice. It shouldn't be. its only done out of necessity because we have no depth. Now that we have it, there's no need to put players in positions where they have a high risk of failure. Kulak surprised yes but he is by no means a top 4 dman. He needs repeated success to prove that. Mete need to earn it because right now he was being given a role he hasn't quite earned on the back of a GM who thought a left side of defense of Alzner/Reilly/Mete/Ouellet was somehow get us in the playoffs??......

The 3rd question is a good one though that I didn't think of. In this case I think I would lean on the idea of NOT resigning Brodie (Modifying the trade accordingly by taking off the pick or Lindgren) and simply keeping Leddy till expansion. That way by that time it should be Weber/Leddy/Mete as our 3 protected with Kulak being the hopeful scapegoat selection. (Unless a better option is available but no one knows yet so..)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll